Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

38 minutes ago, Fud said:

The apology reminded me of when the North Shore coaches made him visit Texas again and basically apologize after he bailed on a weekend. Probably wasn't his idea 

Yeah, when a multitude of coaches and former players are trying to change your behavior and you are still a punk, maybe you aren't worth all the bullshit. Did he do that interview before or after he scored the TD and went and put on the crown? Not that it matters, because either way it was just another stupid immature decision by the dumbshit.

IT: Humidor - Nahlin and Wells

Spoiler

The new year brings a new day as Tom Herman looks to right the ship after a good bowl victory and huge staff shake-up.

#####

IT: Why did Cort Jaquess get the start? Funny question to lead with but he's been a big topic.

Source: That's probably the wrong question. Why did they wait so long to give him some live reps? He's always been one of the hardest workers in practice and one of the hardest hitters. How he runs down on kicks is how he practices every day. I'm sure part of it was a nod to him being from San Antonio but I bet Naivar had been wondering the same thing I was and finally got his chance to do something about it. Plus, that's the game to play Cort if you're ever going to. He still has two years left so it'll be interesting to see how the new linebacker coach views him. I wouldn't tell the new coach he's a former walk on.

IT: The linebackers seemed to play better in general.

Source: I'm convinced not playing Ossai on the line of scrimmage cost Orlando his job. Everything was made easier by that, including linebacker play. If your gap is filled, flow to the ball and that's it. Juwan and Dele played well too. UT always plays run-first teams well. But that should have been the defense all year.

IT: Playing Utah helped. Would that have worked versus OU?

Source: With Jalen Hurts at quarterback? That's the exact defense they should have been running.

IT: What did this win do for the players?

Source: It restores confidence and starts to restore trust in coaching. They know more changes are on the way but there's a lot of excitement about what the new coordinators bring to the table. This was a good reminder that they are talented enough to dominate a good team. Of course there's some frustration too but winning the game in the fashion they did is a great springboard into the offseason.

IT: You mentioned coordinators. I'm hearing some positives over Chris Ash already.

Source: He came in the exact right way. He didn't come in hot like Herman. Herman had defensible reasons for doing that but it didn't work all that great. I don't know if Herman coached Ash on how to communicate with the players but whatever it is, they have the players' full attention. Ash has been relatable and shown genuine interest in getting to know the guys as more than just players. He's been honest with them and that's always appreciated. Some guys have been asked about position switches. I think I've mentioned Kobe Boyce but also Al'vonte Woodard and maybe a safety to linebacker. Ash thinks the team is safety heavy, and, well, it is. UT is damn near four deep there with more on the way in a couple of weeks.

IT: Boyce to receiver makes a lot of sense athletically, but removing bodies from the position is a bold way to improve depth.

Source: They need more twitch on that side of the ball. The thinking is Woodard would replace Boyce at corner. I'm not saying it makes sense, just that it's a consideration.

IT: Ohio State wanted Woodard at corner and I wondered about it myself when he was coming out of high school but he's way behind the developmental curve at the position. Who is he going to pass on the depth chart?

Source: We'll see, it's common for new coaches to come in and want to move guys around. Yurcich and the new wide receiver coach may have plans for Woodard.

IT: We know the defensive players are excited about Ash, but how do the offensive players feel about Yurcich?

Source: He's been a little busy of late and hasn't met with the players. But he's called some players to mention how excited he is to get to work with them. Everyone is well aware of Oklahoma State's offensive success over the years. Being at Ohio State this year also gives him credibility with the players. They're excited.

IT: Despite the disappointing season things seem to be trending up toward the end with regards to team psyche. Have you heard much about potential transfers?

Source: That's quieted down a whole lot. Funny how that works. The coaches should still remain in constant contact with players they're worried about, especially as they go home for a week or two. If a kid has been known to be homesick, I'd stay on him pretty good.

IT: Especially the way Arizona State has been recruiting.

Source: Yeah.

IT: Have you heard anything about coaching hires?

Source: I think Emmett Jones is the heavy favorite for wide receivers. Herman has liked him for a while and he was going to be a candidate regardless of who the coordinator is. If Yurcich is fine with him I bet it'll be Jones. Tyron Carrier still hasn't interviewed but is expected to in the next day or two. He's another guy Herman has had his eyes on for a while. It seems they're going to hire a stud regardless.

IT: What about other positions?

Source: Things have been quiet but will probably pick up as more jobs open up within the program.

STATE OF RECRUITING

We’re a month away from NSD2. Sitting at 17 signees, Texas adding 3-4 more to the class seems most likely today.

Tom Herman will attempt to fill in the remaining spots on the staff over the next couple weeks. Those future coaches will have some input on how this class closes. They may have preexisting relationships with a target or two.

Quick look at UT’s Big Board:

Alfred Collins, Bastrop Cedar Creek, DL - Priority No. 1 and the last big-time signature Texas needs rather than wants, has looked outstanding in San Antonio this week for All-American bowl practices. He says he’s down to UT, Alabama, Baylor, and OU. But behind the scenes, it might be more deeper than that. His mother’s fondness for Texas is unyielding. The closer we get to the first Wednesday in February, the more I think UT here. All the current noise behind the scenes points to Texas.

Interestingly, a Cigar source told us there's talk of another surprise. The first one was Jaylan Ford, which we also heard from sources in Frisco, but this "surprise" is thought to be a bigger fish. I heard of this before the newfound momentum with Collins and believe Collins is the surprise but I don't know for sure.

Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage, ATH - This one is tilting in different directions. Dixon wants to play, and the chance of that at UTSA is a lot greater than at Texas. Playing with big bro, Keaontay, is still a possibility. His Austin OV is January 31st. But his window to make a decision might close before then.

Isaiah Dunson, Tucker (GA), CB - Some definitive upside here, and we know Texas needs another corner. A visit would do wonders for both parties involved. The former Florida State four-star commitment is pretty open at this point.

Tre Bradford, Lancaster, RB - UT still has interest in the four-star. It’ll be interesting when/if they take another RB in 2020. UT's track record for recruiting Lancaster isn't good but a lot of that is UT not pushing too hard.

Princely Umanmielen, Manor, DL - He still has four officials to take. Don’t be shocked if Texas is one of them. We're beginning to think he ends up in Austin especially given the bowl performance and new front.

Rashad Battle, Creekside (Fairburn, GA) CB - Texas has contacted him and there’s mutual interest. A CB/S coach would help here. The three-star is a one-time Maryland commit.

Savion Williams, Marshall (TX) WR - The 6-foot-4 pass-catcher from ETX and former Arkansas pledge is on the Texas radar. The next WR coach could determine the amount of effort the Horns put forward.

Jahmyr Gibbs, Dalton (GA), RB - This one smells like LSU. Getting him on campus is key but his official visits are booked. It won’t be Georgia Tech, @DukeSilver.

More names will emerge and as always the staff will keep an eye on the transfer market.

The surprise could be Collins as the momentum has swung back. I would be inclined to believe it's more likely a guy like McGlothern.

• Like 5

Yeah, when a multitude of coaches and former players are trying to change your behavior and you are still a punk, maybe you aren't worth all the bullshit. Did he do that interview before or after he scored the TD and went and put on the crown? Not that it matters, because either way it was just another stupid immature decision by the dumbshit.

He better be careful or The Trust Protector of the Royal Crown is going to sue his ass.

Edited by ioueleventybilliondollars

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Yeah, it was a very public apology. It seems like he wants to end up at Georgia but Aggy is desperate and might get him now or eventually 

if this kid has to go to his fall back of aggy, hilarity will ensue.  if anything goes wrong(isn't the day 1 starter, doesn't get enough carries, losing games), the drama will be crazy. He probably enrolls and gets his portal ID and password at the same time.

Dumbo should be running from him but he's completely desperate.

40 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I can get down with making fun of the kid for the other stuff, but not for celebrating the TD. That doesn't make sense. 

30 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Reveal hidden contents

The new year brings a new day as Tom Herman looks to right the ship after a good bowl victory and huge staff shake-up.

#####

IT: Why did Cort Jaquess get the start? Funny question to lead with but he's been a big topic.

Source: That's probably the wrong question. Why did they wait so long to give him some live reps? He's always been one of the hardest workers in practice and one of the hardest hitters. How he runs down on kicks is how he practices every day. I'm sure part of it was a nod to him being from San Antonio but I bet Naivar had been wondering the same thing I was and finally got his chance to do something about it. Plus, that's the game to play Cort if you're ever going to. He still has two years left so it'll be interesting to see how the new linebacker coach views him. I wouldn't tell the new coach he's a former walk on.

Source: I'm convinced not playing Ossai on the line of scrimmage cost Orlando his job. Everything was made easier by that, including linebacker play. If your gap is filled, flow to the ball and that's it. Juwan and Dele played well too. UT always plays run-first teams well. But that should have been the defense all year.

Source: With Jalen Hurts at quarterback? That's the exact defense they should have been running.

Source: It restores confidence and starts to restore trust in coaching. They know more changes are on the way but there's a lot of excitement about what the new coordinators bring to the table. This was a good reminder that they are talented enough to dominate a good team. Of course there's some frustration too but winning the game in the fashion they did is a great springboard into the offseason.

IT: You mentioned coordinators. I'm hearing some positives over Chris Ash already.

Source: He came in the exact right way. He didn't come in hot like Herman. Herman had defensible reasons for doing that but it didn't work all that great. I don't know if Herman coached Ash on how to communicate with the players but whatever it is, they have the players' full attention. Ash has been relatable and shown genuine interest in getting to know the guys as more than just players. He's been honest with them and that's always appreciated. Some guys have been asked about position switches. I think I've mentioned Kobe Boyce but also Al'vonte Woodard and maybe a safety to linebacker. Ash thinks the team is safety heavy, and, well, it is. UT is damn near four deep there with more on the way in a couple of weeks.

IT: Boyce to receiver makes a lot of sense athletically, but removing bodies from the position is a bold way to improve depth.

Source: They need more twitch on that side of the ball. The thinking is Woodard would replace Boyce at corner. I'm not saying it makes sense, just that it's a consideration.

IT: Ohio State wanted Woodard at corner and I wondered about it myself when he was coming out of high school but he's way behind the developmental curve at the position. Who is he going to pass on the depth chart?

Source: We'll see, it's common for new coaches to come in and want to move guys around. Yurcich and the new wide receiver coach may have plans for Woodard.

IT: We know the defensive players are excited about Ash, but how do the offensive players feel about Yurcich?

Source: He's been a little busy of late and hasn't met with the players. But he's called some players to mention how excited he is to get to work with them. Everyone is well aware of Oklahoma State's offensive success over the years. Being at Ohio State this year also gives him credibility with the players. They're excited.

IT: Despite the disappointing season things seem to be trending up toward the end with regards to team psyche. Have you heard much about potential transfers?

Source: That's quieted down a whole lot. Funny how that works. The coaches should still remain in constant contact with players they're worried about, especially as they go home for a week or two. If a kid has been known to be homesick, I'd stay on him pretty good.

Source: I think Emmett Jones is the heavy favorite for wide receivers. Herman has liked him for a while and he was going to be a candidate regardless of who the coordinator is. If Yurcich is fine with him I bet it'll be Jones. Tyron Carrier still hasn't interviewed but is expected to in the next day or two. He's another guy Herman has had his eyes on for a while. It seems they're going to hire a stud regardless.

Source: Things have been quiet but will probably pick up as more jobs open up within the program.

STATE OF RECRUITING

We’re a month away from NSD2. Sitting at 17 signees, Texas adding 3-4 more to the class seems most likely today.

Tom Herman will attempt to fill in the remaining spots on the staff over the next couple weeks. Those future coaches will have some input on how this class closes. They may have preexisting relationships with a target or two.

Alfred Collins, Bastrop Cedar Creek, DL - Priority No. 1 and the last big-time signature Texas needs rather than wants, has looked outstanding in San Antonio this week for All-American bowl practices. He says he’s down to UT, Alabama, Baylor, and OU. But behind the scenes, it might be more deeper than that. His mother’s fondness for Texas is unyielding. The closer we get to the first Wednesday in February, the more I think UT here. All the current noise behind the scenes points to Texas.

Interestingly, a Cigar source told us there's talk of another surprise. The first one was Jaylan Ford, which we also heard from sources in Frisco, but this "surprise" is thought to be a bigger fish. I heard of this before the newfound momentum with Collins and believe Collins is the surprise but I don't know for sure.

Kelvontay Dixon, Carthage, ATH - This one is tilting in different directions. Dixon wants to play, and the chance of that at UTSA is a lot greater than at Texas. Playing with big bro, Keaontay, is still a possibility. His Austin OV is January 31st. But his window to make a decision might close before then.

Isaiah Dunson, Tucker (GA), CB - Some definitive upside here, and we know Texas needs another corner. A visit would do wonders for both parties involved. The former Florida State four-star commitment is pretty open at this point.

Tre Bradford, Lancaster, RB - UT still has interest in the four-star. It’ll be interesting when/if they take another RB in 2020. UT's track record for recruiting Lancaster isn't good but a lot of that is UT not pushing too hard.

Princely Umanmielen, Manor, DL - He still has four officials to take. Don’t be shocked if Texas is one of them. We're beginning to think he ends up in Austin especially given the bowl performance and new front.

Rashad Battle, Creekside (Fairburn, GA) CB - Texas has contacted him and there’s mutual interest. A CB/S coach would help here. The three-star is a one-time Maryland commit.

Savion Williams, Marshall (TX) WR - The 6-foot-4 pass-catcher from ETX and former Arkansas pledge is on the Texas radar. The next WR coach could determine the amount of effort the Horns put forward.

Jahmyr Gibbs, Dalton (GA), RB - This one smells like LSU. Getting him on campus is key but his official visits are booked. It won’t be Georgia Tech, @DukeSilver.

More names will emerge and as always the staff will keep an eye on the transfer market.

The surprise could be Collins as the momentum has swung back. I would be inclined to believe it's more likely a guy like McGlothern.

I hope we don't use our second CB spot on McGlothern. That would be very underwhelming.

Gotta think that Arizona State question was about Jake Smith. We already lost QJ because of not having a WR coach. Losing someone like Smith would be a major blow. I hope Herman gets a WR coach in place ASAP, or at least has Jones talking to Smith behind the scenes already. I saw Smith in the bowl game, but I was pretty surprised we didn't run at least one scripted play for Smith even if it was just a bubble screen.

Edited by Burt Macklin

27 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Reveal hidden contents

#####

STATE OF RECRUITING

That homesick quote gives me concern, followed by the talk of Arizona state. Guessing that is in reference to Jake Smith 

7 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

if this kid has to go to his fall back of aggy, hilarity will ensue.  if anything goes wrong(isn't the day 1 starter, doesn't get enough carries, losing games), the drama will be crazy. He probably enrolls and gets his portal ID and password at the same time.

Dumbo should be running from him but he's completely desperate.

Every day I’m more thankful for Robinson. “Failing” to land Evans is one of the best things that’s happened to us lately. What a complete jackwagon. 

8 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I hope we don't use our second CB spot on McGlothern. That would be very underwhelming.

Gotta think that Arizona State question was about Jake Smith. We already lost QJ because of not having a WR coach. Losing someone like Smith would be a major blow. I hope Herman gets a WR coach in place ASAP, or at least has Jones talking to Smith behind the scenes already. I saw Smith in the bowl game, but I was pretty surprised we didn't run at least one scripted play for Smith even if it was just a bubble screen.

7 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

That homesick quote gives me concern, followed by the talk of Arizona state. Guessing that is in reference to Jake Smith 

On the 2019 thread before last year's signing period, I referenced that there was buzz around Jake Smith that he was a prima donna. That's been confirmed this year. In spite of mediocre play and approach, he's threatened to leave almost from the day he got here. At some point, change begins with the individual. I type all of this with obvious full knowledge about the fucking terrible nature of Drew Mehringer and the damage he did constantly while on staff. Smith needs to learn to run routes, catch the ball in traffic, catch punts, and shut the fuck up until he's done something besides catch a few bombs.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Given the choice between Rakestraw/Dunson and 5* Dwight, give me 5* Dwight. He appears to be the better athlete and is playing well by all accounts this week in Florida

14 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Gotta think that Arizona State question was about Jake Smith.

Situationally, Liebrock has more reason to leave. He probably wont see much playing time next year unless we install a 5 wide package with a TE where we can use his talents and not make him block much yet. But yeah, it's Jake. 

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

On the 2019 thread before last year's signing period, I referenced that there was buzz around Jake Smith that he was a prima donna. That's been confirmed this year. In spite of mediocre play and approach, he's threatened to leave almost from the day he got here. At some point, change begins with the individual. I type all of this with obvious full knowledge about the fucking terrible nature of Drew Mehringer and the damage he did constantly while on staff. Smith needs to learn to run routes, catch the ball in traffic, catch punts, and shut the fuck up until he's done something besides catch a few bombs.

Yeah, I thought about mentioning this aspect in my previous post but left it out. I wouldn't be surprised if Smith is a pre-Madonna, but it's also hard to blame to him too much when Epps got a free ride to starting and targets when he was clearly absolute shit and worse than Smith, even though Smith is still extremely raw and needs to work on a lot of stuff himself. If our WR talent and depth weren't quite so thin (including losing QJ in this class) and his position hadn't been so horribly mismanaged all year, it would be a lot easier to just tell Smith to put up or shut up.

Just another dainty-fingered bird flipped by Drew Mehringer to the HC and University that tried to give him a great career he never deserved. I don't think it can be said enough. Fuck Drew Mehringer. Even his hair hates him so much that it's fleeing his unbelievably punchable face at a sprinter's pace.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Given the choice between Rakestraw/Dunson and 5* Dwight, give me 5* Dwight. He appears to be the better athlete and is playing well by all accounts this week in Florida

Situationally, Liebrock has more reason to leave. He probably wont see much playing time next year unless we install a 5 wide package with a TE where we can use his talents and not make him block much yet. But yeah, it's Jake. 

I mean he's dropped from a 5 star all the way to 667th in the country on 247, and I never thought he was good to begin with. His best committable offers might be Arkansas, USC, and Baylor.  Give me the late bloomer every time over the guy who's been tumbling down the rankings for over a year as everyone else catches up to him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I mean he's dropped from a 5 star all the way to 667th in the country on 247, and I never thought he was good to begin with. His best committable offers might be Arkansas, USC, and Baylor.  Give me the late bloomer every time over the guy who's been tumbling down the rankings for over a year as everyone else catches up to him.

Surly called that one a long time ago about him not being as good.. maybe he can be a LB?

33 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I do not think I can recall a single class in recent history that had as much attrition as the 2019 will end up with. Some of it is just plain bad luck and no one’s fault but Christ man, it’s been a rough go for that class. 

29 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, I thought about mentioning this aspect in my previous post but left it out. I wouldn't be surprised if Smith is a pre-Madonna, but it's also hard to blame to him too much when Epps got a free ride to starting and targets when he was clearly absolute shit and worse than Smith, even though Smith is still extremely raw and needs to work on a lot of stuff himself. If our WR talent and depth weren't quite so thin (including losing QJ in this class) and his position hadn't been so horribly mismanaged all year, it would be a lot easier to just tell Smith to put up or shut up.

Just another dainty-fingered bird flipped by Drew Mehringer to the HC and University that tried to give him a great career he never deserved. I don't think it can be said enough. Fuck Drew Mehringer. Even his hair hates him so much that it's fleeing his unbelievably punchable face at a sprinter's pace.

While I hated the overuse of Epps as much as anyone, he and Jake play different positions. Jake had a superstar senior WR ahead of him, and I think he acknowledged at one point the benefit of learning from Duvernay. Judging from his recent twitter feed, it doesn't appear as though he is too invested in the team. He is liking twitter feeds from Clemson and others and yet nothing from the Alamo bowl. Some kids have hard time adjusting from being THE guy in high school to being chastised by coaches for mistakes in college. Hope he sticks though. 

4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Joe Cook on the Horn mentioned that Collins has gone from 245 lbs and fast last year to 285 lbs and still fast this year. Collins and Broughton could have a massive positive impact on this program for the long-term, if Collins signs.

It’s what the program has needed for years. People use the three man front excuse but in reality it’s not the front it’s the coaching and actual scheme. Bowl game showed that with Ossai. Giles job recruiting bad ass pass rushers was done for him with that Ossai tape. We have needed a guy like that since Okafor or even Kindle

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

While I hated the overuse of Epps as much as anyone, he and Jake play different positions. Jake had a superstar senior WR ahead of him, and I think he acknowledged at one point the benefit of learning from Duvernay. Judging from his recent twitter feed, it doesn't appear as though he is too invested in the team. He is liking twitter feeds from Clemson and others and yet nothing from the Alamo bowl. Some kids have hard time adjusting from being THE guy in high school to being chastised by coaches for mistakes in college. Hope he sticks though. 

Honestly expected more gritty lunchpail-ness from him. Not much of a coach on the field out there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, victory88 said:

Let’s recap.

- Evans had his hands out his entire recruitment asking for money.

-  He openly was implying that he would not sign with a school that did not “take care” of his teammate, that fat fuck OL... can’t remember his name.

- He thrashed the Texas coaches and players and then the aggy coaches publicly.  His head coach forced him to visit those schools to apologize in fear that they would stop recruiting his teammates.

-  He stopped going to class all of spring football.

-  He told the Alabama RB coach to fuck himself and along with their fans on a live video bc the coach told him he wouldn’t start at Bama if he didn’t mature.

-  He admitted in an interview over the summer that he plays recruiting games with schools to see what he can get.

-  He punched one of his coaches and got suspended.

-  I’m not sure what he did again, but he got suspended again from the state championship game by his HC and was sent home.

-  UGA is not accepting his LOI.

No school with success and good locker room is going to take this kid.   He has red flags all over him.  He’s a head case that only cares about himself.  He thinks he’s above his coaches, his teammates, and the program.  Any school that accepts his LOI, assuming he has the grades, will do so knowing he’s going to cause drama and that there’s probably enough dirt out there on him that it’s a NCAA investigation waiting to happen.

Trust in Jimbo.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

I get they played different positions, but it was still shitty coaching and the lack of a meritocracy that pissed off the entire WR room this year. Smith wasn't the only one who was upset. I'm not discounting that a good bit of this is his fault by any means, but Mehringer fucking shit up for the third year in a row muddied the waters quite a bit. 

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

How much have TEs been utilized in Yrrrrcich's offenses at Okie Lite and tOSU??

Seems like Liebrock could be used a lot like Damn Dallas Goedert is for Philly??

38 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

While I hated the overuse of Epps as much as anyone, he and Jake play different positions

Jake was handicapped by being unable to enroll early. If he had, I think we would have seen more Eagles at X and Jake at Z (or that reversed), and I would expect to see a fair bit of that next year as Yurcich determines best 11 by formation. That would open up more opportunity for a healthy Whittington and one of Washington/Lewis/Moore

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I get they played different positions, but it was still shitty coaching and the lack of a meritocracy that pissed off the entire WR room this year. Smith wasn't the only one who was upset. I'm not discounting that a good bit of this is his fault by any means, but Mehringer fucking shit up for the third year in a row muddied the waters quite a bit. 

Eagles was upset about the Damn bullshit favoritism of Drew-Boy towards CJ and Epps per some folks in the locker room....

(That won't be $9.95😀)

Edited by LTtxfan

14 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

How much have TEs been utilized in Yrrrrcich's offenses at Okie Lite and tOSU??

Seems like Liebrock could be used a lot like Damn Dallas Goedert is for Philly??

At okie lite and Shippensburg, Yurcich was gunning for points with non-elite recruits. Big body, fast, dudes with hands are not typically available to them, so they deploy the much more widely available hybrid back. That said, he did benefit from Blake Jarwin at okie lite who caught 17/204 and 20/308 in his Junior and Senior seasons. I haven't researched how he lined up Jarwin.

tOSU had 4 TEs with receptions this season:

Jeremy Ruckert SO TE 14 Rec, 142 Yds, 10.1 Avg
Luke Farrell JR TE 7 Rec, 119 Yds, 17.0 Avg
Rashod Berry SR TE 2 Rec, 20 Yds, 10.0 Avg
Jake Hausmann JR TE 2 Rec, 13 Yds, 6.5 Avg

If Yurcich chooses to use a rangy, pass-catching TE, it would be a relatively new development, minus the two seasons with Jarwin in Stillwater. Even then, he was at or below 20 receptions for the season over his career.

Edited by Ricky's one-hitter

56 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Joe Cook on the Horn mentioned that Collins has gone from 245 lbs and fast last year to 285 lbs and still fast this year. Collins and Broughton could have a massive positive impact on this program for the long-term, if Collins signs.

I agree with this.

Broughton and Collins,  if he signs,  and the players already here should be able to control the LOS.  

Get them the  right coaching and we are a huge step closer to running with the big dogs. 

I need to text the wife to pick up some kool-aid. 

• Haha 1

I need to text the wife to pick up some kool-aid. 

I’d offer you some of mine but I’m already drinking it.... at least with regards to better DL play.

Is too much being made of the J Smith thing? No new rumors. I agree he’s a risk. New coaches need to stay on him and Sam needs to spend the spring and summer forming a connection with Smith and Eagles, further learning each other’s tendency etc

24 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I don't think we'll see Smith at Z.  I think he'll be the starter at H next year.  And I think they'll leave Eagles at Z, because he's a perfect fit for this Yurcich favorite.

I was just thinking about how Herman's offense doesn't give enough easy reads for QBs. He seems to have more NFL progressions than High-Low reads, which make life much easier on a college QB.  I'm very hopeful that Yurcich will fix a lot of the more intricate details that caused our O to bog down in the middle of this season.  I also like more utilization of the post route. It gives the QB more leeway on his throw creates a middle of the field threat, which we lacked in too many of our route combos. 

36 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

I stayed at the same hotel as the AAB players for the Alamo Bowl and they had huge pictures of lots of game alumni everywhere. Was kind of irritated VY wasn't anywhere, only moreso when child beating Adrian Peterson was in your face right when you entered the main door to the lobby. Glad to see those guys gave VY a role.

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

I stayed at the same hotel as the AAB players for the Alamo Bowl and they had huge pictures of lots of game alumni everywhere. Was kind of irritated VY wasn't anywhere, only moreso when child beating Adrian Peterson was in your face right when you entered the main door to the lobby. Glad to see those guys gave VY a role.

Different game