Tell Me About Baylor

Al_4_ISU

3 hours ago, Yuk said:

Why would he leave Syracuse for Baylor?

Because he was a former coach at Baylor and Baylor has proven they pay big money for coaches.  

Unfortunately for him however, his name was <cough>allegedly<cough> littered throughout the Pepper Hamilton report therefore he’ll never step foot in Waco again. 

On a separate note, I just don’t get the Rhule love.  Is he a good coach?  Probably but the jury is still out.   But if I were a GM and wanting to the CFB route since that’s apparently the hottest thing right now, there are about 30 CFB coaches I’d want over him. 

1 hour ago, nycHorn said:

He’s interviewed every off season with the NFL? That’s got to be weird for players...not if he leaves, but when.

Funny how upset Baylor Mods were with other Schools saying Ruhle might not be around Baylor much longer.....

Then after NSD1, Rhule interviews for 2nd year in a row with an NFL Team.....

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chet Steadman said:

Because he was a former coach at Baylor and Baylor has proven they pay big money for coaches.  

Unfortunately for him however, his name was <cough>allegedly<cough> littered throughout the Pepper Hamilton report therefore he’ll never step foot in Waco again. 

On a separate note, I just don’t get the Rhule love.  Is he a good coach?  Probably but the jury is still out.   But if I were a GM and wanting to the CFB route since that’s apparently the hottest thing right now, there are about 30 CFB coaches I’d want over him. 

I don’t really get why he gets so much NFL attention either, but then again I never in a million years could have told you that Kingsbury would land a NFL head coaching gig either.

14 minutes ago, LTbear said:

I don’t really get why he gets so much NFL attention either, but then again I never in a million years could have told you that Kingsbury would land a NFL head coaching gig either.

I take it you haven't watched any of their games.  did you watch their bowl game. did you watch his temple teams? fucker can coach.

33 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

I take it you haven't watched any of their games.  did you watch their bowl game. did you watch his temple teams? fucker can coach.

What? Of course I watched his games, I’m a Baylor grad. I watch them all. Did you watch the Duke, Oklahoma, or West Virginia games? I think he’s a good coach, I just don’t think what he has done is proportional to the amount of interest he gets from NFL teams. But like I said, I never would have seen Kliff landing the Arizona job either.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, alphahorn said:

He's a decent coach but far from an elite coach. I'm too lazy to look this up but his record against S&P+ top 50 teams is really bad. I mean really bad. 

Edited by texasstrong12

16 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

He's a decent coach but far from an elite coach. I'm too lazy to look this up but his record against S&P+ top 50 teams is really bad. I mean really bad. 

I lied. After this year Rhule is now 4-21 against S&P+ top 50 teams. 2 of those wins were against Tech (5-7) and Oklahoma State (7-6) this year.

Edited by texasstrong12

12 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Funny how upset Baylor Mods were with other Schools saying Ruhle might not be around Baylor much longer.....

Then after NSD1, Rhule interviews for 2nd year in a row with an NFL Team.....

And even Rhule appeared to get pissy in one tweet alluding to negative recruiting.  After two years of interviewing with NFL teams in an effort to get out of that shithole Waco, he, the Baylor mods, and the Baylor fans have to reasonably expect that other coaches will mention that to recruits, and shut their big yappers over it. 

18 minutes ago, South Austin said:

And even Rhule appeared to get pissy in one tweet alluding to negative recruiting.  After two years of interviewing with NFL teams in an effort to get out of that shithole Waco, he, the Baylor mods, and the Baylor fans have to reasonably expect that other coaches will mention that to recruits, and shut their big yappers over it. 

Agree..... How do recruits now trust that Ruhle will stay more than 1-2 years??  No longer a good situation for Baylor unless there's a Head Coach in waiting on the current staff that players will support.

Wonder if Sterlin Gilbert is a possibility at Baylor in a couple years??

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

As far as interest from the NFL, they don't really get to pick from the elite college coaches though.  It's just the fan's perception that NFL coaching > college coaching because NFL players > college players. 

Rhule had something like 50 scholarship players when he arrived at Baylor. In two years he has moved Baylor past the state of Kansas and beat both Tech and oSu this year. He is pretty good on the recruiting trail and seems to develop players well. Seems like a great fit at Baylor. I don't get the NFL stuff either but the Baylor AD on radio said there have been FBS inquiries but Rhule hasn't been interested in other FBS schools. I like conference competition so I hope Rhule and Matt Campbell stick around and hopefully the new coach at Tech will be competitive.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Speaking of Giblet.. His staff at McNeese is littered with coaches with links to BU. Gush was an O coach for Briles,, the TE coach worked for Babers, Trahan played for Briles and was just at Tulsa I think. Seems like there's one or two more I'm forgetting.

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Agree..... How do recruits now trust that Ruhle will stay more than 1-2 years??  No longer a good situation for Baylor unless there's a Head Coach in waiting on the current staff that players will support.

They can no longer trust coaches at their "word"...

5 minutes ago, Extra Anejo said:

This for sure, I can't think of a current college coach I would trust. Lane Kiffin is the norm.

Dabo Swinney has been there over a decade and has no reason to move.  His DC has been there 7 years and his co-OCs for 4 years.  He takes small classes so clearly he's not trap dooring kids.  Obviously very much the exception.

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

Somebody didn't get the memo that the rapin was supposed to stop.

https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/3-rapes-reported-at-Baylor-residence-hall-505140381.html

It almost reads like an Onion article at this point. "When are these co-eds going to quit letting themselves be raped?"

If you are a female student at Baylor it almost has to feel like you are perpetually in the role Jodie Foster played in "The Accused"

Fuuuuuuuuuuckkk Art Briles

When the Baylor scandal broke, Dorothy* was not among the people who were shocked by the change in Briles’ public persona from straight-talking, avuncular Texan who coach boys into men to someone who chose to protect his players at the expense of sexual-assault victims.

“It is major that Baylor, better late than never, choose human rights over football,” she wrote to Deadspin. “I went to high school in Stephenville, where Briles coached from ‘89-‘98. Briles played accused rapists there.” She went on to describe how she knew: The player who raped her, she said, was one of them.

Dorothy says she confided in her English teacher in the spring of 1991 that while she was at a house party, she was raped by a football player in one of the bedrooms. The teacher, Dorothy said, brought her to a counselor, who encouraged her to go to the police. (Deadspin has corroborated these details with multiple people who worked at the school at the time.) Dorothy’s father took her to the police station, where she filed a report. The player was never arrested, and Stephenville police did not have a copy of the report, which involved two minors, when asked about it by Deadspin 27 years later.

A star student, Dorothy was working on a student council project when she had to introduce herself to Briles to ask him a question. “When he heard my name,” she recalls, “He said, ‘So you’re the one all this fuss is about.’” According to a source who served on the Stephenville school board at the time, Briles was well aware of the accusation against his player. (Briles’ attorney, Ernest Cannon, refused to provide a direct answer when asked by Deadspin if the coach was aware of the allegations at the time.)

Stephenville is a tight-knit community of 21,000 people, and even after the Baylor scandal broke, Briles’ reputation didn’t suffer the same bruising there that it did in the rest of the country. In the lobby of Stephenville High School, the school commemorates members of its Hall of Fame, and a plaque honoring Briles—along with fired former Baylor assistant Colin Shillinglaw, and former Baylor staffers Kendal Briles and Randy Clements—still sits among them, boasting of his prowess with the Yellow Jackets. Questions about Briles and what happened with Dorothy and the football player in 1991 still makes people nervous.

Dorothy’s family is nervous, too. They agreed to speak to Deadspin, but did not want to be identified. But in a small town like Stephenville, they fear it may be inevitable. When Dorothy’s father learned what happened to his daughter, he says, he drove to Briles’ house to ask the coach what he planned to do about his athlete. Briles’ attorney, when asked if he remembered the visit, said, “Coach Briles doesn’t recall such an event from 27 years ago.”

“Art didn’t handle it right,” Dorothy’s father says. “When I found out, I went straight to his house and told him what happened. He was taken aback. He couldn’t believe it. He said, ‘What do you want me to do?’ He said it was a ‘he-said/she-said’ at this point. There was no indictment. He didn’t know what to do.”

Dorothy’s father isn’t angry at Briles—he reserves his fury for the Stephenville Police Department, which he believes decided not to get involved. Nearly three decades later, people in Stephenville still don’t want to get involved. When Deadspin called the police officer who Dorothy first spoke to about the incident, he said he didn’t remember anything about the case. A half dozen other sources—lawyers who were involved in the case, former teammates of the player in question, high school friends of Dorothy’s—all declined to speak on the record. One source who worked at the school at the time, who agreed to be quoted anonymously, says that Briles was “considered a God” and “the boys were put on pedestals.”

“It would be amazing how many people knew about it, but didn’t give it a second thought,” Dorothy’s father says. “When you come to a school that has won 10 games in the previous hundred years, and you turn them into four state championships, always in the playoffs, fun, fun, fun, and the gate receipts are a half million dollars a year from a little bitty town, that’s fun.”

When contacted by Deadspin, the accused student replied, “How did you get my email address,” and declined to speak further about the incident, directing further correspondence to a Stephenville lawyer who didn’t respond to requests for comment. Cannon’s responses to Deadspin’s questions about the coach’s knowledge of the incident did not include an answer, but when Deadspin asked Mark Lanier—another attorney who represented Briles earlier in the year—about the allegations in early 2018, Lanier sent a statement from Briles that said “First I have heard of that ...don’t have any recollection—don’t remember any assault incident being reported to school authorities, or police—certainly not to me—crazy stuff !!” [sic] In August 2018, Starr, citing his “very deep, personal friendship” with Lanier, joined the Lanier Law Firm.

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

https://deadspin.com/how-baylor-happened-1828372303

Good longread - I had never seen they let a guy (Cordell Dorsey) enroll who was accused of sexually assaulting his 11-year-old stepsister.

JFC that's just nauseating. Seriously fuck these people. The entire university, the entire city.

I know it'll never happen and it's often said, but I really wish UT could dissociate itself in every way from that institution. 

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

https://deadspin.com/how-baylor-happened-1828372303

Good longread - I had never seen they let a guy (Cordell Dorsey) enroll who was accused of sexually assaulting his 11-year-old stepsister.

If you read far enough, you will see these rapes and their cover up go back to Stephenville while he was coach.

11 minutes ago, Leanderman said:

gaylor just continues to hide behind a bible. They peek their heads out around the corner of it and say "We have changed, and are better for it".

The Friends of Mr Jesus thing is just nauseating.  I know plenty of good and genuine Christians like the folks at Mission Arlington.  Very few Baylor people are even in that zip code.

Edited by sushihorn

• 3 months later...
Guest Lobo

Now, I'll grant that the Baptist faith doesn't quite have the roots and fundraising mechanism of the Catholic Church.  But just in terms of the U.S., they didn't start out that far behind the Catholic Church.  Catholicism mainly arrives in the U.S. (as we know it now, not the 1492-1742 colonialism) with Hispanics, Italians, and Irish.  Not exactly the power brokers of the Modern West.  But again, I acknowledge the timeline advantage.  Baptists invent themselves just over 100 years ago, but they have two massive advantages.  Lotsa money and lotsa very WASPy membership in their base. A recipe for massive success in the (at the time) relatively young nation.  And do they invest some of that blessing and advantage into education?  No, they do not.  They start a bunch of half-measured colleges based on mediocrity, subjugation of women and minorities, celebration of ignorance, and a culture of non-acceptance of anything different be it an idea or an individual.  The fact that Baylor is their flagship is quite telling, IMHO.  We're not going to drag most faiths into the 20th century, let alone the 21st.  Least we can do is quit tolerating/celebrating factories of malignant growth of the ignorance we checked at the door centuries ago.  

• 2 weeks later...

So it looks like Pepper Hamilton is not complying with the Court orders to turn over their internal documents and are facing discovery sanctions. Also looks like Baylor continues its strategy of delay and document dumps. Including only now turning over police tapes that they’ve had since 2014.

Why any father would allow his daughter to go there is beyond me.  It’s also an abomination that they continue to have the stage of a P5 conference.  They need to be jettisoned and go play with like minded schools like Liberty.

https://www.chron.com/sports/college/article/Pepper-Hamilton-hearing-moved-from-Waco-to-Austin-13999440.php

• Like 1