Listen up, cocksucker

Gil Bang

Second the pretty baby comment.

My expectations were too great...the denouement felt rushed. Yes more episodes would've been better. 

I always enjoy Raylan's protagonist persona... and Al crushed dying/dead. Trixie still full tilt crazy..

#metoo definitely took it's toll on DW''s trademark bawdiness...

Edited by noharleyyet

I enjoyed it -- give it about a 7 on a 1-10 scale.  But, as someone else pointed out, it seemed like they tried to do a little too much in the time they had.  They wrapped up most. if not all, of the intertwining story lines, which seemed to "Hollywood" to me and something Milch typically didn't try to do during the series.  The conclusion was a little too "neat" for my tastes.  The very final scene -- and in particular, the final line -- was greatness, though.

7 hours ago, DeepEastTexas said:

Not true. Dillahunt wasn’t the only person to play 2 characters. Dan Hildebrand (played the Unsullied’s slave master in GoT) played Tim Driscoll in the pilot and Shaughnessy in season 3.  I didn’t see him last night, which would make Dillahunt the leader with 3 characters. 

I stand corrected. Didn't know about Hildebrand. Guess they are tied at 2.

20 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

If my wife didn’t watch the series, will she be lost if she watches the movie?

No. They did flashbacks in the movie to explain some of the background. It worked well for the first time viewer I watched with. 

• Like 1

On 6/1/2019 at 3:46 PM, BigDHornfan said:

Yes.

Without all the background story of the charterers the movie wont make a lot of sense.

Easy solution though - re-watch the series with the wife then watch the movie - win & win.

• Like 3

I liked it but 2 characters stood out to me that I didn't like. Harry Manning is going to try something that bold? Really? And Connie is a priest now? Really? (perhaps this was a different character...) 

Other than that I was satisfied. 

7 hours ago, seven said:

Harry Manning is going to try something that bold? Really? And Connie is a priest now? Really? (perhaps this was a different character...) 

Harry was fooked because Samuel knew Harry let them take him. Bullock would have taken retribution.

Yep, looks like Connie took to preaching.

On 6/1/2019 at 6:46 PM, DeepEastTexas said:

Pretty sure that was Dillahunt yelling at Hearst in the street, so he’s the leader with 3 characters now. 

You were right! This makes me happy.

I was really impressed that with the exception of Powers Boothe, they pretty much got every major actor in there some screentime. The only two I can think of that they didnt kill who didnt make the movie was Cy Tollliver's 2nd in command- Con Stapleton & Andy Cramer, the gambler/Smallpox guy who became a minister. 

I guess because they couldnt do Cy Tolliver they went ahead and cut out any Bella Union storylines that didnt involve Joanie

Edited by AUS-97HORN
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

I was really impressed that with the exception of Powers Boothe, they pretty much got every major actor in there some screentime. The only two I can think of that they didnt kill who didnt make the movie was Cy Tollliver's 2nd in command- Con Stapleton & Andy Cramer, the gambler/Smallpox guy who became a minister. 

I guess because they couldnt do Cy Tolliver they went ahead and cut out any Bella Union storylines that didnt involve Joanie

Con was the preacher that married Sol and Trixie. 

54 minutes ago, hornian said:

Con was the preacher that married Sol and Trixie. 

dammit wrong character named by me- I  had to look it up, I was thinking of  Eddie Sawyer, the guy who stole money from Cy to give to Joanie to open her own place. I looked up the actor ( Ricky Jay), he passed in Nov 2018.   might have been a situation where he was too sick to be able to play the role. 

13 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

dammit wrong character named by me- I  had to look it up, I was thinking of  Eddie Sawyer, the guy who stole money from Cy to give to Joanie to open her own place. I looked up the actor ( Ricky Jay), he passed in Nov 2018.   might have been a situation where he was too sick to be able to play the role. 

Eddie was a great character.

5 hours ago, mchookem said:

Adams

who had one of my favorite lines...as he, Dan and Johnny were following Al out of the Gem...'if we were trailng water we'd look like ducklings' 😂

Also “When he’s not stealing from you, Al’s the most honorable man I’ve ever met.”

On 6/3/2019 at 10:35 PM, AUS-97HORN said:

Didn’t Andy get gutted by CY on the porch in the final episode of the series?

I only know cause I watched the last few episodes last week.

Edited by Dilligas
Dilligas

21 minutes ago, Dilligas said:

Didn’t Andy get gutted by CY on the porch in the final episode of the series?

I only know cause I watched the last few episodes last week.

That was Leon the Dope Fiend.  Andy Cramed showed up in season 3 but only briefly.  I didn't see him in the movie.  I don't remember him dying in the series.

Silas Adams, Al's sometimes 2nd in command, played by Titus Welliver, didn't make it in the movie.  He was tied up with him filming of the Bosch series on Amazon.  That's too bad, he's great.

On 6/3/2019 at 11:51 PM, AUS-97HORN said:

In the series, the Ricky Jay character just seemed to disappear after giving Joanie some money to open her own place. From some recent interviews I read, the character was supposed to be killed off, I assume by Tolliver. However Jay didn’t show for the scene. So the characters ending was left unknown.

just caught the movie yesterday. I didn’t think it was the greatest story but to be honest most of the series didn’t always have the best story arcs. The show was always about the characters, and the movie gave us a reunion and closure of many of them.  Yes, Trixie is almost 50 in real life but her character may be 30-35 in the deadwood universe.  Ages of the characters and elapsed time were ambiguous.  Jane says 10 years but is she a reliable narrator?  And Charlie’s comments and other storylines make it seem longer than 10.  Who knows. Who cares.

overall I give it 10 rating because it takes us back into that world for 2 hours. And props to hbo to fund a movie that was more of a passion project. I doubt many watched.

one complaint is why the deputy marshal was taking bribes from Hearst without any backstory. In the series, the character (played by Brent sexton) was a bartender who wanted to be a fireman. Without notice, he’s turning on bullock who presumably was close to him for a decade+?

On 6/1/2019 at 4:46 PM, BigDHornfan said:

She won't be lost, but she might not have much interest.  It's less a stand-alone movie than a movie-length epilogue to the show.   For fans, it's a great wrap up, but it only has a very loose plot to tie up some storyline from the show. 

1 hour ago, Mojo Hand said:

She won't be lost, but she might not have much interest.  It's less a stand-alone movie than a movie-length epilogue to the show.   For fans, it's a great wrap up, but it only has a very loose plot to tie up some storyline from the show. 

Agree. There isn’t much or any introduction to a character so a new viewer would have little understanding to the characters relationship to each other. 

3 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yes, Trixie is almost 50 in real life but her character may be 30-35 in the deadwood universe.  Ages of the characters and elapsed time were ambiguous.  Jane says 10 years but is she a reliable narrator?  And Charlie’s comments and other storylines make it seem longer than 10.  Who knows. 

the very first scene told us it was S Dakota statehood celebration week... nov 1889

The real George Hearst instructed his partners to provide for his family in case he was murdered in Deadwood.  No doubt he had good reason for realizing such a possibility.

And I'm sure I mentioned this on the old Deadwood thread but it's just amazing:  The Homestake mine that began operation after the discovery of gold in 1876, and prompted the Black Hills gold rush, continued to operate until 2002.

Over those 126 years, they took 40 million troy ounces of gold out of the ground.  Must've been some seriously huge gold-packed meteorites crashing into what would become South Dakota.

Edited by Augustus

• 2 months later...

I just finished the movie. I didn’t have HBO when the series aired, so I had never seen it. I binged it over the last couple of weeks.

The most interesting thing to me, as a huge fan of Justified and having watched all 3 seasons of Deadwood in short order-Olyphant was channeling Raylan Givens much more than his original turn as Bullock. Much more natural, less perpetual clinched jaw and scowl, even his accent is completely different (Bullock didn’t have a drawl before). That’s not a bad thing, really, since he’s a much better actor now, I think,  but it was very noticeable.

Olyphant used to do a daily guest schtick doing the sports segment on an LA morning show many moons ago.  His banter with the host, an old punk rocker, can't recall his name was gold every day.  Guy was just laugh out loud funny, very quick witted.

• 3 years later...
On 8/31/2019 at 7:18 AM, Wade said:

Olyphant used to do a daily guest schtick doing the sports segment on an LA morning show many moons ago.  His banter with the host, an old punk rocker, can't recall his name was gold every day.  Guy was just laugh out loud funny, very quick witted.

Steve Jones from the Sex Pistols

• Hook 'Em 1