2018-19 Houston Rockets Thread of running it back (mainly)

SEC

Kinda weird a great role player like Morris would pick a team that’s probably 6-8 in the West over being a contender. Clearly Morris wanted money and we couldn’t offer him 10 mill a year. 
you don't take a 40%-50% cut if you're not a highly paid player... get all you can while you can.

1 hour ago, Snacks said:
1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:
Kinda weird a great role player like Morris would pick a team that’s probably 6-8 in the West over being a contender. Clearly Morris wanted money and we couldn’t offer him 10 mill a year. 

you don't take a 40%-50% cut if you're not a highly paid player... get all you can while you can.

Some guys always hop on a contender for cheaper. But 10 mill a year is to hard to pass up for him, especially since I don’t think he’s ever had a multi year multi million deal before.

18 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I hope Morey comes to his senses and doesn't pursue a Westbrook trade, or I hope the sports notification I got was just "sources" BS that Morey is pursuing RW.

It's me. I'm sources.

On 7/6/2019 at 6:35 AM, Llogg said:

Trade CP3 and Capela to OKC for Westbrook and Adams. Would be funny at least.

Edited by Llogg

No way they go after Westbrook unless they unload CP3 in the process.

It would be best if we were the third team in the deal and acquiring a player like Beal for Capela and EG. Probably not happening. I can't imagine Russ playing with Harden, those two would kill each other.

33 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

The Rockets need Westbrook like Harden needs more facial hair. Russ dominates the ball like no one else. 

yeah, if CP3 and Harden had conflicts over ball dominance, wait til Westbrook shows up.  What a disaster! 

32 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I would take CP3 over Westbrook. CP3 for all his faults is still a good distributor of the ball. Westbrook and Harden would just take turns trying to score with no one really running the offense that well.

Especially considering you would have to take the worse contract and give up draft picks to get it done. It would be a horrible trade. Just run it back and enjoy your 2nd round exit because your owner sucks and you hamstrung yourself with Paul's contract.

59 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Especially considering you would have to take the worse contract and give up draft picks to get it done. It would be a horrible trade. Just run it back and enjoy your 2nd round exit because your owner sucks and you hamstrung yourself with Paul's contract.

Pretty much, this. I have friends that defend Tillman, but he wiped out out much of liquid wealth when he bought the Rockets. I doubt he's motivated to pay luxury tax, ever. 

The "I'll pay the luxury tax for the right guys" is Drayton McLane 2.0 nonsense. You either pay the luxury tax in the NBA or you don't compete for championships. That's how it works right now. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

11 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Image result for i see what you did there gif

Trey Lyles is now available. Would be worth taking a flyer on him. 6'10", career .330 BTA, alternating 38% seasons with really bad ones. He's due for another 38% season. Not a complete sieve on defense, but is still young. Considering he'd be the 2nd tallest player in the a potential rotation, and unlike Hartenstein, an actually NBA rotational player, might be worth taking a gamble on. So he will probably sign like in Dallas.

What money do we actually have left to use? We haven't signed one guy we have all be saying we should and probably because they are all getting 10 mill a year to play elsewhere.

About the only thing I like is we have some chemistry coming back. That shitty cp3 contract painted us into a corner.

RIP Lewis Lloyd, died July 5th in his hometown Philly, only 60.  He was a starter on the 1986 Houston Rockets NBA Finals team. One of the smoothest ballers I've ever seen, a pleasure to watch. I met him one while I was HS, shook his hand, a real nice guy. Fell on hard times after the NBA. Sad to see this story.  IMO he could play in today's game and be making $15mil.   A big guard who liked to take it to the hole, kinda like Harden. 

https://www.phillytrib.com/news/local_news/lewis-lloyd-famed-philly-basketball-standout-dies-at/article_38e4d99d-fe82-5b2c-949e-010d42d52f3b.html

Lewis “Black Magic” Lloyd, one of Philadelphia’s most celebrated basketball players, died on Friday. He was 60.

Lloyd, who starred at Overbrook High School before moving on to become a Drake University and NBA standout, was known for his sleight of hands trickery on the basketball court.

Many have lauded him as one of the greatest playground players of all time, and his name is mentioned in several books on basketball.

In high school, the Public League basketball championship was usually decided between the Overbrook High Panthers featuring Lloyd and the West Philadelphia High Speedboys featuring Gene Banks. The games were fierce and legendary.

“It was like Ali and Frazier,” said Banks, who went on to stardom at Duke University and the NBA. “He definitely brought out the best in me. You couldn’t play around with Lew.

who is that 33 trying to cover Black Magic?  

s-l1000.jpg

he was a master of the stop and pop midrange jumper from 12-15, a lost art. 

Edited by NowThis

4 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

What money do we actually have left to use? We haven't signed one guy we have all be saying we should and probably because they are all getting 10 mill a year to play elsewhere.

About the only thing I like is we have some chemistry coming back. That shitty cp3 contract painted us into a corner.

Of players I would have been interested for the Rockets Jeff Green, Wilson Chandler, Wes Matthews, Noah Vonleh, and Kyle O'Quinn all signed for the minimum. Markieff Morris, Richaun Holmes, Mike Scott, Kevon Looney, and JaMychal Green all signed for 5 million or less per year which we had the ability to offer.

We didn't lose out on those guys due to lack of money available.

Edited by goatsaag

On 7/8/2019 at 8:00 PM, goatsaag said:

Of players I would have been interested for the Rockets Jeff Green, Wilson Chandler, Wes Matthews, Noah Vonleh, and Kyle O'Quinn all signed for the minimum. Markieff Morris, Richaun Holmes, Mike Scott, Kevon Looney, and JaMychal Green all signed for 5 million or less per year which we had the ability to offer.

I wonder what the spreadsheet says about guys wanting to play stand around the 3FG line, watching a player dribble and then shoot or pass with 3 secs left in the shot clock. it's not fun to play or watch even if it's effective. 

Only two teams play like this... both have a ball dominating superstar scorer... and neither can figure out why players won't come/stay there... 

There are only a few PJ Tucker types...  there's a reason there are 'rumors' of that every ball handler on the team is frustrated...

Kevin McHale might not have been a good coach, but he was right about the ball getting "sticky". 

• Like 1

On 7/8/2019 at 8:00 PM, goatsaag said:

Of course, when your owner refuses to pay the tax it limits the money you can offer. I agree that style of play is a big problem right now for the Rockets, but the FO is also hampered by a shitty owner.

5 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

I feel bad for Morey turning down that 76ers job. That would have been an awesome situation for a guy like him to have. Just a wealth of resources and potential trades, easy path to the Finals in the East, dude would have killed it over there. 

You are probably the only one. 

• Like 1