Austin Super Regional Thread

Horndog

Two schools united by having to suffer through watching Charlie Strong coached teams.

But now, USF, we are enemies....I mean presuming you have fans somewhere out there who care about this series to be our enemies.

Edited by Valmy77

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

With the added "benefit" of losing to aggy on the regular.

That is some miserable shit.  While blOwU is our rival rival, losing to aggy is a horrible, very bad, no good experience.

Even winning fucking sucks. Every single game we’ve won, they got hosed or someone was injured or we paid off the refs or wait till next year. It’s been so nice not having that for almost 10 years now 

Edit: though I do miss ending their season every year in basketball and baseball. Step up your game, aggy and go back to being mediocre and come be our yearly 2-3 seed. 

Edited by Fletch

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

USF dogpiled.  They're doomed.

Only chance they'll get, so good for them.

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

They like to hide what side their hitters hit from, sneaky bastards.  

I'm guessing Pierce may find out between now and Friday, and that may effect our rotation. 

*affect

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

I will be surprised if Madden doesn't pitch the first game. Pierce and the team consider him our ace.

Yeah but man stevens is a complete game shutout waiting to happen right now. Give him the ball 

• Hook 'Em 3

https://d1baseball.com/columns/gainesville-south-florida-feeling-super-after-magical-ride/

Spoiler

Gainesville: South Florida Feeling Super After Magical Ride

COLUMNS Walter Villa - June 7, 2021

GAINESVILLE, Fla. – The Mobile Masher stomped on his hometown team, the South Alabama Jaguars.

Jarrett Eaton, a Mobile native who was never offered a scholarship by the Jaguars, was the singular star on Monday as his fourth-seeded South Florida Bulls rallied to defeat third-seeded South Alabama, 6-4, in the winner-take-all final of the Gainesville regional.

This is the first regional championship in Bulls baseball history, which goes back to 1966. The Bulls (30-27), who had a losing record as recently as 10 days ago after getting blown out by Tulane 16-6, will now play the host Texas Longhorns this weekend in a best-of-three super regional.

Meanwhile, after Eaton went 3-for-3 with three RBIs, one walk and one run scored on Monday, the assistant coach who recruited him out of a junior college delivered a perfectly timed in-jest comment to him just before he boarded the team bus.

“You know,” said recruiting coordinator Bo Durkac, “you’re never allowed back in Mobile ever again.”

Here’s what Eaton did to get “banned”, even though we’re sure that’s not the actual case:

USF was trailing 2-0 in the fourth when Eaton came through the first time. Before he got to the plate, Daniel Cantu singled and Jake Sullivan reached on an error by South Alabama third baseman Cameron Tissue. After a four-pitch walk to Matt Ruiz, Eaton pulled a two-run, ground-rule double down the right-field line.

Eaton hit a 2-2 pitch and was able to lay off a throw in the dirt that would’ve been a strikeout.

“Our coaches tell us to think small and let the big things happen,” said Eaton when asked about his thought process. “I got a slider up in the zone.”

The fact that Eaton’s double hopped over the fence likely kept USF from taking the lead, and the next batter, Nelson Rivera, struck out to end the threat.

“Jarrett would’ve cleared the bases,” said J.D. Eaton, who is Jarrett’s father, talking to this reporter while watching the game in the stands at Florida Park. “He would’ve had a triple. He has 4.4 speed from his days as a wide receiver (at St. Paul’s Episcopal in Alabama).”

The next time Eaton came up, he delivered again. Cantu started the rally by drawing a walk after falling behind 0-2 in the count. After advancing on a groundout, Cantu scored on Eaton’s RBI single to right.

“I got a fastball in,” Eaton said. “I stayed in my zone, and I put a good swing on it.”

That was just the second time South Alabama trailed in this regional. The first was its in its opener, a 1-0 loss to Miami.

USF extended its lead to 4-2 in the eighth. Roberto Pena hit a leadoff double, advanced to third on Cantu’s bunt and scored on Sullivan’s sac fly.

South Alabama cut its deficit to 4-3 in the bottom of the eighth as Santi Montiel started his third successful rally of the day. This time, he drew a leadoff walk. Although he was taken out on a force play, the Jaguars plated the run on Michael Sandle’s RBI single.

It was Sandle’s second RBI of the day and his sixth of this regional.

Two Bulls throwing errors in that inning – by shortstop Nick Gonzalez and first baseman Riley Hogan – gave the Jaguars life. Two wild pitches by reliever Orion Kerkering also hurt USF.

Bulls coach Billy Mohl pulled Kerkering – who had provided brilliant relief pitching – in favor of Joseph Sanchez.

Inheriting runners on the corners with one out, Sanchez got Andrew Bates on a pop fly and Tissue on a strikeout.

Sanchez charged off the mound, screaming with raw emotion.

“He threw that changeup perfectly,” USF catcher Sullivan said of the 2-2 pitch that doomed Tissue. “(Sanchez) deserved every bit of that yell.”

After that, USF’s offense added on in the ninth, and Eaton was involved yet again. He drew a leadoff walk and was headed to third on pinch-hitter Drew Brutcher’s single to right-center. But when Sandle bobbled the ball, Eaton turned on the jets and scored.

The Bulls’ rally continued with a Carmine Lane sac fly that allowed a diving Brutcher to get his fingertips on the plate just a split-second before catcher Richard Sorrenti applied the tag.

That gave the Bulls a 6-3 lead.

As for his first-to-home run, Eaton said this:

“I knew I was going first to third and then I saw (third-base coach Durkac) waving me in, and I never looked back.”

The same “never look back” message can be said for the Bulls, who allowed a solo homer by Montiel with two outs in the ninth, but the Jaguars never got the tying runner on in that final frame.

Sanchez got the final five outs for his first save of the season. Kerkering (5-3) allowed just two hits, two walks and one run, earning the victory.

But aside from Eaton, no Bulls batter had more than one hit in the championship game.

Eaton, a 5-9, 170-pound third-year sophomore, put up some monster numbers in high school, including the fact that he won three state titles as a football player. In baseball, he hit .378 or better all four years, stealing 110 bases.

As a senior, he hit 462 with 22 doubles, nine triples and 43 steals.

Eaton grew up just 10 minutes from South Alabama’s campus and went to many Jaguars baseball games, but he never got that desired offer.

“They talked to me a little bit when I was a sophomore,” Eaton said. “But that was it.”

As a junior, Auburn offered, and Eaton committed. But when he got into just 14 games during Auburn’s 2019 season that ended in the College World Series, Eaton transferred to Wallace Community College in Dothan, Alabama.

That’s where he was scouted by Durkac and another USF assistant, Alan Kunkel.

“We were looking for lefty hitting and speed,” Durkac said. “And (Eaton) had both of those things in one package.”

Even though he was a shortstop in high school and played second base in the fall, Eaton won the starting job in left field to open this season. But a knee injury on the first Sunday of the season cost him a month of action.

Eaton may not have gotten back into the starting lineup if not for a broken collarbone suffered by his replacement, Joaquin Monque, who doubles as a catcher.

“Jarrett started hitting,” Durkac said of Eaton’s return to the lineup, “and he hasn’t stopped.”

Eaton’s story is South Florida’s story in a way. Eaton was shunned in. his hometown. South Florida was disregarded nationally and even in its home state, where the Bulls usually take a backseat to the Florida Gators, Miami Hurricanes and Florida State Seminoles.

But not now.

The Bulls are the only team in the state still standing, and they helped end the seasons of the Gators – who never led for a single inning in this regional – and the Hurricanes.

Sullivan, who was named the MVP of this regional after going 4-for-11 with two RBIs, said the Bulls aren’t intimidated by anyone.

“I’m the kind of guy who when I say something, I mean it, and I said before this regional that we can compete with anyone in the country,” Sullivan said. “And we ain’t done yet.”

The Jaguars, who finished the season 34-22 and one win short of what would’ve been their first regional championship, had several players post impressive performances.

Sandle was the tournament’s top center fielder, going 8-for-19 with two homers, one triple, one double and six RBIs.

Montiel was the top shortstop, scoring seven runs and driving in six. He went 5-for-14 with three walks, two doubles and two homers.

Left fielder Ethan Wilson, a projected first-round pick, went 6-for-19. He was held to two RBIs, but he made perhaps the play of the regional in Monday’s third inning, stealing what would’ve been a two-run homer by Gonzalez. Wilson put his left cleat on the fence and used that to get his elbow over the barrier, making a sensational grab.

In the end, the Jaguars finished one win short of winning a regional – the eighth time that has happened to South Alabama.

Still, it was a memorable year.

“This is the most fun I’ve had in my life,” Wilson said. “I’m really going to miss this group of guys. They’ll forever be my brothers.”

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bulls/2021/06/07/usf-baseball-team-headed-to-first-ncaa-super-regional/

Spoiler

USF baseball team headed to first NCAA super regional

The Bulls now face Texas in a best-of-three series with a College World Series berth at stake.

Listen
01:48

USF's players celebrate following their 6-4 win Monday against South Alabama in the final game of the NCAA tournament's Gainesville Regional. USF is headed to the best-of-three super regional in Austin, Texas, where a College World Series berth will be at stake.USF's players celebrate following their 6-4 win Monday against South Alabama in the final game of the NCAA tournament's Gainesville Regional. USF is headed to the best-of-three super regional in Austin, Texas, where a College World Series berth will be at stake. [ STEPHEN GALVIN | USF ]

Published 4 hours ago
Updated 3 hours ago

The USF baseball team’s improbable late-season run now has transitioned from surreal to super.

Facing South Alabama in a weather-delayed, winner-take-all showdown Monday for the NCAA tournament’s Gainesville regional title, the Bulls (31-28) got a career game from redshirt sophomore Jarrett Eaton and a sparkling extended relief effort from closer Orion Kerkering in a 6-4 victory at Florida Ballpark.

USF, winner of nine of its last 11 and 14 of its last 20, faces Texas (45-15) in this weekend’s best-of-three super regional in Austin. The winner reaches the College World Series.

The Bulls never have reached a super regional, much less the CWS, in 13 previous NCAA tournament trips.

“Throughout the year, we weren’t firing on all three cylinders,” said catcher Jake Sullivan, a Durant High alumnus whose team had to win last week’s American Athletic Conference tournament to reach the NCAAs.

“We hit good, we weren’t pitching well. If we were pitching well, we weren’t hitting good or we’re not playing good defense. And these past two weeks, we’ve been firing on all three cylinders, playing the game the right way.”

Monday afternoon’s decisive game, delayed nearly two hours by rain, was set up by the Jaguars’ 4-0 triumph in a game that began Sunday evening but wasn’t completed until Monday due to a Sunday night storm front. That gave both teams one loss in the double-elimination event, setting up the rematch.

“We’ve got a group in that locker room that believes in each other,” said Bulls fourth-year coach Billy Mohl, whose team was 18-22 only a month earlier. “And with all the rain delays and everything else, there was no quit in them.”

In the winner-take-all contest, the Jaguars took a 2-0 lead before USF tied the score in the fourth. The Bulls loaded the bases via a single, error and walk — all with two outs — before Eaton’s hit to deep right bounced over the fence for a two-run ground-rule double.

Eaton, who hails from Mobile (home to South Alabama), added a two-out RBI-single in the sixth. Sullivan provided an insurance run with an eighth-inning sacrifice fly to center, scoring Roberto Pena.

Eaton’s average in American Athletic Conference regular season play: .196.

“I keep thinking about Memphis where he didn’t play a whole lot (in early May), and that wasn’t that long ago,” Mohl said. “And down the stretch, he’s been unbelievable.”

The Bulls further cushioned the lead in the ninth when Eaton (3-for-3) walked and scored after pinch-hitter Drew Brutcher’s single to center was misplayed. Carmine Lane’s sacrifice fly provided the final run.

Kerkering worked 4⅓ innings, retiring the first 11 batters he faced and striking out four in a row at one point.

“Man, he was on fire,” Mohl said. “He came out just filling up the strike zone. The ultimate competitor, had his good stuff working today. Obviously he ran out of gas, but that kid will leave nothing in the tank.”

Kerkering exited after issuing a leadoff walk in the eighth and an RBI-single two batters later. Left-hander Joey Sanchez worked the final 1⅓ innings, his only blemish a solo home run in the ninth.

“This is a special group of guys,” Mohl said. “They’ll forever be known as the first team to get to a super regional. But as they’ll tell you, they’re not done yet.”

Contact Joey Knight at jknight@tampabay.com. Follow @TBTimes_Bulls.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, WBT said:

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/bulls/2021/06/07/usf-baseball-team-headed-to-first-ncaa-super-regional/

Hide contents

USF's players celebrate following their 6-4 win Monday against South Alabama in the final game of the NCAA tournament's Gainesville Regional. USF is headed to the best-of-three super regional in Austin, Texas, where a College World Series berth will be at stake.USF's players celebrate following their 6-4 win Monday against South Alabama in the final game of the NCAA tournament's Gainesville Regional. USF is headed to the best-of-three super regional in Austin, Texas, where a College World Series berth will be at stake. [ STEPHEN GALVIN | USF ]

USF's players celebrate following their 6-4 win Monday against South Alabama in the final game of the NCAA tournament's Gainesville Regional. USF is headed to the best-of-three super regional in Austin, Texas, where a College World Series berth will be at stake.

That's some kiss of death shit right there, for sure.  Hook 'em!

Edited by DalTxHornFan
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

Even winning fucking sucks. Every single game we’ve won, they got hosed or someone was injured or we paid off the refs or wait till next year. It’s been so nice not having that for almost 10 years now 

Edit: though I do miss ending their season every year in basketball and baseball. Step up your game, aggy and go back to being mediocre and come be our yearly 2-3 seed. 

Fuck that. Beating them was awesome, as was drinking their crybaby tears after. I know it’s not cool to say/admit on here, but I miss it.

14 minutes ago, WBT said:

Hide contents

USF baseball team headed to first NCAA super regional

The Bulls now face Texas in a best-of-three series with a College World Series berth at stake.

Listen
01:48

Published 4 hours ago
Updated 3 hours ago

The USF baseball team’s improbable late-season run now has transitioned from surreal to super.

Facing South Alabama in a weather-delayed, winner-take-all showdown Monday for the NCAA tournament’s Gainesville regional title, the Bulls (31-28) got a career game from redshirt sophomore Jarrett Eaton and a sparkling extended relief effort from closer Orion Kerkering in a 6-4 victory at Florida Ballpark.

USF, winner of nine of its last 11 and 14 of its last 20, faces Texas (45-15) in this weekend’s best-of-three super regional in Austin. The winner reaches the College World Series.

The Bulls never have reached a super regional, much less the CWS, in 13 previous NCAA tournament trips.

“Throughout the year, we weren’t firing on all three cylinders,” said catcher Jake Sullivan, a Durant High alumnus whose team had to win last week’s American Athletic Conference tournament to reach the NCAAs.

“We hit good, we weren’t pitching well. If we were pitching well, we weren’t hitting good or we’re not playing good defense. And these past two weeks, we’ve been firing on all three cylinders, playing the game the right way.”

Monday afternoon’s decisive game, delayed nearly two hours by rain, was set up by the Jaguars’ 4-0 triumph in a game that began Sunday evening but wasn’t completed until Monday due to a Sunday night storm front. That gave both teams one loss in the double-elimination event, setting up the rematch.

“We’ve got a group in that locker room that believes in each other,” said Bulls fourth-year coach Billy Mohl, whose team was 18-22 only a month earlier. “And with all the rain delays and everything else, there was no quit in them.”

In the winner-take-all contest, the Jaguars took a 2-0 lead before USF tied the score in the fourth. The Bulls loaded the bases via a single, error and walk — all with two outs — before Eaton’s hit to deep right bounced over the fence for a two-run ground-rule double.

Eaton, who hails from Mobile (home to South Alabama), added a two-out RBI-single in the sixth. Sullivan provided an insurance run with an eighth-inning sacrifice fly to center, scoring Roberto Pena.

Eaton’s average in American Athletic Conference regular season play: .196.

“I keep thinking about Memphis where he didn’t play a whole lot (in early May), and that wasn’t that long ago,” Mohl said. “And down the stretch, he’s been unbelievable.”

The Bulls further cushioned the lead in the ninth when Eaton (3-for-3) walked and scored after pinch-hitter Drew Brutcher’s single to center was misplayed. Carmine Lane’s sacrifice fly provided the final run.

Kerkering worked 4⅓ innings, retiring the first 11 batters he faced and striking out four in a row at one point.

“Man, he was on fire,” Mohl said. “He came out just filling up the strike zone. The ultimate competitor, had his good stuff working today. Obviously he ran out of gas, but that kid will leave nothing in the tank.”

Kerkering exited after issuing a leadoff walk in the eighth and an RBI-single two batters later. Left-hander Joey Sanchez worked the final 1⅓ innings, his only blemish a solo home run in the ninth.

“This is a special group of guys,” Mohl said. “They’ll forever be known as the first team to get to a super regional. But as they’ll tell you, they’re not done yet.”

Contact Joey Knight at jknight@tampabay.com. Follow @TBTimes_Bulls.

Hahahahhahah at the last sentence. And are y’all gonna horns down? Or horns up? Y’all beat the biggest chokers in the world. We’re Texas. Bring it. 

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

Fuck that. Beating them was awesome, as was drinking their crybaby tears after. I know it’s not cool to say/admit on here, but I miss it.

It was awesome for about an hour after the game. Then it was back waking giant, wait till next year shit. Fucking hated it. There’s no point, but having Arkansas back as our 2nd rival would be fun. They’re fucking nuts and stupid but in the tech way, not aggy 

• Hook 'Em 2

Guest Lobo

Whoah, starting on Saturday and two night games in primetime...did not see that coming.  I guess our brand carries more weight than I thought.  Nice problem to have.  Except I really hope ESPN can keep this shit on time, ESPNU in particular has a habit of bumping games down and down for non-weather.  8:00p Saturday, 8:00p Sunday.  I'm guessing if it came down to it, Monday would be at 3:00p particularly if Tennessee/LSU  and/or MSU/Notre Dame go to a game 3---they'd get the 6:00p spot I'm sure.  

Edited by Lobo

8 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Not to jinx anything but I believe the last time a 4 seed made the CWS was in 2012. 

It's very rare. Most the time 4 seeds are 4 seeds for a reason. They can put one weekend together but that's about it. 

Coastal Carolina won the national title as a four seed in 2016.

• Hook 'Em 1

Starting Saturday is probably because this ODU shitshow is on our side of the bracket. I haven't seen the full schedule yet but I think they put each side of the CWS bracket on the same Fri Sat Sun or Sat Sun Mon.

Fuck Monday. Let's not make Monday necessary. 

25 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Coastal Carolina won the national title as a four seed in 2016.

I believe you're thinking of the other Cinderella run when Fresno State won the title. They were a 4 seed.

Dammit, beaten. Need to limber up the typing fingers this morning I guess.

Edited by Huckleberry

35 minutes ago, TornACL said:

It was Fresno State who won as a 4.

Fresno also won their conference title, their conference tourney, and had several players selected in the MLB draft. They had no business being seeded as a 4 that year. They were an extreme example of the NCAA's selection committee's bias against west coast programs IMHO.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

USF's players celebrate following their 6-4 win Monday against South Alabama in the final game of the NCAA tournament's Gainesville Regional. USF is headed to the best-of-three super regional in Austin, Texas, where a College World Series berth will be at stake.

That's some kiss of death shit right there, for sure.  Hook 'em!

I’d lose my breath and have a heart attack.  Anxiety and heart palpitations just thinking about being at the bottom of one of those.

45 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I believe you're thinking of the other Cinderella run when Fresno State won the title. They were a 4 seed.

Dammit, beaten. Need to limber up the typing fingers this morning I guess.

This is correct. 

I believe only 2 four seeds have advanced to the CWS since ‘99 when it expanded to 64 teams. 

9 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

It's not all that shocking but still cool to see. Texas now has the top team ERA in the country. 

The only team with a sub 3 ERA. 

Pierce has been nails at developing pitchers during his time here

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I loved that team.  Probably the most enjoyable no-Texas CWS evar.

That was also the year the Big 12 only got 3 teams in the tournament and all 3 made Omaha.  Meanwhile the SECSECSEC had 4 top 8 national seeds, 7 total regional hosts, and 1 team in Omaha.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, WBT said:

That was also the year the Big 12 only got 3 teams in the tournament and all 3 made Omaha.  Meanwhile the SECSECSEC had 4 top 8 national seeds, 7 total regional hosts, and 1 team in Omaha.

which brings up the question of how many SEC in Omaha this year.  The one obvious one, and then I am thinking just one more.  Can't figure out if it will be Arky or Vandy, but I think one of those two is getting beaten this weekend. 

Would be really cool to see three teams from Texas and only two from SEC in Omaha. 

Guest Lobo

I’m guessing since they staggered the days based On entire sides of the bracket that they’ll keep that format for Omaha.  Whole left side/Friday supers will start Omaha on Saturday.  While right side (our side)/Saturday supers will begin Omaha on Sunday. 

safe bet DBU/ODU game would be 1:00p and Texas v. MSU/UND winner at 6:00p on Sunday evening in Omaha.  Gotta beat USF first, but I know some of y’all are already making travel plans.  

8 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

which brings up the question of how many SEC in Omaha this year.  The one obvious one, and then I am thinking just one more.  Can't figure out if it will be Arky or Vandy, but I think one of those two is getting beaten this weekend. 

Would be really cool to see three teams from Texas and only two from SEC in Omaha. 

Four of them are hosting super regionals - Pig, Miss St, Vandy and Vols. Vols play LSU so SEC guaranteed one spot no matter what. Ole Miss has to go to Tucson. I think they get quite a few in - the SEC was legitimately deep this year. 

4 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

I don't care about the hook 'em thing.  I'm more worried that they couldn't find a photo of college students who weren't moving appliances around campus.

They're prepping for their future careers, man. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Guest Lobo
5 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

I don't care about the hook 'em thing.  I'm more worried that they couldn't find a photo of college students who weren't moving appliances around campus.

Ur Secure Furniture moving company?

It’s no UofF, but it’s a solid public school.   A cut above most other Florida publics anyway.  Was a commuter school when I lived up I-4, but now has a decent campus and rising athletics.  

Kudos to them for knocking off Florida and Miami and making it this far.  But before we start making Cinderella profile clips with the coaches and captains for weekend use on ESPN, just stop and accept your fate.  

Abandon all hope, ye who enter the Disch.