2021 MLB Thread

LTtxfan

Saw this about regional sports networks in a column about the NHL:

There are reports that Sinclair, the largest RSN owner, is in negotiations with debt holders while NBC Sports may be considering a possible sale of their RSNs. Moreover, all RSNs are looking to offer themselves up on a DTC (direct-to-consumer) basis, but doing so may lead to difficult financial decisions regarding pricing, subscription revenues, rights fees and cash flows. Already, Sinclair and NBC Sports have reportedly floated a model where RSNs are offered directly to consumers at a monthly subscriber fee of between $25-$30. It’s a price that seemingly is intended to maintain the support and distribution of pay-TV outlets, but it’s difficult to see large numbers of subscribers attracted to a streaming service that would cost twice as much as Netflix and about five times as much as ESPN+.

There is no fucking way that I'm paying $25-30/month for FSSW.  For that price, I feel fine about using illegal streams, thank you.  

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Joe West just made a StL reliever change hats when he came in the game because of a smudge on the bill, then tossed the manager for getting upset about it.

Fuck Joe West and his record. Alright Joe, time to hang up the mask and get a job marketing hot dogs or whatever retired umps do. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Joe West just made a StL reliever change hats when he came in the game because of a smudge on the bill, then tossed the manager for getting upset about it.

I am 100% percent behind Joe West leading the crusade against pitchers using foreign substances 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

The random enforcement of that rule is tiring.  

The almost nonexistent enforcement is tiring.  Get rid of the falsely boosted spin rates and cut the strikeout rate, hopefully.

1 hour ago, shnsajax said:

Javy gonna Javy

The only takeaway from that play is the complete and total idiocy of the first baseman. Well also his laziness.

1. Step on the bag and the inning's over you dumbass

2. Run toward Baez and he's eventually out and the run never scores

Sure Baez tried something, but that's just tee ball crap from the 1B.

• Hook 'Em 4

Shit I forgot other parts of the idiocy. If he had never thrown the ball to the catcher the run wouldn't have counted even if he got to the plate before Baez was out. In fact, the run wouldn't have counted if the eventual throw to first had beaten Baez.

Total disaster by the Pittsburgh 1B. What's his name so I can hate him forever?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Shit I forgot other parts of the idiocy. If he had never thrown the ball to the catcher the run wouldn't have counted even if he got to the plate before Baez was out. In fact, the run wouldn't have counted if the eventual throw to first had beaten Baez.

308BCED6-189D-4A95-BE40-A62CD89D0C71.jpeg

26 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The only takeaway from that play is the complete and total idiocy of the first baseman. Well also his laziness.

1. Step on the bag and the inning's over you dumbass

2. Run toward Baez and he's eventually out and the run never scores

Sure Baez tried something, but that's just tee ball crap from the 1B.

Agreed, but I am also willing to bet this happens more than we ever notice simply because the runners just stop and don't pay attention themselves. 

4 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Javy gonna Javy

Not shown is that immediately before that pitch, the guy that scored was picked off first...and Will Craig didn’t even attempt a throw to 2nd to complete the CS (it would have been tough to complete, but still).

just a complete debacle of an inning 

5 hours ago, shnsajax said:

Javy gonna Javy

1.  What Huck said.  1B fucked that up as badly as anything I've ever seen. 

2.  I think the ump should have called Baez out for heading back towards the plate.  

Edited by Beau Vine

7 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Wild thing is he had two times outs.

Yeah that was one of the nuttiest things I've ever seen. It made the crawl on ESPN during the Texas game and I thought "hmm that must have been pretty zany for them to put a single play like that on the crawl" and I just watched it because it's at the very top of reddit. Everyone in there commenting is just in disbelief. 

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I thought you're it out if you give up trying to advance, but that apparently only applies to dropped third strikes.

It was no different than a rundown where the base that the runner can retreat to is already occupied. Which happens a lot. 

Upon further reflection I am going to lay off of Will Craig moving forward. Maybe because I'm getting soft in my old age and the little league team I coach lost the championship game last night, but somewhere in that now somewhat highly paid man is still the little kid who dreamed of making the major leagues. And less than two weeks after realizing that dream he will now forever be associated with one of the worst plays in baseball history. That's gotta fucking sting.

I shall now spread the hate toward the rest of his team, absolutely none of whom yelled at him to just step on first base as confirmed by his teammates after the game. I mean for fuck's sake it would have just taken anyone on the Pirates to pull their head out of their ass. At least his manager and teammates tried to shield him by owning up that fact in postgame.

Edited by Huckleberry

17 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Upon further reflection I am going to lay off of Will Craig moving forward. Maybe because I'm getting soft in my old age and the little league team I coach lost the championship game last night, but somewhere in that now somewhat highly paid man is still the little kid who dreamed of making the major leagues. And less than two weeks after realizing that dream he will now forever be associated with one of the worst plays in baseball history. That's gotta fucking sting.

I shall now spread the hate toward the rest of his team, absolutely none of whom yelled at him to just step on first base as confirmed by his teammates after the game. I mean for fuck's sake it would have just taken anyone on the Pirates to pull their head out of their ass. At least his manager and teammates tried to shield him by owning up that fact in postgame.

Will is the biggest moron of them, but yes there are numerous dumbasses on the Pirates.  The 2nd baseman Frazier should have been standing on 1st the whole time and just been yelling at the dumbass to turn around and throw him the ball....or at least be standing there for when the catcher had to throw to first.