2019 Texas Football Season - "#8 Go Fuck Yourself Bitch"

Xcalibur

Eric Nahlin: Roster outlook including new arrivals (offense)

We haven't discussed much team of late for obvious reasons but there's always a bit of excitement as the new signees make their way to campus. This affords us a good time to look at the 2019 team in full.

While most of the departures occurred on the defensive side of the ball, perhaps the one that affects the team more than any other occurred when Lil'Jordan Humphrey left early for the NFL. His play, along with that of junior-to-be quarterback Sam Ehlinger, provided the offense with identity and reliable play. The identity -- hard-nosed, fight for every yard and first down -- will likely remain, but new playmakers must emerge within a scheme tailored to new strengths.

With the benefit of our inside information @Ian Boyd will continue to do a number on elaborating the scheme but I'd like to offer some thoughts on personnel.

In short, the main thing the offensive roster is lacking is experience, though not options, when it comes to elite game-breakers and a proven tight end. Because of the amount of proven, reliable players across the board, we'll likely be spared many of the freshman mistakes you'd see if players were forced into action prematurely. Long gone are the days when a true freshman center is snapping to a true freshman quarterback in a brand new offense. Gone too are the days of a sophomore center snapping to a true freshman quarterback in a brand new offense.

CENTER/QUARTERBACK

That woebegone center/quarterback situation from 2016 and 2017 is replaced by senior Zach Shackelford and the aforementioned Ehlinger. Shackelford played by far the best football of his career over the second half of last season while Ehlinger is on the cusp of becoming a nationwide household name. Major concerns remain for this season, however, with depth at each position.

The back-up center would be junior Derek Kerstetter, which would likely necessitate an offensive line shift. This could lead to the potential of two positions being downgraded.

At quarterback, if Casey Thompson is needed for anything more than allowing Ehlinger time to tie his shoe the season could dip downward in a hurry. Likewise, true freshman Roschon Johnson needs more time to incubate.

Over the course of the 2019 season it will be important for the staff to get a good grasp on who the center will be for a likely playoff run in 2020. There are some options on campus, namely Kerstetter, but the players being specifically recruited for the void will be too green to provide immediate help. The 2020 center is likely on campus now.

GUARDS AND TACKLES

Tackles and guards.

It's been my contention the 2019 offensive line will improve over last year at four of the five positions. The lone drop-off will be due to Sam Cosmi moving from right tackle to left. Still, right tackle play should be average at a minimum.

No other position grouping has been upgraded more since Herman's arrival than the o-line. That's due in part to a few factors:

1. The hit rate on the only two 2017 signees. Cosmi has star potential; Kerstetter can be a plus player at multiple positions
2. Time and physical development. We saw the improvement last year. Countless bystanders have mentioned how improved the builds are of the current players from just six months ago
3. Quality recruiting including evaluation and being opportunistic in the transfer market
4. Competition -- it isn't where it needs to be but it's much improved with four potential starters at guard and tackle each
5. Herb Hand tying it all together

With Cosmi and Shackelford set at tackle and center respectively the intrigue and competition lies at guard and right tackle.

The addition of Parker Braun has a similar effect to Calvin Anderson in the year prior. He'll start, obviously, but he'll have to earn his place upon arrival. If you say, I thought Parker Braun was gonna starts! after one practice so help me...

Braun will be your starting left guard early in August giving Texas its best left side in a long time. Pass blocking will be fine while run blocking should be dominant.

The Georgia Tech transfer's arrival funnels competition to right guard where Derek Kerstetter is penciled in. He'll be combating Junior Angilau, Tope Imade, and in a roundabout way, Denzel Okafor at right tackle. Okafor made some strides this spring and may be improved enough to remain at tackle.

For Kerstetter, he needs to continue adding lower body strength. He's more ideally suited to tackle or center but he'll grapple and fight in the trenches and may prove the best option at guard.

Of the guards mentioned, Angilau is the most talented. It's possible he could make an early season jump over Kerstetter similar to Cosmi jumping Kerstetter at right tackle early last season. I wouldn't say that's likely but Angilau has been coming on and young players often make rapid improvements between big practice blocs.

If Okafor struggles at tackle that will have the coaches flirting with the idea of playing the athletic but raw Christian Jones or the safety net Kerstetter there.

The offensive linemen I've yet to name are likely still a year away or emergency depth.

Junior JP Urquidez uses his leverage well to run block, but is a little heavy footed which makes tackle tough. He could play guard in a pinch, though.

Highly rated freshman Tyler Johnson isn't ready technically, but still has tons of upside. I think he's a candidate to vie for guard after Braun graduates before potentially moving on to tackle as departures dictate.

Reese Moore will continue repping at left tackle. Rafiti Ghirmai will continue working at center. Neither player is ready but each has the luxury of time to develop. Ghirmai has a long way to go to be ready to play center.

With Tyler Johnson already enrolled, three new classmates will join him in the coming weeks. I wrote about Isaiah Hookfin in the Scoop on Monday. I believe he's tackle-specific.

I'm on a bit of an evaluation odyssey when it comes to the giant offensive tackle/guard prospects. Often I'll note a player may or may not have quick feet, but sometimes I should probably wonder if they have quick enough feet combined with their giant size. Two new offensive linemen fall under this category in Javonne Shepherd and Willie Tyler. Each are projects when it comes to their physical build, play strength, and technique, but the end result may in fact be tackles rather than guards. That's something to watch for as they begin their journeys at tackle (left tackle for Shepherd, right tackle for Tyler).

Texas is in a solid spot across the line. The situation will only continue to improve with more time for development and the arrival of bigger, more talented classes in the following two cycles.

AITCHES AND WYES

These two positions, commonly known as the slot receiver (H) and tight end (Y), do much of the schematic heavy lifting. As such, they require versatile pieces.

Texas is not only looking to replace Lil'Jordan Humphrey, who effectively combined attributes of both positions, but also Andrew Beck who did a lot of the dirty work as a reliable "move" blocker.

Is it possible Beck will be harder to replace than Humphrey? Does that sentence read like Ian just hacked my write-up?

I certainly won't say Beck is the better player, but his absence offers the staff an opportunity cost to consider between using 11 personnel and a more dynamic 20 personnel. Essentially, who do you want on the field, a second running back consisting of Kirk Johnson or Jordan Whittington, or Cade Brewer? Daniel Young could also factor in at running back as a pseudo Y-back who lead blocks.

There's no guarantee at this point that Brewer will be Beck's equal and behind him are even more questions. Reese Leitao is a good athlete but not physical enough in the run game. Jared Wiley has unlimited upside but lacks strength in his lower body. Brayden Liebrock is a sensational receiving tight end but also lacks physical development in his lower body and is an unknown as a blocker. Expectations are that Liebrock could earn snaps as a freshman but likely more as a flexed out receiver.

My hunch is tight end takes a bit of a backseat in 2019 before re-emerging, not coincidentally, as the young talent does.

Josh Moore showed promise and big play ability from the slot in 2018 before being lost to injury. He sets a high floor for the position with good hands and the ability to separate in close quarters as well as vertically.

Incoming freshman Jake Smith will help set the ceiling for the position as he adds a dimension the position requires to truly put a defense on its heels. I expect him to be integrated quickly as it's an easy position to get a player predetermined touches whether it be on screens or sweeps. We may see him line up in the backfield as well. Sometimes 20 personnel might become 10 as opposed to the other way around. We'll see how creative the staff gets with Smith.

Jordan Pouncey also works at H but he's in a bit of a pickle stuck between Moore's proven ability and Smith's expected early impact. He's a solid player, though.

It should also be mentioned that running back Jordan Whittington will also function as an H out of the back-field. That's a cheat code as that was initial his primary projection. This should find him in some mismatches.

OUTSIDE RECEIVERS

After missing much of the spring senior Collin Johnson is a bit of a forgotten man but he's poised to break out in a good way after a very fine junior season. He was dominant at times last season but could see an uptick in that regard if attention typically given him is drawn elsewhere. He'll serve as the primary receiving target but it remains to be seen if he's the go-to on 3rd and 8.

Johnson's X position is loaded with quality options. Malcolm Epps has proven not only reliable with his hands but he's also becoming a downfield threat with his ability to routinely win 50/50s.

Behind him, at least during the spring, was the ultra-talented Bru McCoy. If McCoy becomes eligible (still to be determined) after transferring I'd expect to see him cross-trained at H to offer Ehlinger a bigger target inside. If he isn't eligible then he'll likely remain at X where he may be needed to replace Johnson.

Incoming freshman Marcus Washington is silky smooth but he'll be afforded the luxury to red-shirt, add muscle, and to learn the offense. It will do him a lot of good long-term.

The field side is buoyed by senior Devin Duvernay, a player who hasn't proven nearly as dangerous as he was in high school but is a fine, reliable player nonetheless. He has excellent hands and does a great job breaking off his routes and working back to the ball. The field receiver is often a lower percentage throw due to distance but Duvernay's hands make him a chain-moving option. The next step is for Duvernay and Ehlinger to get on the same page on the deep ball. If they do that, the offense will be fully layered.

John Burt red-shirted this past season. His return offers a true speed threat on the outside, though he doesn't provide the same reliability Duvernay does. He will allow for a healthy rotation, however, and this could have positive returns for a position that expends so much energy running.

Sophomore Brennan Eagles was having a breakout spring before he was injured. Health has been an issue of his dating back to high school, but when he was playing he was proving to be faster and more explosive than ever before. If they can keep his body finely tuned he offers the position a size, speed, hands combination it doesn't have.

Red-shirt freshman Al'vonte Woodard will play this year too. We've yet to hear about his speed consistently but he registered three receptions in the spring game that illustrate he can threaten all three levels of a defense. He was raw coming in but has worked to improve his route running.

Incoming freshman Kennedy Lewis will red-shirt. He comes in with all the speed necessary but needs to get bigger and become a better route runner.

Texas is deep at X and Z with some exciting talent to emerge behind the two known quantities of Johnson and Duvernay. A healthy rotation will not only benefit this season, it will help provide experience and clarity for the following season after the two seniors depart.

THE PONIES

Sophomore Keanotay Ingram is the clear starter and after adding 15 pounds he looks like an all-conference back waiting to happen. Despite the weight gain he has retained the lateral quickness and ballerina feet he's known for. The question for Ingram will be can he remain healthy through a 14 game schedule. The added mass will certainly help.

Borrowing carries from him should help as well. That's where Kirk Johnson and Whittington come in. Johnson is the angriest runner of the three while Whittington might be the most explosive.

That's the upshot of the position. The negatives are injury history, especially with Johnson, and Whittington's newness to the position. I'm not overly concerned about the latter, he's such a naturally gifted football player, but Johnson's medical history reads like Dalton's from Road House.

Junior Daniel Young will likely serve as the late game closer again but it will be the team's job to get him the ball late in the game with the lead. It will be his job to hold on to it. I do wonder if we see Young serving as a lead blocker out of two-back sets similar to Kyle Porter in 2017. He could thrive in that role.

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 9:51 AM, South Austin said:

Same here, especially since we blasted Ole Miss in Oxford the prior game. 

Was watching a replay of a 2013 game the other day and took notice of this graphic that the network put up on the screen. Sad reminder indeed.

F2-A44227-8991-4-C53-B3-CE-6-ADF1-BDA1-E

"Sophomore Brennan Eagles was having a breakout spring before he was injured. Health has been an issue of his dating back to high school, but when he was playing he was proving to be faster and more explosive than ever before. If they can keep his body finely tuned he offers the position a size, speed, hands combination it doesn't have."

What was Eagles injury in the spring?

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

"Sophomore Brennan Eagles was having a breakout spring before he was injured. Health has been an issue of his dating back to high school, but when he was playing he was proving to be faster and more explosive than ever before. If they can keep his body finely tuned he offers the position a size, speed, hands combination it doesn't have."

I thought the knock on Eagles was his lack of top end speed? And also not knowing what play he's supposed to run. 

9 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

I thought the knock on Eagles was his lack of top end speed? And also not knowing what play he's supposed to run. 

Horns WR room starting to get crowded especially if Bru gets eligibility waiver approved..... Backups like Eagles, Woodard and Pouncey really need to take advantage of their opportunities during the  2019 season.

On 5/3/2019 at 10:33 AM, Bobby_Batronic said:

He isn’t exactly an anything. Being tall and a good receiver while possessing TE size and OL speed doesn’t make you a WR just because you line up out wide. I don’t expect him to align inside the tackle and do a bunch of H insert stuff, but he might be valuable lining up on a wing should the defense show up in light fashion on the field or motioning across the formation to lead or fake a lead on a handoff. 

Brewer is going to get a chance to own the position.  He certainly flashed a bit as a frosh. But after him is a mishmash of no one to get excited about in 2019. Of these I think Epps has the best chance to be of immediate value. 

I'm in the same camp. I'd be very surprised if he's not ultimately passed by the other WRs on the roster.

13 minutes ago, maninblack said:

I'm in the same camp. I'd be very surprised if he's not ultimately passed by the other WRs on the roster.

Epps size, basketball skills walling off defenders, and his good hands should help move the chains and hopefully increase TDs in the red zone...

Epps in this video:

Edited by LTtxfan

21 minutes ago, maninblack said:

They think Epps is an alpha that creates match-up problems. There’s some buzz around lining him up on the opposite side of the field from CJ in 4 wide sets and letting Duvernay, Moore, Whittington, and Smith cause interior problems, and Eagles and McCoy subbing in to go big on alternating plays or series. When I was younger, I used to facilitate those fantasies in my head regarding matchup problems of that ilk. As someone who has seen enough disappointment from UT offenses over the years, I assume that matchup buzz is bullshit. No doubt we’ll see Cade Brewer shit mediocrity all over the field as a warm body while most of those guys sit on the sidelines throughout the season. 

Edited by closetojumping
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

They think Epps is an alpha that creates match-up problems. There’s some buzz around lining him up on the opposite side of the field from CJ in 4 wide sets and letting Duvernay, Moore, Whittington, and Smith cause interior problems, and Eagles and McCoy subbing in to go big on alternating plays or series. When I was younger, I used to facilitate those fantasies in my head regarding matchup problems of that ilk. As someone who has seen enough disappointment from UT offenses over the years, I assume that matchup buzz is bullshit. No doubt we’ll see Cade Brewer shit mediocrity all over the field as a warm body while most of those guys sit on the sidelines throughout the season. 

Still fun thinking about the possibility of those match-up scenarios...

Maybe the past disappointments are gone just like Shawn & G.Davis...

Herman's the new kid in town...

giphy.gif

I get the impression that even though Herman still loves the shit out of the TE position, LJH opened up his eyes to the possibility of big receivers YACing it up against defenses designed to stop the speedy midgets of the world. I am optimistic that matchup advantages will be pursued, past disappointments or no.

• Like 2

Just now, Walden Ponderer said:

I get the impression that even though Herman still loves the shit out of the TE position, LJH opened up his eyes to the possibility of big receivers YACing it up against defenses designed to stop the speedy midgets of the world. I am optimistic that matchup advantages will be pursued, past disappointments or no.

Watching the TE play in the spring game, I hope they don't see the field. Either call Epps a TE or just run 10 and 20 personnel only.

Should Herman discontinue the Oklahoma drill??

NFL asks teams to stop Oklahoma drill, others

Kevin Seifert  NFL Nation

The NFL has asked teams to eliminate some high-impact drills -- including the iconic Oklahoma drill -- from training camp practices as part of the league's ongoing effort to reduce concussions.  The league acknowledged the request Tuesday during its spring meeting in Key Biscayne, Florida. The recommendation came in response to data that showed a high rate of concussions during the early part of training camp in recent years. The league convened an April 17 meeting among current and former NFL players, coaches and executives to discuss ways that would address the issue.

The Oklahoma drill, among others, has been used far less frequently in recent years, but its history is rooted in reacquainting players with full contact after the offseason.   It pits a defender against a blocker who is trying to make room for a ball carrier. Teammates and coaches usually surround the drill area to create a battle-type atmosphere.  In 2015, New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick said the drill quickly answers these questions: "Who is a man? Who's tough? Who's going to hit somebody?".  Year-over-year reported concussions dropped 25 percent in 2018 following a "call to action" by chief medical officer Allen Sills.

The league joined the NFL Players Association to produce a three-part concussion-reduction strategy: prohibiting underperforming helmet models, instituting a series of rule changes rooted in biomechanical research, and intervening in early training camp practices.   That initial camp intervention failed to change the numbers, leading to the April 17 meeting.  "We saw a certain area at the beginning of training camp where we felt could make greater improvement,'' commissioner Roger Goodell said Wednesday, "and I think removing some of these drills across all 32 teams is the right way to do that. We also believe by prohibiting some of these drills, that will happen at the college and high school and youth football levels, which we believe should happen.''

Competition committee chairman Rich McKay said Wednesday, "I think some of the coaches were a little defensive at the start, and probably the biggest advocates at the end."

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/13348894/is-oklahoma-drill-just-rite-passage-everything-fear-football

9 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Should Herman discontinue the Oklahoma drill??

NFL asks teams to stop Oklahoma drill, others

Kevin Seifert  NFL Nation

The NFL has asked teams to eliminate some high-impact drills -- including the iconic Oklahoma drill -- from training camp practices as part of the league's ongoing effort to reduce concussions.  The league acknowledged the request Tuesday during its spring meeting in Key Biscayne, Florida. The recommendation came in response to data that showed a high rate of concussions during the early part of training camp in recent years. The league convened an April 17 meeting among current and former NFL players, coaches and executives to discuss ways that would address the issue.

The Oklahoma drill, among others, has been used far less frequently in recent years, but its history is rooted in reacquainting players with full contact after the offseason.   It pits a defender against a blocker who is trying to make room for a ball carrier. Teammates and coaches usually surround the drill area to create a battle-type atmosphere.  In 2015, New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick said the drill quickly answers these questions: "Who is a man? Who's tough? Who's going to hit somebody?".  Year-over-year reported concussions dropped 25 percent in 2018 following a "call to action" by chief medical officer Allen Sills.

The league joined the NFL Players Association to produce a three-part concussion-reduction strategy: prohibiting underperforming helmet models, instituting a series of rule changes rooted in biomechanical research, and intervening in early training camp practices.   That initial camp intervention failed to change the numbers, leading to the April 17 meeting.  "We saw a certain area at the beginning of training camp where we felt could make greater improvement,'' commissioner Roger Goodell said Wednesday, "and I think removing some of these drills across all 32 teams is the right way to do that. We also believe by prohibiting some of these drills, that will happen at the college and high school and youth football levels, which we believe should happen.''

Competition committee chairman Rich McKay said Wednesday, "I think some of the coaches were a little defensive at the start, and probably the biggest advocates at the end."

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/13348894/is-oklahoma-drill-just-rite-passage-everything-fear-football

That’s because it sucks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

I'm sure LJH blew up Herman's preconceived notions about the slot position, but if you could look into his deepest fantasy you'd  see a 6'5", 260lb monster blocking TE with elite speed and hands emerging from his box like the gimp from Pulp Fiction.  I fully expect us to beat our heads against the wall with Brewer nudging adequacy for the first 1/3 of the season. Maybe he surprises us, or maybe Herman has a whole green spiral notebook chock full of lead plays and defense influencing motions from the two back set. 

41 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Sick edit

Next Week.... 16 more    (probably no D.Brown yet)

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Yeesh. Having 0 outside receivers on the field that can break a 4.6 doesn't sound like a good idea to me. 

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeesh. Having 0 outside receivers on the field that can break a 4.6 doesn't sound like a good idea to me. 

Could use Burt as outside wr instead and he's not small at 6'3" -- definitely adds the speed you're looking for.

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

We're just continuing last year's emphasis on passing plays that go 5-20 yards AND NOT A BIT LONGER.

Edited by texifornia

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

I don't think Eagles had an injury.  He was sick toward the end of camp and was limited going into the spring game because of it.

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah this is where I am. Besides it is hard for even the fastest WR to just outrun the cornerback, they have a head start after all.

Maybe if he’s bailing to a deep 1/3 or quarters, but a well executed release at the line often puts the CB nearly even with the WR with his hips turned the wrong way or still transitioning out of his backpedal. Size is fantastic. But give me a guy who can take the top off the defense on any given play every day of the week. 

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

I'm not as concerned about their speed when they are both 6'6" 220+

I'm with this, as long as they're good blockers for Sam's scrambles.

But I also wouldn't mind seeing Burt and another burner on the same side run posts.  If it's man coverage, Sam has 20 yard scrambles to that side of the field.  If it's zone, we beat you over the top.  Basically, if we have speed at WR, everyone is fucked.