Halloween/Horror Movie Thread

SimonBolivar

Aw hell, this is where I contribute to this board. My family watches a shit load of horror. According to Letterboxd, we have watched 180 in 2 years. Can’t spend too much time on this tonight but here are a few:

- If you haven’t seen Trick r’ Treat during Halloween you need to.

- The Loved Ones - Just watched this again recently. Pretty gnarly.

- Incident in a Ghostland is pretty decent, very cool concept. Like The Loved Ones, it’s not for the faint of heart.

- Rewatch the 1988 version of The Blob.

- Host was a lot of fun. We all watched it at the same time, in the same room, each on our own device with headphones. It was awesome. If you don’t know why, you will when you see it.

- The Blackcoat’s Daughter is one we liked. Kinda slow, but we like that if it pays off.

- The Innocents (1961)

- The Wailing - There are a lot of great Korean horror movies, this may be the best.

- Hereditary is probably my favorite horror movie

- REC and REC 2 are my favorite found footage

- Sleepaway Camp for anyone that hasn’t seen it.

- Creep 1 and 2 with Mark Duplass are fun.

- Top it off with some Killer Klowns from Outer Space!

If you want to see a list - I’m on Letterboxd - wutang75.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Hook 'Em 2

Not sure if I mentioned this before, but some of my favorite movies are the "what would you do?" types.

Frozen - Probably the most well-known.  People trapped on a ski lift during a blizzard.

247F - College kids trapped in a sauna.

Thirst (I think that's it) - People lost in a desert.

Open Water - I take it back.  This was the most well-known.

40 Meters Down - Open Water but under the surface.

I guess the Cube movies could also apply.

The Ritual, IMO, was also pretty good.

Jesus. The wife and i just got done watching Hereditary. That jumps up the favorite scary movie list pretty quickly. That was fucking great and unsettling and just wtf

I’m not sure any other Director has the ability to make the viewer feel dread or true sorrow like Ari Astor. The one seen in Hereditary (we all know which one, and it’s not when it actually happens that hits you, its the 5 mins after) and then the beginning of Midsommar. Probably the 2 best examples of making the viewer feel sorrow I can think of.

• Hook 'Em 1

I enjoyed both but agree that Midsommar is the better movie. The main thing that struck me when I saw Herditary in the theater was it was the movie with the most pronounced and audible dread reaction coming from the audience that I’ve ever witnessed. Multiple times throughout I could hear the audience groaning with fear/dread and saying “oh no”

If you think about it, it's kind of crazy that there aren't a lot more good horror movies from which to choose.  You don't need a huge budget, you don't need A-listers, and there are tons of studios and networks.  As it is, there are a handful of classics that most agree on and a decent one every couple of years.

What'd y'all think about Us?  

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

On 10/5/2020 at 6:07 AM, Knoxtnhorn said:

If you think about it, it's kind of crazy that there aren't a lot more good horror movies from which to choose.  You don't need a huge budget, you don't need A-listers, and there are tons of studios and networks.  As it is, there are a handful of classics that most agree on and a decent one every couple of years.

What'd y'all think about Us?  

Horror is the border between experimental art house and mainstream movies.  When horror hits a winner it becomes a classic that gets imitated by the standard movies. 

But for every winner there's going to be 100 facepalm faceplants.

Tried to watch Down a Dark Hall last night.  That actually was a completely mainstream movie with Uma Thurman.  Not scary at all as the director was primarily concerned with striking poses of his pretty actresses .

• Hook 'Em 1

Saw the original, just-released The Howling at a midnight show from the balcony of a small but packed theater with my wife and her big goofy cousin.  When that dumbass mousy woman was rifling through a file cabinet in the office, and the baddest werewolf put his big paw on top of the cabinet, that place went into batshit panic mode.  It was like the rotted severed head boat hole scene in Jaws.  Instant, massive audience raction.  My wife's cousin was yelling and pushing his feet into the guy in front of him, trying to back out of his chair but he couldn't move.  He was still shaking some time later when we dropped him off at his mom's house.  The next day we found out that when he, still spooked, came into the dark house, his head bumped his stepdad's mounted wild boar head, all  tusks and black bristles.  He proceeded to shriek like a little gir and ran all the way upstairs to his bedroom, bellowing like a maniac, waking up everyone in the house.  Good times.  And John Carradine as grampaw werewolf, no less.  The black leather chick werewolf wasn't bad, either, until she started ripping out throats.  Favorite line: "Silver bullets my ass."  Second favorite: "I going to have to give you a piece of my mind."

The Things They Do With Special Effects These Days: An Appreciation of THE  HOWLING (1981) - Cinepunx

My bi-weekly update:
- Rewatched Hereditary with a family member that hadn’t seen it. I think it gets better with every watch. I can understand if it’s just not you’re thing, but I can’t see how any horror movie enthusiast could call this a bad movie. Including the beginning of Midsommar, Ari Astor can make the audience feel real dread better than anyone.
- The Lie (Amazon Prime) - A must watch IMO. One of the worst movies that I couldn’t turn away from. If you can go in to it understanding that all characters are going to be horrible people who will continuously make the worst decision possible, then you can enjoy it for the terrible movie it is. The acting is....wow. Over the top.
- The Deeper You Dig (Shudder) - An extremely low budget indie film written, directed, and acted by a husband, wife, daughter trio. It is unlike anything I have seen before. They bring together some really creepy visuals that had me squirming in my seat for sure, with a pretty good story. Definitely worth seeing.
- The Hitcher - Do I really need to even say anything? If you have never seen this (original from the 80s), do it.
- Alone (2020, VOD) - Nothing too original, but worth watching
- Excision (Prime) - Sick and twisted coming of age story about a girl with psychosexual fantasies about surgery. Not for the faint of heart but pretty damned awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Hook 'Em 2

Went to see the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre at Tinseltown Plano last night. Some observations: (Spoilers?)

- Why did I think the kids were traveling to Austin for a concert? Is that in a remake? A different movie? The fact they went down there to check if their Grandfathers grave was messed with makes total sense.
- I had always remembered the door slam scene (first kill) as being the scariest scene. In the theater, the scene where Leatherface comes out of the dark to kill Franklin was the scariest.
- Marilyn Burns’ screamed non stop for a solid 30 minutes. I bet she couldn’t talk for a month.
- Cool to learn Larroquette did the narration for a joint.
- Camera work is just incredible.
- I hadn’t remembered the black truck driver coming in and saving the day at the end. He wasn’t having it! I’m going to assume he lives after saving her.

1 hour ago, wutang75 said:

Went to see the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre at Tinseltown Plano last night. Some observations: (Spoilers?)

- Why did I think the kids were traveling to Austin for a concert? Is that in a remake? A different movie? The fact they went down there to check if their Grandfathers grave was messed with makes total sense.
- I had always remembered the door slam scene (first kill) as being the scariest scene. In the theater, the scene where Leatherface comes out of the dark to kill Franklin was the scariest.
- Marilyn Burns’ screamed non stop for a solid 30 minutes. I bet she couldn’t talk for a month.
- Cool to learn Larroquette did the narration for a joint.
- Camera work is just incredible.
- I hadn’t remembered the black truck driver coming in and saving the day at the end. He wasn’t having it! I’m going to assume he lives after saving her.

The steady cam shot as she leaves the swing to walk up to the house is amazing. So well framed. 

16 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Wasnt 2 filmed at the old matahorn theme park in round rock?

Yep. All the interior shots were at the old Austin American Statesman building in the warehouse district.

https://www.austinchronicle.com/screens/2019-02-22/how-the-texas-chainsaw-massacre-2-helped-shape-austin-filmmaking/#:~:text=It felt like scary rural,printworks at Third and Guadalupe.

Edited by Deej

The Witch is solid.  If I was going to do a horror movie night with people who had maybe only seen the big brand name stuff like the OG Halloween/Friday the 13th/Nightmare on Elm Street stuff and wanted to branch out from that a little bit I'd show them:

--Zombie (the Italian movie directed by Fulci)

and

--The Burning (summer camp)

If we wanted to do something more recent I'd go with Midsommer or Hereditary

• Hook 'Em 1

My favorite horrors of the past decade. I don’t think most of these are even good Halloween month movies because they can be more atmospheric than scary 

1) The Wailing

2) Hereditary 

3) The Witch

4) The Blackcoat’s Daughter

5) It Follows

6) A Dark Song

7) Starry Eyes

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Wasnt 2 filmed at the old matahorn theme park in round rock?

The exteriors were filmed at the Matterhorn steak place just south of Temple that had a mountain and inside had a place where you could watch divers jump in the water while you ate.

It was right on I35. It was all you can eat steak and it was surprisingly good the one time I went. They grilled the steaks outside on a grill. It had to me in the mid 70's. That mountain they built was still there in the mid 80's too.

On 10/27/2019 at 2:04 PM, Knoxtnhorn said:

Yep.  Baby got snatched, but nothing was really shown. I was kind of thinking it would have been cooler if the movie just implied that there was a witch, then, at the end, there was a reveal that, a) there never was a witch; they were all just going crazy per their extreme beliefs in evil/born with sin OR, b) a little bit of a, then a real witch reveal. As it was, we all knew there was a witch from the start.

Oddly enough, I think this is the plot of the Suspiria remake.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

The exteriors were filmed at the Matterhorn steak place just south of Temple that had a mountain and inside had a place where you could watch divers jump in the water while you ate.

It was right on I35. It was all you can eat steak and it was surprisingly good the one time I went. They grilled the steaks outside on a grill. It had to me in the mid 70's. That mountain they built was still there in the mid 80's too.

eric cartman fun GIF by South Park

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm glad that Hereditary and Midsommar are both Prime right now. Good couple of movie nights. Those movies are both great. Hereditary is the best horror movie made in the past few years, I think. You need a dark room, an HD tv, and good audio to get the most of it though, because there is a lot subtle visual and auditory stuff happening that will go unnoticed without it. 

Just finished Goodnight Mommy. Pretty solid, but another slow burner that will probably be better on repeat watches. 

Also watched the Lighthouse. Not really a horror movie but still a solid period piece a la The Witch, with great acting and dialogue. 

House of the Devil is also on Prime and is super fun -- a movie made in 2009 but set and filmed like an 80s horror movie. Really good -- another slow burner without a lot of mystery or bells and whistles, but it's effective. Scary but fun. Not "Drag me to Hell" fun, but fun. 

On 10/18/2020 at 5:53 PM, Helobious said:

I used to hate horror films until I saw this. Didn’t think it was that scary but I did think it was an amazing movie. Love the priest’s dream scene.

I didn't appreciate it when I was younger.  I remember being 10 years old and liking the movie but wondering why every scene wasn't Reagan being possessed in her room because those were the fun parts.  I had to grow up some and rewatch it to really appreciate just how great of a film it is all around.