Eagles not showing up to practice

Pancho

did anyone actually think this?

A third of this site predicted 11+ regular season wins in the poll before the start of the season. 75-80 percent at 10+. So, yes.

I predicted 9-3, which was pessimistic relative to surly hive mind then, and now feels wildly optimistic.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

While I will say right off it is somewhat of an indictment of the recruiting at Texas can anyone name some players besides Shane B. that transferred out and had any type of real success anywhere else? I am not saying there aren't any, but I recall a lot of guys going to Texas College and playing like shit even there and washing out.

So far we have a guy that had a lot of dropped passes that seems pissed off that he is not getting more playing time or maybe the coaches told him to catch the ball more especially on big plays for 1st downs. There is one recent de-commit (two total) and he is a guy that is smart enough to have OU as his top choice now which has 16 players on their roster for that position and then Auburn (where the coach is on the hot seat for losing any game) and then aggy which will have a shittier season than Texas most likely. And he has the height, but at 250# he will probably need some weight IMO to make it on any team he is looking at right now and even Texas. Texas has much more need on the interior of both lines anyway and with 9 other SDEs on the roster I think Texas can move forward with this second recruiting loss so far.

And there is a true freshman that is pissed off about playing time and seemed to like a lot of attention and coddling during recruiting. True Texas needs all the O Line (and D Line) help they can get, but if a true freshman can't deal with not starting or playing as much as he likes then he can go.

As for "hiring from a deficit" I look at LSU where they ran of Lester that was pretty successful and bumped up a guy with no real history other than being fired from Ole' Miss and not getting it done when he was bumped up at USC so it was not like LSU was hiring coordinators from the position of having a "can't miss" head coach or major long term job stability with a coach getting his 3rd chance on the cheap. I will say Eddie O. has done a damn good job and better than I thought and I had thought he would do better than most expected, but not this good. But still it was not like LSU was hiring in big name coordinators with a can't miss stable coach running the show.

As far as the coaching goes Tom is showing exactly what I worried about when he was hired from UH, He can generally get teams up for the big games, but he somehow fucks off the other games more than he should. He seems to have the Mack way of not taking OU serious lately either which is a concern. He is also still doing dumb shit like going for it instead of taking points early (LSU which was a big factor especially mentally I feel) and other dumb shit like bad fakes or shitty calls on 4th downs. It seems given 10 days or 14 days they can scheme for anyone, but week in and week out they just can't keep it consistent probably from trying to trick shit up every week and over thinking and mensaing things. Things you do as a G5 coach with players that might not be able to simply match up not as a P5 coach even if you still need some players at certain positions to step up. I have concerns about the future at QB as well once Shane is gone I am not sure a NC caliber QB is on the roster right now. I think we can see that given time  these coaches can coach the team up, but they suffer at getting them ready week in and week out and that is a bad issue to have and I am not sure what corrects that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigVegasHorn26 said:

Almost losing to Kansas with the worst defense in the country will do that to a fan base of a team hopeful to make a playoff run at the beginning of the year.

no one expected to make a playoff run.

we did have full confidence in continual improvement from a great campaign last year.

never in anyone's wildest dreams did we believe it was possible to have the worst defense in the entire country.

falling off a cliff can't be glossed over or finessed.  and that's what's got us pissed off.  therm had better be laying down the law with orlando this week.  no double covered refs.  no sky coverage against jumbo packages.  no bullshit at all.   play straight up 4 men down, man with safety help.  we might actually stop someone.  simble.  basic.  defense.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Replacing assistant coaches is not a rebuild, or Alabama is in rebuild mode on a regular basis.

The context for how that goes though...it is hard to hire good people from a position of weakness. 

The Bama model is contingent on one side of the ball being without fault. Saban has the defense on lock, it doesn't change. It's Saban's defense and he runs it. At Texas, neither side of the ball is on lock. Herman could lock down the offense, if he permanently took over play calling, but he doesn't want to do it. 

1 hour ago, babysdaddy said:

Now we've gone to seething because we almost lost to Kansas

i think it's because we almost lost to kansas because of the craptastic stuff we've been up in arms over since the LSU game.... a secondary that gets torched, because there's no qb pressure from 3 down men, which causes injuries to the secondary when forced to set the edge on 300-lb guys, which leads to more inexperience in a secondary that was abysmal even when it had all it starters, compounded by weird formations that double-cover refs and concede the line of scrimmage, all rolled up and seasoned with therm's refusal to fix any of it or hold accountable those that own the problem.

All of which was on display in our narrow escape from the hatter.

1 minute ago, Hagbard Celine said:

i think it's because we almost lost to kansas because of the craptastic stuff we've been up in arms over since the LSU game.... a secondary that gets torched, because there's no qb pressure from 3 down men, which causes injuries to the secondary when forced to set the edge on 300-lb guys, which leads to more inexperience in a secondary that was abysmal even when it had all it starters, compounded by weird formations that double-cover refs and concede the line of scrimmage, all rolled up and seasoned with therm's refusal to fix any of it or hold accountable those that own the problem.

All of which was on display in our narrow escape from the hatter.

I hate to add there was a major return of Manny _iaz tackling as well....that dumb fuck "put a lick on them" (as you bounce off them and they run past your ass), or that "dive to take out their legs" shit (as you wiff on even making meaningful contact).....who brought that fucking shit back

• Like 1

oh yeah, eagles.

true freshmen that drops balls.

there are a dozen wide receivers coming out every year that can be coached up.

i think the kid is special but we have enough drama around here.

if you want to go, go.

if you want to stay, catch a hundred balls in a row after practice with no drops and prove you bleed Pantone 16-1448 TPX.

11 minutes ago, Still.Texas said:

There is a shot of Eagles on the sideline in the last episode of All-Access talking with Corby Meekins. Eagles is telling him he needs to back off the line of scrimmage based on what hes seeing from the CB, Meekins tells him to just work down field and read another player based on something Duvernay is doing. Eagles is clearly frustrated and not getting any answers, looking away and replying "ok, ok, alright". The exchange is a bit cut together but its a look into what the players are dealing with because of our dysfunctional coaching. Meekins has never coached WR before. Hes a high school OC, HC who was brought on by Tom to secure Ed Olivers commitment at UH, given TEs then moved to WR. He is coaching on the sideline bc Mehringer was moved to the box to assist Tim Beck in our play calling committee and continue his progression as Tom's protege. So Eagles has a technical question about what he can do in response to how a CB is covering him. Meekins gives him no advice and instead hits him with how the scheme is designed and what his job is within the scheme. I can see this playing out on both sides of the ball. Players identifying technical issues they're facing, seeking advice and getting scheme regurgitated to them because the coach lacks the technical expertise. This would be especially frustrating for young inexperienced players who have to wait to get the coaching they were searching for in the meeting room the following week, in the form of Mehrinnger lambasting their technique on film at the front of the room.

Thank you for coming on to the surl.  We're assholes but we welcome truth with open arms.

Please tell the kid to persevere, and he will be here long after these coaches are gone.

And if he has to go, he has to go.  We've got bigger fish to fry right now.

As you described.  And we appreciate you for that.

rep paid.

34 minutes ago, Still.Texas said:

There is a shot of Eagles on the sideline in the last episode of All-Access talking with Corby Meekins. Eagles is telling him he needs to back off the line of scrimmage based on what hes seeing from the CB, Meekins tells him to just work down field and read another player based on something Duvernay is doing. Eagles is clearly frustrated and not getting any answers, looking away and replying "ok, ok, alright". The exchange is a bit cut together but its a look into what the players are dealing with because of our dysfunctional coaching. Meekins has never coached WR before. Hes a high school OC, HC who was brought on by Tom to secure Ed Olivers commitment at UH, given TEs then moved to WR. He is coaching on the sideline bc Mehringer was moved to the box to assist Tim Beck in our play calling committee and continue his progression as Tom's protege. So Eagles has a technical question about what he can do in response to how a CB is covering him. Meekins gives him no advice and instead hits him with how the scheme is designed and what his job is within the scheme. I can see this playing out on both sides of the ball. Players identifying technical issues they're facing, seeking advice and getting scheme regurgitated to them because the coach lacks the technical expertise. This would be especially frustrating for young inexperienced players who have to wait to get the coaching they were searching for in the meeting room the following week, in the form of Mehrinnger lambasting their technique on film at the front of the room. 

Solid first post 

8 minutes ago, Pancho said:

And I thought Surly hated Anwar and said he was washed up? No he posts that tweet saying don’t worry and Surly is back to liking and trusting Anwar again?!?

w

Not sure whether to respond with:

1) He can't hide his lyin eyes

2) I got a peaceful easy feelin and I know he won't let me down

• Like 1