CR: COVID-19 --Political Talk

Mrs Whiggins

3 hours ago, Pancho said:

And they should absolutely fucking lose.  The law on police powers in emergencies (and how they trump constitutional rights) is well-established -- the SCOTUS has acknowledged this for well over 100 years.  Hell, even the commies over at the Heritage Foundation agree - https://www.heritage.org/the-constitution/commentary/constitutional-guide-emergency-powers :

The COVID-19 pandemic has led to extraordinary restraints on liberty, from international travel bans to state and local orders that businesses shut down, individuals avoid large assemblies and even stay home, and infected patients remain in quarantine. Depending on the epidemic’s progress, even more-draconian measures may be needed, such as restrictions on interstate and intrastate travel. It’s possible that “social distancing” will last for months rather than weeks.

All this goes against the grain in America, whose people treasure freedom and constitutional rights. But the government has ample constitutional and legal authority to impose such emergency steps.

Some state officials, such as New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo, have urged the White House to take charge. But this isn’t a task for Washington alone. While the federal government has limited and enumerated constitutional authority, states possess a plenary “police power” and have primary responsibility for protecting public health.

States may also take more drastic measures, such as requiring citizens to be tested or vaccinated, even against their will. In Jacobson v. Massachusetts (1905), the Supreme Court considered a challenge to a state law requiring everyone to be vaccinated against smallpox. Henning Jacobson refused vaccination and was convicted. The court upheld the law and Jacobson’s conviction.

“The Constitution,” Justice John Marshall Harlan wrote for a 7-2 majority, “does not import an absolute right in each person to be, at all times and in all circumstances, wholly freed from restraint.” Instead, “a community has the right to protect itself against an epidemic.” Its members “may at times, under the pressure of great dangers, be subjected to such restraint, to be enforced by reasonable regulations, as the safety of the general public may demand.”

States also have the power, beyond criminal law enforcement, to make quarantine and isolation effective. If presented with widespread noncompliance, governors may call National Guard units to put their orders into force, to safeguard state property and infrastructure, and to maintain the peace. In some states, individuals who violate emergency orders can be detained without charge and held in isolation.

BUT....have faith in the GOP-majority Texas Supreme Court.  If anyone can come up with a "law, schmaw, evangelical Jesus always wins" ruling, it's them.

11 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

This country is leaderless.

We do not have a functioning head of state.

And this.  Seriously.  We do not have a functioning executive.  We are in a fight for our lives in Foy, led by Lt. Dike.....and there is nobody to save us.  Capt. Winters isn't going to send in Speirs to take over.  We are going to go through this entire battle with Dike in command.  A LOT of people are going to die because of it.

• Like 2

I love what Acosta attempted to do, but you have to read the "we have a total of 15 case, and the 15, in a couple of days, it's gonna be zero, that's a pretty good job we've done" from 2/26.  

I mean, that's like listing out the worst people Trump has been associated with and forgetting Roger Stone!  It's like listing out all of the countries that Trump has tried to squeeze and forgetting Ukraine!  It's like listing Trump's greatest female conquests and forgetting Ivanka!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, A-Tex Devil said:

I love what Acosta attempted to do, but you have to read the "we have a total of 15 case, and the 15, in a couple of days, it's gonna be zero, that's a pretty good job we've done" from 2/26.  

I mean, that's like listing out the worst people Trump has been associated with and forgetting Roger Stone!  It's like listing out all of the countries that Trump has tried to squeeze and forgetting Ukraine!  It's like listing Trump's greatest female conquests and forgetting Ivanka!

he did use the "and one day, it will go away, like a miracle."  to which trump responded, "and i was right, one day, it will go away."

on a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

She wanted him to comment on the fact that our per capita testing is so much lower than South Korea's.

He didn't like that so he insulted her then turned tail and ran.

The president of the United States is a thin-skinned cunt.

Yamiche is gold. In her own persisting way, she is leading by example for other reporters to follow.

With respect to testing, she or someone in the corps can ask a follow up regarding Alex Azar's comment of a million tests by March 4. We will reach it this week. Little late there Alex.

Correction, Azar spoke on the 4th, the tests were to be ready by the end of that week.

Edited by Mrs Whiggins
Clarification
  • Like 2

Had a patient tell me his asshole spring breaker grandkid is calling this the boomer remover.  I had to laugh...As I said ‘what an asshole!’

I saw a tweet saying Gen Z will renamed “Zoomers” - as a play on “Boomers” and because of them using Zoom so much for school.

22 minutes ago, SameSame said:

CNN is spot on, he cannot handle questions about accountability.  It spins his brain out of control.

On the flip side, Korea will be thrilled about the sudden increase of 28 million in the population. They're adept at handling pandemics but the biggest problem they have is a declining birthrate. Thanks Trump.

3 minutes ago, AngryDragon said:

On the flip side, Korea will be thrilled about the sudden increase of 28 million in the population. They're adept at handling pandemics but the biggest problem they have is a declining birthrate. Thanks Trump.

With a 28 million pop increase, their per capita testing takes a dip so the US looks better.  Trump is so clever.  

• Like 2

#JuneTenth is trending at #8 on Twitter right now. That's the date the Virginia governor extended to their shelter restrictions because some folks were partying at the beach. The twitter roasting is glorious. Some folks are pretty angry, but others are managing to keep their heads about it.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

Thinking on it, trump DID say he knew more about South Korea than anyone...  maybe Google should be asking him what the Seoul population is...

Edited by TexLonghorn
“It’s a tremendous city... so big, so much big, and so tight. Tremendously big and so close together”

2 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

#JuneTenth is trending at #8 on Twitter right now. That's the date the Virginia governor extended to their shelter restrictions because some folks were partying at the beach. The twitter roasting is glorious. Some folks are pretty angry, but others are managing to keep their heads about it.

there's a brooklyn 99 rerun i was watching the other day, when peralta and holt get suspended and they're all pissed off.  peralta's like, "a week, this is crap, i'm going back in there."  then he immediately comes back out like, "yep, now it's 10 days, i definitely should not have gone back in there."

that gag never loses its edge.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

With a 28 million pop increase, their per capita testing takes a dip so the US looks better.  Trump is so clever.  

step 1 - lie about unimportant stuff

step 2 - get the press to call you on it

step 3 - criticize the press for focusing on unimportant stuff and picking on him

step 4 - lie about more important stuff

you think this is an accident?

You know the real funny part of the whole Seoul SK 38 mil thing was, it only came about because a black woman asked him a very simple question.  She asked him simply to explain something and he immediately went into defensive arrogant mode.  

He popped off saying he knows South Korea better than anybody and then condescendingly asked her if she even knew the population of Seoul.  And when she started to answer, they took her mic away.  Then he popped off again with 38 million and called her snarky.

That was such a microcosm of who he is.  Just full of shit and a complete asshole.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

step 3 - criticize the press for focusing on unimportant stuff and picking on him

sarcasm meter bro

Just now, henrygandorf said:

there's a brooklyn 99 rerun i was watching the other day, when peralta and holt get suspended and they're all pissed off.  peralta's like, "a week, this is crap, i'm going back in there."  then he immediately comes back out like, "yep, now it's 10 days, i definitely should not have gone back in there."

that gag never loses its edge.

You're out in California, correct? How is the mood out there after the press conference today? My oldest is hanging tough, but says it's hard to think about going on until May even though it's looking like that is what it's going to take.

Just now, TXSG8R said:

sarcasm meter bro

oh, that wasn't directed at you - i know you don't think he's being clever, but this is what he's been doing from the start.

lie about everything, and some will get through.  break every law, and you'll be able to get away with some of it.  pay nobody, and eventually, some people let it slide.  this is what these people do.  they normalize bad behavior, and pretty soon the bigger lies just get lost in the plot.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

It's absolutely an accident, or at least started that way. 

You don't give a monkey credit for constantly flinging shit against the wall and then one of the dookie pies happens to stick.

3 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

You're out in California, correct? How is the mood out there after the press conference today? My oldest is hanging tough, but says it's hard to think about going on until May even though it's looking like that is what it's going to take.

i'm so isolated i have no idea what anyone else thinks, other than people i'm texting with.  i'm encouraged that we sheltered early.  i'm encouraged that our testing (seems to have) started early.  i'm a little worried that the pending tests are slow.  chicago looks like a hotspot, new orleans, parts of florida.  everyone is predicting big cities in california, but i haven't seen the spikes yet.

like i said last week, it's spooky outside and has been for a while.  the good thing is - la is nothing like nyc.  we don't walk.  we don't have huge apt buildings on top of each other.  we don't rely on public transport/taxis/ubers.  most people i know are perfectly content to chill on the couch and burn through netflix.

shit, most everyone who's ever worked in the entertainment business knows all about unemployment stints.  there are a bunch of memes out here directed at the rest of the country basically saying "lol welcome to my life".

the good news is right when this started, it rained for like 6 days straight.  that's 18 months worth of rainfall, and people lose their minds.  now it's perfect out.  and with no smog i can see 100 miles in every direction.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

and btw, in regards to the timing, once newsom and garcetti said "30 days" on march 19th, most people pretty much assumed "may 1st at the absolute earliest".  nobody out here was aspiring for full pews on easter.  when trump said that, our whole state was like, "oh, so june 1st then?"

• Like 1

Just now, hpslugga said:

He either confused it for the elevation or for the metro population of fucking Tokyo. “Meh. Koreans, Japanese...you know they all look alike.”

Yea, Im on board with him confusing it with Tokyo.  Probably had some zingers lined up about Japan's testing, which has been pretty poor compared to the rest of Asia.  She hit him with the per capita question and he derped into his Japan talking point.  

Just now, TXSG8R said:

Yea, Im on board with him confusing it with Tokyo.  Probably had some zingers lined up about Japan's testing, which has been pretty poor compared to the rest of Asia.  She hit him with the per capita question and he derped into his Japan talking point.  

No--he had it waiting as his "see, I'm smart" moment.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TXSG8R said:

It would be such a footnote of nothing if he wasn't such an arrogant prick about it.

9 minutes ago, RPM said:

One thing that I thought got glossed over was Trump saying ventilators were very complex and hard to manufacture. Didn't MIT just open source plans for an easy to build model?

Yep. The design dates back to 2010. When it became apparent that there was going to be a severe shortage they looked at it again and published it.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/mit-to-open-source-low-cost-ventilator-in-response-to-worldwide-shortage/

Pdf at the link

Edit: Hundred dollar bill vs. 30k

Edited by cactusflinthead

8 minutes ago, RPM said:

One thing that I thought got glossed over was Trump saying ventilators were very complex and hard to manufacture. Didn't MIT just open source plans for an easy to build model?

Riding home and listening to right winger radio, which I need to stop doing this for my health, they said both that ventilators are so complex it's crazy( trying to protect the president) and that all car manufacturers should be producing them in mass ( trying to protect the president).  

47 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

and btw, in regards to the timing, once newsom and garcetti said "30 days" on march 19th, most people pretty much assumed "may 1st at the absolute earliest".  nobody out here was aspiring for full pews on easter.  when trump said that, our whole state was like, "oh, so june 1st then?"

Thanks for the reply. It's hard since her support network is mostly Texas-based but her lab colleagues/roommates have family closer so I've been trying to get a feel for how things are. Her experience was the grocery outages were a pain, but most everyone was handling things well, the rain was boring, they couldn't go on their usual camping trip, in other words these weren't big worrisome issues and that was reassuring to me especially since they were sticking to the guidelines and staying home. Considering just how large the state is in population and size, I've thought Newsom has handled about as well as one could, especially since the anti-California propaganda circulating by right wing outlets specifically the ones that try and stoke division between California and Texas. They're both nice states IMO and each have unique challenges and unique benefits. I hope they weather this and come out looking like sunshine.

No doubt, though, all the states have some heavy days ahead. Hang in there, everybody!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

And that's really why these pastors are filing this suit.  People attending church via Zoom almost certainly don't give as much as those sitting in the pews.

Exactly. If the pastor of my church ever signed on to a lawsuit like that I would be done with the church. Thankfully she is a better person than that and puts the congregation ahead of money. 

My church in the Bronx is doing a Bible study on Zoom. One of the few humorous things to come out of this is watching the older people in the congregation figure out how to use technology. Someone sent an email trying to access the live Bible Study on Friday. It happens on Wednesday...lol. 

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DigDug said:

It's absolutely an accident, or at least started that way. 

You don't give a monkey credit for constantly flinging shit against the wall and then one of the dookie pies happens to stick.

Exactly.  Trump is barely more sophisticated than a virus.  He runs a very basic playbook over and over again. There’s no strategy, only instinct rewarded by a feedback loop of stupid.  It works because there’s a sizable host population whose ignorance, anger, and insecurity makes them uniquely vulnerable to Trumpitis.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

SIAP:

Did I hear that Trump shipped 17 tons of PPE to China in early Feb?  If so, what was he thinking??

He’s a moron that thought for some reason we were above being harmed by this. Probably because he’s never had a single consequence in his life. 

16 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

Exactly. If the pastor of my church ever signed on to a lawsuit like that I would be done with the church. Thankfully she is a better person than that and puts the congregation ahead of money. 

My church in the Bronx is doing a Wednesday Bible study on Zoom. One of the few humorous things to come out of this is watching the older people in the congregation figure out how to use technology. Someone sent an email trying to access the live Bible Study on Friday. It happens on Wednesday...lol. 

Reminds me of a post on FB I saw yesterday. Old man was watching the feed from church and when the pastor said, "Hello everybody!" he waved.

"Dad, he can't see you. You don't wave to the weatherman."

"Well, I don't know him. I know Pastor Mike."

• Like 3

I found this link:                                                                                                                                            
  https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/29/opinions/coronavirus-personal-protective-equipment-obeidallah/index.html  

Trump administration sent protective medical gear to China while he minimized the virus threat to US.

Edited by Cairn Horn88

3 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Reminds me of a post on FB I saw yesterday. Old man was watching the feed from church and when the pastor said, "Hello everybody!" he waved.

"Dad, he can't see you. You don't wave to the weatherman."

"Well, I don't know him. I know Pastor Mike."

Episode 4 Hello GIF by The Simpsons

“I won't be so glib as to ask what happened to Trump's "America First" policy. That's too easy. But the fact Trump claimed to comprehend the risk posed by the coronavirus and then shipped nearly 18 tons of equipment that includes much of what our medical staff are now pleading for means either he was lying or is dangerously incompetent. You can pick which one you believe. But the results are the same for our valiant health care workers who are working tirelessly to save lives from Covid-19.”

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

“I won't be so glib as to ask what happened to Trump's "America First" policy. That's too easy. But the fact Trump claimed to comprehend the risk posed by the coronavirus and then shipped nearly 18 tons of equipment that includes much of what our medical staff are now pleading for means either he was lying or is dangerously incompetent. You can pick which one you believe. But the results are the same for our valiant health care workers who are working tirelessly to save lives from Covid-19.”

robert de niro casino GIF

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Bullneck said:

Actually, aren't they sending a bunch of stuff to us now?

If they are, I missed it. The Chinese are shipping stuff to pretty much every other country, however.

I figure this is why he quit calling it the Chinese Virus.  

Edited by Francisco 2.0

2 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

Actually, aren't they sending a bunch of stuff to us now?

I hope not because PPE coming from China was recalled by the Netherlands, France, and Spain for being defective. I wouldn't put it past the Chinese to be engaging in intentional sabotage at this point.