2021 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

13 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

His Home/Road splits are bad. HOF at Coors, JAG on the road. I just don't see the Astros investing long term money at the position outside of Correa, because of Leon and Pena.

The Coors home/road split argument is a bad argument to make for not signing Story. Hitters struggle batting away from that ballpark while they play for the Rockies. 

7 hours ago, rvm96 said:

The Coors home/road split argument is a bad argument to make for not signing Story. Hitters struggle batting away from that ballpark while they play for the Rockies. 

I just don't see them sinking that much money into SS when Pena and Leon are both about ready to come up.  I think Taylor is about as high-end as they'll go and that might even be a pipe dream.  Hopefully though they use that money to get some high end pitching which is what this team truly lacks.

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Announce the playoff rosters already!

Red Sox is out.  They only swapped two RP.....Austin Davis and Matt Barnes(he replaced injured Richards in middle of series) out and Darwinzon Hernandez/Sawamura in 

Edited by Scraps

3 minutes ago, Jshep34 said:

Why would a player want to be in the dugout if they cant play? Thought it was standard practice to stay as far away as possible.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I think that is only if your name is Verlander

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Gourmand said:
HP: David Rackley^
1B: Bill Miller* -cc [Game 3 Plate]
2B: Laz Diaz [Game 4 Plate]
3B: Dan Iassogna* [Game 5 Plate]
LF: Jim Wolf [Game 6 Plate]
RF: Alan Porter [Game 7 Plate]
Reserve/Off: Rob Drake [Game 2 Plate]

ALCS Ump crew

No Joe West.  So you're telling me there's a chance

• Hook 'Em 3

47 minutes ago, WBT said:

We need to do some serious piggybacking from here on out with Javier, Greinke, and Odo.  Trying to throw Yimi, Maton, Stanek, and Emo an inning each every game isn't going to hold up.

This is why  I really think they should have added another multi-inning reliever. Who is realistically going to pitch 4+ innings in a start?  Framber?  Maybe Urquidy?  

5 minutes ago, Starfleet Command said:

This is why  I really think they should have added another multi-inning reliever. Who is realistically going to pitch 4+ innings in a start?  Framber?  Maybe Urquidy?  

Depends on the score and situation, but Garcia, Zack, Javier and Odo can go 4. 

No such thing as a "must win" this early in the series, but I think these two home games are pretty darn close.  Given the state of our pitching, we may need to be prepared to eat a game or two of the three in a row at Fenway.  

Or let's just fucking sweep.

Edited by Chuckie Finster

i think we have to recalibrate our expectations for our sp this series.  boston and houston are very similar.  there will be plenty of hitting, plenty of runs, and neither team has anything i would label a top-of-the-rotation ace.  if we can get guys to go 4-5 innings and give up 2-3 runs, then that's a game we're in.

the later innings will be big, and their bullpen does not scare me.  as i'm quite certain ours does not scare them.

i wish we had a couple more guys that could go between 1-3 innings.  someone like bielak or soloman might be like that.  and if someone throws fewer than 15 pitches and looks good, they may have to stretch.  as long as the lineup isn't turning over or they're getting blown up, why the hell not.

i don't think hinch went into the yankees series in 2017 thinking mccullers was getting a multi-inning save to win it, but here we are.  adapt or die.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

*I AM COOL WITH A SWEEP AND A HANDSHAKE LINE ON THEIR FIELD

the office rage GIF

*but a game 7 walk-off HR by Altuve or Correa to the Crawford Boxes, sec 102 row 3 seat 3 would be my ideal script.

I think you mean game 6 with the homer some how ricocheting in to section 234.

23 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

Framber, Urquidy, Garcia, Odorizzi

I think Garcia is gassed and hasn’t performed well since the summer. Urquidy and Odo throw strikes at a clip sufficient to work deep into a game but at least one of them is going to get lit up. The only thing I can say is that Odo pitched surprisingly well in September so hopefully that carries over. 

20 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

*I AM COOL WITH A SWEEP AND A HANDSHAKE LINE ON THEIR FIELD

the office rage GIF

*but a game 7 walk-off HR by Altuve or Correa to the Crawford Boxes, sec 102 row 3 seat 3 would be my ideal script.

I love ya, but I've had enough Game 7s for a lifetime.  The heart and nerves can only take so much.  I've aged 10 years in the past 5 or so thanks to the Stros.  Wouldn't change it cause those older years suck anyways.