Jump to content
Washpark

Texas BBQ

Recommended Posts

I'm on a bender right now -- I've had Chisholm Trail, Black's, and Cooper's in Llano over the past two or three days.

 

Chisholm's brisket was almost inedible. Way too salty. Sausage was on point, so I had sausage wraps from their breakfast menu the next morning. They were microwaved, so the casing was a nightmare, but still a decent breakfast. (My motel was right next door.) 

Black's was fucking amazing and Cooper's wasn't far behind. 

Sorry, no pics. I don't get to eat much BBQ (wife's gone pesceterian, and for some reason I haven't tried the new wave of Houston places), so my camera is the last thing on my mind when I slap that meat on the table. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should see what’s on your wife’s mind when I slap that meat on her.

But seriously, you are missing out on a lot of good places in Houston. I am one to talk as there are two I haven’t tried but need to, thinking about knocking killens of that list tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do y'all Houstonians know about Willow's? It just came across my radar for the first time today, hadn't heard of it before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, tokamak said:

What do y'all Houstonians know about Willow's? It just came across my radar for the first time today, hadn't heard of it before.

Someone has the Yelp app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tokamak said:

What do y'all Houstonians know about Willow's? It just came across my radar for the first time today, hadn't heard of it before.

I have had his BBQ 3 times and thought it was very good to great.  Nice guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2018 at 9:57 PM, Hook'Em0608 said:

Had Truth BBQ the other day for the 2nd time. Wasn't near as good as the first time. The first time I went it was possibly the best BBQ I ever ate. This time it was no better than most of the top tier joints you hear about. With as slow as the line moves, they gotta keep bringing the heat. There were maybe 20-25 people in front of me and it took 45 minutes. And I got there prior to opening on a weekday. I guess that is to be expected, but man it's a beating waiting in line that long when you go during a Wednesday in Brenham, Tx of all places. 

I went to Truth for the first time a couple weekends ago and it was fantastic. The jalapeno cheddar sausage was worth the 45 min wait, IMO. Even the cole slaw looked like they spent years perfecting. The free beer with tips was a nice touch, too.

Curious what you ordered both times you went.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, berlinerbaer said:

I went to Truth for the first time a couple weekends ago and it was fantastic. The jalapeno cheddar sausage was worth the 45 min wait, IMO. Even the cole slaw looked like they spent years perfecting. The free beer with tips was a nice touch, too.

Curious what you ordered both times you went.

My first experience there was good, but occasionally while eating the brisket, we would get a bit that was way too salty.  Other times, it was great BBQ.  The second time we went, it was amazing.  One of my top BBQ meals.  The blonde gal working the register wasn't hard on the eyes either.

ivQkWxn.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
What do y'all Houstonians know about Willow's? It just came across my radar for the first time today, hadn't heard of it before.


Willow is putting out solid product, you should definitely go see him. And tell him I sent you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2018 at 11:18 PM, berlinerbaer said:

I went to Truth for the first time a couple weekends ago and it was fantastic. The jalapeno cheddar sausage was worth the 45 min wait, IMO. Even the cole slaw looked like they spent years perfecting. The free beer with tips was a nice touch, too.

Curious what you ordered both times you went.

I got brisket, ribs, sausage both times. First time was amazing, second time was just "good". To be clear, it wasn't bad at all. I've tried almost all their sides and they were all great. Even their pickles are homemade and awesome. I really like the place, I was just disappointed I didn't have the same heavenly moment I did the first time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tried Killen's yesterday for the first time.  I live in NW Houston, so Pearland is a trek.  I apologize for the crappy photo.  There is more food there than it appears.  Plus I had some bread putting (pretty meh).  Anyways, brisket was very good.  Sausage was ok.  Decent spice, but casing was pretty tough.  I don't see going back as there are a few places that are as good or better that are much closer to me.  If I lived down that way, I would probably be eating there fairly often.

rLmdOxG.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drove by Willow’s today so decided to stop real quick and pick up some ‘cue for the family

 

got the 3 meat plate (brisket, ribs, and sausage... of course), and it included 2 sides for $17. Great deal. Got the Elotes and the coleslaw.

 

Proprietor struck me as cantankerous, but I dont give a fuck as long as the bbq is legit. And legit it was

Brisket - top notch brisket that you would expect at your average “great” bbq joint. 

Jalapeno cheese sausage - dannnng, a lotta cheese and heat here, but smoked perfectly and had a nice snap. Extremely good

Pork Ribs - wow, the tenderness and flavor was there, but they were slightly undercooked. Even so, they are maybe in the top 4 or 5 best ribs ive ever had. I wanted to lick the rub on the outside again and again

 

Dont usually do sides, but these were included. Both were homemade. The elotes were solid, although a tad different than im used to. The coleslaw was bland and basically just tasted like mushy chopped up cabbage.

 

All in all though, the bbq was excellent at a great price. Will be back

 

goddammit i gotta try champs stuff soon

Edited by GreenspointTexas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I’ve never been to the brick and mortar, but we’ve ordered Snow’s 3X for mail order to NY. It’s been perfect each time. 


Yep...

1dccc7bf4ea6fedff74c51b5c9c39d23.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heading back to snows next coming saturday for 3rd time in 2 months

You need to make a pilgrimage spanky...

Once i get around to tapa will post picks from old thread and lastest 

Need to go try other places but loving snows lately

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those of you in north Dallas, I highly recommend Tender BBQ in Celina just off the square. Didn't get pics, but brisket and ribs were wonderful and the beans were other worldly good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Tried Killen's yesterday for the first time.  I live in NW Houston, so Pearland is a trek.  I apologize for the crappy photo.  There is more food there than it appears.  Plus I had some bread putting (pretty meh).  Anyways, brisket was very good.  Sausage was ok.  Decent spice, but casing was pretty tough.  I don't see going back as there are a few places that are as good or better that are much closer to me.  If I lived down that way, I would probably be eating there fairly often.

rLmdOxG.jpg

Go try the new and improved PCBBQ and tell us what you think

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Go try the new and improved PCBBQ and tell us what you think

A friend of mine stopped by. Said it was good, but not like the day the group of us (with Ldogg) stopped by the old place. I will check it out though and let you know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chuck's BBQ in Temple closed recently. Sad part is it was the go-to place for catfish, good CFS, too. Here's the first photo on their website (which makes it clear why they're closed):

2meat31.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chuck's BBQ in Temple closed recently. Sad part is it was the go-to place for catfish, good CFS, too. Here's the first photo on their website (which makes it clear why they're closed):
2meat31.jpg


Is that the place near Pea Ridge Rd? The poster “Bill Brasky” used to own that joint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
For those of you in north Dallas, I highly recommend Tender BBQ in Celina just off the square. Didn't get pics, but brisket and ribs were wonderful and the beans were other worldly good. 
Interesting. I've seen that place but haven't been by yet. I'll have to check it out. Also, I'm surprised Hutchins doesn't get more love from the Dallas bbq scene.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Spur08 said:
On 4/8/2018 at 9:30 AM, Big_kat said:
For those of you in north Dallas, I highly recommend Tender BBQ in Celina just off the square. Didn't get pics, but brisket and ribs were wonderful and the beans were other worldly good. 

Interesting. I've seen that place but haven't been by yet. I'll have to check it out. Also, I'm surprised Hutchins doesn't get more love from the Dallas bbq scene.

Hutchins about on par with Rudy's for me. I just don't understand the love. Been going to it since they had the one on the corner of main and Preston in Frisco back in the early 90s. Never thought it was anything special. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Franklin BBQ ebook is on sale.

Meat Smoking Manifesto
 

I have the hard copy.  There's not much in there that hasn't been said in various places on this site, but it's nice to have it all in one place and it's a good read to go with a few good recipes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2018 at 8:38 AM, BabaYaga said:

Haven't made it to Cattleack.  They make it too hard to get in and out, and their model of intended scarcity is a pain in the ass.

Up until just recently Misty (wif) would send out an email if they didn't have a line.  Of course, this is only of use to anyone within a 15-minute radius who hasn't already eaten lunch and can get away from whatever they are doing instantaneously.  They are now broadcasting through one of the non-zuck social medias when they have no line.  They still send out their weekly email update with that week's specialty items.  They also allow pre-orders of bulk meat for pickup at 1030 before they open.  They will sell sides if you meat the minimum bulk meat requirements.  Of course this is only of utility if you plan on feeding at least 8 to 10 for lunch that day.  For holidays they also sell dry-packed bulk meat.

They do not sell the special items in advance or in bulk.  In the creativity department I find it hard to see anyone outranking them and i've only had the toddbuster or whatever it's called.  I've heard the wagyu bologna chili dog rips the space time continuum.

I don't believe "intended scarcity" is the right word to describe the model.  Can you characterize Snow's as intended scarcity?  They both operate with the physical plant they have available for reasons unique to each.  Snow's can only muster one day a week, Cattleack does 2 days a week but has recently added first Saturdays.  In the case of Cattleack, I think they don't want to get beyond their ability to retain hands-on tooling.  Doing your own line work insures 1000% quality control, and a relationship with your stakeholders (line-standing customers) that enable the commercial viability of the operation (palette).  This is a sign of a true artisan, a craftsman who would rather guarantee the purity of his art than the profit in his bank.

Mueller and Aaron have made the transition to volume without a drop in artistry, craftsmanship or quality but neither outrank Cattleack in creativity (haven't had chocolate factory).

I'm very curious to hear how Greg Gatlin has prospered since his move and increase in volume.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2018 at 8:45 AM, C-Man said:

Kreuz is just not any good anymore. In fact, I've heard Smitty's has slipped pretty far these days too. I think a lot of it has to do with the extended hours PL is open now. I do not like what David does to his pork ribs at Cattleack, though.

Kreuz is the perfect example of what happens when you can't make the transition to volume.  My last Kreuz brisket was down to 4 stars (out of 6) while their sausage was still holding a solid 5.  But Kreuz (and Smitty) used to be a dead heat with Blacks.  The latter now stands alone in Lockhart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2018 at 10:22 AM, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Question: What is the prevailing opinion on TEN50 and Hard Eight? They seem almost identical in appearance and layout and taste to me, are they the same company? They are quick and easy stops...

1. High Heat.

2. Mass-market.

3. Sheeple, Posers, Douchebags, Kettles, you name it, they've got it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/27/2018 at 10:45 AM, BabaYaga said:

They all have their differences.  To me, PL has upped their game with their amazing beef ribs and brisket.  BBQ pork doesn't define a great BBQ joint.  Beef is what does it here.  Like I said, I met Justin back in the day selling his fare in the back of a truck in an old parking lot during lunch hours.  So I've been able to experience his evolution and style over the years.  So yeah, there's a subjective attachment to his place.  

PL is also an example of a transition to volume with an actual increase in quality.  Indeed, the PL beef rib may be the best rib in Texas.  May.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2018 at 9:12 AM, Mac8111 said:

How is Mt Zion in Huntsville these days?   Back when I lived there, it was the greatest hangover cure ever.  And family style at that.  But that was a long time ago....

I went a couple years ago and I was the only customer that day.  I think the woman who ran the pit passed away and the dining area has more or less reverted to it's original function as a church kitchen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Big_kat said:

Hutchins about on par with Rudy's for me. I just don't understand the love. Been going to it since they had the one on the corner of main and Preston in Frisco back in the early 90s. Never thought it was anything special. 

Hutchins McKinney started playing pro ball about 8 years ago and last year completed a seating expansion to match the lines out the door on weekends.  Brisket is now a solid 5 (on a 6 scale).  Remains much more affordable compared to PL and Cattleack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2018 at 2:47 PM, ROFL BOX said:

Terry Black's on Barton Springs.

$ 24.00 for beefer + 1 side.

Very salty, about 1/2 way to inedible.

Fork is on the bone for size comparison.

Interior parts were good but fairly greasy & the bark was the salty portions.7f52711a85a8bc2086d6e3698a481017.jpg

https://austin.eater.com/2013/12/12/6315011/the-brothers-black-on-family-feuds-barbecue-tradition#more

https://austin.eater.com/2014/7/7/6192179/the-early-word-on-terry-blacks-barbecue

Just like the Mueller family, it appears the 3rd generation may have won the battle over the 4th.... ????

I haven't had Terry Blacks.  I know Lockhart Blacks well.  Anyone close to this story, would love to hear where we are 5 years on.  The article above alleges rotisserie cookers in use in Lockhart......

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

They are now broadcasting through one of the non-zuck social medias when they have no line. 

Which social media is Franklin's doing this on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, scottsins said:

 


Is that the place near Pea Ridge Rd? The poster “Bill Brasky” used to own that joint.

Yes. It's been there for nearly 40 years, so kind of a shame to see it go, at last for the catfish and CFS (and nice waitresses). But I hardly ever went there because I rarely eat fried food (except chicken about once or twice a week) and carbs these days, and their barbecue was shit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I were a millionaire I would buy that place and set up Robert Reid to make barbecue there the way Miller's used to before they sold out to the devil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2018 at 11:03 AM, Hagbard Celine said:

Up until just recently Misty (wif) would send out an email if they didn't have a line.  Of course, this is only of use to anyone within a 15-minute radius who hasn't already eaten lunch and can get away from whatever they are doing instantaneously.  They are now broadcasting through one of the non-zuck social medias when they have no line.  They still send out their weekly email update with that week's specialty items.  They also allow pre-orders of bulk meat for pickup at 1030 before they open.  They will sell sides if you meat the minimum bulk meat requirements.  Of course this is only of utility if you plan on feeding at least 8 to 10 for lunch that day.  For holidays they also sell dry-packed bulk meat.

They do not sell the special items in advance or in bulk.  In the creativity department I find it hard to see anyone outranking them and i've only had the toddbuster or whatever it's called.  I've heard the wagyu bologna chili dog rips the space time continuum.

I don't believe "intended scarcity" is the right word to describe the model.  Can you characterize Snow's as intended scarcity?  They both operate with the physical plant they have available for reasons unique to each.  Snow's can only muster one day a week, Cattleack does 2 days a week but has recently added first Saturdays.  In the case of Cattleack, I think they don't want to get beyond their ability to retain hands-on tooling.  Doing your own line work insures 1000% quality control, and a relationship with your stakeholders (line-standing customers) that enable the commercial viability of the operation (palette).  This is a sign of a true artisan, a craftsman who would rather guarantee the purity of his art than the profit in his bank.

Mueller and Aaron have made the transition to volume without a drop in artistry, craftsmanship or quality but neither outrank Cattleack in creativity (haven't had chocolate factory).

I'm very curious to hear how Greg Gatlin has prospered since his move and increase in volume.

This is fair.  And your point about scaling their model is spot on.  Even us backyard warriors face it.  One brisket.  Fine.  No worries.  But three?  Pucker factor ratchets up a few notches when there are a lot of anxious, hungry people.  That's always been my fascination with Frankin's.  His ability to replicate and scale his business 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2018 at 11:21 AM, Hagbard Celine said:

PL is also an example of a transition to volume with an actual increase in quality.  Indeed, the PL beef rib may be the best rib in Texas.  May.

maybe now, but they struggled for a long time with the volume transition (i think they doubled their pit space when they left the farmers market?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

If one was to only have time to stop at either Stanley’s in Tyler or Bodacious in Longview, which should he choose?

Well i would say bodacious since they are #4 in 2017 texas monthly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
If one was to only have time to stop at either Stanley’s in Tyler or Bodacious in Longview, which should he choose?
Brisket - Bodacious. Pork ribs - Stanley's.


Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/4/2018 at 2:47 PM, ROFL BOX said:

Very salty, about 1/2 way to inedible.

I too find Terry Blacks to be too salty. Have had the beef rib and brisket twice and both times.. Meat was cooked well, great smoky flavor, but the overly salty bark almost ruins it for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, BillyBadAss said:

I too find Terry Blacks to be too salty. Have had the beef rib and brisket twice and both times.. Meat was cooked well, great smoky flavor, but the overly salty bark almost ruins it for me. 

but our body needs salt to survive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Parents went to the new Pappa Charlies near Fairfield last Friday night.  Said the wait was an hour but the food was outstanding and they are headed back this weekend.  No pics yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...