Jump to content

College basketball coaching carousel


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

Man, I just totally disagree with that.  I mean, they can be pissed off in general, but personally attacking the guy who took the program from also-ran to consistent contender... because he went home to his alma mater? 

I mean, it's not like he was drawing a top-5-in-the-country type salary while going half a decade without a single tourney win.  Or despite a roster peppered with NBA-level talent, he lost to a tiny private college that almost no one outside the state has ever heard of.  

At least he returned to Lubbock and went through the regular motions of that type of move. We hate Brad Underwood because he lost our first round tourney game after a late tip-off and by 8am the next day he was announced as the new coach at Illinois. He was obviously negotiating when he should have been preparing the team for the tournament. He also apparently refused to even speak with our AD in person about outside offers and never told the team he was leaving. The timing was weird too and he may have not even returned to Stillwater with the team since he was on stage in Champaign the next morning. That is an absolutely scumbag shit move regardless of where he went.

Edited by 'stache
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2021 at 10:57 PM, planoraider11 said:

Tech fans have every right to be angry/"hate him" 

Tech fans have every right to be disappointed. They do not have the right to be angry with him or have the venerable sports hate for him. He took a job he wanted. He likely wanted it for a long time. Is it really worth spending even five minutes being mad that a coach left a job? A coach who likely does not care that you are angry and will never cross paths with you? It’s just a game. Basketball is a fun game and one I have enjoyed a lot since I was a little kid, but if I were to get mad in a similar fashion I might want re-evaluate where I am at in life.

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 'stache said:

At least he returned to Lubbock and went through the regular motions of that type of move. We hate Brad Underwood because he lost our first round tourney game after a late tip-off and by 8am the next day he was announced as the new coach at Illinois. He was obviously negotiating when he should have been preparing the team for the tournament. He also apparently refused to even speak with our AD in person about outside offers and never told the team he was leaving. The timing was weird too and he may have not even returned to Stillwater with the team since he was on stage in Champaign the next morning. That is an absolutely scumbag shit move regardless of where he went.

That whole Underwood exit was so strange. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

As an Illinois fan, I don't disagree with any of the posts about Coach Underwear leaving. I won't be at all surprised if he someday does a similar thing to us. But that's coaching.

Almost all Illini fans hate Bill Self for going to KU, but A., it's fucking Kansas, and B., our AD at the time was a mentally challenged dipshit with a perpetual chip on his shoulder, and he basically nailed the door shut while Self wasn't even definitely through it yet. I don't begrudge Self one bit - we're not Kansas (and I'm not trying to suggest that we are Kansas relative to OSU - just saying that I get what it feels like to be dumped like this...) 

It took our fanbase by as much surprise as it did yours - Underwear wasn't on anyone's radar or short lists. I remember hearing some credible-seeming rumor in the aftermath (and forgive me for forgetting the details) that he was basically furious with the OSU AD over some kind of disrespect or something - like not even willing to talk to him if he didn't absolutely have to. I think it had to do with some refusal to discuss a contract extension, or raises for his assistants or something unless he jumped through a bunch of hoops. Anyway, the rumor was that he had let his discontent be known to his agent immediately on the heels of whatever the insulting development was, and his agent and the Illinois AD had it lined up well in advance. 

Doesn't take the sting or the stink out of it for OSU fans, but it's my understanding that it was in place for a surprisingly long time, not the week/day before what turned out to be his final game. In case that makes any difference to anyone...

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

Man, I just totally disagree with that.  I mean, they can be pissed off in general, but personally attacking the guy who took the program from also-ran to consistent contender... because he went home to his alma mater? 

I can promise you there will be some vile shit said about Beard on this very board if he has the same level of success here that he did at Tech, and then bolts to a blue blood. Its what all fan bases do, don't kid yourself that our fans would act any different. The only reason we were so civil regarding Shaka is everyone wanted his ass out of here, and he did us a solid. 

  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

This might impact the Beard hire, Satya probably.

Always Sunny Fx GIF
 

If Arizona hires Muss, Arkansas hires Pastner, Georgia Tech hires Adams, Beard goes back to Tech. Royal Ivey feels spurned and we’re left with a hologram of Lute Olson pacing the sideline.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

Always Sunny Fx GIF
 

If Arizona hires Muss, Arkansas hires Pastner, Georgia Tech hires Adams, Beard goes back to Tech. Royal Ivey feels spurned and we’re left with a hologram of Lute Olson pacing the sideline.

If holograms are fair game, I vote we get ourselves a Barnes hologram and schedule Tennessee. Neither team will score over the closing 12 minutes as both Ricks simply stare across half court at each other like this.

10.gif

Unfortunately, Derka might nut himself into an aneurysm.

Edited by Blotto
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I can promise you there will be some vile shit said about Beard on this very board if he has the same level of success here that he did at Tech, and then bolts to a blue blood. Its what all fan bases do, don't kid yourself that our fans would act any different. The only reason we were so civil regarding Shaka is everyone wanted his ass out of here, and he did us a solid. 

 

thank you.gif

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Same. UTEP seems like a not great job

Well, Terry was making like $750k+ at UTEP. Can't find Golding's Abilene contract numbers anywhere, but his reported bonus for making the tourney was $1,000. Gotta think UTEP at least doubled if not tripled his pay.

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Well, Terry was making like $750k+ at UTEP. Can't find Golding's Abilene contract numbers anywhere, but his reported bonus for making the tourney was $1,000. Gotta think UTEP at least doubled if not tripled his pay.

 

I saw it as 200k, huge salary bump, plus getting the fuck out of Abilene is always a bonus, even if El Paso isn't the nicest spot

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m pretty surprised Golding left ACU for UTEP. Personally I would rather be in Abilene, due to recruiting proximity if nothing else. But mainly I’m surprised ACU didn’t pony up the cash to keep him. They actually have more money than UTEP. I could have seen them achieving Wichita State type success if they would have kept him. Now they are gonna suck and waste any value they got out of the recent tourney win.

Oh well. Screw them. Horns down karma bit them in the ass.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2021 at 8:04 AM, HookEm said:

I’m pretty surprised Golding left ACU for UTEP. Personally I would rather be in Abilene, due to recruiting proximity if nothing else. But mainly I’m surprised ACU didn’t pony up the cash to keep him. They actually have more money than UTEP. I could have seen them achieving Wichita State type success if they would have kept him. Now they are gonna suck and waste any value they got out of the recent tourney win.

Oh well. Screw them. Horns down karma bit them in the ass.

The difference is WSU is the biggest small school in the state. Abilene is one of a million small schools in the state that you have to compete with. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2021 at 12:50 AM, Machinator said:

 

This is how you moneywhip someone. Didn’t work out but this is the way and the cost for all you guys who think UT should do that for every possible coaching position available. 
 

Hell of a turndown by Stevens. I know he’s got a lot of leash in Boston but if they couldn’t get to the finals a few years ago and can’t finish better than second in the Atlantic going forward then he’s going to have a hot seat in the next 2-3 years. I’m not sure what the Celtics pay him but I hope it’s close to 10M. Doc rivers might put him out of a job... then get fired for losing when you 3-1 in 3 straight years, then take stevens’ job.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Jhawk said:

The difference is WSU is the biggest small school in the state. Abilene is one of a million small schools in the state that you have to compete with. 

That's fair, but there is also a LOT more talent in Texas than there is in Kansas.  Within a 3-3.5 hour drive of Abilene you have DFW (7.5M), Austin (2.2M), San Antonio (2.5M), Lubbock (315K), Midland Odessa (250K), Waco (135K) plus all the small towns in between.  Probably close to 15M people.

The same distance from WSU you have Kansas City (2.1M), OKC (1.4M), Tulsa (1M).  Maybe 7-8M people.  

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

for Golding he was looking at having to keep winning at ACU to get a job anywhere better than UTEP now and there are a lot of major factors involved in that

ACU moving to the WAC so he is recruiting to something entirely different now

Stephen F. Austin and Sam Houston both have much better BB histories than ACU and probably equal resources by the fact of being larger and public

then you have NMSU that is pretty good lately and will probably dominate that conference.....so you can recruit against and play against NMSU at a smaller private school playing in a new far away stretched out western conference or you can recruit against them at UTEP (also playing in a far away stretched out eastern conference, but one that just went to divisions this past season)

and Grand Canyon has Brice Drew that can damn sure coach even if he sucked at Vanderbilt and he already has GCU playing well

that is pretty tough to compete with recruiting to Abilene and ACU and a hell of a lot of change all around

at UTEP they have nice facilities, good support of the city when they win, he knows the JuCos in the western part of Texas to pull from and most of the better BB programs in the CUSA are in the east.....other than LaTech that is ok and USM that is usually good, but is down right now

the CUSA in the west is a place where 1 or 2 pretty good players can get you a division win and if things fall right in the conference tournament you win it too and get the autobid (like north Texas state managed to somehow pull off this year even though they are really not that good and will fall apart next year)

so for Golding it was either make the biggest jump he could probably make this year or fight through a lot of change at ACU and the conference affiliation and hope that he wins enough to make a jump to something better than UTEP.......or he could go through all of that, win, and still end up making a very similar jump in a few years

he would really have to tear it up to make a jump to something like UNM, Nevada, UNLV, Fresno, or some of the other teams that have a name or he could make a jump to a MWC program that just offers a lot more money than even UTEP and I am not sure the eastern BB schools especially way east see him as having the connections they would want to pick him over some others

if he does pretty good at UTEP (not a given, but with a good probability) he will be making another jump as soon if not sooner to something better then he probably would have from ACU if he stayed.....if he does not do great he is still really young and has a lot of connections at pretty big time programs in Texas to get an assistants job again and start over

add in the money at UTEP and I think the risk/reward is well in his favor

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good info. Thanks.

Honestly, if he took ACU to another NCAA tourney coming out of the WAC... and especially if he won another first round game... he would be coveted by some pretty big programs.  Anybody watching could tell that ACU was a very well coached team. It honestly looked a lot like Beard's teams at Tech, just with smaller players.

I think the main thing that ACU can't offer is a good gameday experience.  They are currently updating their arena and actually REMOVING capacity.  I think the arena will seat ~2,500 fans when complete.  UTEP seats close to 12,000. I think that tells you all you need to know about fan and community support and expectations from the administration.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...