Nintendo Switch

Deej

On 11/1/2021 at 1:03 PM, txhorns said:

Anyone seen anything about the Switch going on sale for Christmas?

On 11/1/2021 at 2:01 PM, Deej said:

laugh laughing GIF

https://kotaku.com/nintendo-slashes-switch-production-in-face-of-chip-shor-1847982538

The ongoing chip shortage, which has affected nearly every electronic device on the planet, has forced Nintendo to grapple with a production reduction. Nikkei Asia reports that the Kyoto-based company will make 20 percent fewer Switch consoles through the end of its fiscal year, which wraps in March. All told, that amounts to about 24 million fewer units.

On the heels of an understandably muted 2020, the past year has seen renewed vigor from Nintendo—and heightened interest from consumers as well.

Kristen Bell Omg GIF by The Good Place

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Didn’t look like there was any chance of finding an OLED anytime soon, so we bought a regular non-OLED switch for the soon to be 5 year old.  Anyone have any good recommendations for a kid his age? (I’ll be getting Zelda for myself of course)

I can think of one game a 5 year-old would love and could do.

Driving Donkey Kong GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

Haha. Finally got me a switch (one). Got mario kart with it. 

what are 3 other games i should buy? Mostly focused on playing with 8 yo daughter, but will also buy 1-2 solo games  

thinking of:

- zelda breath of the wild

- super smash bros

- ???

will also pick up a pro controller. 

12 hours ago, remoh said:

what are 3 other games i should buy? Mostly focused on playing with 8 yo daughter, but will also buy 1-2 solo games  

thinking of:

- super smash bros

- ???

Def get Zelda and my kids like Animal Crossing.  It is about building up a self sustaining island with your creatures.  If they are happy more move in and if not they move away.

22 hours ago, remoh said:

thinking of:

- super smash bros

- ???

Mario vs. Rabbids is turn based crack.

I’ve never been a Switch guy before. Nothing against it, just mainly played Call of Duty and Madden which aren’t on Switch. I heard there was a new Metroid game so I decided to borrow my girlfriend’s Switch to play it and it’s such a smooth game. Some of the boss fights can be challenging but once you figure out their patterns, it’s doable. Now I’m absolutely hooked on the Switch. Very smooth console. Anyone have any recs for other games? I’ve heard the Super Smash Bros game and Legend of Zelda BOTW are great. Any other ones I should check out?

I’ve never been a Switch guy before. Nothing against it, just mainly played Call of Duty and Madden which aren’t on Switch. I heard there was a new Metroid game so I decided to borrow my girlfriend’s Switch to play it and it’s such a smooth game. Some of the boss fights can be challenging but once you figure out their patterns, it’s doable. Now I’m absolutely hooked on the Switch. Very smooth console. Anyone have any recs for other games? I’ve heard the Super Smash Bros game and Legend of Zelda BOTW are great. Any other ones I should check out?

I've been playing Bloodstained on stadia, it's a great Castlevania/metroid type game, It's a real spiritual successor to Castlevania Aria of Sorrow with a Hades like graphics/conversation and voice acting. Not sure how well it runs on the Switch though.

On 1/9/2022 at 8:52 PM, remoh said:

thinking of:

- super smash bros

- ???

Mario Odyssey 

• Hook 'Em 1

If you like baseball, Super Mega Baseball is honestly most of what I use my switch for. It's a really fun baseball game (much more arcade than sim) with good hitting/pitching mechanics (and very good difficulty tuning). I need to up my "ego" (difficulty setting) but it's also fun to just slam homers.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 1/10/2022 at 9:28 PM, GTX Horn said:

BOTW is the best video game ever made imo.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2022 at 9:09 AM, Viper said:

I've been playing Bloodstained on stadia, it's a great Castlevania/metroid type game, It's a real spiritual successor to Castlevania Aria of Sorrow with a Hades like graphics/conversation and voice acting. Not sure how well it runs on the Switch though.

It runs well.

6 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

I know that weapon health is a huge part of that game, but I just hate it soooo much.

Very much agreed. The game is a ton of fun in so many ways, the shrines are cool, the dungeons are great (if limited in number), the exploration is great, etc. But I hated the weapon health so much - it changes the game from having fun to worrying about how many times I can use my weapon. This would be somewhat ok if combat wasn't a core part of the game but it's not like this is an RPG that let's you negotiate with enemies. 

I recognize that I am in the minority but this really sapped my overall enjoyment of BotW.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, TexasEd said:

I finished BOTW but then went back to a prior save point so I could do the rest of the Shrines and side missions that I had skipped.  Maybe I should start over at a harder level.

I’ve played regular mode start to finish 4 diff times. Always end up doing it so different every time. Take a diff route, go somewhere else first 

4 minutes ago, huge said:

So weapon health continues to be a problem even after you get the Master Sword or whatever?

super

yes though it's much less of an issue by then. It's been awhile but I think you can also level up the master sword with the trials in the forest.

Meant to post this earlier but if you're one of those people who gets into the actual story, you need to make sure to listen to the beginning stage music of each Divine Beast. There's an SOS morse code embedded into the soundtrack, like the champions were trying to call for help once Ganon took control of the beasts. I think Mipha's is the first beast you visit and she activates her SOS first. Poor thing

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1

I know I am in the minority but BOTW is too hard for extremely casual play. I only pick up my switch for a half hour every other week and can never remember where I left off or how to play. Looks like a great game, but I don't invest enough time to figure out / remember how to play each time.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/28/2022 at 10:23 AM, Serak The Preparer said:

Very much agreed. The game is a ton of fun in so many ways, the shrines are cool, the dungeons are great (if limited in number), the exploration is great, etc. But I hated the weapon health so much - it changes the game from having fun to worrying about how many times I can use my weapon. This would be somewhat ok if combat wasn't a core part of the game but it's not like this is an RPG that let's you negotiate with enemies. 

I recognize that I am in the minority but this really sapped my overall enjoyment of BotW.

I really don't understand this as while it happens, it really never stopped me from advancing or playing. I was more concerned with running out of arrows more than weapons breaking. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/12/2022 at 1:06 PM, pronghorn said:

I know I am in the minority but BOTW is too hard for extremely casual play. I only pick up my switch for a half hour every other week and can never remember where I left off or how to play. Looks like a great game, but I don't invest enough time to figure out / remember how to play each time.

It has difficulty settings. You can make it almost impossible to die.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/12/2022 at 1:06 PM, pronghorn said:

On 2/13/2022 at 5:51 PM, pronghorn said:

Lulz. I’m usually very high when I try to play video games. 

I'd probably suck at something too if I only did it for a half hour every two weeks while I was stoned. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nintendo Switch Sports is out as of last week.

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/nintendo-switch-sports-switch/

Not as many sports as Wii, but I'm digging what they have (and more sports are coming).

We've got the Nintendo Switch Online thing for $40 or whatever, but that is only linked to one account, which means that only the main account character can play online globally/etc. - I would need to cough up another $40 for the NSO family plan so that my kids can also do the online stuff and get the fancy prizes/gear/clothes/cosmetic shit/etc. so I'm not pleased by that.

Gameplay is really good, and the whole thing is very polished.  Should have been a launch title/included with the Switch (or Switch Online).

The online global play can be fun, particularly bowling as you start with 15 other players and it launches into elimination rounds, but at the same time I feel like I'm getting my ass kicked by 9 year-olds.

Anyways, lots of fun and both my kids and wife like it.  The six year-old can hold her own in several of the games, so that's good.

If you buy the digital version, it's $10 cheaper and is only missing the leg band for a controller, and you can pick up the leg bands on Amazon (including 3rd party).  It's the same one from Ring Fit.  Leg band is, for now, only used in soccer anyways.

Oh, and make sure and strap the Joy Cons to any kids/adults that are playing, because those things are fucking expensive, and they will easily fly out of hands.  Maybe they aren't as bulky/heavy as Wiimotes, but seeing a $40 controller go flying across a room at the TV is not fun.

• Hook 'Em 1

Don't know shit about gaming systems these days - but wife wants me to buy my 7 going on 8 year old a Switch for his birthday this summer.  Personally I would prefer a PS5, but without the NCAA FB game being a real thing and the current prices, I think this makes more sense.  This would be his first gaming system and he has very little experience with them.  Was thinking about getting the following, does this seem reasonable?   This is all from Amazon - but should I look elsewhere or need to buy anything else like controllers or anything?

Nintendo switch with red and blue controller and 128 gb memory card $320 

Mario Kart 8 $55

Mario Party Superstars $55

Switch Sports $50

• Hook 'Em 1