2020 Coaching Staff

2 hours ago, Viper said:

it seems unlikely we'd be looking to hire position coaches before the OC.

It seems preposterous until you realize the guy trying do all of this a fucking fraud.

if that’s true, we have an absolute clusterfuck of a process in place. It makes Charlie’s coaching search look competent.

jesus.

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Assuming the hires are Ash and one of Messingham/Beatty - I think he knew exactly what he was doing. 

I mean he fucked us - but he knew he was doing it.

If that was the original plan, there was no point in waiting this long.  I think this is just good old fashioned incompetence.  We are watching a coach drown in real time.

Edited by kevwun

57 minutes ago, Snacks said:

If the AD (or some extension thereof) isn't working on some potential hire, we're screwed anyway.

A manager should always be interviewing to replace team members who are leaving or or underperforming.

A football coaching staff should always look to recruit to upgrade the talent level and replace players who are leaving or underperforming.

The AD should always have a plan to find, vet, and hire good staff to replace those who are leaving or underperforming.

When Strong and Bedford were failing, Herman and Orlando were already a done deal a year prior (not on paper, but in the hearts and minds).

Here we are. Orlando is gone. Ash was in the fold already. Something tells me to be patient. There is a coach who is still coaching that is going to get the call... It's not Major, or it would be done so we could get on with recruiting.

There's a plan. It may suck, but it's a plan.

Hold.

We are going to...when?

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, kevwun said:

This is an impressive clusterfuck.  He fired half the staff with no plan in place and is going to go in to the first signing day with no OC at all and still no official announcement of the DC.  I'm just going to assume Herman has been on a bender since our last game because at least that explains this mess.

This would explain why I haven’t seen a drop of G2 in any Austin area stores.

30 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

A lot more words to still say KSU wasn't very good on offense.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

well finishing at 92 is in the 29th percentile

finishing at 51 is the 61st percentile (FEI)

finishing at at 67 is the 49th percentile (S&P+)

while yes, they weren't very good they also were not terrible (which the 29th percentile is)

I thought of Beatty initially but then said, nah "he wouldn't hire both Ash AND Beatty would he?"

what a clusterfuck.  He  is  done. 

CDC must love it.  Dodds held the AD spot for 32 fucking years while bringing a TOTAL of 11  conf championships in basketball and football.

CDC knows he has a job for life and has no balls.

247 / Bobby Burton / "Tuesday"

Spoiler

Last night, a blow was struck.

Temple wide receiver Quentin Johnston de-committed from the Horns, switching his pledge to TCU from Texas.

That makes three former Longhorn commitments that have opted to head elsewhere following the decision by Tom Herman to relieve multiple assistant coaches of their duties at the end of the regular season.

While the team's previous two losses - running back Ty Jordan and defensive lineman Van Fillinger - were both players that Texas could "afford" to lose at positions of relative strength in the recruiting class, Johnston was not.

He is a big play waiting to happen. And now he'll be doing it for another team, a conference foe no less.

I'm a firm believer that the coaching changes needed to happen. But I'm also a firm believer that you can't change coaches willy-nilly at the risk of losing a team's most valuable assets - its players and recruits.

I'm a fan of Herman's hire of Chris Ash though I'm not necessarily a fan of the timing of it.

Time will tell if I feel as positively about the offensive coordinator. In this very moment, I sure don't.

The decsion by Tom Herman not to hand over the keys of the offense to Graham Harrell played a direct role in Johnston's decision to head elsewhere. Johnston's announcement came just hours after Harrell announced he had signed a new agreement with USC.

Herman, it appears, wants to stick with his power spread offense and that, as well as control of the offense, came between him and Harrell, sources tell me.

Perhaps Herman made the right decision. Perhaps Sam Ehlinger is not a true spread quarterback, but more of a power quarterback, and given the length of Herman's rope, he decided Ehlinger would be better suited in a certain style of offense. That's the word going around.

But that is a stretch, even for Herman to believe. It's more likely that Herman simply knows what he knows and wants to stick to it.

For the second time in as many days, I'm writing the same thing.

Managing the team is his job, not mine nor anyone else's. But I'd counsel that if Herman thinks his power-spread offense simply needs a few tweaks here and there, then I don't think he fully grasps exacty what went wrong on that side of the ball in 2019.

• Like 1

I am honestly expecting Herman to pull a move straight out of Along Came Polly when Phillip Seymour Hoffman's character announced at the launch of the play that he'd not only be playing Judas, but Jesus Christ as well. Just full-blown narcissism on display. He's burning down the village to save it, and only he can save it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TexasFan21 said:

I am wondering if Herman will be our OC. It does not make sense how any of this shit has transpired.  

Things seldom make sense when you try to reach conclusions based on:

• Rumor
  • Naked declarations themselves based on rumors
  • Hysteria
  • Confirmation bias
  • Mob mentality

We don't know shit. We go nuts over losing a WR recruit, an excellent one apparently, but still not a linchpin (lynchpin?)* of a class. 

Roma is saying he loves Herman and we're all idiots!!

Nope. I am actually part of the we who doesn't know shit. There's basically nothing I can do about any of this, so I just watch the show and hope for the best. I take in the rumors and sympathize with some of the hysteria. I use my ignorance as a buffer against the eventual need for a defibrillator.

Happy Holidays. Merry Christmas. 

Fuck you, Roma!

Now we're talkin'.

*As in lynching Herman not the black player. The player is, of course, blameless and worthy only of good wishes.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

I'm waiting for Applewhite's name to be mentioned. The good news to me is that Messingham/Beatty/Applewhite after hiring Ash might, maybe, less than 25% chance but more than 0%, wake up enough people that even the regents get on board with a head replacement.

Considering the last any of us heard, Major was persona non grata at the University after his little indiscretion, Herman bringing him up would hopefully be yet another double take moment for those in charge that this motherfucker doesn't get it, and is out of his fucking element. Casey Horny was strike 1. I'm sure your percentages are probably correct, however. 

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

Tom Herman and Charlie Strong should someday team up to write a book on how to destroy your rebuilding program with terrible decision making. The 7 Habits of Highly Ineffective Coaches.  

They won't have to waste time writing a book to scam more money. They've already got enough from several institutions who got fooled into hiring them.

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

If Offensive Coordinator Tom Herman were available somewhere, I would want to hire him in a heartbeat. That guy can fucking coach.

It's Head Coach Tom Herman who is a complete dumbass.

My hope is that he is a dumbass who can still adapt.

Kick more field goals. Adjust his beloved culture of alignment or death. Maybe ask the players if they really like lining up for a kiss or embrace prior to a game; maybe he should do that only for underdog games. Maintain more detachment from his assistant coaches. Read Surly for the best advice out there.

I will again point to the rally in the Tech game as a possible data point for something changing with the team and something that could be traced back to the head coach. He has taken the steps of dismissing the stinkers on his staff. That was a first step for most of you. You were impatient that it came a day later.

We can only know how his adaptations work in the spring game, reading sunshine in the off-season, wringing hands during "fall" camp, and finally how we perform in the opener and at LSU.

25 minutes ago, dad said:

Heard a rumor that Colt McCoy is ready to retire and getting interviewed for the O.C. position.

Or maybe I dreamed about it... not sure.. send $9.95 either way.

No lie, I actually had a dream that Colt was our OC last night. He'd be a better hire than most, anyway. 

Edited by trythisathome

7 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

My hope is that he is a dumbass who can still adapt.

Kick more field goals. Adjust his beloved culture of alignment or death. Maybe ask the players if they really like lining up for a kiss or embrace prior to a game; maybe he should do that only for underdog games. Maintain more detachment from his assistant coaches. Read Surly for the best advice out there.

I will again point to the rally in the Tech game as a possible data point for something changing with the team and something that could be traced back to the head coach. He has taken the steps of dismissing the stinkers on his staff. That was a first step for most of you. You were impatient that it came a day later.

We can only know how his adaptations work in the spring game, reading sunshine in the off-season, wringing hands during "fall" camp, and finally how we perform in the opener and at LSU.

Boy, you really are hanging by a thread if you’re betting this hard on the tech game being a sign of anything long term. I don’t want to be around when you snap. ... Well, actually I do, but surely most people wouldn’t. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Things seldom make sense when you try to reach conclusions based on:

• Rumor
  • Naked declarations themselves based on rumors
  • Hysteria
  • Confirmation bias
  • Mob mentality

We don't know shit. We go nuts over losing a WR recruit, an excellent one apparently, but still not a linchpin (lynchpin?)* of a class. 

Roma is saying he loves Herman and we're all idiots!!

Nope. I am actually part of the we who doesn't know shit. There's basically nothing I can do about any of this, so I just watch the show and hope for the best. I take in the rumors and sympathize with some of the hysteria. I use my ignorance as a buffer against the eventual need for a defibrillator.

Happy Holidays. Merry Christmas. 

Fuck you, Roma!

Now we're talkin'.

*As in lynching Herman not the black player. The player is, of course, blameless and worthy only of good wishes.

When you say “you don’t know shit”...is that because you need someone with firsthand knowledge to provide a detailed account of every single thing that has happened up to this point?

is there any point in time where you just look at what we do know and feel comfortable making a judgement on how well a process is playing out...?