Jump to content
Mac8111

2019 Fishing - Bent rods and tight lines

Recommended Posts

Question - do you have a particular favorite moon phase that you prefer to fish?   

 

I know I always noticed around the full moon that the morning bite a little slower, possibly because the fish fed a little more than usual under the bright moon.  It would be spotty in the morning, catching a few stragglers,  and then the afternoon would pick up a little.   Anyone else have any wisdom to spout out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with your theory on moon phase.

For how I fish (poling skiff and fly rods in 8" of water) I've noticed the fish are much more easily spooked on high pressure bluebird days. I feel like it's the barometric pressure affecting their lateral line, but I could be wrong. It just seems like every time we get one of those cloudless winter days where the wind lays down and you think you're going to slay them, the sound of a raindrop hitting the water will send them to the next zipcode. Had that kind of day last Saturday in Seadrift. We were throwing the smallest flies we had and making 60'+ casts, and the fish would take off like they'd been hit with a cattle prod when the fly hit the water. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree on blue sunny days and the pressure being high. We fished POC this weekend and it was pretty blue skies. We fished from South Pass all the way past the wall at the airport strip on Matagorda island and many many points in between. One fucking bite in two days. One. It was an oversized red that ran under the boat four different times and was angry about being hooked. After I landed him, I told the old man that a lesser angler would have lost that fish. Nothing like talking a little trash on one fish, but if you ever fished with my dad you would understand.



Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No moon. Moon underfoot or overhead at sunrise or sunset. Incoming tide. 

Looking forward to catching more fish in 2019. Got a place on the coast and a sweet boat, and I haven’t fished since August. Two jobs two kids too many excuses. Just need to hit it..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I look forward to hearing about the new Surly fishing lodge 4th and 5 built for us.


Reminder: Houston boat show is all this week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw this on Facebook. A catfish that ate a turtle and then got caught while it was still in his mouth at Lake Grapevine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

I look forward to hearing about the new Surly fishing lodge 4th and 5 built for us.


Reminder: Houston boat show is all this week.

you doing the Chandeleurs again this year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We just talked about that this weekend actually.   I think we will probably shoot for 2020 to do Chandeleur again.    Going to Isla Mujeres in June and have some other trips I would like to do this year.   Definitely want to do a floating cabin down towards Baffin as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like days leading up to and including the full moon and the same on new moon.  I do not like days immediately after the full moon.  I'll also take any day a minor lines up with sunrise or sunset.  And to a lesser degree when a major lines up with either of them.  I am of the opinion there is always a feeding period when the sun rises and when it sets that is enhanced by a major/minor feed.

Agree bluebird days are tough.  I will downsize my bait (Corky Fat Boy to SoftDine XL) to try and entice some fish to eat.  Sunday was partly cloudy in East Matagorda.  There was a good bite on the morning minor (that lined up with sunrise).  After the minor it was a grind.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

34th bday is friday and the weather in KC is going to suck dick.  Calling for snow.  Looked at flights last night and booked a last minute to West Palm Beach Friday morning.  Have a half day Sailfish/Wahoo/Dolphin charter booked for Saturday morning.  Can't decide if I should book a second for Sunday or hop down and play the blue monster at doral.  Not taking my clubs so a second fishing charter is most likely.  Will report back on how bad I get skunked.

Edited by Jhawk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2019 at 12:01 PM, 4th and 5 said:

you doing the Chandeleurs again this year?

How does the chandeliers trip work ?  Stay on a houseboat and get ferried over from the mainland?

I just did a 2- nighter in hopedale here http://www.southernwaycharters.com/dogwood-lodge-hopedale/

it was pretty easy.  Hopedale is not much to speak of but fishing access was good. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CoTex said:

How does the chandeliers trip work ?  Stay on a houseboat and get ferried over from the mainland?

I just did a 2- nighter in hopedale here http://www.southernwaycharters.com/dogwood-lodge-hopedale/

it was pretty easy.  Hopedale is not much to speak of but fishing access was good. 

 

We did the three day trip with DMJ Charters.   12 people on the boat.  (We rented the whole thing).   We got the marina that afternoon and loaded up our stuff onto the main boat.  (110 ft crew boat).  Then went and grabbed dinner at a restaurant.  (Some boats go out of Biloxi. Ours went out of Pass Christiansen). The boat departed around midnight.  When you woke up, breakfast was ready and you were parked at New Harbor Island, right across from Redfish Point.   


The boat pulls 6 two person skiffs with them.   You pair up and off you go.  Fish as along as you want.  Most people hit it hard in the morning, come back and grab late lunch, relax a bit and then fish again that afternoon until dusk.   You do that for three straight days, then on Saturday evening, you cruise back towards the marina.  When you wake up, it is Sunday morning and you are at the dock and the fish are cleaned.  Grab your shit and head out. 

 

All meals etc are included on the trip.  You just need to bring your own beer. 

 

You need to bring all your own fishing equipment.  It is an all artificial trip.  You can either drift fish from the boat or wade fish.  Lots of wading the surf. 

 

We would play poker at night.  Hang out.  Usually you are pretty tired from fishing all day. 

 

DMJ runs a really good boat.  There are tons of pics on their website that gives you an idea of what to expect.  He will pull your own boat out there for free. 

 

The three day trip with 12 people was $800 per person and we each threw in $150 for tip.  Very reasonable when you consider how many casts you get in. 

 

Some really big fish out there.   There should be pics on the 2018 thread of our trip we did and I know 4th&5 posted his pics as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As Mac stated it is a hell of a trip. We murdered them. Waded for 3 days. I caught all my fish on topwaters. Lost some lures to UFOs. Personal bested a 42” red. Ate like kings. Drank like fish. Our cook was like Ed O., maybe understand every 3rd word. Going again in a few months. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't like a full moon at all.  What I do like is when the sun is rising at the same time the moon is setting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2019 at 9:44 AM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

T minus 96 hours until I'm blowing shots at permit and frying barracuda steaks on the beach aqui:

serenidad-shardon.jpg

Punta Allen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I highly recommend the tides4fishing.com website:

For example, using the link below for SPI, you get weather, wind, water temp, current, tide, wave, solunar and more

https://tides4fishing.com/us/texas/queen-isabella-causeway

As you can see this morning was a great time to fish with the coincidence of moon underfoot and sunrise, plus decent incoming tidal movement. I can also see my honey hole would have been protected from the wind.

This is a morning I would have running in the dark and been getting out of the boat by 6:30am. Casting a Superspook with the wind at my back. Except I am hours away sitting at my fucking desk. 

 

 

Edited by 4th and 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The "Really Big Fishing Event for Really Special People" is the first Saturday in February. It's held at the Extraco Event Center in Waco and is in I think its 30th year. They have a 10K gallon tank with a few thousand trout in it and games and music. It attracts folks from up to 300 miles away for a day of fun fishing that they might not ever get to experience outside of something like this. A couple thousand volunteers host the event and provide one-on-one assistance to the attendees complete with cleaning and bagging their catch. More volunteers are always welcome and if you think it's something you or your group might be interested in participating in, go and check it out. It's free and it's fun. Here's a link to their FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/BigFishingEvent/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

My grandpa always used to say when the cows are laying down the fish don't bite.

Later in my heavy fishing days, I found there was usually something to it. I believe barometric pressure has something to do with it. But there are always exceptions.  I find the same to be true in my current birding activities. When it's a beautiful cloudless day there's often very little bird activity. Usually some clouds and a front coming or going gets things moving around, until the air gets really heavy with humidity and even the buzzards have a hard time staying in the air.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/14/2019 at 11:11 AM, Lat22 said:

What I do like is when the sun is rising at the same time the moon is setting. 

Moonset minor.  It can go off. 

Just got back from two tough days in Baffin.  It was cold, windy, wet, and raw.  Caught fish, just not the ones you go to Baffin for.  Had a great time staying at a buddy's cabin.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hour deal.  Not far offshore.  Buddy's wife got sick so dropped them off and I went out.  Unfortunately sick people never say "get me off the boat" they always take a couple of hours before they give in which means you can't get far offshore to have real fun.  I'm going to have to plan a trip either next month or in march where I'm the only one on the boat so I don't have to worry about other people.

3 cuda all about the same size.  Here are a couple of them.  Reel Intense Charter out of West Palm Beach.

 

2ahcpiw.jpg

2po1kea.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Mac8111 @4th and 5  Thanks for sharing, that Chandeleurs trip sounds like a dream trip to me.  Any idea if he does split charters?  Also, do y’all recommend a specific time of year for reds (I assume fall)?

To everyone:  on a related note, I’m planning a separate trip to Venice or the surrounding area.  I recall that several posters have fished that area.  Any recs for guides, accommodations, when to go/not go, etc?  We want to target reds, if that matters.  TIA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[mention=918]Mac8111[/mention] [mention=998]4th and 5[/mention]  Thanks for sharing, that Chandeleurs trip sounds like a dream trip to me.  Any idea if he does split charters?  Also, do y’all recommend a specific time of year for reds (I assume fall)?
To everyone:  on a related note, I’m planning a separate trip to Venice or the surrounding area.  I recall that several posters have fished that area.  Any recs for guides, accommodations, when to go/not go, etc?  We want to target reds, if that matters.  TIA.



I saw him at the Boat Show and he had a couple of different sign on charters dates. {split charters}. He has posted some of them on Facebook.

I am not an expert on times of year. My personal choice was to try to avoid hurricane season. If I am taking that much time off work, I didn’t want it to be cancelled due to weather.




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Avoid hurricane season. My trip got jacked and was a makeup. We went the end of March. Going in April this year. There are a number of boats that go. Ours held 12. Some hold as few as 6.

Also, PROTIP: download Motion X GPS app on your phone before you go. Your phone is a GPS. You don't need cellular data. A GPS with Google/Apple map aerial overlay made a big difference out there. The guys that didn't have them couldn't find their honeyholes the next day. The place is huge and all looks the same. My buddy and I beelined 20 minutes to our honey hole, morning and afternoon, three days straight. Fished an area no larger than 500 yards long the entire time and smoked them.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2019 at 12:59 PM, Jhawk said:

4 hour deal.  Not far offshore.  Buddy's wife got sick so dropped them off and I went out.  Unfortunately sick people never say "get me off the boat" they always take a couple of hours before they give in which means you can't get far offshore to have real fun.  I'm going to have to plan a trip either next month or in march where I'm the only one on the boat so I don't have to worry about other people.

3 cuda all about the same size.  Here are a couple of them.  Reel Intense Charter out of West Palm Beach.

 

2ahcpiw.jpg

2po1kea.jpg

1-the-jazz-singer-al-jolson-1927-everett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2019 at 10:44 AM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

T minus 96 hours until I'm blowing shots at permit and frying barracuda steaks on the beach aqui:

Did you enjoy the ciguatera?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

how did it taste? What's the limit on those? 

almost as good as bonefish.  limit is as many as you can catch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Broke down and got one of the new Curado DCs. Won’t have a chance to use it until next week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2019 at 9:44 AM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

T minus 96 hours until I'm blowing shots at permit and frying barracuda steaks on the beach aqui:

serenidad-shardon.jpg

Mmmmm, ciguatera.

Buenos tiempos!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2019 at 12:41 PM, 4th and 5 said:

Avoid hurricane season. My trip got jacked and was a makeup. We went the end of March. Going in April this year. There are a number of boats that go. Ours held 12. Some hold as few as 6.

Also, PROTIP: download Motion X GPS app on your phone before you go. Your phone is a GPS. You don't need cellular data. A GPS with Google/Apple map aerial overlay made a big difference out there. The guys that didn't have them couldn't find their honeyholes the next day. The place is huge and all looks the same. My buddy and I beelined 20 minutes to our honey hole, morning and afternoon, three days straight. Fished an area no larger than 500 yards long the entire time and smoked them.

 

So, DMJ runs different motherships, or there are other charter companies (I’d assume so) going out as well?  If other charters, any recs?

The protip makes it sound as if there are no guides to take guests out on the tender skiffs to wade / drift sites?  I’m having difficulty envisioning what the fishing arrangements are once onsite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going with the Family on an Alaska cruise in June, my ask out of it was two days guided fishing. In the Anchorage area, likely Cooper Landing. Anyone have any recommendations in the area?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@solamente73There are multiple charter companies. Each of them have small 16' skiffs with 25HP Yamaha tillers on top of the boat that are craned into the water once you arrive. Our guide went over a top spot map with anyone who asked and gave us pointers on where/how guys had success the last trip. They load you and your buddy up with gas, drinks and ice and then they turn you loose. When you get back, they tie you up and they unload everything for you.

Edited by 4th and 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not done the Chandeleur trip, but we did a Louisiana Marsh trip aboard the Southern Belle about ten years ago.  I think we went in October.  Here was my itinerary:  

Leave Austin on a Thursday at 6 AM.  Rendezvous with my buddies in Houston around 9 AM.  Stop in Lafayette for lunch.  Make it to Biloxi for supper and gambling.  Win a few bucks.  Board the Southern Belle at midnight.  Sleep for a few hours as we head south.  Wake up Friday around 6 AM at their private dock in the middle of the Louisiana marsh with four idling skiffs fueled up and purring.  Drink coffee and eat breakfast.  Catch reds and specks.  Eat bad ass cajun food for lunch.  Drink beer.  Fish more.  Eat bad ass cajun food for dinner.  Drink bourbon.  Pass out.  Repeat Saturday but add college football on the satellite TV that afternoon and evening.  And add poker Saturday night.  Fish more Sunday morning.  Ride back to Biloxi Sunday afternoon watching NFL football while one of the hands cleans all your fish.  Drive back to Houston then to Austin.  That drive back suuuuuuucked, but otherwise, it was an amazing trip.

Damn, I need to do that trip again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 10:15 AM, El Diablo said:

The "Really Big Fishing Event for Really Special People" is the first Saturday in February. It's held at the Extraco Event Center in Waco and is in I think its 30th year. They have a 10K gallon tank with a few thousand trout in it and games and music. It attracts folks from up to 300 miles away for a day of fun fishing that they might not ever get to experience outside of something like this. A couple thousand volunteers host the event and provide one-on-one assistance to the attendees complete with cleaning and bagging their catch. More volunteers are always welcome and if you think it's something you or your group might be interested in participating in, go and check it out. It's free and it's fun. Here's a link to their FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/BigFishingEvent/

Just a reminder that this is tomorrow, I believe from 9-1. Might be 10-2. Anyway, if you know someone who would enjoy such an opportunity you need to go and check it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I spent about 2 hours at this event today and it really was a blast, as always. The smiles it puts on the faces of thousands of good people is heart warming. @DougO the majority of the trout that were left over have been taken to Amsler Park in McGregor, you might want to hurry though. Their final destination is no secret and I'm pretty sure they won't last long. One somewhat sad tidbit from the day, after 32 years of putting this thing together, the founder and organizer Travis Bailey said that within the next year due to planned renovations at the fairgrounds they will need to find a new location - soon. 

Here's the writeup from the paper with phone numbers listed at the bottom in case anyone here is interested in helping out at next years event.

https://www.wacotrib.com/sports/outdoors/really-big-fishing-event-is-big-in-every-way/article_e72506be-756d-5cd3-9329-e7c12df4640e.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=email&utm_campaign=user-share

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, El Diablo said:

I spent about 2 hours at this event today and it really was a blast, as always. The smiles it puts on the faces of thousands of good people is heart warming. @DougO the majority of the trout that were left over have been taken to Amsler Park in McGregor, you might want to hurry though. Their final destination is no secret and I'm pretty sure they won't last long. One somewhat sad tidbit from the day, after 32 years of putting this thing together, the founder and organizer Travis Bailey said that within the next year due to planned renovations at the fairgrounds they will need to find a new location - soon. 

Here's the writeup from the paper with phone numbers listed at the bottom in case anyone here is interested in helping out at next years event.

https://www.wacotrib.com/sports/outdoors/really-big-fishing-event-is-big-in-every-way/article_e72506be-756d-5cd3-9329-e7c12df4640e.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=email&utm_campaign=user-share

Thanks for the tip. There are a couple of ponds closer that had late December stockings and I still haven't given it a try. I need to hit it up and end my fishless streak that's been going on way too damn long.

Edited by DougO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DougO said:

Thanks for the tip. There are a couple of ponds closer that had late December stockings and I still haven't given it a try. I need to hit it up and end my fishless streak that's been going on way too damn long.

Because it's a "dump" more than a planned stocking the number of fish that were put in this evening is considerably larger than what TPWD would normally do. #10 hook, kernel of corn, split shot and small bobber. Go get some.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/22/2019 at 1:41 PM, 4th and 5 said:

Also, PROTIP: download Motion X GPS app on your phone before you go. Your phone is a GPS. You don't need cellular data. A GPS with Google/Apple map aerial overlay made a big difference out there. 

 

Assuming this is only for IOS?  I couldn't find it just now on the Play Store using my Android. 

Lots of good info in the first 50 posts or so already.  Hopefully I can make some contributions in 2019.  I just installed a new TM battery in my "technical poling duck boat".  I am getting a VHF and antenna along with some new speakers installed in the Pathfinder.  I hope to be chasing trout/reds soon.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so, uh, i'm not a good fisherman. i know how to tie the knots, bait hooks, run a lure, but i'm never successful. 

but my son's 12th birthday is coming up and i'd like to surprise him with a local central texas fishing trip. no guide, just me, him, his little bro, and grandad. i'd like to rent a boat somewhere (was thinking travis, but i can be convinced otherwise) and take them out on the lake in the early morning. 

do yall anglers have any advice for me?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...