Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 minute ago, Getafix said:

Tex - that wouldn't do it.

- Assuming equal weighting of the services at the class level, we would be #15

- Assuming unequal weighting, best case would be #10 (basically, 100%, 0%, 0%)

- If there are bonuses and fudge factors at the player level, put in by 247 when they calculate the individual player level composites, and then perhaps added something at the class level, I suppose it's possible, not sure .... but that's distorting things to the point where you would question the value of a composite.

In simple terms, to combine #10, #14 and #24 to come up with #9 (which is substantially better than ALL THREE of the individual ranks) is pretty bizarre, if not incorrect. 

We've hit the limits of the amount of math I want to think about in any given year, so I'll take your word for it!

7 minutes ago, Getafix said:

- If there are bonuses and fudge factors at the player level, put in by 247 when they calculate the individual player level composites, and then perhaps added something at the class level, I suppose it's possible, not sure .... but that's distorting things to the point where you would question the value of a composite.

In simple terms, to combine #10, #14 and #24 to come up with #9 (which is substantially better than ALL THREE of the individual ranks) is pretty bizarre, if not incorrect.  

So if Aggy was #9, #6, and #102 (BOMC), as were a few other teams (substantial variances), whereas we are #10, #14 and #24, you're saying that wouldn't do it? 

Edited by KYHorn
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Getafix said:

The composite class ranking is 247's ranking of composite score players grouped by school. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Nah. Tex is correct (though admittedly, it seems screwy when you consider that all 3 services are assessing the same classes).

Just think of it as taking the GMAT. You can score in 80th percentile in each of the math and verbal sections and overall you score in 95th percentile because the math nerds who beat your math score can't write good and the people who enjoy reading and beat your verbal score think 4+4=potato.

Basically there can be teams ahead of us in Rivals ranking that are *way* behind us in ESPN and end up behind us in composite.

Or you're right. But there's definitely scenarios where 10, 14 and 24 can come out to 9th overall

• Like 1

I reverse engineered 247s personal composite score once.

It's close to this but I might misremember some of this.

They take your percentile rank from each service assuming x recruits (I believe 3,000 recruits).  So position 300=0.900

From there, the 247 rank counts double.

Then, instead of a simple average it's the root of the average of the squares, which basically makes your lower ranks hurt you more than simple average.  Which is why say, Rivals can promote a player 30 spots and their composite will jump drastically if Rivals was their low score.

The composite class scores are from composite player rankings, not team ranking composites.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, TommyGufano said:

Just think of it as taking the GMAT. You can score in 80th percentile in each of the math and verbal sections and overall you score in 95th percentile because the math nerds who beat your math score can't write good and the people who enjoy reading and beat your verbal score think 4+4=potato.

You take my academic journey out of your mouth

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, JBJ said:

I reverse engineered 247s personal composite score once.

It's close to this but I might misremember some of this.

They take your percentile rank from each service assuming x recruits (I believe 3,000 recruits).  So position 300=0.900

From there, the 247 rank counts double.

Then, instead of a simple average it's the root of the average of the squares, which basically makes your lower ranks hurt you more than simple average.  Which is why say, Rivals can promote a player 30 spots and their composite will jump drastically if Rivals was their low score.

The composite class scores are from composite player rankings, not team ranking composites.

1234 for the numbnuts in this thread.

17 minutes ago, Foggy Notion said:

I saw Ennis Rakestraw shut down Rakim Jarrett when St. John’s played Duncanville. He did the same thing last week against Jaxon Smith Njigba. I've been hoping he’d get on Herman’s radar. 

Physically, he reminds me of Aaron Ross.  Same body type 

11 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

That offer list is less than inspiring - grades?  I know he wasn't 'missed' - he plays at Duncanville.

Not sure if it’s grades related. I’ll try to find out. Duncanville has a few kids that played at a really high level but weren’t known names going into the season like JQJ, Chris Thompson and Savion Byrd. They have a RB named Trysten Smith and a LB/safety hybrid named Paul Pickens who are both underrated as well. I’d never heard of Rakestraw before the season but he ended up being one of my favorite guys on that defense. 

2 minutes ago, Sabalo said:

He only weighs 150. I wonder how much Duncanville's overall defense contributed to him shutting down those receivers. Glad we're looking at him.

Listed height/weights (for all they're worth) show him as comparable size-wise to Pouncey

https://247sports.com/Player/Ethan-Pouncey-46079307/

https://247sports.com/Player/Ennis-Rakestraw-46081865/

Edited by texifornia

21 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

That offer list is less than inspiring - grades?  I know he wasn't 'missed' - he plays at Duncanville.

maybe it isn't a legit 6' 165# (from 247)?

his twitter says he is a 6'1", 170# now - https://twitter.com/EnnisRakestraw

his 2 most recent follows are Super K and a defensive QC at tOSU (side note, dude needs to clean up the NSFW follows he currently has lol)

rivals has a link to him talking about a recent SMU offer here: https://smu.rivals.com/news/duncanville-cb-ennis-rakestraw-talks-new-smu-offer (paywall)

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

his 2 most recent follows are Super K and a defensive QC at tOSU (side note, dude needs to clean up the NSFW follows he currently has lol)

rivals has a link to him talking about a recent SMU offer here: https://smu.rivals.com/news/duncanville-cb-ennis-rakestraw-talks-new-smu-offer (paywall)

he has someone tweeting @ Mike Gundy about him

Fig0ZIl4

hes fast evidently:

CpgGc7DN

i mean, honestly the dude looks like he is 160 lb smoking wet, from his at home with Colorado State.

Spoiler

EK1WxxgWwAEUPOw.jpg?format=jpg&name=orig

also there are a ton of Mizzou fans in his mentions in the last couple of weeks and change

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Foosters said:

Schools don't think he's talented enough to deserve a scholarship. I don't have any inside info, but that's usually why kids aren't offered scholarships.

i mean, he has legit offers...Air Force & Army + Colorado St, North Texas, SMU, Washington St, Wyoming

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Any reason for confidence in this one? (honest question)

He's clearly looking around for a big program that wants him based on all the Bama/UF/tOSU flirting, and we took an RB from a GAHSFB power a couple cycles ago. Also he tagged Kenyatta Watson's dad in his tweet.

So nothing concrete, but some decent circumstantial stuff.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Could be

1) He grew in his senior year

2) He had horrible jr year tape

3) Didn't hit the camp circuit hard

4) Late bloomer

addressing #1: he was 6', 157 at the Opening in March 2019, his twitter now says he is 6'1" and 170 (self reported, so take it w a grain of salt)

addressing #3: evidently he got turned away at some UA camp?

Edited by NoName

29 minutes ago, NoName said:

I saw him play against SLC and he's a good CB,  but he really doesn't look 6'1".  

13 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He's clearly looking around for a big program that wants him based on all the Bama/UF/tOSU flirting, and we took an RB from a GAHSFB power a couple cycles ago. Also he tagged Kenyatta Watson's dad in his tweet.

So nothing concrete, but some decent circumstantial stuff.

I was wondering if Watson Sr. was involved in our late interest in Georgia guys (Gibbs, Battle, I think there was another CB that signed with someone else yesterday). It would make sense if the staff is looking for new targets. 

8 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I was wondering if Watson Sr. was involved in our late interest in Georgia guys (Gibbs, Battle, I think there was another CB that signed with someone else yesterday). It would make sense if the staff is looking for new targets. 

It would. Also that's been Washington's region and for all his faults he's an energetic recruiter who's happy to dip outside his position group.

4 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

We also have Sweat and Carson that will play inside.

This team has plenty of depth at DL.

Inside guys - Graham, Coburn, Ojomo, Carson, Sweat, Broughton, and Goram-Welch

Outside guys - Bimage, Jones, Warren, Mpagi, Ossai, Hobbs, and Dorbah

Isn’t Mpagi battling some type of heart issue. Not sure he’s gonna be a factor. Still plenty of bodies though