If you were going from Sacramento to Seattle what would you be sure to hit?

Royalfan5

Working on planning a October honeymoon and looking a different combinations for a PNW/California trip. Leading idea right now is flying to Sacramento, hoping a train up to Portland then going up to Seattle with stops a Mt’s Hood, Rainer, and Olympic National Park. Back up idea is driving the PCH from Oxnard north. I’m open to any suggest or advice you all might have 

I totally get the appeal of driving PCH from one end to the other. As someone who has done it in part or whole a few times in the last 10 years between LA and parts just north of SF, it can be a taxing, frustrating drive choked with traffic. You get behind some slow trucks or vehicles, and it really can spoil the experience.  The immediate area north of Jenner (contains some of the more hair-raising bits which are not at all fun if anyone in your car has any vertigo or fear of heights. Still, as much as I try to downplay the experience, I get it. I personally think that central coast area is amazing - Santa Barbara is what every really wants when the think of golden CA beaches and wine country (Buelton, Los Olivos), and the PCH area around Cambria is really nice. If you start from SoCal, I'd not bother with PCH and just figure out how to get to Cambria the most efficient way possible and start your journey there.

I've not driven it north of Mendocino, but am told that arguably the section from mid-Oregon to Eureka is very scenic (perhaps the nicest stretch of it all), and I wonder if you might get the best experience by focusing the driving bit to a smaller section with some overnight stays in small beach towns?

• Hook 'Em 1

If I was driving it,  I'd go from Sacramento up I-5 to about Corvalis, and then head west to the coast.

Drive to the border crossing in Astoria (Goonies never say die!) and keep on going North up and around the Olympic Pennisula (be sure to hit the Rain Forest and Hurricane Ridge).

Catch the Kingston Ferry (and wave when you get to Edmonds), and drive south through Seattle.

Going south from Seattle you can visit Rainier (Paradise is a good destination) and what's left of St. Helens (if you wish).

You can drive up the Columbia River if you wish, or go through Portland as you head towards Hood (Timberline Lodge).

From Hood, go through Bend and take 97 south... you could also head over to Crater Lake (gorgeous!)... 97 will connect with I-5 again just north of Mt. Shasta.

From there, straight shot to Sacramento.

That's a lot of driving, and I don't know what your timeline is... but it's a pretty good loop of the sights (including most of the dormant volcanos that are so distinctive here- you can see Baker on the Canadian border as you're on the ferry crossing, and you'll see Adams on the way south from Rainier).

Edited by NWBuck
  • Hook 'Em 4

^^^^ listen to this man he's pre-med. Seriously, don't get on i-5. It's boring from Oregon through Washington. It's not the biggest attraction, but you should walk on St. Johns Bridge in Portland if you go through here. It should be nice and clear, and you can see Mnt. Hood, Saint Helens, and a few that I can't think of the name of.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Txzen said:

I totally get the appeal of driving PCH from one end to the other. As someone who has done it in part or whole a few times in the last 10 years between LA and parts just north of SF, it can be a taxing, frustrating drive choked with traffic. You get behind some slow trucks or vehicles, and it really can spoil the experience.  The immediate area north of Jenner (contains some of the more hair-raising bits which are not at all fun if anyone in your car has any vertigo or fear of heights. Still, as much as I try to downplay the experience, I get it. I personally think that central coast area is amazing - Santa Barbara is what every really wants when the think of golden CA beaches and wine country (Buelton, Los Olivos), and the PCH area around Cambria is really nice. If you start from SoCal, I'd not bother with PCH and just figure out how to get to Cambria the most efficient way possible and start your journey there.

I've not driven it north of Mendocino, but am told that arguably the section from mid-Oregon to Eureka is very scenic (perhaps the nicest stretch of it all), and I wonder if you might get the best experience by focusing the driving bit to a smaller section with some overnight stays in small beach towns?

Ok don’t take this guys advice I’ll give you that....   is worried about passing people on the pch and hasn’t driven any of the section you actually asked about but has advice lol.   Also the midcoast Cali area is ok at best and a dessert compared to the rest. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Royalfan5 said:

Working on planning a October honeymoon and looking a different combinations for a PNW/California trip. Leading idea right now is flying to Sacramento, hoping a train up to Portland then going up to Seattle with stops a Mt’s Hood, Rainer, and Olympic National Park. Back up idea is driving the PCH from Oxnard north. I’m open to any suggest or advice you all might have 

You’ve had lots of solid suggestions already.

I’d add that you’re relatively close to Yosemite in Sacramento. If you or your bride haven’t seen Yosemite, it could be worth the slight detour. Tourists will be lighter that time of the year and the Ahwahnee Hotel is a magical place.

Crater Lake is a worthwhile detour as stated though at that elevation you could see October snow.  I don’t know what might be open for you in terms of lodging.The 33 mile rim drive circling the crater has lots of spots to get out and look, and if you want to stretch your legs, it’s a short jaunt down a trail to the shore. 

MOPOP museum in Seattle is cool too.

Another option would be to end in Vancouver/Victoria. It’s like a whole ‘nuther country up there!

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Ok don’t take this guys advice I’ll give you that....   is worried about passing people on the pch and hasn’t driven any of the section you actually asked about but has advice lol.   Also the midcoast Cali area is ok at best and a dessert compared to the rest. 

Can you try that again using complete sentences? He said his backup was driving PCH1 up from Oxnard. I was speaking to that. 

7 minutes ago, Txzen said:

Can you try that again using complete sentences? He said his backup was driving PCH1 up from Oxnard. I was speaking to that. 

Basically I said don’t waste your time starting in Oxnard cause it’s a waste of time.  The area from Santa Cruz north is much better then the central California section which is by far the worst section of the PCH. 

If you're comfortable taking a meandering trip north, I can suggest someplace not on many folks' radar -- Lassen Volcanic National Park.  It's like a mini Yellowstone, but without the crowds.  Incredible alpine meadows, and lots of cool thermal features  The drive there on 70 along the Feather River is cool as shit, and there are lots of places to stay near Lake Almanor -- there's also a really good italian restaurant on the NE side of the lake, if I recall correctly.  Had my 21st anniversary dinner there while we were on a family trip.
I'll post a coupla pics of Lassen in a few.

b9d96bc6e7d7c78c77801ac0037c43fe.jpg
9b2c20f000bf917f71c3bd4ea16f3084.jpg
cca36a6e5fc686b3223c6e2a0fe8b685.jpg
975bad25dc4a4d5daae84b0078bca99a.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

If you're comfortable taking a meandering trip north, I can suggest someplace not on many folks' radar -- Lassen Volcanic National Park.  It's like a mini Yellowstone, but without the crowds.  Incredible alpine meadows, and lots of cool thermal features  The drive there on 70 along the Feather River is cool as shit, and there are lots of places to stay near Lake Almanor -- there's also a really good italian restaurant on the NE side of the lake, if I recall correctly.  Had my 21st anniversary dinner there while we were on a family trip.
I'll post a coupla pics of Lassen in a few.

b9d96bc6e7d7c78c77801ac0037c43fe.jpg
9b2c20f000bf917f71c3bd4ea16f3084.jpg
cca36a6e5fc686b3223c6e2a0fe8b685.jpg
975bad25dc4a4d5daae84b0078bca99a.jpg

Lassen's great, but the OP's trip is in October.  By that time of year, they typically have a pretty fair amount of snow in the park, parts of the highway can be closed, and the walkways in the Bumpass Hell portion of the park are usually under snow by then.  I would advise hitting Lassen in late July or August if you want to have access to the entire park.  

Great pics, BTW.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, CycleTex87 said:

PCH / Big Sur?  Never been there myself, but is one of my bucket list items.

The Big Sur portion of PCH is quite a ways southwest of Sacramento, so it would be out of the way for OP.

But, yeah, you should definitely do that drive sometime.  Caltrans just opened up the portion of PCH south of Big Sur that had been closed for months due to a landslide.     

SF to Sea on 101 is a week trip with a strong daily pace. You won’t be anywhere more than part of a day.

Maybe give a little more on what you want to see/do?  What is your vibe?  There will be small towns and mom&pop shops galore in the towns that were built by the west coast timber/fishing industry from  SF to SEA.   If you want fine dining/luxury head south from SF.

On 4/27/2021 at 7:11 PM, Royalfan5 said:

The train ride from PDX to SEA is underrated and drops you right downtown in both cities(probably not a huge plus at the moment)

• Hook 'Em 1