Star Wars Episode IX

Red Five

58 minutes ago, blacklab said:

As long as it includes trade federations, sanctions, blockades, and senate debates I'll be happy.

I’m just hoping a bunch of rich and powerful white men doubt, laugh at, shame, and discount Rey because she’s a girl, only to get comeuppance when she succeeds and they all die or go to space jail.  And Ewoks. 

On 12/16/2019 at 4:34 PM, Drew said:

Because the audience sometimes over reacts?  If one portion of the fan base starts acting up, it grows and festers and infects the rest.  The movie didn't suck nearly as bad as you people make out, but since you heard it did so much it became a fact to the sheep.

You can say that in general about most idiots who ride the pine on this planet, but I think the fine folks here are a special kind of educated asshole where this does not apply.  The movie sucked, get over it.

14 hours ago, Drew said:

But I suspect, with this being surly and all, you’ll STILL hate it and prove to everyone, once again, that people on this site, in general, just hate everything.

There has been a couple of good to great new SW releases and the sheep here acknowledged them, so this is just false, as usual.

4 hours ago, Drew said:

If there is one god damned Ewok in this, I'm going Fatwa.

and by Fatwa, he means this

tenor.gif

• Like 1

TBH this is the end of the Skywalker saga, and everyone is going to have their own version of how they think it should end - whether they are a fan of TLJ or not. 

Keep in mind that this movie was supposed to be centered around Leia, and then Carrie Fisher dies. Abrams admitted that had a pretty big impact on what he had planned.

So I'm going to enjoy watching a lot of Star Wars stuff and light sabers and the force and shit and have fun watching with my son. We'll see if this is REALLY the last one (like how 1983 was the last one and the end of the Prequels were the "last Star Wars movies").

19 minutes ago, The Dog said:

TBH this is the end of the Skywalker saga, and everyone is going to have their own version of how they think it should end - whether they are a fan of TLJ or not. 

Whatever everybody's hot takes on TFA and TLJ were, most of us agree that we should have at least seen Han, Luke, and Leia together one last time.

That's the fucking crime here.

• Like 1

Keep in mind that this movie was supposed to be centered around Leia, and then Carrie Fisher dies. Abrams admitted that had a pretty big impact on what he had planned.
So I'm going to enjoy watching a lot of Star Wars stuff and light sabers and the force and shit and have fun watching with my son. We'll see if this is REALLY the last one (like how 1983 was the last one and the end of the Prequels were the "last Star Wars movies").

Carrie Fisher died before The Last Jedi was released.
  • Like 1

Whatever everybody's hot takes on TFA and TLJ were, most of us agree that we should have at least seen Han, Luke, and Leia together one last time.
That's the fucking crime here.

Disney buys Star Wars. The first meeting on the plot of the new movies:
“Ok so it opens up, and Han and Leia are on the Falcon. They’re going to meet up with Luke, who’s investigating the emergence of—“
“NO NO KILL THEM ALL!”
“Um, ok. Well how about Luke is training his new jedi pupils, and Leia tells him Han has gone missing, and they suspect it’s his rogue student Kylo, so they mount a rescue—-“
“NO NO KILL THEM ALL BEFORE THEY DO ANYTHING. WE CANT SEE THEM TOGETHER”
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

The new movies would have been better without Luke Leia and Han. Only Ford was ever a good actor and he was way past his prime 

Ford has been phoning in it for years. Carrie’s a personality, but wasnt a serious actor anymore. Hamill’s shown he’s a real character actor, but hasnt been in enough to make him a major character in a billion dollar trilogy.

But none of them should have been in more than a flashback sequence or something. Hamill could have done some voiceovers.

23 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Ford has been phoning in it for years. Carrie’s a personality, but wasnt a serious actor anymore. Hamill’s shown he’s a real character actor, but hasnt been in enough to make him a major character in a billion dollar trilogy.

But none of them should have been in more than a flashback sequence or something. Hamill could have done some voiceovers.

They definitely should have entirely focused the new trilogy on the incredibly compelling new characters that they developed and introduced.  

• Like 1

The reviews were glowing for The Last Jedi. If you hated that movie and thought the reviewers were full of shit or Disney shills, you should be happy that they think this one sucks. It means it's more of the Star Wars movie you wanted. Or maybe everyone course corrected too much, from Disney to the reviewers. Or maybe it just sucks. I mean it's JJ, you knew what you were getting into.

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

The reviews were glowing for The Last Jedi. If you hated that movie and thought the reviewers were full of shit or Disney shills, you should be happy that they think this one sucks. It means it's more of the Star Wars movie you wanted.

Uh no.  The negative reviewers now also include members of the mainstream "access" media in addition to the TLJ haters.  

8 hours ago, The People’s Elbow said:

These two things will be true:

1. Disney will make a shit ton of money 
2. Kathleen Kennedy will have fucked it up

Siths aren’t the only ones that deal in absolutes. 

7 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The Entertainment Weekly review by Darren Franich eviscerates the film and Abrams. It’s still early, but the Disney review embargo appears wise. They’re projecting $450 million in the opening weekend. 

The franchise needs a hard reboot. 

The franchise is getting rebooted.  On the small screen.  And Kennedy already has one foot out the door.   We are close to Iger announcing that Favreau/Filoni report directly to him/Alan Horn in all things Star Wars, ala Kevin Feige.

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

We are close to Iger announcing that Favreau/Filoni report directly to him/Alan Horn in all things Star Wars, ala Kevin Feige.

Ha, there's already people on here and online taking a shit on the Mandalorian as being too boring or derivatives of existing Westerns or having too much fan service. Maybe Star Wars fans online are just assholes and are extremely difficult to please. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Wise but ineffective.  The entire plot leaked early and their allies in the media invited to the premiere have not fallen into line as they did for TLJ.

Ha ha. So they were under the thumb of Disney for TLJ but broke free for RoS? Okay. It's amazing how folks on here fashion conspiracies to fit their narrative. 

24 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Ha ha. So they were under the thumb of Disney for TLJ but broke free for RoS? Okay. It's amazing how folks on here fashion conspiracies to fit their narrative. 

I think there is compounding effect too.  Everyone wanted TLJ to be decent like TFA, and were able to convince themselves it was, and gave initial reviews that fell in line with that.  Now that TLJ Sucks is in the air, it gives permission to say RoS sucks.

TLJ also became some kind of referendum on political correctness.  It sounds ridiculous but issuing a negative review regarding TLJ was almost a political statement.  For whatever reason, that does not appear to be the case for ROS.  Denying the existence of the access media and the ability of big studios to manipulate reviews is simply naive.

1 minute ago, alincoln said:

TLJ also became some kind of referendum on political correctness.  It sounds ridiculous but issuing a negative review regarding TLJ was almost a political statement.  For whatever reason, that does not appear to be the case for ROS.  Denying the existence of the access media and the ability of big studios to manipulate reviews is simply naive.

Yep.  TLJ had a ham-fisted anti-Trumpist message of love, diversity, female empowerment, etc.  As much as I side with that perspective, I found the inclusion of that message annoying in a Star Wars movie.  Especially given its clumsy execution.

• Like 1