The movie you just watched

F250

Dunkirk is a pretty damn good.  
Sorry Dunkirk wasn't Omaha Beach. 
Dunkirk could have been great, but the choice to use no CGI (yes, those 3 dozen boats really saved several hundred thousand soldiers, right?) was a bad one. And the dialog, or lack of it, killed it for me. It felt to me like it was made to win awards, not to be a good movie.

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:
2 hours ago, tantric superman said:

Dunkirk could have been great, but the choice to use no CGI (yes, those 3 dozen boats really saved several hundred thousand soldiers, right?) was a bad one. And the dialog, or lack of it, killed it for me. It felt to me like it was made to win awards, not to be a good movie.

The choice not to overuse or use CGI was why it was good.  The sound and sight of the lone spitfire was terrific.  I felt like it was made to tighten the focus, away from the big loud nonsense that we often experience today.

What I liked about how it was filed is that it did look at the trees and not the forest, which is why it was such a great perspective.  I commented on The Sand Pebbles a while back, and I always admired the final scene in that movie, because it was just one guy, alone in the darkness, with just  few shots ringing out, and that to me is a side that often isn't shown in the Pearl Harbor/Midway remakes. 

The choice not to overuse or use CGI was why it was good.  The sound and sight of the lone spitfire was terrific.  I felt like it was made to tighten the focus, away from the big loud nonsense that we often experience today.
What I liked about how it was filed is that it did look at the trees and not the forest, which is why it was such a great perspective.  I commented on The Sand Pebbles a while back, and I always admired the final scene in that movie, because it was just one guy, alone in the darkness, with just  few shots ringing out, and that to me is a side that often isn't shown in the Pearl Harbor/Midway remakes. 
It felt like filmmaker masturbation to me.

This is the one of the worst movies I have ever seen (last night)...

spacer.png

But this one later recorded from TCM made up for it....

p4137_v_v8_aa.jpg

About a pro football player with a heart condition. The 1948 LA Rams stood on for the fictional team.

Not great but okay. Love these old movies with football as the theme.

12 hours ago, tantric superman said:

My Night at Maud's (1969)

Terrible.  Just fuck already and cut 90 minutes off of this. Goddamn french.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMa5rvvYUPYQDYviMtwqE

You weren't drinking enough red wine and chainsmoking Marlboro lights. How do you think the French intended it be viewed? 

1 hour ago, Steamboat1874 said:

This is the one of the worst movies I have ever seen (last night)...

spacer.png

But this one later recorded from TCM made up for it....

p4137_v_v8_aa.jpg

About a pro football player with a heart condition. The 1948 LA Rams stood on for the fictional team.

Not great but okay. Love these old movies with football as the theme.

With that kind of star power how could it go wrong?

Victor Mature is an actor I love to hate. He's so bad in everything he's in.

On 8/6/2020 at 9:31 PM, tantric superman said:

Once Were Brothers Robbie Robertson and the Band (2019)

x1080

I don't necessarily dislike Robertson so much as I am more interested in every other member of the band.  He says they were brothers.  No where does it really show that they were brothers.  A bit of a sadness about the whole thing.

Probably the most underrated rock band of all time. The Last Waltz remains one of the greatest concerts of all time. Unarguably the best eating at a concert ever. Full Thanksgiving turkey dinner served to the audience. 

• Like 1

Tombstone. 

Come for the Val Kilmer one liners. Stay for Kurt Russell going berserk. 

The oral history of making the film is almost as interesting as the movie itself. Costner bailing to make his shitty masterpiece Wyatt Earp. Writing the script in real time. It should have never worked, but it resulted in the best Western since Unforgiven. 

25 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It should have never worked, but it resulted in the best Western since Unforgiven. 

I'm curious as to when you think these movies came out. 

To be fair, I thought there was somewhat more time between them, too, but it could be because your comment anchored it incorrectly.

On 8/6/2020 at 9:31 PM, tantric superman said:

Once Were Brothers Robbie Robertson and the Band (2019)

x1080

I don't necessarily dislike Robertson so much as I am more interested in every other member of the band.  He says they were brothers.  No where does it really show that they were brothers.  A bit of a sadness about the whole thing.

Interesting.  I just finished watching this tonight and came on here to see if anybody else had mentioned it.  I thought it was outstanding and Robbie Robertson comes across as much more caring than what has been depicted of him in the past at least from Levon’s point of view.  I have been really getting more into The Band and Dylan over the last few months.  I have always known the great songs from The Band like “The Weight, The Night they drove old Dixie down, Up on Cripple Creek” but man they have so many songs that are just fantastic once you start listening to their albums.   Since this kind of relates to Bob Dylan, how come there is not a thread on the music board about Dylan?  I would argue he has written some of the greatest music this planet has ever seen.  

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

I'm curious as to when you think these movies came out. 

To be fair, I thought there was somewhat more time between them, too, but it could be because your comment anchored it incorrectly.

Unforgiven, 1992. Link https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0105695/

Tombstone, 1993. Link: https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0108358/

8 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Interesting.  I just finished watching this tonight and came on here to see if anybody else had mentioned it.  I thought it was outstanding and Robbie Robertson comes across as much more caring than what has been depicted of him in the past at least from Levon’s point of view.  I have been really getting more into The Band and Dylan over the last few months.  I have always known the great songs from The Band like “The Weight, The Night they drove old Dixie down, Up on Cripple Creek” but man they have so many songs that are just fantastic once you start listening to their albums.   Since this kind of relates to Bob Dylan, how come there is not a thread on the music board about Dylan?  I would argue he has written some of the greatest music this planet has ever seen.

As a film that is a good snapshot of the history and the music, I can't argue, but for a movie called "Once Were Brothers" it is more or less only about Robertson.  Given that three of the brothers are gone, that's understandable.  I was just frustrated that it was too much telling us they were brothers and not enough really credibly showing that they were brothers -- whether they had good times or bad.  Maybe it's in the book.    Maybe I just need to find interviews of Levon and Garth and especially Rick Danko.  So I was disappointed more than critical -- Scorese and Howard were involved, so it obvoiusly was quality.

As to Dylan, all I can say is that apart from liking some of his songs, it wasn't till I was 40 when I decided to sit back on the bed and listen to Blood on the Tracks through a few times.  Then it kind of kicked in and I listened to a bunch of his stuff and now he's certainly in my pantheon.   If one was born past a certain age, perhaps one never was able to hook on to the folk movement -- maybe one needs that to appreciate Dylan.

On 8/1/2020 at 8:38 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I had to look it up, but nice PCU reference. Is it streaming anywhere? 

It is not. It was never converted to HD and the regular DVD is out of print.  Not even YouTube. Used copies go from 30-60 on eBay. Luckily I found my dvd version. I feel we have a generation of kids that NEED to watch this movie. 

To say it “holds up” is an understatement. It’s a dam masterpiece. 

Well, here's all you need to know. Classes: nothing before eleven. Beer: it's your best friend, you drink a lot. Women? You're a freshman, so it's pretty much out of the question. Will you have a car?

Uh, no. 

Someone on your floor will. Find them and make friends with them on the first day.

Edited by ChickenSandwich

11 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

It is not. It was never converted to HD and the regular DVD is out of print.  Not even YouTube. Used copies go from 30-60 on eBay. Luckily I found my dvd version. I feel we have a generation of kids that NEED to watch this movie. 

To say it “holds up” is an understatement. It’s a dam masterpiece. 

I've seen it once on cable. Probably on HBO at the height of Entourage's popularity. 

edit: Just bought the PCU DVD on ebay for $25 with taxes and shipping. There are worse ways to spend 25 bucks.  

Edited by billfromlaketravis

On 8/5/2020 at 9:12 AM, Chewbacca said:
On 8/5/2020 at 8:34 AM, tantric superman said:

It was very good precisely because of the lack of CGI reliance and over the top theatrics and heroics which often minimizes the threat faced by the characters.   The dialog was also appropriate for the film.  Yes, you could have had Tom Hardy acting like Will Smith in Independence Day "whooo, that's what I'm talking about" as he talks to himself, but this wasn't that type of film.   It was a somber retreat which if Hitler was able to press the attack could have crippled the Brits.   They knew it.   They Brits had their asses kicked out of continental Europe and their military was rescued by civilians in small boats.    Not exactly something they wanted to talk about.

Part of the problem with CGI is that it often looks like shit and is outdated in just a few years.  Dunkirk will hold its own.   Greyhound, while also another good WWII film, looks dated upon release and will only look worse in the next 5 years.   

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

As a film that is a good snapshot of the history and the music, I can't argue, but for a movie called "Once Were Brothers" it is more or less only about Robertson.  Given that three of the brothers are gone, that's understandable.  I was just frustrated that it was too much telling us they were brothers and not enough really credibly showing that they were brothers -- whether they had good times or bad.  Maybe it's in the book.    Maybe I just need to find interviews of Levon and Garth and especially Rick Danko.  So I was disappointed more than critical -- Scorese and Howard were involved, so it obvoiusly was quality.

As to Dylan, all I can say is that apart from liking some of his songs, it wasn't till I was 40 when I decided to sit back on the bed and listen to Blood on the Tracks through a few times.  Then it kind of kicked in and I listened to a bunch of his stuff and now he's certainly in my pantheon.   If one was born past a certain age, perhaps one never was able to hook on to the folk movement -- maybe one needs that to appreciate Dylan.

Agreed on the view of the movie from Robertson and his wife only.  As far as Dylan goes I think most people definitely know his Blowing in the Wind folk stuff (which is great) but when you listen to Nashville Skyline, Blood on the Tracks, New Morning it shows how incredible he is as a songwriter.  I know his voice turns most folks off but the music and lyrics he has been responsible for is just ridiculous especially from early 1960’s through the mid to late 1970’s.  The quantity and quality of songs he wrote is pretty much unsurpassed.

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

Greyhound, while also another good WWII film, looks dated upon release and will only look worse in the next 5 years.   

I'd rather have less than great CGI with a solid cast & script than the other way around. That's how you end up with Pearl Harbor and Midway. They looked horrible on release and went downhill from there. Greyhound will hold up, but they do need to re-edit to fix some glitches.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Unforgiven, 1992. Link https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0105695/

Tombstone, 1993. Link: https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0108358/

Right... I'm wondering why you referred to it as the best Western since Unforgiven as it came out just a year later. 

(Although I think Tombstone is a better movie)

Edited by ztejas

36 minutes ago, RPM said:

I'd rather have less than great CGI with a solid cast & script than the other way around. That's how you end up with Pearl Harbor and Midway. They looked horrible on release and went downhill from there. Greyhound will hold up, but they do need to re-edit to fix some glitches.

Midway had potential but the overdone CGI and the not so great cast hurt the film, plust it seemed unable to focus on the individual contributions while telling the story in a meaningful way.   The Outpost did such a better job showing the heroics of individuals.  

Yes, they definitely should have leveraged Tom Hank's relationship with Disney to get some access to the Mandalorian set-tech.

An Elephant Sitting Still (2018). 

Fantastic, although certainly not standard fare.  Super-stylized, kind of reminds you a bit of late issue Gus Van Sant.  Pacing is sub-snail.  Perfect if you enjoy watching the facial expressions of a person riding up 20 floors of an elevator by himself, or smoking a cigarette, thinking.

No seriously, if you get a chance, this is worth the effort.  Transports you to a sad other world.  The back story on the director adds a lot of poignancy to the affair.

All the funny bits are in the trailer.

Note:  Running time is 234 minutes.  I actually thought it was more of a normal  length and the pacing slowed it down.

Edited by tantric superman

2 hours ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Clue - 1985

Never seen before. Pretty good.

French maid super hot then, but good lord she's a cow now.  Shame. 

I saw that in the theater when it came out. Surprisingly good film, way better than I expected. Good story, great cast, and hey!, Lenny can act! That was the first time I saw Michael McKean outside of Laverne & Shirley. (It would be a few years before I even heard about Spinal Tap.) Lesley Ann Warren was smokin' and Tim Curry was brilliant. I only knew him from Rocky Horror. He stole the show. 

They released three different versions in the theaters with the three different endings. I don't remember which one I saw but it wasn't the one that "actually happened" according to the composite version. That had to be a challenge writing a story based on a board game but Hollywood had good writers with original ideas back then. Ah, the good old days. 

• Like 1

On 8/8/2020 at 8:29 AM, Rabidhorn said:

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

All the Presidents Men

Great great movies.

OTOH 

Two Rode Together (1961).  

If there is a John Ford Western that you haven't heard of, there's probably a reason no one talks about it 💤

8 hours ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Clue - 1985

Never seen before. Pretty good.

French maid super hot then, but good lord she's a cow now.  Shame. 

😂

If anyone hasn't seen Clue since jr high, you really need to.  It's a golden standard for kids movies that have a lot of mature jokes as asides. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

They released three different versions in the theaters with the three different endings. I don't remember which one I saw but it wasn't the one that "actually happened" according to the composite version. That had to be a challenge writing a story based on a board game but Hollywood had good writers with original ideas back then. Ah, the good old days.

All 3 endings are included on the Amazon Prime version and it's free to rent.

Agreed on Hollywood.  Seems like the best writers have gone to TV, because new movies are mostly cgi and tired.

On 8/8/2020 at 9:42 AM, ChickenSandwich said:

There are multiple HD versions out there for download.

23 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I saw that in the theater when it came out. Surprisingly good film, way better than I expected. Good story, great cast, and hey!, Lenny can act! That was the first time I saw Michael McKean outside of Laverne & Shirley. (It would be a few years before I even heard about Spinal Tap.) Lesley Ann Warren was smokin' and Tim Curry was brilliant. I only knew him from Rocky Horror. He stole the show. 

tenor.gif?itemid=15130358

I guess I first saw it on HBO or something. I always thought the varied endings was one of the best parts of the movie and really tied well to the movie being based on a board game that was based on guessing what happened.

Tombstone.

Talk about a movie that doesn't hold up for shit.  Music is terrible. Editing is terrible. Dubious directing decisions throughout. Outside of Kilmer, it's pretty bad.

I can't believe the gun nazis haven't derided this movie for Doc's 3-shot double barrel shotgun and his pair of 14 shot revolvers.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

37 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Tombstone.

Talk about a movie that doesn't hold up for shit.  Music is terrible. Editing is terrible. Dubious directing decisions throughout. Outside of Kilmer, it's pretty bad.

I can't believe the gun nazis haven't derided this movie for Doc's 3-shot double barrel shotgun and his pair of 14 shot revolvers.

I'm just going to neg you rather than validate you with a counter argument.

• Like 1

Tombstone.

"Unpopular opinion thread" is that way -->

And I agree with you. Movie is entirely overrated.
  • Like 1