Mike Gundy solves college football's fake injury problems but not coronavirus or BLM

LTtxfan

2 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Personally, I think we’ve passed enough rules that favor the offense in the last 10 years.

It doesn't favor the offense it favors the spectators. 

OU pulled this horseshit the entire 2nd half in the Cotton Bowl. I'm not putting the Horns up and clapping for someone that's on the field 3 plays later. 

My suggestion - a few years back, when Nick Saban was crying about UTHU (Up-Tempo, Hurry-Up) and whining about all of the injuries being suffered by exhausted kids on his defenses - was along the same line.

A player suffering an injury causing play to be suspended (AKA injury time-out) may not return to play until a change of possession occurs; a player suffering a second such injury may not play again during that game and must leave the field. In the event that an injured player attempts to return, the Head Coach of his team will be charged with Unsportsmanlike Conduct and upon a second such occurrence the Head Coach will be disqualified and must leave the field.

Somebody needs to think of the children.

• Like 1

Just now, TrashMaster G said:

Is that a reason to ignore an obvious problem and not pursue a very logical, easy fix?

I think it will cause as many problems as it will fix.  Imagine we’re leading blowu 31-27 with 2:00 left.  They have the ball on their 20 yd line.  Sterns lights somebody up on the first play of the drive and gets up a little slowly.  Concerned trainers rush out on the field to assist him.  He’s fine.  Sorry, he hss to sit out the rest of the drive.  This fucking place would explode. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Who keeps track of that during the game?  One of the fine Big 12 officials?

Make the player ineligibile for the first half of the next game, like for targeting. No one will violate the rule unless it involves a senior in the last game. If that’s the case, strongly suggest a public apology from the offending player. 

5 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

I think it will cause as many problems as it will fix.  Imagine we’re leading blowu 31-27 with 2:00 left.  They have the ball on their 20 yd line.  Sterns lights somebody up on the first play of the drive and gets up a little slowly.  Concerned trainers rush out on the field to assist him.  He’s fine.  Sorry, he hss to sit out the rest of the drive.  This fucking place would explode. 

Just like with injuries now, you can call a TO to let him stay in the game.  Problem solved - assuming the coach actually thinks it's important.

• Like 2

Also, I would assume this has to apply to the offense as well, right?  We can’t be taking defenders off the field for getting “hurt” and just let the offensive guys come and go as they please, can we?  It has good intent, but I don’t support anything that further favors the offense.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Make the player ineligibile for the first half of the next game, like for targeting. No one will violate the rule unless it involves a senior in the last game. If that’s the case, strongly suggest a public apology from the offending player. 

You don't want to make it too strong of a rule, so that potentially injured players can feel comfortable coming off the field.

I like r/cfb's suggested modification to Gundy's rule: The player must remain off the field until the next change of possession or timeout. So anything that would've otherwise slowed the offense down anyway would allow the player to return.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Hed have to come off the field under the current rules. Trainers don’t rush onto the field without being instructed by a coach after an official stops action. If trainers are legitimately needed on the field, 95% of the time that injury requires attention on the sideline, and the player misses several plays. 

13 minutes ago, Zavala said:

Great idea. But what about if your shoelace breaks?

Will players stop the game for quick one play equipment timeouts instead of fake injuries?

Anybody who leaves the field on his own can come back any time, just like now.  It would have to be a really severe shoelace break to need assistance off the field.

11 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Clearly, the trainers would be instructed to wait a beat before charging out.  Players would probably have a signal to say they are ok.

5 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Just like with injuries now, you can call a TO to let him stay in the game.  Problem solved - assuming the coach actually thinks it's important.

This.

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

does that go for the offensive player who gets hurt also?  Gundy might not like his QB having to sit out an entire possession. Gundy is an offensive guy.  of course this would be his suggestion.

Yes, the rule would apply to all players.  Why not?

Edited by TrashMaster G

2 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

You don't want to make it too strong of a rule, so that potentially injured players can feel comfortable coming off the field.

I like r/cfb's suggested modification to Gundy's rule: The player must remain off the field until the next change of possession or timeout. So anything that would've otherwise slowed the offense down anyway would allow the player to return.

I thought the change of possession was what Gundy suggested. I could live with the  time out compromise, but I’d still want a stiffer penalty for violating either of those rules. I was only speaking of the penalty for players who violate the rules so no ref has to keep track of it. 

1 minute ago, TrashMaster G said:

Anybody who leaves the field on his own can come back any time, just like now.  It would have to be a really sever shoelace break to need assistance off the field.

Clearly, the trainers would be instructed to wait a beat before charging out.  Players would probably have a signal to say they are ok.

This.

Yes, the rule would apply to all players.  Why not?

is that what Gundy is saying?  applies to O and D?  I think 4 plays is enough of a deterrent.  guys on the DL might fake  due to them being rotated more often than others.

Guess the issue is whether the "fake" injury slows down a hurry-up offense, so  it may be ok for this rule to only affect the defense.....

But..... What are the rules in last 2 minutes of a half when an offensive player gets hurt??  Is a fake injury a tactic that Offenses can use to stop the clock??

6 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

does that go for the offensive player who gets hurt also?  Gundy might not like his QB having to sit out an entire possession. Gundy is an offensive guy.  of course this would be his suggestion.

Sure why not.  Offensive players don't fake injuries since their side of the ball controls the pace already.  So chances are they are sitting out multiple plays regardless.  You'd only be talking about a handful of meaningful situations a year for an offensive players as opposed to every close HUNH game for defensive players.

12 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Guess the issue is whether the "fake" injury slows down a hurry-up offense, so  it may be ok for this rule to only affect the defense....

IMO, that’s not ok.  Football is barrelling down the road toward a game in which defense is an afterthought.  I’m quite sure most offensive-minded coaches would love this rule.  Texas has shown over the years that we are one of the few schools in this pitiful excuse of a conference that is capable of fielding an elite defense when we have our shit together.  Any further neutering of that side of the ball is a negative for us IMO.

7 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

i knew someone would have this.  score one for bag.

Well there are a lot of arguments against it as outlined above, but the offense is going to be passing in a hurry up so after a first down you’d have time to get a third string tackle in there.  Not likely to give up a big play.