The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Ordered me a PSA AR-10 pistol during the 4th of July sales to be extra American.

It’s excruciating watching the shipping of multiple parts at different stages of delivery.

She’ll start out as a .308 pistol with a 12.5” barrel and I’ll finally pull the trigger on a suppressor+stamp for it. Eventually I’d like to also build a 6.5 Creedmoor 20” upper for it so I could reach out past 150yards with confidence.

Pics will come once I have parts in hand...

• Like 1

So the firearms museum at the buffalo bill center of the west has been remodeled and the grand re-opening was Saturday, so we went.

A lot of the same inventory, but some nice hands on features for education.

I’m sure I’ve posted about it previously but with the new layout it’s nice and feels like there’s more than before. A couple of pics:

c1cba51cded0d2166c3b55e6d3620112.jpg
M2 demo station. Push the trigger and it goes, hence the short burst signage.

cf29beee4db4eb2a50d01beab5cab642.jpg
Colt 20 gauge revolving shotgun
f1f65667cd152f2c1d2c3cea495fb7c4.jpg
The guts of a 16th century wheelock .87 caliber musket

Edited by Pato del Muerto

That museum is on my bucket list, but don’t know when we will ever get up to Cody. Thanks for posting. Did you get to meet the museum’s curator? She is quite a good looking cougar.

In the picture of the Colt shotgun - at 7 o’clock is. Colt Paterson, at 8 o’clock a Colt Walker, at 9 is another Paterson. Those three are worth at least &100,000 each. The Colt Paterson shotgun might fetch $25,000. The Colt at 3 o’clock with the detachable shoulder stock - can’t tell if it is a ‘51 Navy or a ‘60 Army. It is probably worth around $5,000.

I was there a couple years ago. It was a great museum. Lots of stuff besides the guns, but the guns were still pretty cool. Good Indian and wildlife artifacts as well. 

Our visit was a bit of an accident. We were driving from Yellowstone to Mt Rushmore and our route passed through Cody. So we saw the museum and decided to stop. I am glad we did. This is why I like road trips when possible, because you have the opportunity to stop and see stuff you weren't planning on at first. 

The town of Cody is kind of interesting as well. 

3 hours ago, Armybrat said:

That museum is on my bucket list, but don’t know when we will ever get up to Cody. Thanks for posting. Did you get to meet the museum’s curator? She is quite a good looking cougar.

In the picture of the Colt shotgun - at 7 o’clock is. Colt Paterson, at 8 o’clock a Colt Walker, at 9 is another Paterson. Those three are worth at least &100,000 each. The Colt Paterson shotgun might fetch $25,000. The Colt at 3 o’clock with the detachable shoulder stock - can’t tell if it is a ‘51 Navy or a ‘60 Army. It is probably worth around $5,000.

Pretty sure those reflections of the one Colt Patterson aren't worth much.

6 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Ashley Hlebinsky?  She's around 30 y/o.  Definitely easy on the eyes, but I wouldn't call her a cougar . . . yet.

https://centerofthewest.org/explore/firearms/meet-the-staff/

On 7/8/2019 at 2:20 AM, Pato del Muerto said:

So the firearms museum at the buffalo bill center of the west has been remodeled and the grand re-opening was Saturday, so we went.

A lot of the same inventory, but some nice hands on features for education.

I’m sure I’ve posted about it previously but with the new layout it’s nice and feels like there’s more than before. A couple of pics:

c1cba51cded0d2166c3b55e6d3620112.jpg
M2 demo station. Push the trigger and it goes, hence the short burst signage.

cf29beee4db4eb2a50d01beab5cab642.jpg
Colt 20 gauge revolving shotgun
f1f65667cd152f2c1d2c3cea495fb7c4.jpg
The guts of a 16th century wheelock .87 caliber musket

"Double Cock Wheellock"

There's a joke in there somewhere....

No, but I knew a collector who owned a nice Colt Model 1855 Root side hammer revolving carbine. He also owned a good example of a Dance Brothers revolver made in West Columbia, Texas during the Civil War. He once traded an old single barrel shotgun for an 1848 Colt Walker. Finest collection I ever had the privilege of examining in person.

Edited by Armybrat

Moving on to something a little more modern.  My everyday carry is the Gen 5 Glock 19 w/RMR.  The RMR is a game changer in terms of pistol accuracy.  It does not do much for shots less than 10 yards since in defensive situations, sights are not really relevant.  But at distance, say 15-25 yards, iron sights cannot compete.  There is a learning curve to RMR and once mastered, is better than irons.  With irons, you eyes focus on one of 3 things, front sight, rear sight or target.  And as you get older, it is harder to focus on the front sight.  With RMR, just focus on the target.  The dot will appear and that is where the bullet will hit.  Practicing with an empty gun will also improve your trigger pull and give you instant feedback about jerking, pulling, anticipating.  After 1000 rounds, my G19 is the most accurate gun I own.  My standard test is the IDPA 5 x 5 Bill Drill.  I have iron sighted G19s with fiber optics, custom made 1911s, Dan Wessons, Sig P365, etc...  I have the lowest score with the RMR.  My times are similar with guns I shoot a lot, but the RMR is the only one that does not have penalty seconds added for missed zones.  It is the only gun that I shoot the drill cleanly and have my times match my other pistols.  My times are less than 30 seconds which is the maximum allowed for advanced classes.  So I am not the worlds greatest shot, but I shoot pretty good and have decades of experience.  I just mailed off my p365's slide yesterday to get milled along with a new RMSc red dot.  I should have it back next week.  The working theory is that if I can get this compact 12 + 1 9mm to drive tacks like the Glock, I may work it into the rotation.  Pictures to follow.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Armybrat said:

No, but I knew a collector who owned a nice Colt Model 1855 Root side hammer revolving carbine. He also owned a good example of a Dance Brothers revolver made in West Columbia, Texas during the Civil War. He once traded an old single barrel shotgun for an 1848 Colt Walker. Finest collection I ever had the privilege of examining in person.

Someone must have really wanted that shotgun. One heck of a trade.

1 hour ago, Gladeite said:

Moving on to something a little more modern.  My everyday carry is the Gen 5 Glock 19 w/RMR.  The RMR is a game changer in terms of pistol accuracy.  It does not do much for shots less than 10 yards since in defensive situations, sights are not really relevant.  But at distance, say 15-25 yards, iron sights cannot compete.  There is a learning curve to RMR and once mastered, is better than irons.  With irons, you eyes focus on one of 3 things, front sight, rear sight or target.  And as you get older, it is harder to focus on the front sight.  With RMR, just focus on the target.  The dot will appear and that is where the bullet will hit.  Practicing with an empty gun will also improve your trigger pull and give you instant feedback about jerking, pulling, anticipating.  After 1000 rounds, my G19 is the most accurate gun I own.  My standard test is the IDPA 5 x 5 Bill Drill.  I have iron sighted G19s with fiber optics, custom made 1911s, Dan Wessons, Sig P365, etc...  I have the lowest score with the RMR.  My times are similar with guns I shoot a lot, but the RMR is the only one that does not have penalty seconds added for missed zones.  It is the only gun that I shoot the drill cleanly and have my times match my other pistols.  My times are less than 30 seconds which is the maximum allowed for advanced classes.  So I am not the worlds greatest shot, but I shoot pretty good and have decades of experience.  I just mailed off my p365's slide yesterday to get milled along with a new RMSc red dot.  I should have it back next week.  The working theory is that if I can get this compact 12 + 1 9mm to drive tacks like the Glock, I may work it into the rotation.  Pictures to follow.  

Interesting. What is the advantage of the RMR over a regular laser sight?

My eyesight is getting pretty bad, with cataract procedures coming soon. It’s to the point where 3 dot iron sights are hard to get on target. Hopefully the eye surgery will help. Otherwise for me it’s just up close 7 yard point shooting for defensive purposes only.

1 hour ago, Gladeite said:

I think where people get into trouble is vacillating between platforms with open sights and RMR/red dots.  It does take more time to adjust to the RMR-type sights, but I know a few shooters that compete that say they won't go back.  

If you can focus at distance, you will love red dot optics.  It allows you to focus on the target(threat) which is ideal anyway.  

The first day I shot red dot, I thought I had just wasted $1500 on a milled gun and sight.  Second day, I was way better and starting to figure it out.  By the third day, my accuracy level improved to a level better than anything I could do with irons at any distance.  Now, nothing I owns competes with my G19/RMR.  This morning, for nostalgia sake and the glimmer of hope that my Wayne Novak built for me LW Commander would hold its own, I did speed drills, accuracy drills and an IDPA contest.   It was not even close.  The glock was 1/2 second faster to first shot, 50% more accurate and approximately 1 second per stage faster than the commander.  

I carry the 19/RMR every day.  I carry appendix only and can't tell the difference.  All of the new holsters these days are optics friendly already.  I wear Garrett Industries, Tier 1 and T.rex Arms sidecar holsters.  I switch out depending on what I am doing.  Hiking, walking around the lake and in town, I usually wear the Garrett.  Out to dinner, in town, working I prefer the Tier 1 followed closely by the T.rex .  I do still carry a 30s at least once per week.    It is the closest gun I have to keeping up with the 19 and it will sometimes conceal better depending on the shirt.

• Like 1

Interesting, now if only they’d make one that would fit the narrower HK slides without being soo odd looking.

Also finally remembered to take a pic of my newest soon-to-be lost in a boating accident build.

1581d0688f14b90a6321ea83d9fa3922.jpg

A magpul k2+ grip is inbound and I’m currently flexing on some glass for it

• Like 5

Springfield 911 380 acp
First, and most concerning was I had 3-4 failures to ignite. I pulled them out, check that the primer had been struck which it had. I retried a them and all but one fired the second time around. These were two different types of ammo. One buffalo bore on Winchester flat nose fmj.
On that note, the feed ramp is pretty blunt on the gun. I had at least 5-6 FTFeed. The flat nose and hollow points were getting caught on the feed. Now, I think the recoil spring is a little soft and therefore is to blame. Or it's a combination of both. I'm guessing none of this would occur with a round nose FMJ. 
y findings. I'm hoping it doesn't need a new spring, and I will all take some fmj round to see how it performs with those.

That 1911 life

On 7/12/2019 at 6:58 AM, Armybrat said:

Interesting. What is the advantage of the RMR over a regular laser sight?

My eyesight is getting pretty bad, with cataract procedures coming soon. It’s to the point where 3 dot iron sights are hard to get on target. Hopefully the eye surgery will help. Otherwise for me it’s just up close 7 yard point shooting for defensive purposes only.

so you are no longer doing contract hits?

Sooo my family land neighbor who had the wooded, river and private lake property with hogs on it sold his land and I’ve lost access to a little shooting land where you could harvest hogs...

Anyone near the north of DFW ppl have suggestions for land that either has free or cheap hog harvesting opportunities?