Texas BBQ

Washpark

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

fixed

8 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

where’s the rest of your brisket?

Half pound of brisket (there are two thick slices there) one link, mac and cheese.  Was heading to court in San Antonio from Austin, and needed to be sure I would not be in a meat coma, so went “light”

9 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

What is the line like for Stanley's in Tyler on a Friday?

generally their lines aren't super terrible at almost any time

that said, if you go and don't get a Cadillac Clucker you are doing it wrong.

Spiked & smoked chicken thigh filet with spicy bbq mayo, cheddar cheese, topped with an over easy fried egg and served on toasted jalapeno cheese sourdough. Upgrade it with house-made guacamole and candied bacon! (Thick cut bacon dredged in our rib rub and then smoked until it caramelizes).

spacer.png

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

What is the line like for Stanley's in Tyler on a Friday?

If you get there at noon, expect to wait 20--30 minutes.  You can call in your order if you don't want to wait.  We do it from the line sometimes or, better, we go to the bar, order a beer, call in the order, drink the beer, walk over to get the order.  Separate register for call in orders.

Confession.  I live in Tyler and never have had the Caddy Clucker.  Always go for brisket, ribs, and sausage.  I plan to remedy that soon, but I'm like you when it comes to ordering BBQ.

• Like 1

If you get there at noon, expect to wait 20--30 minutes.  You can call in your order if you don't want to wait.  We do it from the line sometimes or, better, we go to the bar, order a beer, call in the order, drink the beer, walk over to get the order.  Separate register for call in orders.
Confession.  I live in Tyler and never have had the Caddy Clucker.  Always go for brisket, ribs, and sausage.  I plan to remedy that soon, but I'm like you when it comes to ordering BBQ.

Right on. Thanks for the pro tips.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AustinMT said:

Seems like I always wind up with the 4 meat sampler plate “No sides”

I’ve never waited more than about 15 minutes, but can’t tell you what day of the week.  

It may be sacrilege to talk up sides at a BBQ joint, but the sides at Stanley's are excellent.

Is it sad that I drove to Luling for some work stuff yesterday and I had no desire to stop in Lockhart for BBQ?  I mean, 10 years ago that would have been the highlight of my day.  I guess it's a good thing that we have so many more good options but it kind of made me feel vaguely depressed.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

5 hours ago, AustinMT said:

Half pound of brisket (there are two thick slices there) one link, mac and cheese.  Was heading to court in San Antonio from Austin, and needed to be sure I would not be in a meat coma, so went “light”

You'll regret not having a better lunch for your last meal before prison.  Watch your cornhole, bud.

• Haha 2

I need a recommendation to pass along (or 3 )for places in Austin that have good bbq that won’t be sold out by early afternoon

I’ve got micklethwait, la BBQ, Valentina’s, stiles switch in mind, but I don’t know if they’ll have any food late in the afternoon.

Any other ideas?

Leroy and Lewis
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

I need a recommendation to pass along (or 3 )for places in Austin that have good bbq that won’t be sold out by early afternoon

I’ve got micklethwait, la BBQ, Valentina’s, stiles switch in mind, but I don’t know if they’ll have any food late in the afternoon.

Any other ideas?

Terry Blacks, Lamberts, The Switch, Stiles Switch (but i personally dont like that place), Kinfolk, Oakwood, Scottys, J Leonardi’s, and maybe Wunder Pig

2 hours ago, Felix said:

Is it sad that I drove to Luling for some work stuff yesterday and I had no desire to stop in Lockhart for BBQ?  I mean, 10 years ago that would have been the highlight of my day.  I guess it's a good thing that we have so many more good options but it kind of made me feel vaguely depressed.

So it wasn’t on your bucket list?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Any other ideas?

Bert's, Taco Shack's "The Pit", Rudy's, and Bill Miller. Tell them that's why they should never think of moving here.

ah i skip the mayo but that thing is seriously amazing. even a day later

I had to spend a week at UT Tyler consecutive summers for work and made plenty of meals at Stanley’s. Two caddy cluckers at dinner and having one the next day is a part of my repertoire.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Stopped by Stanley’s in Tyler today. Was pretty damn good. Sausage and hot link were kind of weak, but brisket was solid.

CBlt8x9O_o.jpeg

Looks like you did not call in.  So how long was the wait?

My last two visits have been at about 2 p.m. on Saturday and both have had longer lines than I usually see at lunch during the week. 

Edited by dcbc

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Ah ok. Sounds great. I just heard y’all up in that part of Texas don’t know what a taco vs a burrito is.

Apparently, we cut the bark of the brisket, too. ;)

Narrator:  They don't.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1