Dallas Cowboys 2019 Offseason Thread of Mediocrity

Assman

So.... looks like the plan is to extend Dak this offseason (still will be cheap this season) and then sign Zeke next offseason to some huge deal.  Also trying to get the DLaw contract done.  I think by offseason 2020, we'll be cap strapped again if I'm reading the leaves right.

Starting to feel like it's NFC Championship or Red's gone.  I think it'll be challenging just to repeat as division winner with the schedule.

They also want Sean lee back (probably at a lower salary) and to re-sign Beasley.  No surprise there.  Played coy on Earl Thomas (as they should).

I know my opinion is unpopular with the average fan, but I wouldn't pay Zeke a big 2nd contract.  They so rarely work out on running backs.  I'd pick up 5th year option and franchise him a year and then let him go or try and trade him if you need to franchise him a 2nd time.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, C-Man said:

So goddamn stupid that weed is going to have ruined this kid's career when it's going to be collectively bargained in the next deal.

There's no fucking way weed is that good.

No way.

17 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Even dumber that he can't seem to no smoke to ensure he gets paid millions of dollars....

The real stupidity was not putting the smoke away so he could piss clean at the combine. Much easier to not get caught if you don't go into the system.

3 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I know my opinion is unpopular with the average fan, but I wouldn't pay Zeke a big 2nd contract.  They so rarely work out on running backs.  I'd pick up 5th year option and franchise him a year and then let him go or try and trade him if you need to franchise him a 2nd time.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rabidhorn said:

So two Dallas DE's gone, does that mean they will have to draft a DE in the second round? Taco is a waste for far. There goes drafting a TE early, not that they would.

TJ Watt was on the board and we picked that spare Taco because TJ Watt was not a "right fit" in our system. Lulz.

• Like 1

Randy has serious mental issues.  He uses the weed to help.  He's not a pothead in the traditional sense.  It's a shame.  The weed penalties need to be collectively bargained out next time. 
I'm all for weed being legal.

But do tell your inside connection on his mental issues that are doctor/patient confidential. Some laws have obviously been broken here.

Or are you speculating?

3 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Randy has serious mental issues.  He uses the weed to help.  He's not a pothead in the traditional sense.  It's a shame.  The weed penalties need to be collectively bargained out next time. 

Weed doesn't affect enough players for it to be worthwhile for the NFLPA to give up actual ground on other issues as a concession to not penalize players for weed. If I were an NFLPA member who had no problem avoiding weed suspensions I'd be outraged if it was used to cede ground in other areas that are important to me. 

1 hour ago, Assman said:

Yep, but until it's legal for players to smoke it, they need to put the blunt down or deal with the consequences. What's stupid is to throw millions down the shitter for weed.

If I was getting paid Gregory money, they could tell me to and I would willing give up fajitas and cheese enchiladas and those are legal.

2 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

Not shocked... So many wasted 2nd rd picks

That pick was the end of the 2nd round, so no different than a 3rd rounder at that point. There wasn’t much of any interest that went in the next 40 picks after him outside of Jordan Hicks (Much smaller LB), Tyler Lockett, and 3 interesting RB’s. What would their roster look like today if they would have taken David Johnson there?

Edited by Brew
  • Like 1

Plus the last 5 are Connor Williams, Awuzie, J Smith, Gregory, and Lawrence. Is it even a thing at this point that they have wasted their 2nd round picks? You have to go back to Escobar in 13 for a true wasted pick.
Jaylon and gregory are wasted 2nd picks...you usually want more than 1 year of value from a 2nd rd pick
We got 2 years of lawrence also on 2nd rd contract ...

10 minutes ago, Brew said:

That pick was the end of the 2nd round, so no different than a 3rd rounder at that point. There wasn’t much of any interest that went in the next 40 picks after him outside of Jordan Hicks (pretty well off at LB at that point), Tyler Lockett, and 3 interesting RB’s. What would their roster look like today if they would have taken David Johnson there?

It was a top 60 pick.  Trying to change the designation of the pick to rationalize a failure is what losing organizations do.  And Frank Clark, who went 3 picks after Gregory has 35 sacks in his career including 13 last year.  

Hell, I've watched the Titans squander 2nd round picks for a decade. Sen'Derrick Marks, Akeem Ayers, Justin Hunter, Bishop Sankey, Dorial Green-Beckham and Kevin Dodd were all complete failures. Henry is the only one that worked out in the last 10 years, the jury is out on Harold Landry. Has Dallas been worse than that with 2nd rounders?

7 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

It was a top 60 pick.  Trying to change the designation of the pick to rationalize a failure is what losing organizations do.  And Frank Clark, who went 3 picks after Gregory has 35 sacks in his career including 13 last year.  

Missed the Clark pick when I was skimming it. However, there are a whole lot of no names through thatvyears second and third round. Based on where Gregory graded out, I still don’t have an issue with the pick. The kid hasn’t been able to get it together, so it hasn’t worked out.

7 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

Jaylon and gregory are wasted 2nd picks...you usually want more than 1 year of value from a 2nd rd pick
We got 2 years of lawrence also on 2nd rd contract ...

I’m not sure what your point with Lawrence is. They have one of the best DE’s in the league right now from a 2nd round pick. Is the complaint they wasted the pick because they didn’t get enough out of him in 2014 and 2016 when he was cheap? I’m not even sure what to say on Jaylon at this point other than by mid year this year it looked like it has worked out.

I’m not sure what your point with Lawrence is. They have one of the best DE’s in the league right now from a 2nd round pick. Is the complaint they wasted the pick because they didn’t get enough out of him in 2014 and 2016 when he was cheap? I’m not even sure what to say on Jaylon at this point other than by mid year this year it looked like it has worked out.
Yeah im arguing the years of no value...like mentioned above, bad orginizations make excuses. The cowboys have been much much better in the draft but the gambles in the second rd have had a lot of missed years...dlaw and smith(now with no drop foot) are good but took until end of first contract to produce

2 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

5 hours ago, Brew said:

Yeah im arguing the years of no value...like mentioned above, bad orginizations make excuses. The cowboys have been much much better in the draft but the gambles in the second rd have had a lot of missed years...dlaw and smith(now with no drop foot) are good but took until end of first contract to produce

Hindsight is like etc etc man.

Here's the Pat's last five 2nd round selections for comparison:

2018 -  Duke Dawson, CB - Didn't log a single snap this year.

2017 - No selection

2016 - Cyrus Jones, CB- Waived, no longer with team.

2015 - Jordan Richards, S - Lame, traded to Falcons for conditional 7th.

2014 - Jimmy Garoppolo, QB - Traded to 49ers for 2018 2nd round pick (used to select Duke Dawson).

2013 - Jamie Collins, LB - Probowl 2015, no longer with team, traded to browns for 3rd round pick.  Aaron Dobson, WR - Waived, no longer in league.

I understand that the Pats generally select later in the round, but they are the gold standard in terms of well run organizations.  I'd take our group any day.  

4 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

2017 - No selection

2014 - Jimmy Garoppolo, QB - Traded to 49ers for 2018 2nd round pick (used to select Duke Dawson).

2013 - Jamie Collins, LB - Probowl 2015, no longer with team, traded to browns for 3rd round pick.  Aaron Dobson, WR - Waived, no longer in league.

I understand that the Pats generally select later in the round, but they are the gold standard in terms of well run organizations.  I'd take our group any day.  

Pats are actually really mediocre to poor in the first couple of rounds the last 7-8ish years.  They make a lot of hay in free agency, low rounds draft picks, and trades.  It helps when you have one of the Greatest QBs in history.  He and Bill's defensive scheming covers up so much.

2017 - No selection

Its not really hindsight when on draft day everyone knew they were gambling on injuries and failed drug test...like i said 2 have paid off but we didnt get much value gregory/taco(1st rd) are plain misses...i like the defense but im not going to sugarcoat or sunshine pump...we havent got much value for 2nd picks in a long while

3 hours ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

2017 - No selection

They have the greatest coach and QB. They have room for error in the draft and can take chances. We have zero room for error with our clown coaching staff and GM/owner. Not really fair to compare us to them. They make moves in free agency. We don't. So our success is a lot more dependent on our draft than their is for their success. They have such a well oiled machine from top to bottom, they can plug and play and keep the train rolling with ease. As with us, if one little piece becomes unhinged, we fall apart. See 2015 and 2017. 

46 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

They have the greatest coach and QB. They have room for error in the draft and can take chances. We have zero room for error with our clown coaching staff and GM/owner. Not really fair to compare us to them. They make moves in free agency. We don't. So our success is a lot more dependent on our draft than their is for their success. They have such a well oiled machine from top to bottom, they can plug and play and keep the train rolling with ease. As with us, if one little piece becomes unhinged, we fall apart. See 2015 and 2017. 

They also have one of the easiest divisions in the NFL, just sayin. 

• Like 1