Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

48 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Who argued this? Name names.

spacer.png

8 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Deal with what is in front of you instead of making things up in your mind to be offended about.

Many people, myself included, prefer a process or at least a set of principles for dealing with issues that will arise in the future. It adds some predictability and order. Dealing with everything in a vacuum on an ad hoc basis is not sustainable. So, it's only natural to try to divine principles or rules for future scenarios when assessing a current scenario.

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

And what about the former players who do?

#TokenismIsBad

I haven't heard many of their opinions, but I know that Bucky Godbolt and Rod Babers are in favor of keeping the song.  Both seem pretty strong in their support as a matter of fact, although Rod has expressed some reservations and noted that he knew the origin as a player.  Bucky called the players out pretty hard Monday morning.

My issue is that we are letting the 2020 football team decide the future of a song that has been part of the history of Texas forever.  I had no idea of its origin, and I have a slightly tainted opinion of the song now as a result of its origin.  I realize that bringing the origin to the public will have an impact on our players, both black and otherwise.  But that doesn't mean that the 2020 Texas Football team gets to be judge and jury of whether this song ever gets sung on campus again.

If the 2005 team wants to vote, I may listen.

Edited by jinx
  • Hook 'Em 6

4 minutes ago, jinx said:

I haven't heard many of their opinions, but I know that Bucky Godbolt and Rod Babers are in favor of keeping the song.  Both seem pretty strong in their support as a matter of fact, although Rod has expressed some reservations and noted that he knew the origin as a player.  Bucky called the players out pretty hard Monday morning.

My issue is that we are letting the 2020 football team decide the future of a song that has been part of the history of Texas forever.  I had no idea of its origin, and I have a slightly tainted opinion of the song now as a result of its origin.  I realize that bringing the origin to the public will have an impact on our players, both black and otherwise.  But that doesn't mean that the 2020 Texas Football team gets to be judge and jury of whether this song ever gets sung on campus again.

If the 2005 team wants to vote, I may listen.

Rod has also said he thinks that if the players have to stay on the field during the song, they should be able to protest as they see fit.

Spoiler
46 minutes ago, Lam, Ham & Jam said:

When I think about the Eyes of Texas I think about the unbounded joy to the point of tears that took place in the stands after the 2005 season Rose Bowl win over USC. I think about twenty family members standing and singing with the team while watching on a TV  in Texas.

I think about the students in the Sugar Bowl who got to enjoy a big win and sing “The Eyes” after the win over Georgia in 2018.

I think about singing in the stands with the team after brutal lopsided losses like 50-7 to Baylor in ’87, like 63-14 to OU in 2000 and like 65-13 to OU in 2003. The reason you stay to the end of the game, like so many other fans, is to show support for the team and let them know they don’t have to stand and face an empty stadium even though they just got their asses kicked.  You could get close to the field, you could see their faces, and they could see yours. I would like to think these were times of unity and defiant Longhorn pride, even though by staying to the end of the game, you had to fight traffic and devote an extra hour and a half to your team.

I think about Freddie Steinmark, standing with crutches on one remaining leg at the Cotton Bowl against Notre Dame, with horns held high and tears of joy in his eyes, 3-4 weeks after playing the game of his life against Arkansas and a few days after losing his leg to cancer.

I think about Earl Campbell’s toughness and dignity in his last game, a Cotton Bowl loss to Notre Dame for the national championship.

I think about Darrell Royal being carried off the field by his team after wins over Alabama in the Cotton Bowl after ’72 season, and over Arkansas in his last game at Memorial in ‘76. The image of him standing with his team during “the Eyes” while flashing Hook ‘Em after that Arkansas win is iconic Royal.

I think about a funeral I attended where “The Eyes” made the playlist and we wore orange ties.

I think about it being maybe the first song I ever learned.

Curious what the alma mater means to other Longhorn fans.

I get it, I really do. I'm a 3rd generation UT graduate. I remember going to games with my dad when I was a kid and if we were getting our asses kicked my dad would look around annoyed by the mass exodus and tell me, "we drove 4 hours to get here and we only get to do this a few times a year. We're staying to sing the Eyes". I continued to do that when I started to going to games without him. I've never left a Texas game without singing with my Horns in the air. We played the song at my wedding. I sang it to my newborn daughter as a lullaby. 

I don't feel guilty about the above and nobody has ever said you should feel guilty about what the song makes you feel but I had no idea about the song's origins until this summer. Now...it has gotten very complicated. I empathize with the young black athletes who don't want to participate in this tradition. I'm completely against forcing them or telling them how they are allowed to feel about it just because it's something I care about. And I think it's complete bullshit for any alumni to go after the players and question their motivations like the school belongs to them more so than a current student. 

I'd love for real conversations to happen where the song can be saved and every single Longhorn can stand and sing it together. If we can't get there I'll be ok. The song means something to me because the University of Texas means something to me. We have spotty history with race to say the least but the University of Texas looks forward. We strive to change the world and progress is sometimes complicated. I'll leave being attached to traditions for the sake of traditions to aggy, I want Texas to do what's right, even when it's hard.

Edited by UncleSonny
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Rod has also said he thinks that if the players have to stay on the field during the song, they should be able to protest as they see fit.

I thought they were protesting by not singing it.

Maybe they should try protesting by winning games for a change.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Yeah, not really.  He has said they should get together and show a unified front, or at least have an agreement on what that protest looks like as a TEAM.  Like I said, he has some reservations.  He still wants the song to remain.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, jinx said:

Yeah, not really.  He has said they should get together and show a unified front, or at least have an agreement on what that protest looks like as a TEAM.  Like I said, he has some reservations.  He still wants the song to remain.

And he has that that includes protest if they want, like taking a knee.

Forcing anything is wrong. Let them stay in the locker room as a symbol of division while everyone else promotes unity. 

Division and cancellation are easy, unity, the stated goal is much more difficult and requires going against the mob sometimes. 

Easier to score points on twitter than on the field. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

If the players don’t want to sing it or recognize it, then it’s going to be hard to make them do it long term. It’s only going to cause problems within this year’s team and into the future, no matter how stupid I think that is. 

Does anyone know if Herman and CDC actually were smart enough to bring in some former players that are respected to explain why they still support the song?  How it’s something that the entire University community has shared for decades?  Earl, Ricky, Vince, Jamaal etc. I don’t know about Vince or Jamaal but the two guys that have the field named after them would like the song to maintain its place.  Maybe if that had been done this summer while explaining the social justice initiatives then we wouldn’t be here.  The whole flip flop to now you have to stand there isn’t going to work.  It’s too bad. 

I just love all the portal panic and the recruiting hand wringing.  

These fools initiated a mutiny based on a belief they had extreme leverage ... don’t you want to watch us kick some ass?   If you don’t meet my demands then we might take our ‘talents’ elsewhere.    

Who could have ever predicted the complete lack of focus heading into this year and the shitty undisciplined product?

the portal is down the hall and to the right. 

• Hook 'Em 7

2 minutes ago, Knighthawk said:

These fools initiated a mutiny based on a belief they had extreme leverage ... don’t you want to watch us kick some ass?   If you don’t meet my demands then we might take our ‘talents’ elsewhere.    

Who could have ever predicted the complete lack of focus heading into this year and the shitty undisciplined product?

Maybe those players are realizing the harsh reality that their leverage falls off dramatically without on the field results. If Texas was 4-0, fans wouldn't be focused on what they're doing as long as they are winning. 

2 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Maybe those players are realizing the harsh reality that their leverage falls off dramatically without on the field results. If Texas was 4-0, fans wouldn't be focused on what they're doing as long as they are winning. 

Funny thing is that if they were 4-0 I would wager that over 90% of them would be singing the eyes and damn near crawling up in the stands to celebrate with the fans.   

3 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Rod Babers has said that about a third of the players he's talked to want nothing to do with the Eyes of Texas anymore.

Regardless of how many players Babers spoke to, all but one of the players went into the locker room after the last game. That's a pretty clear indicator of how the players feel. And it's hard to believe CDC was unaware of earlier reports that Herman gave players the option to go into the locker room or not. He certainly was aware they weren't staying on the field through the first four games. This is about the worst possible way for CDC and Herman to handle the situation.

Constitution was written by slave owners

Civil rights act was passed by racists 

Ut, and every other school in the country was founded by racists. 

MLK stuck his dick in every wet hole he could find and hated the gay. 

Fuck it. Everything before 2020 is out. Regardless of whether or not shit that is so progressive today is deemed retarded and regressive in 2060. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

Regardless of how many players Babers spoke to, all but one of the players went into the locker room after the last game. That's a pretty clear indicator of how the players feel. And it's hard to believe CDC was unaware of earlier reports that Herman gave players the option to go into the locker room or not. He certainly was aware they weren't staying on the field through the first four games. This is about the worst possible way for CDC and Herman to handle the situation.

CDC after Game 1: "Hey Tom, make sure the kids and coaches are on the field for the Eyes!"

after Game 2: "Hey Tom, The Eyes? Remember?"

after Game 3: "Gee whiz Tom, they gotta be out there! The fellas are going to be so mad!"

after Game 4: "I really mean it this time! Come on!"

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

Chris Del Conte, if protest includes taking a knee.

what i am about to type in this post in no way cancels anything i've written in this thread, nor is it an endorsement of the galactic asshattery on display in this thread.

i supported Kaepernick taking a knee, and i support our protesters taking a knee.

explaining my rationale requires a level of intelligence and ability to process logic that's beyond the asshats and i just don't have time to work with people who function at a 3rd-grade level.

let them take a knee.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Knighthawk said:

Yep.

Fun watching cancel culture get that shit shoved right back up their asses.

Go ahead an reimagine yourselves working at Motel 6 fellas.

• Hook 'Em 6

2 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Yep.

Fun watching cancel culture get that shit shoved right back up their asses.

Go ahead an reimagine yourselves working at Motel 6 fellas.

Tell em Colonel Reb!  That flag is all about your identity not racism.  ahem....

9 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

what i am about to type in this post in no way cancels anything i've written in this thread, nor is it an endorsement of the galactic asshattery on display in this thread.

i supported Kaepernick taking a knee, and i support our protesters taking a knee.

explaining my rationale requires a level of intelligence and ability to process logic that's beyond the asshats and i just don't have time to work with people who function at a 3rd-grade level.

let them take a knee.

I thought taking a knee was our strategy on defense?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Knighthawk said:

Yeah credibility is lessened when the effort during games this season has been so poor. 

If the 2021 recruiting class shrinks to say 15, the new transfer rule will allow up to 10 transfers immediate eligility under the new Head Coach at Texas.  

It’s all about power. When the players made the list of demands, the school and alums all supported every change. Thought it was right and just. The only thing they asked for compromise on was the song. The players agreed at the time but then reality hit.....

With everyone agreeing with 99% of the changes, they were denied the fight. The sacrifice, revenge, pain they were seeking from the other side. 

Seemed legit at the time. Only had to compromise on one issue. As time passed this left them unfulfilled, and the lashing out intensified with personal failure and criticism of their play.

The only thing left that would statisfy their need for others to feel their pain is the song, their pound of flesh. 

They aren’t deeply offended, they just found the one thing the “opposition” cared about. Their only true leverage, leave their mark. 

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. 
The victory is hollow if your opponent suffers no pain. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nivek said:

Tell em Colonel Reb!  That flag is all about your identity not racism.  ahem....

Yep, that's me, Colonel Reb.   You nailed me.

lulz

Now run along and come up with the next thing you're all of the sudden offended by.  The drama queens are counting on ya.

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

I’m not sure I would have ever graduated from the University of Texas if it wasn’t for the Eyes of Texas. I moved to Texas in 1990 when I was 12 years old. We were major sports fans, and my dads one indulgence when I was young and we were poor was his SF 49ers season tickets- he has 2 tickets, $25.00 per seat, times 10 home games (with preseason) for a smooth $500.00 a year (or roughly 2% of his yearly income as a bread truck driver). He’d sell the playoff tickets to try to recoup as much of his season ticket bill as possible. But sports were what we did for entertainment- and it was all pretty much professional leagues. 
When we moved to Texas it was explained to us that college sports was a big ducking deal and you had to choose between Texas or Texas A and M. Dad had a friend who had a son who went to UT at the time, and is a prolific poster on this site though I don’t know him particularly well personally. His friend took us over to a UT game in 1990 at night against Colorado. The game was thrilling as I remember it (like 28-27 loss or something like that) but it was a night game, it was loud, and everyone stayed to the end. The stadium was packed and I remember thinking that watching 80,000 people singing together, and the horns coming at you from the other side of the stadium at the end of the song, was one of the coolest things ever. 
It made me decide that if I was going to school in this state it was going to be at UT. UT was the only state school I applied to, and when I got a full ride for tuition, fees, books, housing etc that was the school I decided to attend. 
Would I have made that same decision without the eyes and having that marked as such a special occasion for 12 year old me that UT was the school I was going to root for?  I don’t know- but it sure stuck with me and caused me to find out what a great place the University was/is. 
I feel not mad, but sad, that this first bond I formed with the school I loved and shaped so much of my life isn’t shared by everyone right now. Prior to this year I would have thought that bond was almost universal. Now that spirit of unity has been destroyed and there is absolutely nothing that could be cooked up to replace it.

I feel sad everyone doesn’t feel like me. Not mad. Not their fault- not blaming- but definitely sad. 2020 has sucked in so many ways. There’s a lot of shit in our past that we need to understand and deal with, together, but I don’t see how losing points of commonality will make us a better community. This whole thing sucks. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2