Austin Super Regional Thread

Horndog

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

This game is unfortunately zipping right on by. Winner should be plenty rested coming in. 

Not sure an extra 30 to an hour was gonna make THAT big of a difference. It’ll be over first pitch just like the regionals 

Guest Lobo
4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I agree. But some people were wondering if we might have a fatigue advantage. 

Maybe if they had to bring back a weekend starter to go multiple innings today, that would have been the only fatigue factor---that one guy would be a bit "off" having to go again in just four days, or they'd push him to saturday or Sunday which could/would still effect the mojo of their overall weekend rotation in Supers.  But just that, all in all---either squad USA/USF---is gonna be good to go on Friday.  Problem is you can rest their lineup another month, they're not gonna be able to hit Texas pitching effectively.  

28 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yes because football had never ever been down for long periods of time before 2009? Please.

And giving us shit for a lack of post-season success when we have 36 appearance in the CWS? Does Football have 36 top 8 finishes since 1948? I fucking wish.

Baseball was our salvation in the 80s and early 90s, for sure.  Basketball was just attracting a following back then under Penders.

Guest Lobo
1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Baseball was our salvation in the 80s and early 90s, for sure.  Basketball was just attracting a following back then under Penders.

Good point.  Once things went south on us in 1984 to 1999 (with the 90 & 95/96 bright spots peppered in that decade and a half) , all baseball did was  go to Omaha 7 times.  

I guess that's about the time though that basketball went from kinda big to really big at UT with Tournament Tom.  Our sense of success in football has been so incredibly over-inflated for the past 35 years, it's almost embarrassing.  Meanwhile, with a few low points of inconsistency in recent memory......baseball continues to be among the most elite of elite programs in the nation decade after decade.  

9 minutes ago, Lobo said:

We've made it twice in Pearce's 4 full seasons so thankfully we haven't teetered on that.  But if he were to go 6-7 seasons without a Supers appearance, that would certainly be the end of his tenure here.  Then again, Shaka made it six seasons here without a single NCAA tournament victory so anything's possible.  

Augie went 3 years without a super twice, 1997-1999 and 2006-2008

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

Our sense of success in football has been so incredibly over-inflated for the past 35 years, it's almost embarrassing.  Meanwhile, with a few low points of inconsistency in recent memory......baseball continues to be among the most elite of elite programs in the nation decade after decade.  

Yes. I meant if you looked at each program's history up until 2009. Not through 2021.

I might also argue it's easier to sustain success in baseball. 

2 minutes ago, chase25 said:

Augie was following Cliff and probably wasn't expected to be as good right off the bat. And the 2006-2008 stretch - who cares. He had 2 national titles in the previous 4 seasons before that. Different scenario. 

Whoever the next guy is will be following Cliff and Augie and hopefully Pierce. His leash will be extremely tight because we know that basically anyone can win here and everyone has.

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Augie was following Cliff and probably wasn't expected to be as good right off the bat. And the 2006-2008 stretch - who cares. He had 2 national titles in the previous 4 seasons before that. Different scenario. 

Whoever the next guy is will be following Cliff and Augie and hopefully Pierce. His leash will be extremely tight because we know that basically anyone can win here and everyone has.

Yeah and people were pissed. Imagine that. Texas fans overreacting to a coach. We all know the rest 

Guest Lobo
16 minutes ago, chase25 said:

1990's were just not that great for UT baseball.  2 Omaha appearances for us overall in the whole decade, the fewest since they invented the damn thing.  Including two abysmal seasons in 97 and 98.  2006-08, I think was just a blip in an otherwise dominating decade.  I don't even really think about that gap in success unless I see it on paper.  2012-17 (aside from the 2014 CWS appearance) still sticks out like a sore thumb, but we're just about done overcoming whatever negativity that presented with recruits.  But RIP, as always, Coach Garrido.  The best there ever was.  

Pierce was on his way to a great season last year and this year is shaping up quite nicely.  Like anyone else, I was really down on him in 2019...but never wanted him fired.  He's gonna have a great 20-year run here at Texas when it's all said and done.   

Edited by Lobo

15 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Well Augie (3) had more national titles than Cliff (2) when he took the job. Just saying even the great ones will have lulls (not arguing by the way we all agree). 

The game has totally changed as well, the money to be made in the draft, the amount of programs investing in baseball, the 11.7 hard cap Texas and other public institutions has, makes it way harder for Pierce to win than Augie or Cliff. 

Texas and LSU are easily the two hardest jobs in the country

Edited by chase25
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, chase25 said:

Well Augie (3) had more national titles than Cliff (2) when he took the job. Just saying even the great ones will have lulls (not arguing by the way we all agree). 

Dude fuck you. Seriously!?!? This is one of the dumbest fucking things I’ve ever read. Why post this just to argue? 

(please tell me sarcasm isn’t lost on y’all yet)

2 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

The big thing is find a way to win that opener with Jasiak on the mound. 

Texas is going to have a huge advantage in game 2 and 3 from a starting pitching perspective. South Florida almost has to win that opener. 

USF's line up doesn't scare me much. Madden should be able to handle them. We'll see.

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

I mean it is going to be several days. I don't think we are going to get much of an advantage for them having played one extra regional game than we did.

Ahem, I was making fun of the others asking the question. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Guest Lobo

Their  2-3-4 guys in Sullivan-Burns-Lord aren't bad.  They just haven't thrown against great competition.  the bullpen duo is Lyle and Orion.  They pitch to strikeouts and pop-ups, two of our achilles heal.  But yeah, probably a tight game on Friday but we skull-fuck overall and sweep.

Guest Lobo

They like to hide what side their hitters hit from, sneaky bastards.  

I'm guessing Pierce may find out between now and Friday, and that may effect our rotation. 

Their staff is better than I thought based on scouting and stats.  Their lineup is overrated.  Don't let the three guys with double-digit HR's stand out.  Three righties in a home stadium that's 325 down the line and 365 LF power alley.  Not bad, but not impressive.  

17 minutes ago, Lobo said:

They like to hide what side their hitters hit from, sneaky bastards.  

I'm guessing Pierce may find out between now and Friday, and that may effect our rotation. 

Their staff is better than I thought based on scouting and stats.  Their lineup is overrated.  Don't let the three guys with double-digit HR's stand out.  Three righties in a home stadium that's 325 down the line and 365 LF power alley.  Not bad, but not impressive.  

Their starting rotation isn't that great after Jasiak. 

Sullivan has a 3.69 ERA but couldn't get deep against any of the decent teams he pitched against (3.1 innings vs Tech and 4 innings vs Miami). Lord has a 4.90 ERA.  

Both their Saturday and Sunday guys are probably going to be a 3 or 4 inning type ordeal where they use their better bullpen arms. 

Edited by texasstrong12

Guest Lobo

Yeah, I think we'll see Jasiak on Friday for 5-6 innings then their best bullpen guys with the hope they can stay competitive in game one.  

they've got one, 1, UNO, left-hander that has ever gone more than one inning on their entire staff.  And he's pretty good---Logan Lyle.  He's pitched on consecutive days, but only a couple times and for very briefly.  Their staff is underrated and competitive, and pitches to strikeouts and pop-ups.  No reason though our staff shouldn't keep their lineup to 3 runs or less each day.  I just don't see how this thing goes 3 games, their pedestrian lineup would have to be red-hot up and down while Jasaik was holding us to 2-3 runs.  NOt impossible though.

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

It was 21 to 33 in 2009. And we could easily have 6 or 7 titles in football. I think 2010 was our worst football decade ever - or at least since WW2. Football has had down stretches but never more than 5 or 6 years at a time. 

1985-1994 was not a down period?

3 minutes ago, cochamps said:

1985-1994 was not a down period?

With the added "benefit" of losing to aggy on the regular.

That is some miserable shit.  While blOwU is our rival rival, losing to aggy is a horrible, very bad, no good experience.

• Hook 'Em 2