Jump to content

Maalikmas 2.0! - 2022 QB Maalik Murphy


Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He has so little experience under live fire it's a near-guarantee he'll have some growing pains and drop under some more polished recruits. Nothing sinister.

Then why rank him so high to begin with? They already know he has limited experience and is on a meh team. I'm interested to see how he does in camps. If the same potential shows that he showed as a sophomore, then he should keep his ranking. It isn't like a care about what other "experts" think, I just think it is stupid to rank someone high and then tell everyone that he is going to fall without any new evidence. To me, it just seems like some Texas recruitniks getting pissy because he's not Ewers.

Edited by Bevo
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Then why rank him so high to begin with? They already know he has limited experience and is on a meh team. I'm interested to see how he does in camps. If the same potential shows that he showed as a sophomore, then he should keep his ranking. It isn't like a care about what other "experts" think, I just think it is stupid to rank someone high and then tell everyone that he is going to fall without any new evidence. To me, it just seems like some Texas recruitniks getting pissy because he's not Ewers.

Early rankings are always super wonky and Gerry isn't the only voice in the room.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Then why rank him so high to begin with? They already know he has limited experience and is on a meh team. I'm interested to see how he does in camps. If the same potential shows that he showed as a sophomore, then he should keep his ranking. It isn't like a care about what other "experts" think, I just think it is stupid to rank someone high and then tell everyone that he is going to fall without any new evidence. To me, it just seems like some Texas recruitniks getting pissy because he's not Ewers.

He will have a chance to put some stuff on scotchtape in a month hopefully and will probably have his whole senior season to silence the critics. I wouldn't worry about his ranking regardless though. He has exceptional arm talent and isn't really under pressure to play with 2 likely very good to excellent upperclassmen and 2  solid qbs on the roster ahead of him. Also sounds like he's a humble kid and won't portal if he's not starting immediately, which is quite valuable at QB.

This is the kind of luxury you have with your roster when you recruit a good qb every year.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Then why rank him so high to begin with? They already know he has limited experience and is on a meh team. I'm interested to see how he does in camps. If the same potential shows that he showed as a sophomore, then he should keep his ranking. It isn't like a care about what other "experts" think, I just think it is stupid to rank someone high and then tell everyone that he is going to fall without any new evidence. To me, it just seems like some Texas recruitniks getting pissy because he's not Ewers.

247 has him at 62. Rivals has him at 45. ESPN has him at 16. The ESPN ranking is the only reason he's (barely) a composite 5 star. ESPN doesn't update the rankings very often and has said for weeks that Murphy will drop in their next update. This is more of an instance of Texas fans getting pissy that Murphy is going to drop in the rankings right after committing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

247 has him at 62. Rivals has him at 45. ESPN has him at 16. The ESPN ranking is the only reason he's (barely) a composite 5 star. ESPN doesn't update the rankings very often and has said for weeks that Murphy will drop in their next update. This is more of an instance of Texas fans getting pissy that Murphy is going to drop in the rankings right after committing.

Why does a small minority of Texas fans insist on this kind of simpering self-loathing? A fifth star is usually reserved for seemingly can't-miss prospects. Murphy is more of a high-risk, high-reward take with five star upside, but not a five star floor. There is always an exception to the rule, but spare us the tiresome and Quixotic "Texas fans are getting pissy that Murphy is going to drop in the rankings" schpiel. Most posters here see Murphy as a solid high four star, which is probably what he should be.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Voluminous Banality said:

Why does a small minority of Texas fans insist on this kind of simpering self-loathing? A fifth star is usually reserved for seemingly can't-miss prospects. Murphy is more of a high-risk, high-reward take with five star upside, but not a five star floor. There is always an exception to the rule, but spare us the tiresome and Quixotic "Texas fans are getting pissy that Murphy is going to drop in the rankings" schpiel. Most posters here see Murphy as a solid high four star, which is probably what he should be.

It's not about Surly, it's about people like the Horns247 posters, who are dumber and much more numerous.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Voluminous Banality said:

Most posters here see Murphy as a solid high four star, which is probably what he should be.

Or find the distinction between high 4 and low 5 stars as pretty arbitrary and largely meaningless. 

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 star or 5 star, doesn’t matter. What matters is that this guy has elite arm talent. Sarkisian and Milwee  will work on the release and footwork, but you can’t coach arm talent like his. 

Edited by FloridaHorn
Stupid iphone
  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

In one of his initial post-hire interviews, someone asked Sark what he looks for in QBs and his answer was all about mindset (competitiveness, work ethic, coachability, etc.). I think he has the attitude that he can coach up anyone as long as they are receptive and willing. Kind of bold but if there's anyone with the track record to back that up, it's Sark (maybe Riley too).

Given that and all the positive reports on Murphy's personality, it makes sense Sark would target him. He has the physical tools that can't be taught and Sark believes he can teach him all the other stuff where he's still raw. Also, if Card doesn't transfer, Murphy will have at least a couple years on campus before he's the guy.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Tons of casual fans follow recruiting just closely enough to know Texas lost a pledge from one 5-star QB but then replaced him with another. They really couldn't tell you any more about either guy, so they don't know the difference. Then they start hearing the new pledge is pretty much raw material, and they either want to fight the naysayers or decide the prospect must be garbage. Just the latest round of hand wringing by our t-shirt crowd, which makes it a lot like other t-shirt crowds. 

  • Hook 'Em 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

Tons of casual fans follow recruiting just closely enough to know Texas lost a pledge from one 5-star QB but then replaced him with another. They really couldn't tell you any more about either guy, so they don't know the difference. Then they start hearing the new pledge is pretty much raw material, and they either want to fight the naysayers or decide the prospect must be garbage. Just the latest round of hand wringing by our t-shirt crowd, which makes it a lot like other t-shirt crowds. 

Rick Nueheisel on his XM show was playing right into this.. "Murphy comes from a powerhouse program, etc... but it feels like Texas and Sark conceited to tosu and threw the towel on Ewers, I just don't understand it.  I have not seen either on tape, but it is odd to see Texas with the number 1 QB in the state, give up" blah blah blah

Fuck Rick

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

In one of his initial post-hire interviews, someone asked Sark what he looks for in QBs and his answer was all about mindset (competitiveness, work ethic, coachability, etc.). I think he has the attitude that he can coach up anyone as long as they are receptive and willing. Kind of bold but if there's anyone with the track record to back that up, it's Sark (maybe Riley too).

Given that and all the positive reports on Murphy's personality, it makes sense Sark would target him. He has the physical tools that can't be taught and Sark believes he can teach him all the other stuff where he's still raw. Also, if Card doesn't transfer, Murphy will have at least a couple years on campus before he's the guy.

As long as he doesn't draft Tebow in round 1 we're good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Rick Nueheisel on his XM show was playing right into this.. "Murphy comes from a powerhouse program, etc... but it feels like Texas and Sark conceited to tosu and threw the towel on Ewers, I just don't understand it.  I have not seen either on tape, but it is odd to see Texas with the number 1 QB in the state, give up" blah blah blah

Fuck Rick

Lol he knows better than that. Just stirring the pot and grumpy that UT took UCLA's QB1 off their board.

  • Hook 'Em 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Lol he knows better than that. Just stirring the pot and grumpy that UT took UCLA's QB1 off their board.

That had to be the reason.. because he was saying Ewers is 1 and Murphy is 2.. both are rated high.. but he still couldn't understand why Texas took Murphy now?  Childers was like "he's a stud, it's a no brainer you take his commitment". Atleast one of them got it lol

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Rick Nueheisel on his XM show was playing right into this.. "Murphy comes from a powerhouse program, etc... but it feels like Texas and Sark conceited to tosu and threw the towel on Ewers, I just don't understand it.  I have not seen either on tape, but it is odd to see Texas with the number 1 QB in the state, give up" blah blah blah
Fuck Rick

Meh, he is usually right and does a nice job of providing insight vs the constant barrage of personalities on air. It is odd that we lost out on the #1 guy that happens to be in the state and county, and went to California to get #2.

Think Ohio State or Alabama has that problem?

Try not to be so emotional about this stuff.
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Nivek said:


Meh, he is usually right and does a nice job of providing insight vs the constant barrage of personalities on air. It is odd that we lost out on the #1 guy that happens to be in the state and county, and went to California to get #2.

Think Ohio State or Alabama has that problem?

Try not to be so emotional about this stuff.

tenor.gif?itemid=5209279

  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Thiefery said:

Rick Nueheisel on his XM show was playing right into this.. "Murphy comes from a powerhouse program, etc... but it feels like Texas and Sark conceited to tosu and threw the towel on Ewers, I just don't understand it.  I have not seen either on tape, but it is odd to see Texas with the number 1 QB in the state, give up" blah blah blah

Fuck Rick

tbf he's son Jerry is the WR coach at UCLA so he's got more skin in the game than just being the former UCLA HC. 

  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nivek said:


Meh, he is usually right and does a nice job of providing insight vs the constant barrage of personalities on air. It is odd that we lost out on the #1 guy that happens to be in the state and county, and went to California to get #2.

Think Ohio State or Alabama has that problem?

Try not to be so emotional about this stuff.

Yea except it’s really not?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, golfclap said:

tbf he's son Jerry is the WR coach at UCLA so he's got more skin in the game than just being the former UCLA HC. 

Have been told by his former fraternity brothers at UCLA that Jerry is a socially inept douche, and this is the guy they were hoping would save the Murphy recruitment when Bible retired

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nivek said:


Meh, he is usually right and does a nice job of providing insight vs the constant barrage of personalities on air. It is odd that we lost out on the #1 guy that happens to be in the state and county, and went to California to get #2.

Think Ohio State or Alabama has that problem?

Try not to be so emotional about this stuff.

Maybe.  They both seem to like to go OOS to get their QBs.  Strange enough, that includes Texas and California.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Maybe.  They both seem to like to go OOS to get their QBs.  Strange enough, that includes Texas and California.

That is not the same discussion. Rick is correct here. It is odd when a premier program loses a high caliber stud that grew up a fan of the school, in their backyard to elsewhere when there is a need for that player as well.

The explanation we all know well. A guy that covers 120+ teams doesn’t know it as well. He was perplexed by Tom Herman as well. He could coach, but why was he so pedestrian at Texas? Why did we go away from the hot hand? The rotations of WR and RB confused Rick (and me).
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Nivek said:


That is not the same discussion. Rick is correct here. It is odd when a premier program loses a high caliber stud that grew up a fan of the school, in their backyard to elsewhere when there is a need for that player as well.

The explanation we all know well. A guy that covers 120+ teams doesn’t know it as well. He was perplexed by Tom Herman as well. He could coach, but why was he so pedestrian at Texas? Why did we go away from the hot hand? The rotations of WR and RB confused Rick (and me).

Did we revoke Quinn's scholarship?  I see where Rick is coming from, I guess, but it's a lazy surface level analysis.  I think if there's a debate, it's is Maalik the guy to go all in on?  I think so, but we don't even know if Sark is all in?  He could have an offer out for another 5 star qb.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Did we revoke Quinn's scholarship?  I see where Rick is coming from, I guess, but it's a lazy surface level analysis.  I think if there's a debate, it's is Maalik the guy to go all in on?  I think so, but we don't even know if Sark is all in?  He could have an offer out for another 5 star qb.

You are arguing just to argue.  Ewers was the guy last year for Tom Herman.   Rick is talking about Ewers because Ewers was the guy, committed and then decommitted to Texas under Herman.    Sark getting Malik has nothing to do with Ewers.  The Ewers saga started and ended before Sark got here, and before Malik committed.   Rick is correct.  It is odd.  He didn't cry and say Texas is the worst program and kicks puppies named Jesus.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Nivek said:

You are arguing just to argue.  Ewers was the guy last year for Tom Herman.   Rick is talking about Ewers because Ewers was the guy, committed and then decommitted to Texas under Herman.    Sark getting Malik has nothing to do with Ewers.  The Ewers saga started and ended before Sark got here, and before Malik committed.   Rick is correct.  It is odd.  He didn't cry and say Texas is the worst program and kicks puppies named Jesus.  

Is it that odd? Sark came, took his shot with the #1 guy on everyone's board, then made sure to lock up the next guy on his board. Sark taking Maalik 100% has something to do with Ewers - it wouldn't have happened if Ewers had flipped back. I'm sure he's going to keep plugging away with Ewers, but otherwise that's a pretty standard recruiting storyline.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Is it that odd? Sark came, took his shot with the #1 guy on everyone's board, then made sure to lock up the next guy on his board. Sark taking Maalik 100% has something to do with Ewers - it wouldn't have happened if Ewers had flipped back. I'm sure he's going to keep plugging away with Ewers, but otherwise that's a pretty standard recruiting storyline.

I think he's just agreeing that it's odd that we lost out to the top recruit in the state/country because we're the flagship and he grew up a fan? When in reality we've only landed the top composite in state recruit twice since 2015 and the Texas fan angle has been null for us so it's really not odd at all?

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

We also lost Jackson from the '20 class and Milroe from the '21 class.  Had they still been on the roster, Sark would have been in a much safer position to choose to delay Maalik, assuming he was even interested in doing that.  Once they were gone, there was even greater risk if we ended up going multiple classes with third=tier backup options.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2021 at 8:54 AM, Thiefery said:

Rick Nueheisel on his XM show was playing right into this.. "Murphy comes from a powerhouse program, etc... but it feels like Texas and Sark conceited to tosu and threw the towel on Ewers, I just don't understand it.  I have not seen either on tape, but it is odd to see Texas with the number 1 QB in the state, give up" blah blah blah

Fuck Rick

Rick New weasal is the same guy that negative recruited UT in the 90’s, trying to instill fear of Tower shootings.  Fuck that guy. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2021 at 11:20 AM, golfclap said:

tbf he's son Jerry is the WR coach at UCLA so he's got more skin in the game than just being the former UCLA HC. 

Previously at aggy under Rumlin.  Lot of UT hate from New weasel.

Link to post
Share on other sites

https://theathletic.com/2396451/2021/02/19/maalik-murphy-texas-recruiting-highlights/

Inside Maalik Murphy’s commitment to Texas: The five-star QB’s path to a decision

Spoiler

LOS ANGELES — Since the late 2000s, Scott Altenberg has gotten a front seat to the recruitments of star-studded players such as Robert Woods, Marqise Lee and Adoree’ Jackson, all of whom starred for his program at Junipero Serra (Gardena, Calif.) and later went on to play in the NFL.

But Maalik Murphy’s recruitment was always a bit different and much less traditional.

When Altenberg spoke to The Athletic about the quarterback in June 2019, Murphy was a 15-year-old who had just wrapped up his freshman year as the JV starter and varsity backup. Murphy had played in a handful of varsity games the season prior and had started none, yet he held offers from the likes of LSU, Florida State, Florida, Ohio State and Texas by the end of his freshman year.

“The Ohio State guys, the Texas guys. They’re like, ‘This is crazy, coach, but we’re offering him.’” Altenberg recalled at the time. “But his talent dictates that.”

Nearly two years later, Murphy hasn’t garnered a ton more experience. He was banged up during his sophomore year in the fall of 2019, and the pandemic wiped out his junior season last year. But this is a talent-driven sport, and the talent is obvious with the 6-foot-4, 225-pound Murphy, who possesses a rocket for a throwing arm.

So despite the lack of experience, Murphy is a five-star prospect, according to the 247Sports Composite, the No. 3 overall QB in the 2022 recruiting cycle. New Texas coach Steve Sarkisian had his sights set on Murphy for a while, and the two built their connection over the past few months.

Six days ago, that led to Murphy’s commitment to the Longhorns, giving Sarkisian one of his first major recruiting triumphs since his hiring in January. Murphy will be one of the more fascinating high-profile college quarterbacks in recent memory, and his path from Gardena, Calif. to Austin was a unique one built on relationships and conversations that predated the new Texas staff.

When it comes to his recruitment, Murphy has always had the benefit of time. He received his first offer — from Indiana — on his 14th birthday. He was still a few months away from his eighth-grade graduation.

Colorado State soon jumped into the pool and offered, and plenty of blueblood programs eventually followed suit. Even though it’s been three years since Murphy received his first offer, there was never any need to rush his decision.

The pandemic impacted a lot in the recruiting world. Players couldn’t take official visits. Coaches couldn’t evaluate players in person. California high schools didn’t play football last fall.

“I think you’ve got to change what your timetable was after you see we’re not on schedule anymore here,” said Danny Hernandez, Murphy’s private quarterback coach.

Murphy said his decision to announce his commitment to Texas on Saturday was ultimately based mainly on feel — not to mention the proximity of another big day.

“I felt like it was a good situation for me over there, and I couldn’t think of a better time for me than my birthday,” Murphy said. “My birthday was near, so that’s how it kind of mapped out.”

Don’t think Murphy committed on a whim, though. It was a years-long process in which loyalty and relationships played a central role.

“He’ll definitely give someone the opportunity to build that relationship, but if you don’t take advantage of that opportunity, you’re out,” Hernandez said. “It was funny, there were schools you really wouldn’t think about who had a pretty good shot with him. Rutgers is kind of out of nowhere. ‘Rutgers, why would you be interested in Rutgers?’ But they did such a good job with the communication with him that he felt comfortable with those guys.”

Murphy never released a list of top schools or finalists, but there were five programs that surged ahead of the others: Texas, Rutgers, UCLA (the only West Coast school in the mix toward the end), Penn State and NC State.

“Me and (new Penn State offensive coordinator Mike Yurcich) go back three or four years now, we go way back,” Murphy said. “He was a big recruiter for me when I was at Ohio State. (NC State offensive coordinator Tim Beck) was the first person who offered me at Texas. The whole Rutgers staff, we stayed in touch with however long they were recruiting me. UCLA, that’s my home school. Basically, like the first stop before I get out of the state. So they all just stayed in touch and basically kept me on their mind throughout the whole thing.”

Throughout the process, Murphy had people he could lean on for advice and support, from his parents, Ron and Alycia, to Hernandez, to his seven-on-seven coaches at Premium.

He wanted to get the perspective of those closest to him, people he believed had his best interests in mind. Those conversations reinforced that fit would be the most important factor in Murphy’s decision — a simple solution that requires a lot of context.

“Let’s look at things and what the path is,” Hernandez said. “Let’s look at that QB room. Does it make sense for you? How are they developing quarterbacks? Let’s look at the stability with the coaches. Are you going into a program where this coach is kind of on a hot seat and this coach has to win and really needs you to make some of those things happen? Or are you going to a situation where you feel like he’s pretty secure there? The QB coach, the head coach, the offensive coordinator, all those pieces. … So those are some of the things that you’re thinking about with him. Let’s put ourselves somewhere where there’s some really good stability. Where there’s not necessarily that pressure you have to start Game 1, where you go in there and really get developed. If that path is a redshirt path, so be it. That’s fine and make that happen.”

Texas hasn’t exactly been a model of stability over the past few years, but the Longhorns have been a constant presence in Murphy’s recruitment. Tim Beck and Mike Yurcich kept NC State and Penn State in the mix, respectively, but the time both had spent as Texas offensive coordinator over the past few years had strengthened the Longhorns’ case.

“I remember Beck saying, ‘Man, I’m going to get a lot of crap here (in Texas) that the first 2022 offer that I put out is a California quarterback. This kid’s special, though, and he’s different,’” Hernandez said. “Yurcich comes in and Yurcich loves him and already offered him at Ohio State. He’s building that relationship with him there at Texas, now he’s at Penn State. So Texas has always kind of been in the mix. Just a matter of how.

“Sark was really the guy to seal the deal when it was all said and done. Sark’s a closer.”

Sarkisian has always been an elite recruiter. Talent acquisition has never been a problem for him in his past head coaching stops or as the offensive coordinator at Alabama.

The on-field fit was obvious for Murphy. Texas is always going to have high-end talent, but he watched how Sarkisian utilized Alabama’s stars this year, such as Heisman Trophy winner DeVonta Smith and running back Najee Harris, and how quarterback Mac Jones was able to spread the ball around to all his talented playmakers and was put in a position to succeed.

If you’re going to move from Los Angeles to Texas, there has to be more to the fit than that. That’s where both coach and player’s ties to Southern California come into play.

“We’re both going to be new to the state, new to the team, and he’s going to take care of me,” Murphy said. “It’s going to be a family atmosphere, and he’ll put me in the best situation possible basically. I won’t be left out, and he’ll put me in the best possible situation as my coach.”

“When you go to a place like the South, whether you’re going to the SEC or you’re going to a school like Texas, you know the tradition and the history that those places have,” Hernandez said. “And if you’re a California guy that’s going in, you’ve got to deliver right away or else it’s going to be pretty cutthroat for you. The relationship with Sark, and Bryce (Young) making that move over there (to Alabama), that made sense. Going to the South didn’t feel that big of a difference when you have a guy you’re talking to who you completely relate to and he’s from the same area.

“Now Maalik is walking into the same exact situation with a coach who’s completely familiar with all the little details of growing up in Los Angeles that he’s going to be really able to relate to him. And that feels good when you’re so many miles from home. ”

Murphy’s mother works at UCLA, but neither she nor Murphy’s father had a problem with their son leaving the state to play college football. So there wasn’t much standing in Murphy’s way when he found himself sitting on the couch with his dad last month.

“I called (Sarkisian),” Murphy said. “I was going to (commit) when we got on the Zoom with me, my mom, my dad and him. We had got on Zoom like a week prior, just running us through the whole thing and what he’s bringing to the table there at Texas and how I could do there. It (was) go time and I let him know I wanted to (announce) my commitment on my birthday. So we were sitting there, talking with my dad, and called him and let him know, ‘I’m ready.’”

After he committed on Saturday, Murphy received a text from Alabama quarterback Bryce Young. They both trained with Hernandez over the years and played for the same seven-on-seven team. Now Murphy was committing to the coach who was integral in getting Young, the No. 1 quarterback in the 2020 recruiting cycle, to Tuscaloosa.

“(Young) texted me and said I popped up on the bottom of the screen when he was watching ESPN,” Murphy said. “And he told me congrats and I’m going to love the offense and what Sark can do for me. That was a good thing, him reaching out and letting me know that’s a good situation.”

Murphy’s commitment is far from the end of the intrigue surrounding the blue-chip quarterback class of 2022. When Sarkisian was hired, the initial thought was that he’d pursue the nation’s top-rated 2022 quarterback, Southlake Carroll (Texas) High School’s Quinn Ewers. Ewers was committed to Texas for a few months last year, but when the hot seat chatter started to intensify for Tom Herman, Ewers flipped his commitment to Ohio State. What does Murphy’s commitment mean for Texas’ pursuit of Ewers? It’s difficult for schools to sign two four-star QBs. Signing two five-stars in the same class is essentially impossible.

“I think that’s the plan as of now, that they’re only taking one (quarterback),” Murphy said. “But if they do end up taking another, I can’t control that. I’m ready to compete no matter what. That’s not my concern right now.”

Is Murphy’s commitment a sign that Sarkisian will try to make a dent in the West Coast recruiting landscape? “As a Cali guy, we’re all expecting it,” Murphy said.

But first, there are questions left to be answered about Murphy, who hasn’t played in a high school game in almost a year and a half and still hasn’t started a varsity game yet. The occasional Twitter user or comment section visitor will ask how he can possibly be a five-star prospect with such little production.

“It’s all projection/upside. It’s not about what you’ve done,” 247Sports national recruiting analyst Greg Biggins told The Athletic when discussing Murphy back in 2019. “It’s about how you project. What can you be three to four years down the road?”

That still holds true today. Murphy probably won’t get the chance to prove himself and garner more experience until this fall. But that obviously wasn’t a huge impediment in his recruitment.

“Maalik is a guy who got his first offer in eighth grade,” Hernandez said. “When you take a look at him even back then, if this guy continues to develop the way we expect him to develop, he could really be a Day 1 draft pick when it’s all said and done. Obviously, we’ve got to crawl, then walk, then run, right?”

Murphy has spent the majority of the past year training with Hernandez. The arm talent is there — Murphy beat projected No. 1 pick Trevor Lawrence and several other college QBs in a longest-throw competition when he was just 15 — and has been since he was a child. Murphy’s not a speedster, but he can move enough in the pocket. His timing has been a major point of emphasis, and he and Hernandez have worked to improve that as much as they can. There’s also been plenty of film study in an effort to raise his football IQ without the benefit of regular game action.

But until he plays in a game, it will be difficult to truly assess Murphy’s development. He only has so many high school games left, so most of that development will have to take place at Texas, but he gathered enough information on the road to his decision that left him feeling prepared to face that challenge.

“Being in the state of Texas, them being huge on football, and I’d be the face, basically, of the college,” Murphy said. “It’s a big responsibility but there’s a big reward to it, so it goes both ways.”

 

  • Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2021 at 3:51 PM, Hank_Hill said:

I think he's just agreeing that it's odd that we lost out to the top recruit in the state/country because we're the flagship and he grew up a fan? When in reality we've only landed the top composite in state recruit twice since 2015 and the Texas fan angle has been null for us so it's really not  at all?

It would be one thing if Ewers had decommitted and just opened up his recruitment. Instead, he picked another program that has had more recent success. He didn't flip once Herman was fired and Sark brought in. Why wouldn't we take the commitment of the next talent who is ready to give it? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2021 at 9:02 AM, Thiefery said:

That had to be the reason.. because he was saying Ewers is 1 and Murphy is 2.. both are rated high.. but he still couldn't understand why Texas took Murphy now?  Childers was like "he's a stud, it's a no brainer you take his commitment". Atleast one of them got it lol

Occam's Razor.  Neuheisel is a cunt.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...