College Football in 2020 in danger?

The_Great_Hornsby

Chris Fowler video on Instagram with "informed speculation" he is very confident there will be a season played during the upcoming academic year. He is skeptical of the normal schedule, pretty iffy on a "late" schedule that goes from fall into winter. Sounds like he's preparing for a February through May season, since it gives the medical side a chance to settle in and maybe even have fans. He pointed out that this decision will be made on the governmental level, ADs and commissioners won't have much say.

That's nothing too different from what national writers have reported, but you know Fowler has high ESPN connections so his guess is as good as any. They've probably talked to him about whether he'd prefer CFB or the Australian Open which he usually does after the season.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Bartles said:

Chris Fowler video on Instagram with "informed speculation" he is very confident there will be a season played during the upcoming academic year. He is skeptical of the normal schedule, pretty iffy on a "late" schedule that goes from fall into winter. Sounds like he's preparing for a February through May season, since it gives the medical side a chance to settle in and maybe even have fans. He pointed out that this decision will be made on the governmental level, ADs and commissioners won't have much say.

That's nothing too different from what national writers have reported, but you know Fowler has high ESPN connections so his guess is as good as any. They've probably talked to him about whether he'd prefer CFB or the Australian Open which he usually does after the season.

On a completely unrelated tangent, if I could have the job of any sports broadcaster, I want Fowler's. You go to the best college football game every week and then in the offseason, you get to travel to Sydney, London, and Paris for the tennis majors. Not a bad life to lead. Nantz might be my #2 (top NFL games, March Madness, and the Masters).

On 4/10/2020 at 10:56 AM, SubliminalHorn said:

Yes they will probably live. But they can still get seriously sick, maybe even requiring a ventilator or time spent in the ICU. You think it’s ok to expose them to it because you wanna watch football?

You need to stick to the data. Young people without underlying health issues are not at high risk of going to the hospital. Stop with the hysterical hyperbole and stay with what we know. We have tested millions of people and have a baseline of over half a million confirmed cases. Turn off the cable news, stay off your twitter echo chamber and read boring CDC and WHO data. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

12 hours ago, Sejjr said:

Considering there is still no vaccine for SARS or MERS, I am not too optimistic this new Coronavirus vaccine will be coming any time soon. My money is on your side of that bet. 

They stopped developing those vaccines because those viruses were contained. If there was a need, they would have developed them a long time ago. A simple google search would have told you that. 

15 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

You need to stick to the data. Young people without underlying health issues are not at high risk of going to the hospital. Stop with the hysterical hyperbole and stay with what we know. We have tested millions of people and have a baseline of over half a million confirmed cases. Turn off the cable news, stay off your twitter echo chamber and read boring CDC and WHO data. 

So they play without coaches and support staff? They don’t see their parents for 4 or 5 months? How do you see it working?

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 12:57 PM, Newy25 said:

Doesn't the data overwhelmingly support his position?  Since when does using the data that we have collected mean someone is clueless? 

If the data supported his position he wouldn’t have been shot down like he was.  Then he released an apology...basically he was made out as a bitch on the whole deal.  

I’m sure you think the medical field is all in on some conspiracy to keep your precious football away.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Like 1

I wonder if they could finish the south end zone by then? That would be cool. Would the OU game still be at the cotton bowl with no fair? Could they at least get the fletchers stands up and running?

7 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

I wonder if they could finish the south end zone by then? That would be cool. Would the OU game still be at the cotton bowl with no fair? Could they at least get the fletchers stands up and running?

State fair would likely be moved to coincide with the game. If crowds arent allowed at football games, then crowds wont be allowed at the state fair. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bartles said:

So basically no big sports events the remainder of this year. Pretty much what I've been thinking ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MAUFRAIS said:

Imagine the State Fair on Texas/OU weekend with no Fletcher's lines. Shit, I can't even imagine how many Okie viruses I was exposed to waiting in those lines over the years. 

So, imagine a scenario where we actually do have football starting in February, and fans can attend. That would mean we get CFB, NFL, MLB getting started again, probably some sort of NHL & NBA shortened seasons, college baseball, motorsport hopefully starting back up, all the kids' spring sports ramping back up, & probably a lot more ... all at the same time. Gonna be busy AF. Can't wait.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

All this talk of a February start to the season makes me wonder if anyone has ever been to Big 10 country in the winter. I don't see how you get Mich, OSU and ND on board for that.

Heh. Yep. Gonna be some cold af games if this shit happens. And we'll actually get some real football weather for a change, early in the season.

1 hour ago, Not a cat said:

All this talk of a February start to the season makes me wonder if anyone has ever been to Big 10 country in the winter. I don't see how you get Mich, OSU and ND on board for that.

Play all games on domed facilities.  NFL stadiums.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

16 hours ago, Not a cat said:

It'll be fine, with the exception of the random cold front, Midwest winters are much milder now. This year in Chicago most days in Jan/Feb had highs in the low-30s and lows around 20-25. 

• Like 1

This was an unusually mild winter for the Midwest, the one before was absolutely brutal.  It's a crap shoot but your average February upper Midwest day is not something anyone wants to be running around in for 3 hours.  There's a reason the big 10 traditionally shut down the regular season the Friday after Thanksgiving.  Don't get me wrong, I couldnt give 2 shits about the big 10 but they and ND have significant pull and I don't see a season happening without their input.

all the more reason to cancel everything forever
even if we get a Coronavirus vaccine, something else will come along, and we can't have that-- non-essential things like college football, church, concerts, an economy, these are luxuries we can no longer afford
As long as i can get my mortgage forgiven and a few grand in government welfare each month..i'll sit home and drink beer, watch Hulu and play all the Xbox one games that have been neglected till recently.

Solid plan
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Not a cat said:

People will be so football starved by then that they either won't give a shit or move some of the bigger games into domed stadiums.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Not a cat said:

This was an unusually mild winter for the Midwest, the one before was absolutely brutal.  It's a crap shoot but your average February upper Midwest day is not something anyone wants to be running around in for 3 hours.  There's a reason the big 10 traditionally shut down the regular season the Friday after Thanksgiving.  Don't get me wrong, I couldnt give 2 shits about the big 10 but they and ND have significant pull and I don't see a season happening without their input.

I’ve been up here for about 15 years.  People here are better conditioned for -10 than people in the south are for 30 degrees.  I don’t know anyone who wouldn’t take that as an alternative over zero football.  
All the money I’m saving by not going out now will be my bookie’s March 2021.  CFB and March madness?  🤤

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I think they'll attempt to play football, probably with empty stadiums, but as soon as 1 player in DI football tests positive for Covid-19 they'll shut it down. I give it 3 games. All 3-0 teams will declare themselves national champions

Aggy stadium painter phone is ringing.

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I’ve been up here for about 15 years.  People here are better conditioned for -10 than people in the south are for 30 degrees.  I don’t know anyone who wouldn’t take that as an alternative over zero football.  
All the money I’m saving by not going out now will be my bookie’s March 2021.  CFB and March madness?  🤤

This is where I'm at. Playing in cold weather is preferable to those 11a kickoffs in Sept with heat index of 105. 

"As soon as someone tests positive" is understandably a big talking point NOW, but the idea is for testing & treatment to get to the point where one positive COVID is no different that one positive winter cold popping up in the past.

Yes, it might take out more than one person for a brief time, and yes we all know it can be fatal for some people. But the medical consensus is we can reach a good comfort level on sports prior to a vaccine. Not sure the doctors want to talk about full stadiums yet, since that crowd could include at-risk, untested fans.

It'll spread through football teams like wildfire. Not to be morbid but what happens when one dude gets it, and within a few days (and before he's showing symptoms, if he ever does) half the team has it. And then one of those 50 people dies. I'm not sure how you keep that from playing out, other than a vaccine. 

They're tested at least once per week. (Again, this is minimum four months from now, probably more like 10 months. Ideally most of the population is being tested regularly at that point.) Temperature and symptom checks daily. Still somewhat social distanced, like no mingling in large crowds. Schooled on hygiene.

So chances of them getting COVID and having time to spread it widely should be very small. Maybe that's crazy talk. Hard to visualize it now, but things could look quite different as the months go by.

On 4/11/2020 at 3:31 PM, Bartles said:

I've seen the spring semester season reported from a few different places the past couple weeks. If there's that much smoke it feels like there has to be something to it. Who knows how things will play out into the spring - predicting 10-12 months into the future is a fool's errand right now - but it's really hard to imagine crowds of tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands for the biggest games, being okay by the fall.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Red Five said:

It'll spread through football teams like wildfire. Not to be morbid but what happens when one dude gets it, and within a few days (and before he's showing symptoms, if he ever does) half the team has it. And then one of those 50 people dies. I'm not sure how you keep that from playing out, other than a vaccine. 

You don't. FBS teams have well over 100 guys on the squad when you factor in walk ons, scout team, etc. Not to mention dozens of coaches, trainers, managers, other support staff. Death would be pretty likely in the event of a program-wide outbreak. That is why I am pretty certain we're not having a fall season. No athletic department is going to take that risk, nor should they.

20 minutes ago, Bartles said:

They're tested at least once per week. (Again, this is minimum four months from now, probably more like 10 months. Ideally most of the population is being tested regularly at that point.) Temperature and symptom checks daily. Still somewhat social distanced, like no mingling in large crowds. Schooled on hygiene.

So chances of them getting COVID and having time to spread it widely should be very small. Maybe that's crazy talk. Hard to visualize it now, but things could look quite different as the months go by.

Ok, so Caden Sterns is tested on Sunday and contracts it on Monday. Never shows any symptoms. Plays OU on Saturday after spreading it around the Texas team all week. So then OU has it. Which, admittedly, is worth consideration I suppose.

• Like 2

I wonder if having to deal with what will surely be the logistical nightmare of trying to sort out the 2020 athletic calendar nudged Fenves to Emory. No university president wants all their time taken up by that sort of thing, but the money is so big at Texas that it's impossible to escape.

6 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I wonder if having to deal with what will surely be the logistical nightmare of trying to sort out the 2020 athletic calendar nudged Fenves to Emory. No university president wants all their time taken up by that sort of thing, but the money is so big at Texas that it's impossible to escape.

That and oil prices tanking. With state funds now a minuscule portion of the budget, UT may face a budget crunch in academics and athletics next university calendar year. I’d be outta there too, honestly. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

Being that the NBA is putting together a plan to play hoops again soon, we may just wind up with conference games this fall/ no out of league games..?

That'd buy like a month of time. It's impossible to say with any degree of certainty that 10/1 is going to be significantly better than 9/1 at this point. And if you could, they'd just scoot the whole season back. Lots of $$$ is non conference, for big and little schools.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bartles said:

Th United States has conducted roughly 3,000,000 tests since the virus emerged in late 2019. We are not going to get to a point where we are doing 100 times that many tests on a regular basis. Come on.

• Like 1

There’s not a coach that won’t play a key player with mild symptoms. That’s the problem. They’re all scum bags.
  • Like 3