Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting

Also anecdotal on my part, but I think the majority of iowa/iowa state fans would cheer for us against the other.  It's not a Texas/ou or Mich/osu level of hate but it's there.

One ISU fan I know realized that he was being charged something like 65 cents a month for the big 10 network on his cable package.  He called and said he would never watch it and please remove it.  When the cable company explained what a package was he started just sending in his monthly payment with .65 deducted and a little note.  Now that's a commitment level to college football rivalries I would not expect in the Midwest.  And if we ever played Iowa you can bet he'd be doing the hook' em.

• Hook 'Em 3

I have tons of Iowa friends, none of them care about TX and would root for anyone against ISU. They only get pissed off when I talk about the fact that their TE was an eligible receiver on that TD in the 2006 Alamo Bowl.

Not sure why this is a debate. We are hated by a lot of teams in the region/conference/nation and they want to destroy us in every sport. But we are not hated so much that other teams root against their own hated rivals. It just isn't the case in general.

Edited by Dr. Teeth
  • Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

@Al_4_ISU who would you root for?  Again, I don't know many grads of either school, but the ones that I do/did know, would root for their state school over Texas.  

I've rooted for Texas over Iowa in the past.  Might have been the Alamo Bowl  in like '06ish?  That was the height of my Hawkeye hating days.  I'm pretty neutral on Iowa these days, but would likely cheer for any Big 12 school (sans Baylor) against them just to keep them in their place a bit.

I probably have more animus towards KSU these days than Iowa.  I hate Nebraska more than anyone in college sports, but that was never competitive enough to be a rivalry.

I would imagine about 85% of ISU fans would root for Texas over Iowa, and say maybe 75% of Iowa fans would root for Texas over ISU, but I do know a few Iowa fans that really hate Texas for some odd reason.  I guess it's the equivalent of my disdain for Ohio State.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

I have tons of Iowa friends, none of them care about TX and would root for anyone against ISU. They only get pissed off when I talk about the fact that their TE was an eligible receiver on that TD in the 2006 Alamo Bowl.

Not sure why this is a debate. We are hated by a lot of teams in the region/conference/nation and they want to destroy us in every sport. But we are not hated so much that other teams root against their own hated rivals. It just isn't the case in general.

I have a couple of Hawkeye buddies that get really jazzed when ISU beats Texas.  I don't know if they're feigning being excited for me, but they seem to really dislike Texas despite Iowa playing them maybe once in our collective lifetimes.

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I have a couple of Hawkeye buddies that get really jazzed when ISU beats Texas.  I don't know if they're feigning being excited for me, but they seem to really dislike Texas despite Iowa playing them maybe once in our collective lifetimes.

Unfortunately, we've played them twice in my lifetime.  We will not speak of the first time, but bob stoops can eat a bowl of dicks.

13 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

How I feel about Iowa:

image.png.5f3b2a451493bd750669983821d36f29.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Teeth said:

You think that's bad. My Buckeye friend claims to this day that A) Limas Sweed didn't complete the process and secure the TD catch in '05 and B) Kirkendoll's forward progress didn't reach the 1st down marker on that 4th-down conversion during the final drive in '09.

Having said that, he would always root for us against Michigan in any type of sports matchup 10/10 times.

56 minutes ago, Machinator said:

33 minutes ago, Machinator said:

What's the story behind Agbo's original post?

Too lazy to look, was he one of the West Coast OL's we just offered?

Edited by BornOrange
Never mind, I looked. So one day after he reports the offer, he sends out a Hook em.

9 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

This is 100% real:

Ohio State 247 site on Ewers:
“Right after [Alabama won the national championship and Sarkisian was hired] they made a push,” a Texas-based source said. “[Texas] They was feeling confident they could get back in. But Quinn and his family shut that down right away. They told [Sarkisian], ‘Thanks, but no thanks’ they were sticking with Ohio State. Nothing they can do to change his mind. So [Texas] went to work on [5-star QB Malik] Murphy.”

Texas received a verbal commitment from 5-star Californian Malik Murphy on Saturday.

And we have since learned differing schematics among the Ohio State and Texas offensive approaches further strengthens the chance Ewers ultimately matriculates to Columbus.

“Sarkisian did some great, innovative things [at Alabama],” our source said. “But for Quinn, it’s not the best possible bit. Lots of bubble screens and receivers in motion to receive 5-yard dump offs. Quinn and his family believe [Ryan] Day is a better QB coach with an offense predicated on stretching the field. That fits what Quinn wants because it’ll get him more NFL ready.”

Solid reasoning, we’d say. 

File that under, shit pulled out of ass. If anything that smells of the angle that the OSU staff is pushing on Ewers and not what his family thinks.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

This is 100% real:

Ohio State 247 site on Ewers:
“Right after [Alabama won the national championship and Sarkisian was hired] they made a push,” a Texas-based source said. “[Texas] They was feeling confident they could get back in. But Quinn and his family shut that down right away. They told [Sarkisian], ‘Thanks, but no thanks’ they were sticking with Ohio State. Nothing they can do to change his mind. So [Texas] went to work on [5-star QB Malik] Murphy.”

Texas received a verbal commitment from 5-star Californian Malik Murphy on Saturday.

And we have since learned differing schematics among the Ohio State and Texas offensive approaches further strengthens the chance Ewers ultimately matriculates to Columbus.

“Sarkisian did some great, innovative things [at Alabama],” our source said. “But for Quinn, it’s not the best possible bit. Lots of bubble screens and receivers in motion to receive 5-yard dump offs. Quinn and his family believe [Ryan] Day is a better QB coach with an offense predicated on stretching the field. That fits what Quinn wants because it’ll get him more NFL ready.”

Solid reasoning, we’d say. 

any sites that track air yards stats for cfb? Easy to find for NFL, so just curious if the numbers support that narrative

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Lots of bubble screens and receivers in motion to receive 5-yard dump offs. 

Worked out OK for Tua and Mac Jones. Also worked out OK for OU's pair of midget transfers. 

That's the logic of a drunk, burning couch somewhere in the armpit of America.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Like 1

Sarkisian does not throw deep often. At all. "(re:Mac Jones) 379 pass attempts this year, just 53 traveled more than 20 yards downfield in the air."

Ohio State under Day does throw downfield a lot more than Sarkisian. I would sell that as well, if I was tOSU. Increased vertical passing has been a focus of evolving the offense at tOSU so that being part of their messaging to the QB recruits makes a ton of sense. I don't remember the exact statistic but I think the Buckeyes are up over the 20% mark for throws of 20 yards or more.

This is Ohio State recruiting with a clear and consistent message that is a differentiator. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Sarkisian does not throw deep often. At all. "(re:Mac Jones) 379 pass attempts this year, just 53 traveled more than 20 yards downfield in the air."

Ohio State under Day does throw downfield a lot more than Sarkisian. I would sell that as well, if I was tOSU. Increased vertical passing has been a focus of evolving the offense at tOSU so that being part of their messaging to the QB recruits makes a ton of sense. I don't remember the exact statistic but I think the Buckeyes are up over the 20% mark for throws of 20 yards or more.

This is Ohio State recruiting with a clear and consistent message that is a differentiator. 

How does this compare to the average NFL teams vertical passing? 

12 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Pretty sure it's also them telling OSU sites what they want to hear so they get left alone.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, Rimbo said:

"Something Mack brainwashed..." the fuck?

You do realize that Texas had a football team before Mack arrived, yes? And we were everyone's big game then, too. Even through the 80s and 90s, going all the way back to DKR. Beating us, even through our darkest years, was everyone's biggest game.

"This was the biggest win in Rice football." --1994, for example

So yes, the world did exist in the times before you became aware of Texas football, and we were everyone's big game then, too.

Wow, it's easy to see why other fanbases think we are so entitled. You completely misunderstood what I meant. Yes, football existed before Mack and yes, we were bog games for everyone when we won a lot of games. My point was that it's no longer the case. Texas doesn't intimidate anyone. Even Kansas think they can beat us if they put together a good game. Try stepping back from the coolaid and be objective. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 18

1 minute ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Wow, it's easy to see why other fanbases think we are so entitled. You completely misunderstood what I meant. Yes, football existed before Mack and yes, we were bog games for everyone when we won a lot of games. My point was that it's no longer the case. Texas doesn't intimidate anyone. Even Kansas think they can beat us if they put together a good game. Try stepping back from the coolaid and be objective. 

Different argument than whether it's a big game for them or not.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 5

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Different argument than whether it's a big game for them or not.

That maybe a fair point. I just don't think we have hard time beating teams because we are everyone's big game. We lose because we play down to competition, not because the other team played out of character to beat us. TCU or Iowa State didn't play any better against us than how they normally played.

Edited by ShowMeALoss

6 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Did you think that writing this was actually going to help your case?

And we weren't exactly a rolling ball of butcher knives during the late Akers, McWilliams, and Mackovic years, either. And STILL we were everyone's big game.

We were bad. Awful. We were happy to make a bowl back then. We didn't scare ANYBODY. Not even Rice. But beating us was still everyone's goal.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

You think that's bad. My Buckeye friend claims to this day that A) Limas Sweed didn't complete the process and secure the TD catch in '05 and B) Kirkendoll's forward progress didn't reach the 1st down marker on that 4th-down conversion during the final drive in '09.

Having said that, he would always root for us against Michigan in any type of sports matchup 10/10 times.

200.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Lol, this forum has become TexAgs. Either you drink the coolaid or you get negged. Euphoria is at its peak when there is a new coaching staff and the lowest after year 3. Rinse and repeat.

No, the issue is that you're making very stupid posts that aren't based in reality. And then you compound it by making more stupid posts trying to dig out of the hole.

Your latest example was saying that Iowa State did not play better against us than they normally do. This about a program which is now well-known for playing up against big opponents and then having letdowns against inferior opponents. (Barely beat shitass TCU and Baylor, beat us and Oklahoma and Oregon, etc.)

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

• closetojumping changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2022 - Idiotic Slapfights Unrelated To 2022 Recruiting