The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

7 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Best sounding car I have ever personally heard with my own ears/

Because it can't be shared enough. Lexus put a massive amount of engineering into the sound of that car.

Edited by Sam Lin
Trying to get video to embed. Think I got it.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Pretty sure where Tesla falls flat is in it’s service department, which I hear from colleagues who are tesla owners, is an abhorrent experience all around. That’s where, I think, the legacy brands will far outpace Tesla in the long run.

And, as an aside, the new S class interior is tits

Edited by Fat Bastard
Autocorrect

Where I think the Apple analogy falls flat is that Apple does have a certain design philosophy that is unique and is not "have it your way."  And the alternatives are limited, but are characterized very much by "have it your way."

I don't think Tesla really has that and as soon as the legacy makers start competing with their unique design philosophies on a similar platform, Tesla will be just another car, despite being a pioneer.

5 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Where I think the Apple analogy falls flat is that Apple does have a certain design philosophy that is unique and is not "have it your way."  And the alternatives are limited, but are characterized very much by "have it your way."

I don't think Tesla really has that and as soon as the legacy makers start competing with their unique design philosophies on a similar platform, Tesla will be just another car, despite being a pioneer.

And this is what I feel is the assumption of Apple users. I bought my daughter an 11 pro when they came out. I have a Note. While cross platform compatibility between the phones is garbage on both sides, my Note is far and away more capable than her Iphone. It has the same internal storage, plus a 550 gig card in it. Great for if you like to take your own movies on flights and not have to stream everything you watch. You can pop the card out and take projects with you and continue to work on them with your stylus. Apple users simply stick with Apple regardless of what is out there. They refuse to believe that anything could be better than their beloved Apple, regardless of the fact they haven't tried anything else. I feel like Tesla people are the same. They were always going to buy a Tesla.

6 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Because it can't be shared enough. Lexus put a massive amount of engineering into the sound of that car.

The first time I heard that car I was walking out of the PF Changs(years ago) by the Arboretum and some dude romped on it going up the road. I saw the Lexus emblem, but had no idea what it was. It sounded like a quieter formula one car. Just beautiful!

Happened to encounter some pretty legit German modern classics while out and about today. 

Saw the Z8 on two occasions about 3 miles and 45 minutes apart. 

The Audi has a giant front-mounted intercooler peeking out and boost gauges on the A-pillar... 

20210925_081510.jpg

20210925_085153.jpg

20210925_133643.jpg

20210925_133654.jpg

20210925_151143.jpg

20210925_151151.jpg

20210925_151158.jpg

20210925_151209.jpg

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 2

Got an email from Cadillac on ordering a Blackwing, another new vehicle I’m intrigued by. I’ve been playing with options setups. It’s not going to pull the boat, but I wouldn’t mind something other than a truck some days. 

Was impressed when I saw an email from Sewell about the blackwing. If I ever went to a caddy I’d like this but wish they had a coupe still

6 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

you're never talking your way out of a ticket with a literal racetrack on your license plate. 

You would think that but I just got pulled over on the way home from COTA a couple weekends ago with numbers on the side of my car still and the cop immediately said he was giving me a warning and thanked me for pulling over in a safe spot. Then again, I am white in one of the whitest areas ever and was driving a “nice” car (no racist).  I posted about the other time I got pulled over in a track car on the speeding ticket thread and same thing. I think they think, ok 70 in a 55 is no big deal for this guy. /CSB

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

You would think that but I just got pulled over on the way home from COTA a couple weekends ago with numbers on the side of my car still and the cop immediately said he was giving me a warning and thanked me for pulling over in a safe spot. Then again, I am white in one of the whitest areas ever and was driving a “nice” car (no racist).  I posted about the other time I got pulled over in a track car on the speeding ticket thread and same thing. I think they think, ok 70 in a 55 is no big deal for this guy. /CSB

Don’t you have a GT3?  Or am I thinking of someone else?  That qualifies as a couple of notches above “nice”.

So I got a call yesterday from my Porsche guy for an allocation for a 718 Spyder that i had talked to him about a few times (i have a 3 year old 911 T).     Im leaning towards passing on it - that's stupid right?  I'm too old for a stupid manual roof convertible.    But man, that 4.0 NA engine....  

Edited by Mr. Drummond

3 hours ago, Mr. Drummond said:

So I got a call yesterday from my Porsche guy for an allocation for a 718 Spyder that i had talked to him about a few times (i have a 3 year old 911 T).     Im leaning towards passing on it - that's stupid right?  I'm too old for a stupid manual roof convertible.    But man, that 4.0 NA engine....  

If you can get it for msrp. I think you could easily make a little cash.

15 hours ago, Atxracer said:

Fair enough, but it flies in the face of my usual "oops, sorry I got a little carried away" strategy, though when I'm getting pulled over, I'm usually in a sleeperiffic-but-tuned Subaru wagon that says "clueless and harmless nerd" much more than "on my way home from the track." 

But it's the badgelicker plates that do all the heavy lifting here - I've been told "just keep it under a hundred for me" a few different times... 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

I was tempted for nostalgic reasons, but they honestly don't look that good

I was surprised at the price. But I guess they are just throwing their hat in the Escalade Navigator ring. Was just checking out the website yesterday. Haven’t seen one irl yet.

I have a grand Cherokee and for what it is I think it’s actually a damn good car. But it was originally design by Daimler. Hard to be surprised if Fiat doesn’t fuck up all their new stuff.

54 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

It has been conceived.  Should be fully grown in 5 more days.  Pretty cool to watch the progress and hope you can actually track the ship close to live. 1000509288_ScreenShot2021-10-04at10_24_36AM.thumb.png.438d823349f98de5111f371224b09fae.png

If you use an AIS tracker like MarineTraffic or VesselFinder you can watch the ship most of the way for free, or all the way if you pay

4 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

Great info. I’ll check them out.  Thanks. 

I'll warn you it's addicting as shit. Be prepared to wake up in the middle of the night and refresh the position lol.

ETA: I think I put some screenshots of tracking screen in the Boat thread.

Edited by G650

55 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
Sitting at my mechanics shop waiting for APR Stage I.

@Gravy Train is right. A tune turns this car into what it should have been from the factory. Not quite E63 levels of angry, but much better than stock.

Victory!!!! 

E85 blends and RS7 turbo inlets would open it up a bit more.  Pretty sure you could run a E60 blend on the stock fuel system and switch to 104 octane mode.

• Like 1

Anyone buying a new a Bronco through the reserve, and build your Bronco program ?  I'm getting  ready to put my deposit down, but wondered if anyone else is or has one that route.  The online build price is about $1500 less (it includes taxes, and all the other fees) than the number that came back From the dealer I'm working thru.  I haven't questioned them on that yet.

I'm doing a 2 door, 7 speed with the 32" tire package, can't do the sasquach package with a manual transmission.

13 hours ago, Assman said:

Since used prices don't seem to be going down any time soon, where do I start for an allocation on a new 992?  Is cold calling dealerships the way to go if I don't know anyone in the game?

Not sure what flavor 992 you are looking for but just checked out autotrader and there are a couple GT3’s that don’t seem to be going that far above sticker (besides one dealer on crack).  

Not sure what flavor 992 you are looking for but just checked out autotrader and there are a couple GT3’s that don’t seem to be going that far above sticker (besides one dealer on crack).  
Not Surly 1% so GT3 is unfortunately out of my price range. I'm looking for a C2S. I read somewhere that CY22 allocations should be hitting dealers soon?

1 hour ago, Assman said:
1 hour ago, Atxracer said:

Not Surly 1% so GT3 is unfortunately out of my price range. I'm looking for a C2S. I read somewhere that CY22 allocations should be hitting dealers soon?

If that house you’re building doesn’t have you in the 1%, you’re at about the 1.05%

I'm cautiously excited. I and a few friends have been sad Honda fans for 10+ years (we all started with Hondas in the late 90s: Civic Si, Accord, Integra - my first time on a road course was in an Integra Type R); after the S2000, Honda completely lost its mojo. We want to be fans, we now have the purchasing power, we want to buy Hondas, they've just had a decade of making zero cars we wanted. Please let this be different. I say this as someone who has lost many an Integra Type R auction over the years.

As a tangent, I present this gloriously artistic photo of a Civic Type R. As you say, all they really need to do is make an adult Civic Type R and it'll be awesome.

1349418212_CTRspeedo.thumb.jpg.53ca62e26a589354b7e0907d5fe50071.jpg

On 10/10/2021 at 12:57 PM, Assman said:
On 10/10/2021 at 12:18 PM, Atxracer said:

My dealer here in CO (the largest one in the state) isn’t charging anything but straight MSRP for the c2/4/S versions. Apparently they added 5-10k on new GTS allocations (mine is “supposedly” MSRP) and GT cars are still 30-50k over. If I were you I wouldn’t pay any ADM on a non GT car. If someone tries that bullshit I’d shop it. Plenty of dealers close to central TX

My SA said for a regular S you’ll be looking at 8-10 months from allocation to delivery. I expect a major Texas dealer like Porsche Austin to be similar. 

I also encourage you to read rennlist. There’s several threads where people post their ordering and delivery wait time experiences in real time

Edited by 936horn

My dealer here in CO (the largest one in the state) isn’t charging anything but straight MSRP for the c2/4/S versions. Apparently they added 5-10k on new GTS allocations (mine is “supposedly” MSRP) and GT cars are still 30-50k over. If I were you I wouldn’t pay any ADM on a non GT car. If someone tries that bullshit I’d shop it. Plenty of dealers close to central TX

My SA said for a regular S you’ll be looking at 8-10 months from allocation to delivery. I expect a major Texas dealer like Porsche Austin to be similar. 

I also encourage you to read rennlist. There’s several threads where people post their ordering and delivery wait time experiences in real time
Stevinson?

53 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
1 hour ago, 936horn said:

Stevinson?

I switched down to CO Springs. Stevinson has lost me as a customer since Covid. I live south of the city so CO Springs is only about a 40 min drive 

• Like 1