Brexit shenanigans

bernorange

21 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This guy gets it.

We are well into a cycle of rampant nationalism.  If anyone -- ANYONE -- has a historical example of such a cycle NOT ending in bloodshed, I'm all ears.

Well, it is very prevalent now.  However, its hard to say its rampant yet.  Its below 50% everywhere.  We are the only dumbfucks that allow a tyrannical minority to rule us.  Actual nationalists here probably make up about 25% of the population. 

The Brits got hoodwinked and are kicking the can long enough to walk it back. We've seen a step up in nationalist parties elsewhere in Europe, but they've only gotten to the point where they influence conservative parties rather than rule.  AfD won 13% of the German vote, which is a lot compared to recent history, but not enough to send German soldiers into France just yet.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

This guy gets it.

We are well into a cycle of rampant nationalism.  If anyone -- ANYONE -- has a historical example of such a cycle NOT ending in bloodshed, I'm all ears.

Just let the UK go. They will just get madder and madder if this keeps being dragged out. Like an abused wife, she might stab you if you keep treating her like shit.

1 minute ago, workswithseed said:

Just let the UK go. They will just get madder and madder if this keeps being dragged out. Like an abused wife, she might stab you if you keep treating her like shit.

Except over half the people in the UK don't want to go now.  Bit of a fly in the ointment.

1 hour ago, FondrenRoad said:

There are a lot of parallels including an urban rural divide. We think of Europe and the UK as being more hoity toity and cosmopolitan than us, but the UK, in particular, has some run down small towns that make West Virginia seem like a land of opportunity and those towns are filled with people that make West Virginians seem upper crust.

I read an article a while back about a reporter that spent some time in some of those towns. The general sentiment wasn't xenophobic as much as spiteful with the understanding that Brexit would harm the UK as  whole.  Along the lines of, "It always sucks here. Can't get much worse. Nobody does shit for us anyway.  Let's take London down to our level.".

Those voters combined with actual xenophobes are enough to get your 40% base. Seems like 40% is the going number everywhere. 

As far as nationalism goes, Europe was better in the 3 decades where they had a shortage of men. Men always lead themselves down the same path where they create that shortage again through war.   You'd think people would want to get out of the cycle. But nope. Global war is coming. 

exactly. just look at the map:

59326a474cb1e4221247dc8f-750-490.png

We are going to start experiencing this same thing, if we haven’t already.  Are the Brits calling this out?

It doesn’t matter. Outright deception is the order of the day in politics now. And the nationalist-fascist-alt-right-xenophobia alliance is very, very good at it.

YouGov’s latest European Parliament voting intention poll shows support for both the Labour and Conservative parties falling away as the electorate intends to cast protest votes on both sides of the Brexit debate.

The Brexit Party remains well ahead of the pack with 35% of the vote, while the pro-EU Liberal Democrats move into second place on 16%, just ahead of Labour on 15%. The Greens and Conservatives make up the top five on 10% and 9% respectively.

These latest results are taken from a representative sample of over 7,000 British adults conducted between 12th and 16th May. This larger than usual sample allows us to look closely at how different groups are likely to vote next week.
The vast majority of 2017 Conservative voters who voted Leave in 2016 now plan to vote for the Brexit party in the EU elections (78%), with only 12% staying loyal. Theresa May is doing a relatively better job of holding on to those Conservatives who voted Remain (42%), though a quarter (25%) are moving to the Lib Dems.

Labour is also struggling when it comes to previous backers who supported Leave, with around half (47%) planning to vote for the Brexit party. ...

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2019/05/16/labour-and-tories-lose-majority-support-brexit-pro

Edited by bernorange

So...broadyly speaking we have:

Leave: Brexit (35%), Conservative (9%), UKIP (3%)

Remain: Liberal Democrats (16%), Labour (15%), Green (10%), Change UK (5%)

Other: 7%

By my count, that's roughly Leave at 47% and Remain at 46% with the other minor parties, whose positions I don't know, left at 7%. Seems that not much has changed.

I didn't quote the entire article associated with that poll, but there was another interesting takeaway:

Those who favour a No Deal Brexit are overwhelmingly planning to back the Brexit Party (80%). The Conservatives come a distant second with just 7%. Possibly more worryingly for Theresa May though is that even amongst the small group of the general public who see accepting the current Brexit deal as the best outcome, more people back the Brexit Party (34%) than the Conservatives (26%). Half of those who want an alternative deal (48%) say they plan to vote for Nigel Farage’s party, with the remainder of this group split across the other parties.

It's a vote of no confidence in the Conservatives or Labor to negotiate a Brexit.  The ignorant masses seem to understand that drawing a line in the sand is the only way to break the May-EU impasse.  I think this could be indicative of a larger voter base issue with respect to the next UK general election.

how this makes political conversation impossible

Now that's funny.
Let's start with the actual brexit referendum language:

Remain a member of the European Union

Leave the European Union

That's such incomplete bullshit.

Edited by relapse98

On 5/18/2019 at 7:08 AM, bernorange said:

I didn't quote the entire article associated with that poll, but there was another interesting takeaway:

It's a vote of no confidence in the Conservatives or Labor to negotiate a Brexit.  The ignorant masses seem to understand that drawing a line in the sand is the only way to break the May-EU impasse.  I think this could be indicative of a larger voter base issue with respect to the next UK general election.

The EU owes May exactly squat. And that's what she has to show for it.

They want a deal.

No deal.

Oh, you're sure about that?

Quite Certain. 

Oh. Well, we're fucked. 

Yep.

D7iDO3uX4AIsB0_.jpg

Yeah....read the rest of that thread. That’s a garbage correlation. Except for the Brexit party, none of those parties are 100% remain. And those numbers don’t even match the final vote tally? I really don’t know what validity any of that has at all.

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah....read the rest of that thread. That’s a garbage correlation. Except for the Brexit party, none of those parties are 100% remain. And those numbers don’t even match the final vote tally? I really don’t know what validity any of that has at all.

The numbers match the results that have been reported so far - just missing Scotland and North Ireland as I understand it:

chartoftheday_18168_uk_european_election

https://www.statista.com/chart/18168/uk-european-election-results-2019/

The categorization of votes for a particular party as meaning yes Brexit or No Brexit is, of course, a simplification of a complex issue, but the party positions are pretty clearly delineated:

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1132863051504467968/photo/1

The table referenced earlier is grouping "pro-Brexit" and "compromise-Brexit" together.  No matter how you choose to categorize them, the "anti-Brexit" parties only garnered ~40% of the vote (so far).

1 hour ago, bernorange said:

The numbers match the results that have been reported so far - just missing Scotland and North Ireland as I understand it:

The table referenced earlier is grouping "pro-Brexit" and "compromise-Brexit" together.  No matter how you choose to categorize them, the "anti-Brexit" parties only garnered ~40% of the vote (so far).

Very misleading to post this without including Scotland and Northern Ireland. Both were solidly in the Remain camp in 2016 and now. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-48417424

With 31 of the 32 Scottish council areas having declared their results, the SNP has 37.9% of the votes - up from 29% in the last EU election.

Nigel Farage's Brexit Party has the second most votes and will have one MEP, as will the Lib Dems and Tories.

Labour is fifth with just 9.3% of the votes - down from 26% in 2014.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-eu-election-nireland/northern-irish-party-surges-in-eu-poll-seeks-brexit-referendum-idUSKCN1SX1HF

Alliance leader Naomi Long took the second of three Northern Irish seats after campaigning for a second vote on Britain’s divorce from the European Union. 

The British province, which voted to remain in the EU in the 2016 referendum but whose largest party props up the minority government in London and is an advocate of Brexit, returned more candidates in favor of staying in the EU than for leaving.

Also, there is no such thing a "compromise Brexit". The EU is not going to negotiate, shit or get off the pot. 

There is strong support for Brexit, but it is clearly a minority opinion and it is misleading at best to declare otherwise.

Edited by suddenly shaggy
Why is it impossible to quote two sections without the second quote being placed inside the box for the first one?