Drew Brees

Wally Pryor

• 4 weeks later...

Didn't see this posted yet.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25535823/drew-brees-new-orleans-saints-gifts-174-players-coaches-milestone-balls

Spoiler

Drew Brees gifts 174 players, coaches custom-painted game balls

METAIRIE, La. -- Drew Brees surprised dozens of his past and present receivers, offensive linemen, coaches and mentors this week with commemorative footballs and letters to recognize the part they played in him breaking the NFL career passing-yardage record.

"I wanted to do something for everybody," said the New Orleans Saints quarterback, who broke the record on Monday Night Football in Week 5 and has 73,908 career passing yards. "Obviously the emotions that came after that and just the reflections. It was a good thing that we were going into a bye week because it gave me a chance just to take a deep breath. And you just start thinking about all the guys that had a hand in that.

"Take care of those who take care of me."

Brees said the best part has been receiving feedback from those who received their gifts this week. He opened up his phone to share a hilarious video from his first fullback with the San Diego Chargers, Fred McCrary, who excitedly showed off his football to friends in a barber shop, shouting, "I'm famous today!"

When Brees opened his phone, he had a fresh text waiting from LaDainian Tomlinson. He said he received a video from Brandin Cooks in the Los Angeles Rams' locker room. And he said one ball was sent to Carolina Panthers offensive coordinator Norv Turner -- even though they're playing against each other Monday.

Brees credited Saints general manager Mickey Loomis, communications director Doug Miller and the media-relations staff for helping him put together a list and tracking down addresses and the like. The 39-year-old said his first thought was to do something for everyone who had ever caught a pass from him with both the Saints and Chargers.

"And then I started thinking, 'Well, it's not just about the receivers, it's about the guys blocking.' So it's like, 'All right, let's find every offensive lineman that's ever started a game,'" Brees said. "So we did that. Then I started thinking about coaches, then I started thinking about other people as well. So it was actually a long list. But I just wanted to do that for them."

In all, the Saints said they shipped out balls to 174 people, including Dr. James Andrews, who performed the surgery on his throwing shoulder in 2006, longtime throwing coach Tom House and Saints owner Gayle Benson.

"It's him," Saints tight end Benjamin Watson said. "It's surprising, but it's not surprising at the same time that he would give a special thanks to the guys that helped him along the way.

"Obviously this is his accomplishment, but him being the leader that he is, he loves to defer praise to other people. I'm just thankful to be able to play with him and be able to contribute to the greatness that he's achieved."

On 11/18/2018 at 5:57 PM, Wally Pryor said:

Watching him dissect and destroy Philly at his age is a thing of beauty.   His throws from 35 yards out are like hand offs, just so very accurate and very precise.

Good for Brees.   Damn,  he's good.

He sucked against Dallas, though. Fuck Brees.

• Like 3

On 11/18/2018 at 6:44 PM, Xian said:

So if he somehow wins it alm this year does he retire?

First  two ever ships in Nola?  Dude would die a legend 

If they win it all, AND he's healthy, why would he retire. He's having arguably the best year of his HOF career, and he has better weapons now than at any point in his career. I don't buy the going out on top for him. If he can play at a high level, I think he stays as long as he can.

22 hours ago, runthebone said:

Didn't see this posted yet.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25535823/drew-brees-new-orleans-saints-gifts-174-players-coaches-milestone-balls

Hide contents

Drew Brees gifts 174 players, coaches custom-painted game balls

METAIRIE, La. -- Drew Brees surprised dozens of his past and present receivers, offensive linemen, coaches and mentors this week with commemorative footballs and letters to recognize the part they played in him breaking the NFL career passing-yardage record.

"I wanted to do something for everybody," said the New Orleans Saints quarterback, who broke the record on Monday Night Football in Week 5 and has 73,908 career passing yards. "Obviously the emotions that came after that and just the reflections. It was a good thing that we were going into a bye week because it gave me a chance just to take a deep breath. And you just start thinking about all the guys that had a hand in that.

"Take care of those who take care of me."

Brees said the best part has been receiving feedback from those who received their gifts this week. He opened up his phone to share a hilarious video from his first fullback with the San Diego Chargers, Fred McCrary, who excitedly showed off his football to friends in a barber shop, shouting, "I'm famous today!"

When Brees opened his phone, he had a fresh text waiting from LaDainian Tomlinson. He said he received a video from Brandin Cooks in the Los Angeles Rams' locker room. And he said one ball was sent to Carolina Panthers offensive coordinator Norv Turner -- even though they're playing against each other Monday.

Brees credited Saints general manager Mickey Loomis, communications director Doug Miller and the media-relations staff for helping him put together a list and tracking down addresses and the like. The 39-year-old said his first thought was to do something for everyone who had ever caught a pass from him with both the Saints and Chargers.

"And then I started thinking, 'Well, it's not just about the receivers, it's about the guys blocking.' So it's like, 'All right, let's find every offensive lineman that's ever started a game,'" Brees said. "So we did that. Then I started thinking about coaches, then I started thinking about other people as well. So it was actually a long list. But I just wanted to do that for them."

In all, the Saints said they shipped out balls to 174 people, including Dr. James Andrews, who performed the surgery on his throwing shoulder in 2006, longtime throwing coach Tom House and Saints owner Gayle Benson.

"It's him," Saints tight end Benjamin Watson said. "It's surprising, but it's not surprising at the same time that he would give a special thanks to the guys that helped him along the way.

"Obviously this is his accomplishment, but him being the leader that he is, he loves to defer praise to other people. I'm just thankful to be able to play with him and be able to contribute to the greatness that he's achieved."

Das it.  Class act. Always performed bigger than his stature. Family man. Great father. Great teammate and remembering and recognizing everyone is just pure class

5 hours ago, mycox said:

Drew Brees sent a commemorative football to 174 people that included all of his past receivers, offensive linemen, and coaches.

DuVWDfOUUAAflw9.jpg

That letter (and of accompanying football) are definitely cool as shit. But really Brees, are you going with the royal "we" in the first sentence? Mike is not in that record book, just you. It's ok to acknowledge that you are the all-time leader while also recognizing others' contributions.

On 12/15/2018 at 7:50 PM, Sgt Hulk said:

Das it.  Class act. Always performed bigger than his stature. Family man. Great father. Great teammate and remembering and recognizing everyone is just pure class

Brees really is everything we could ask an athlete to be.

He's like the qb version of JJ Watt.

2 hours ago, Underdog said:

He's a HOFer, you fuck fatties.  If there's ever a HOF for fucking fatties, no doubt you're a unanimous first ballot entry to said HOF. 

I'm sure there are plenty of sports HOFers who fuck fatties.

But anyways, fuck Brees. But thanks for helping me win my fantasy football championship for sucking yet again haha.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

In case folks wondering....

Drew Brees faces backlash from teammates, others in NFL and around sports for anthem protest comments

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/drew-brees-faces-backlash-from-teammates-others-in-nfl-and-around-sports-for-anthem-protest-comments/

THEN...

Drew Brees clarifies comments on not kneeling during anthem

https://247sports.com/Article/Drew-Brees-clarifies-comments-on-not-kneeling-during-anthem-Michael-Thomas-Colin-Kaepernick-New-Orleans-Saints-147811721/ 

“I love and respect my teammates and I stand right there with them in regards to fighting for racial equality and justice,” Brees said. “I also stand with my grandfathers who risked their lives for this country and countless other military men and women who do it on a daily basis.”

Earlier on Wednesday, Brees said he would never agree with anyone disrespecting the flag in an interview with Yahoo Finance.

“I will never agree with anybody disrespecting the flag of the United States of America or our country,” Brees said. “Let me just tell you what I see or what I feel when the National Anthem is played and when I look at the flag of the United States. I envision my two grandfathers, who fought for this country during World War II. One fought in the army and one in the marine corps. Both risking their lives to protect our country and to try and make our country and this world a better place. So every time I stand with my hand over my heart looking at that flag, singing the National Anthem, that's what I think about. In many cases it brings me to tears. Thinking about all that's been sacrificed. Not just those in the military. But for that matter, those throughout the civil rights movements of the sixties.

“Everyone and all that has been endured by so many people up to this point. Is everything right with our country right now, no it's not. We still have a long way to go. But I think what you do by standing there and respecting the flag with your hand over your heart is that it shows unity. It shows that we are all in this together. We can do better and we are all a part of the solution.”