Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

15 hours ago, Bruh Man said:

I can't believe you think we are on this level of (digital) marketing. Seriously, if you post anything we've put out today that is on this level I'll admit that I'm wrong.

LMAO

Gooners goin' hard after the Antifa crowd.

Go git 'em boys!

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 7

6 minutes ago, Cap Hooked said:

Huh??? How?

It's all ballbearings these days.

Maybe the millenials wearing hoodies not showing faces creeping around parking garages is supposed to throw a Belichick vibe, who knows?

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 7

So now that ILB is secured, should we start panicking about depth at DT with a potential move to a 4-3?

Wilbon and Chisholm are seniors. Christmas a Junior.

We have Coburn and Ojomo as Freshman.

We recruited Broughton (DE/DT) and Gorman.

I'm guessing several of our young DE guys fall into a DT slot?

5 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

So I read through the last three pages and did not see much speculation on the possible names for the 4 extra people Tom says he can get.

It's kind of the nature of the beast post-NSD1. Guys like Christian Jones, Moro Ojomo, Parker Braun, and (especially) Juwan Mitchell popped up out of what felt like almost nowhere.

Parsing through film of all the unsigned guys is what our fleet of analysts is for. Plus we have to figure out which transfer guys fit with what we need and are interested.

Edited by texifornia

6 minutes ago, MoJames said:

So now that ILB is secured, should we start panicking about depth at DT with a potential move to a 4-3?

How could you forget Sweat?

12 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

So I read through the last three pages and did not see much speculation on the possible names for the 4 extra people Tom says he can get.

16 minutes ago, MoJames said:

We know one name now, so let's say there are still 4ish spots.

CB - The name we know is the Georgia kid, Isaiah Dunson. Anything else would be unknown as Jahdae Barron signed with Baylor, somewhat unexpectedly yesterday

DT - Collins/Princely - Of note here: IT is speculating that moving to a 4 down line helps recruiting, but they'll probably recruit mostly big frame ends that will grow into tackles unless they find a guy like Coburn

RB - Bradford is the name we know, and idk that this is actually a need depending on what they do with RoJo and Whittington

WR - Dixon and Savion Williams

So now we wait for more names. I don't know any other names floating around other than wishcasted board names.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

CB - The name we know is the Georgia kid, Isaiah Dunson. Anything else would be unknown as Jahdae Barron signed with Baylor, somewhat unexpectedly yesterday

DT - Collins/Princely - Of note here: IT is speculating that moving to a 4 down line helps recruiting, but they'll probably recruit mostly big frame ends that will grow into tackles unless they find a guy like Coburn

RB - Bradford is the name we know, and idk that this is actually a need depending on what they do with RoJo and Whittington

So now we wait for more names. I don't know any other names floating around other than wishcasted board names.

only addition/change/update is that Dixon could also fit in at DB also, right?

6 minutes ago, NoName said:

only addition/change/update is that Dixon could also fit in at DB also, right?

Yes, he does have some positional flexibility. I don't know his temperament well enough to speculate where his best fit might be, but he might be a little lean for defense.

I also neglected to mention McGlothern, but I have a hard time believing that happens anyway.

Edit: @golfclap beat me to it on 5* Dwight

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter

7 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Looks like the big get on that list is Alfred Collins.

1 hour ago, MoJames said:

1. I hope ILB isn’t done. We need to take 2 this class, whether it’s another LB or potential spin down safety. I’d also like to see a JUCO or GT there too. If the Juco’s young enough, then we might only need one. 
2. Coburn and Ojomo are both second year players going into year three so they should be ready to carry the load at DT this year, plus we have Graham who will be a senior and then Sweat will be a sophomore. We currently have 2 DL with some DT potential and the possibility of landing two more (Princely and Collins) plus potential late bloomers. We do need at least one more guy with DT potential, but you’d like to get both. 

Also have to keep in mind that there are quite a few grad transfers that have ties to Texas, so we could add some guys at DL or LB that way too for 2020. 

33 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

This is a good list. We went light on corner last year, so taking 1 this class would be a mistake IMO. I’d like to see us get Bradford so Whittington could potentially move to WR if we get thin there. 

Would be nice to get every guy you listed plus another LB option, but they’ll also want to save some spots for transfers, so who knows how many they’re willing to take out of HS. I’m sure we’ll have some more attrition this year with so much staff turnover. 

20 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Looks like the big get on that list is Alfred Collins.

By far the biggest target left. Him not picking between Baylor and OU has to be a good sign for us, but it’s hard to say how much of a chance we really have with him because he keeps it close to the vest. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’d like to see us get Bradford so Whittington could potentially move to WR if we get thin there. 

The effect of landing Bradford might be felt in the '21 class. While I'm not expecting to land Wheaton, only needing one of Wheaton/LJ Johnson/Brandon Campbell is a positive. But if you don't get Bradford, it's grad transfer or nothing imo. 

So I just saw that Rivals has our class at #21 in the nation right now, even after Ford.   Once again, they’re drastically underrating our class compared to the other sites and it’s not a state of Texas thing because it doesn’t underrate A&M at all year to year, and usually has them higher. Those chodes at Rivals really do hate UT.

Here’s my old post on this topic: 

On 8/13/2019 at 12:27 PM, Burt Macklin said:

I just double checked to see if I remembered correctly and since 2013 (as far back as I felt like going), Rivals has had our class ranked lower than the composite every single year. Usually about 3-4 spots lower. A couple years it was like 8 spots lower. 

I haven’t checked Texas state recruits in general. I always figured it was Farrell’s anti-UT bias, but it could also be that they have a bigger flaw in their process (like a weak Texas regional guy) that systematically underrates recruits in the state of Texas.

EDIT: Nope. Just checked for aggy, and majority of the years since 2013, Rivals has had aggy higher than the composite, so it certainly seems to be a UT bias, rather than the entire state of Texas. I’m not going to take the time to check individual recruits from the state of Texas for each year. 

For 2020, we’re currently #9 in the composite, 247 has us 14th, and ESPN has us 10th while Rivals has us 21st. 

For reference A&M is 6th composite, 6th in 247, 8th ESPN, and 6th on Rivals.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

So I just saw that Rivals has our class at #21 in the nation right now, even after Ford.   Once again, they’re drastically underrating our class compared to the other sites and it’s not a state of Texas thing because it doesn’t underrate A&M at all year to year, and usually has them higher. Those chodes at Rivals really do hate UT.

For 2020, we’re currently #9 in the composite, 247 has us 14th, and ESPN has us 10th while Rivals has us 21st. 

Man, for us to be 9th with those input rankings, there must be some schools with absolutely wild variances between services.

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

and I still wouldn't swap classes with them. 

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Man, for us to be 9th with those input rankings, there must be some schools with absolutely wild variances between services.

Yeah, 8-18 nationally are all pretty damn close.

I’m also not sure how 247 calculates composite class rankings. I’d guess they put together a composite score for each player and then use their own calculation for determining class score, so ESPN and Rivals may calculate class scores completely differently, which could explain some of the variation in class scores.

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’m also not sure how 247 calculates composite class rankings. I’d guess they put together a composite score for each player and then use their own calculation for determining class score, so ESPN and Rivals may calculate class scores completely differently, which could explain some of the variation in class scores.

I thought I read somewhere that Rivals does not weight quantity by star rating and 247 composite does which is why top heavy classes get preferential ratings from Rivals. They'll reward you for your 4-5 top guys and not penalize you for bread. 

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

At the prospect level, they say they weight all services equally.  At the class level, they use a formula which may have some bonuses for highly ranked players, etc..

But they would need to have some pretty heavy additional factors influencing the result of their formulae if they can combine class ranks of #10, #14 and #21 to come up with a composite ranking of ... #9.

6 minutes ago, Getafix said:

At the prospect level, they say they weight all services equally.  At the class level, they use a formula which may have some bonuses for highly ranked players, etc..

But they would need to have some pretty heavy additional factors influencing the result of their formulae if they can combine class ranks of #10, #14 and #21 to come up with a composite ranking of ... #9.

Or there's a lot of variance, so that schools that are above us in certain polls are tanked in others.

8 minutes ago, Ricky Butler said:

Any LBs you were thinking about? 

Not that I know of at LB unfortunately. Mannie Netherly and Obi Eboh at CB and Micheal Williams and Isaiah Chambers at DL all have Texas ties, but I haven’t really kept up with how they performed/why they’re transferring. 

20 minutes ago, Getafix said:

That’s what I meant. Rivals may ding smaller classes more than 247 in the class score formula, so that even if 247 only used Rivals player rankings, its class formula would put us higher than 21.

2 hours ago, MoJames said:

We also have Sweat and Carson that will play inside.

This team has plenty of depth at DL.

Inside guys - Graham, Coburn, Ojomo, Carson, Sweat, Broughton, and Goram-Welch

Outside guys - Bimage, Jones, Warren, Mpagi, Ossai, Hobbs, and Dorbah

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Or there's a lot of variance, so that schools that are above us in certain polls are tanked in others.

Tex - that wouldn't do it.

- Assuming equal weighting of the services at the class level, we would be #15

- Assuming unequal weighting, best case would be #10 (basically, 100%, 0%, 0%)

- If there are bonuses and fudge factors at the player level, put in by 247 when they calculate the individual player level composites, and then perhaps added something at the class level, I suppose it's possible, not sure .... but that's distorting things to the point where you would question the value of a composite.

In simple terms, to combine #10, #14 and #24 to come up with #9 (which is substantially better than ALL THREE of the individual ranks) is pretty bizarre, if not incorrect.  

WElls floats another name, but this is trash

Jahmyr Gibbs - RB

https://247sports.com/Player/Jahmyr-Gibbs-46080991/

This is the guy who Georgia and Ohio State had on the back burner and Florida has done two in homes in two weeks all while he's committed to GTech. Sooooo......draw your own conclusions.