The Trump administration resignation thread

Hugo Stiglitz

Real talk, I’d hope employers will be judicious when it comes to career officials, because the government needed people to keep processing intelligence, negotiating, investigating crimes, and the like. As we saw during the impeachment hearings, a lot of the career officials are our very best and remained committed to their oaths.

That said, people— even “junior”—should absolutely be pressed if they jumped to grab that sweet secondment to the White House, or served in a Senate confirmed role, or suspiciously grabbed a GS gig at the policy level after just a short stint in operations.  Some of these people were true Trump believers. A lot more saw the chance to turbocharge their careers because the real experts and senior people were shut out and pushed out as “disloyal.” And yeah, that reveals a lot about character. 

Edited by 956 Worldwide
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Real talk, I’d hope employers will be judicious when it comes to career officials, because the government needed people to keep processing intelligence, negotiating, investigating crimes, and the like. As we saw during the impeachment hearings, a lot of the career officials are our very best and remained committed to their oaths.

That said, people— even “junior”—should absolutely be pressed if they jumped to grab that sweet secondment to the White House, or served in a Senate confirmed role, or suspiciously grabbed a GS gig at the policy level after just a short stint in operations.  Some of these people were true Trump believers. A lot more saw the chance to turbocharge their careers because the real experts and senior people were shut out and pushed out as “disloyal.” And yeah, that reveals a lot about character. 

I agree. That's why the purging for loyalists and grifters was so egregious. I don't care for institutional sluggishness or bad practices, but having some institutional memory helps keep the wheels on the wagon. I mean, it's a separate service, but will the Post Office ever be the same again?

1 hour ago, 956 Worldwide said:

The biggest problem for Trump was a lot of career and seemingly "non-partisan" roles in our federal government seemed to end up being extremely politicized after 4 years.  Which absolutely was because of loyalist hacks being placed in Senate-confirmed positions.  

On 1/8/2021 at 12:25 PM, Foosters said:

William Crozer. Personal and gov Twitter accounts. Son of the heiress to the Keebler bakery fortune.

Heiress to the Keebler Elves fortune?  I've been waiting to get my hands on those people for years! /jackiechiles

On 1/8/2021 at 11:33 AM, Js1 said:

He's the one that got Trump to do the video by telling him he could be legally responsible for the riot. 

I thought that was the signal to Q that the insurrection act was signed.  Which story do I believe? 🤔

On 1/8/2021 at 12:25 PM, Foosters said:

William Crozer. Personal and gov Twitter accounts. Son of the heiress to the Keebler bakery fortune.

Tell him that the Club is an extremely weak cracker and is dominated by the Ritz in every aspect.

On 1/8/2021 at 8:37 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

Yeah somewhere on here, I said it was complicated because there were some real patriots trying to make a difference, perhaps naively, while others were grifters and some were just civil servants.

I suspect most entities that might hire these people possess the sophistication to sort that out.

I expect more than a handful of resignations today, though probably nobody terribly high-profile.  It's the last day you can stamp your resignation letter while being able to say you left the administration "early."  

Welp.  Undersecretary of Commerce for IP and Director of the USPTO Andre Iancu resigned.

Somehow or other, he was a fantastic PTO director.  Best we've had in 20 years.

Inasmuch as this is a fairly non-partisan position, I had kind of hoped he'd stick around.

I just hope to God Biden doesn't appoint another "bigtech" affiliated Director.  Apart from problems with bigtech, they have been unreasonably and short-sightedly anti-patent.

• Like 1

He's a 10-year lawyer.  Which I suppose is no surprise since he appears to be 16.

His wiki page is interesting.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Ellis_(Trump_administration_official)

In a profile in Foreign Policy, Klion writes that Ellis "was always a staunch conservative" who "had a nervous tic when he lied" and was "an admirer of Otto von Bismarck." In Klion's view, Ellis was "awkward and gangly" as a youth and "made a point of not listening to any contemporary popular music." He wore bowties as well as Eisenhower and Nixon campaign pins on a daily basis.

Edited by TwiceHorn

11 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

He's a 10-year lawyer.  Which I suppose is no surprise since he appears to be 16.

His wiki page is interesting.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Ellis_(Trump_administration_official)

His father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. His mother was a fifteen year-old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet.

His father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes, he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

His childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring, he’d make meat helmets.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1