America's Game- The 121st Meeting of Army and Navy

To be held at Michie Stadium on post at the United States Military Academy, West Point, New York for the first time since 1943.   Only the Cadets and Midshipmen, the student bodies of both academies will be in the stands.

maxresdefault.jpg

Army comes in 7-2 with losses to Cincinnati and Tulane.  The desire to win on the home turf will be significant.

ZENGSNXSQJH6XN54ZNCM6KCNZE.jpg

Navy comes in 3-6, with having played a tougher schedule than Army.   The Midshipmen will try to build on last year's 31-7 shellacking in Philly.

screen-shot-2020-12-01-at-12.55.57%20PM.

Sing Second!!!

I hate that this game isn't getting stand-alone, 2nd Saturday in the December treatment.  Where deservedly it can get full focus.   Will still be fun to watch but not the same being played outside of Philly. 

It is going to be a hundred times better being played on the West Point campus. I think it’s awesome and would love to see next year played in Annapolis.
  • Hook 'Em 3

I liked it in Baltimore way the fuck better than in Philly.  Wanted to see it played at MetLife too.  The game is bigger than the on-campus stadiums...except during covid.

As an enlisted Marine, adding rivalrous  fodder:

New Navy Football uniforms honor tradition of ignoring Marine Corps

“Next year, it could be a ship’s bilge,” he added. “Bilges are very important parts of the ship.”

Dec 7 4 1  

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-43

By BYOBooyah

ANNAPOLIS, Md. — The U.S. Naval Academy debuted custom uniforms last week in preparation for the upcoming Army-Navy football game which honors the naval tradition of ignoring the Marine Corps, sources confirmed today.

“This year's Army-Navy uniform pays tribute to the Naval Academy with numerous special features as seen on the Yard with the first being the blue and white marble pattern of the helmet and shoulders,” said Academy Superintendent Vice Adm. Sean Buck.

“Some people are claiming that because the design incorporates marble, which is a rock, that we’re indirectly alluding to the Marine Corps. But marble is a fancy rock, much too fancy for those crayon eaters.

Officials said the academy was honoring a long-established practice of ignoring that the Marine Corps exists, which happens most often during defense budget season. And official Navy policy calls for “dicking [the Marine Corps] over” whenever possible, as set out in a naval administrative message released in 1923.

For that reason, the only direct callout on the uniform comes in the form of a Marine eagle, globe, and anchor placed as close to the uniform’s crotch as allowed by the NCAA.

In recent years, West Point has joined Annapolis in releasing custom uniforms ahead of the annual football game. But while Army has leaned on honoring specific combat units and battles they participated in, the Navy’s inspiration has included their mascot, football team, water, and now, stone buildings.

“We had Blue Angel uniforms that one time which is a combat adjacent unit,” said Ed Zeigler, a spokesman for Naval District Washington. “We also thought about doing Navy SEAL uniforms but decided looking like a Sopranos bathroom would be classier.”

“Next year, it could be a ship’s bilge,” he added. “Bilges are very important parts of the ship.”

Despite their lack of recognition on this year’s uniform, Marines make up approximately 20 percent of Naval Academy graduates, officials noted of a deeply embarrassing fact to Academy staff and personnel.

And though swag related to the new uniform will not be available on Marine Crops bases due to “budget cuts,” according to Zeigler, “the Navy has offered up older, outdated, torn up uniforms they can buy.”

The Marine Corps could not be reached for comment in the barracks and calls to a local strip club went unanswered.

Edited by slorch

Went to the 78' game at JFK Stadium (Philly) as a Plebe and we got killed, but yelled are asses off.  Of course we trashed the BF Hotel and when home about 3 am then that Monday we were chewed by the Gen Bard the Commandant of Cadets and said EVERYONE's pay would be docked until the $50k damage bill was satisfied.  Then he said "great spirit" at the game.  Go figure.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Though we've a few Army vets in the family...we're mostly Navy/USMC.  As such, I would prefer it if the Midshipmen of the U.S. Naval Academy were to defeat the Black Knights of the U.S. Military Academy in this weekend's four-quarter contest of men's collegiate football. 

If Army were to pull off an upset, I would hope that the Black Knights don't go rolling down that vaunted and steep West Point ramp like so many caissons.  

25 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Though we've a few Army vets in the family...we're mostly Navy/USMC.  As such, I would prefer it if the Midshipmen of the U.S. Naval Academy were to defeat the Black Knights of the U.S. Military Academy in this weekend's four-quarter contest of men's collegiate football. 

If Army were to pull off an upset, I would hope that the Black Knights don't go rolling down that vaunted and steep West Point ramp like so many caissons.  

You giving points??? because the South Hudson Institute of Technology is favored by 6.5

On 12/9/2020 at 7:34 PM, slorch said:

wait...Plebes got to spend the night in Philly...in '78...after a loss?

The Corps has...gotten tougher( trailing off like Ron Bergundy???)

Nope we got back to The Point around 3-4 am Sunday morning.  It was 42 years ago the memory is a little murky. I just remember going from room to room in the Ben Franklin with bathtubs filled with ice and beer.  Good gawd was there a lot of beer. Remember back then the drinking age was 18. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TheBryMan81 said:

Wow, neg reps for cheering for one military branch over another in a football game. @vtaenz did a sailor steal your girl or something?

Funny thing: most people that actually graduated from these academies don't get nearly as butthurt about this game. The outings I've spent watching this game with my West Point buddies usually involved talking about work or other CFB shit.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I saw a game at West Point in the 90s. Overlooking the Hudson, it has a truly magnificent view. It’s the best college stadium setting I’ve ever seen. Even better, Tom Herman isn’t there. Cheers to both teams and thank you to all the people here who have served. 

Other amazing stadium settings are University of Washington, Holy Cross and Columbia. Can anyone name one that you love?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

Youngest brother is in the Marines and he told me that watching the Army Navy game is a requirement. He enjoys it because they get the day off from work. 

I told my oldest son (USMA 17) that i would just cheer for Army while he went there, and then I would go back to cheering for Navy as I had done most of my life- see Roger Staubach and then my own enlistment in the Marine Corps.

Funny thing happened along the way, though... I fell in love with West Point and how much it means to my son.  Then his younger brother enlisted in the Navy and we thought, "Oh boy, now the shit-talkin in on like Donkey Kong."  At first, before last year's game, their mom and I were trying to be all diplomatic and walking on eggshells with regard to both of them, not picking sides.  Youngest one finally chimes in, "You know it's only a BIG deal for the college boys.  We're just happy if we get some extra time off if Navy wins..."

I can't pull for Navy... I just laugh at how many dynamic players are Marine Op's...

Go Army!  Beat Navy!!!

Edited by slorch