Jalen Hurts seems a poor fit for the Air Raid

sushihorn

9 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Put Gronk on the line, G-counter run fake, Gronk fakes block, T blocks the guy over Gronk, Gronk is running free and you're screaming, "How do you not cover F'n Gronk?!?!" Because it was made to look like a run play and Gronk sat at the LOS looking like a doofus for 1 beat... then ran to the open space.

Love Gronk, but he looks like a doofus 100% of the time.

I'm going to go with Bama Llama and agree that Hurts never looked like an actual dual threat at QB until this year.  I thought he was an interesting change for Bama from the game manager at QB that they had run for forever, but once teams figured out that if you took away the run (very difficult task against Bammer) that he couldn't beat you with his arm.

In the limited action I saw from him this year, he seemed much better in the passing game and still runs like an elite RB.  I am sure that Riley knows what he is doing and will turn him into very dangerous weapon at OU, but he doesn't seem to have skills at all similar to Murray or Mayfield.

3 hours ago, DonaldClinton said:

Uh... OU runs the ball more than both Texas and Alabama. I think they'll be fine.

Texas ran the ball on 53.7% of plays in 2018.

Bama ran the ball on 56.8% of plays in 2018.

OU ran the ball on 57.6% of plays in 2018.

So you’re saying he’ll only be getting intercepted 42.4% of the time...

I’m sure they’ll cater this offense to his strengths, and we can pencil them into the big 12 title game yet again. I’m not falling for this shit anymore. OU is going to be in that game and they’ll have a dynamic offense until I’m proven otherwise, regardless of who their qb is. 

Also, fuck OU, and fuck Jalen Hurts. Fuck that smug look that’s always on Lincoln Riley’s face, and fuck that bitch kyler Murray. Baker, you’re cool I guess...

5 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I’m sure they’ll cater this offense to his strengths, and we can pencil them into the big 12 title game yet again. I’m not falling for this shit anymore. OU is going to be in that game and they’ll have a dynamic offense until I’m proven otherwise, regardless of who their qb is. 

Also, fuck OU, and fuck Jalen Hurts. Fuck that smug look that’s always on Lincoln Riley’s face, and fuck that bitch kyler Murray. Baker, you’re cool I guess...

Yeah, who besides us is likely going to hand him a conference loss in 2019? And like this year, we will likely have more trouble with OU second time next year than first time. Hurts has talent, and Riley knows how to deploy offensive weapons. But I like our chances.

• Like 1

I mean, i think we’re the better team with the better qb and better defense. But let’s be real. OU will be a top 10 team, and their offense will be just fine. They’ll probably have 1 or 2 losses in the regular season, be in the big 12 title game, and whoever wins between the two of us will be in the playoff. It’s like clockwork. Then they’ll probably take some other big schools leftover transfer qb and do it again in 2020. As long as we do our part, we’ll beat this team twice every fucking year 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

7 hours ago, TheFlagship said:

As much as it hurts to admit, Lincoln seems smart enough to not try to fit a square peg in a round hole per se. He has all spring and summer to adapt the offense. I would imagine they will RPO the shit out of teams. 

He was a take for any program. He has talent for sure.  I am curious if he ends up starting, and if so, does he retain the job all year...  His (and Riley's) biggest challenge to fit him in is going to be the complicated D reads. It isn't something they are required to do in the SEC.  

He's no freshman so he ahead there, but he will have some of the same tendencies (i hope at least). He will be a little hesitant progressing beyond the hot route which tends to cause happy feet, deer in the headlights, and premature ejaculation right down the middle when a blitz comes either delayed or from unexpected angles...  Plus he comes from the secsecsec and doesn't expect anyone to be playing defense.  After Texas comes in heavy and Bomar's his ass, he'll shake it off with the "they're Texas" and they did the same to Georgia so it won't be a major shock for him. But when ISU, then TCU, followed up by OSU put his dick in the dirt a few times, he will be missing the mighty secsecsec defenses...

FUCK OU and their new assclown.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sushihorn said:

The plays are mostly the same; the ratio is different.  I suspect it's because it's easier to get good OL in Norman than Lubbock.  OU still primarily runs inside zone, draw and occasional QB scramble.  They have more designed runs for the QB, which is about the only difference in style on the ground.

They run counter too almost every series. It’s impressive to watch actually because they have RB run, QB run, or Pass all off the same formation and pulling T and G. I really think they have found the magic formula of Counter Trey.

• Like 1

They run counter too almost every series. It’s impressive to watch actually because they have RB run, QB run, or Pass all off the same formation and pulling T and G. I really think they have found the magic formula of Counter Trey.
Exactly this. It's a simple formula. It's kinda wonderful.

Take what is arguably the most successful running play of the last 40 years of football, and make it the base of the rpo.

Actually, people are calling it air raid, but building most of the plays fro, that run play fake makes it a lot like run and shoot.

The more I think about this thread, the more I realize Riley has probably sat down and thought, "why hasn't anyone else taken the most successful offenses in history and made them into a monster option attack?"

I do think this is also Herman's plan too, in a way, but I need to see the OL/TE execute it.

There should be a lot more passing to the TE soon. We need te option to use that weapon (and the QB has to hit it)
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, SA-KC_Horn said:

Maybe there is a magic ferry dust on the cocks they eat up in Norman which will cause Hurts to be a meadoker passer.

It don't make a shit what 0U call their offense. Jalen Hurts is yet sanother Xfer QB for them, with a set of excellent attributes. Physical, for sure; mental, dunno. If he can learn enough of Riley's playbook and how to read the D's he faces, he'll be damned effective.

Yeah, and Magic Ferry Dust is a damned fine name for a band - enough to sell concert tickets, even if they are meaty ochre.

17 hours ago, Bama Llama said:

If his passing game under Riley's wing improves as much between now and game one as it did under Dan Enos last year, especially at crunch time vs. UGA, he could be a Big XII factor.  There is a zen thing with him that is hard to describe.  There was immediate and obvious improvement getting the ball out with accuracy last year.  

How much of that is massive improvement and how much of it is the fact that Georgia prepared to face Tua and not Jalen Hurts?

Because I think most of it is that Georgia didn’t practice to face Hurts. 

10 hours ago, Atticus said:

I'm just glad that OU will have plenty of media hype to deflect from our own.

You know Sam is loving the disrespect too.

This is a really good point I hadn't thought of before. Herman/Ehlinger have thrived so far in the underdog role, so might as well keep it rolling. 

You lost me

• 4 weeks later...

Article from SB Nation on this topic.  They agree on Hurts' ability to make secondary reads.  They expect more of a run first mentality, with emphasis on read option to match Hurts' skill set better.  Obviously very dependent on OU's ability to rebuild after losing 4 OL starters.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2019/1/22/18191583/jalen-hurts-oklahoma-offense-quarterback

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Article from SB Nation on this topic.  They agree on Hurts' ability to make secondary reads.  They expect more of a run first mentality, with emphasis on read option to match Hurts' skill set better.  Obviously very dependent on OU's ability to rebuild after losing 4 OL starters.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2019/1/22/18191583/jalen-hurts-oklahoma-offense-quarterback

More QB runs means more QB vulnerability to injury. Who's ou's backup? 

6 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

They have Mordecai and Rattler. Riley will likely be fearless in running Hurts against us, with their schedule otherwise quite winnable; he is a one-year rental, and they have a 5* sitting behind the #11 "dual" QB from the class of 2017.

Exactly, why everyone is missing this surprises me. With Rattler not coming in until the Summer, landing Hurts was a huge get for Riley. And as the year progresses he will be willing to take more and more risk with Hurts. Because by then he will have had time to bring the other two up to playing speed (one of which as you point out is a fucking 5 Star) and are waiting on the sideline. 

The guy from Muleshoe is either very, very lucky. Or really does know his shit.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Exactly, why everyone is missing this surprises me. With Rattler not coming in until the Summer, landing Hurts was a huge get for Riley. And as the year progresses he will be willing to take more and more risk with Hurts. Because by then he will have had time to bring the other two up to playing speed (one of which as you point out is a fucking 5 Star) and are waiting on the sideline. 

The guy from Muleshoe is either very, very lucky. Or really does know his shit.  

You can go ahead and admit you're a Gooner fan.

There's nothing scary about Hurts.

50 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

You can go ahead and admit you're a Gooner fan.

There's nothing scary about Hurts.

Scary?  No.

But make no mistake, Hurts is a very good runner.  It's his ability to diagnose defenses and make read progressions that I question.  He was a backup in a conference where Jake Fromm was the best passer by far.

2 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Scary?  No.

But make no mistake, Hurts is a very good runner.  It's his ability to diagnose defenses and make read progressions that I question.  He was a backup in a conference where Jake Fromm was the best passer by far.

Of course. I am just saying IMO that he had a lot of luxuries at Bama that he won't have at OU.

OU does not have a stifling defense and OU plays a lot of teams that are going to score a lot of points, requiring OU to score a lot of points, especially through the air. Hurts is going to have to make reads, and while he is a good runner, he does not have the shake that Kyler Murray has. He is a much more conventional mobile QB.

2 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Of course. I am just saying IMO that he had a lot of luxuries at Bama that he won't have at OU.

OU does not have a stifling defense and OU plays a lot of teams that are going to score a lot of points, requiring OU to score a lot of points, especially through the air. Hurts is going to have to make reads, and while he is a good runner, he does not have the shake that Kyler Murray has. He is a much more conventional mobile QB.

That's fair.  The really frustrating thing about Mayfield and especially Murray was their quickness more than pure speed.  They were able to dodge defenders inside the pocket to buy time to throw as well as doing it in the open field.  I don't see that in Hurts.  He's a dangerous open field runner once he breaks the pocket.  I don't see him as having the situational awareness and change of direction that made pass rushing against that last 2 OU QBs such a PITA.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

All true, but Lincoln Riley is a fucking wizard, especially with the run game and creating lots of easy conversion situations where WRs are open by 5 yards.

Hurts won't have to make complicated reads... he'll be facing tons of 3rd and 3s where he can basically do the following:

1. Is the primary receiver wide open? Yes.

2. Sweet. Throw to wide open receiver

3. Repeat.

OR

1. Is the primary receiver wide open? No.

2. Sweet. Simply run for the easy first down.

3. Repeat

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Pretty spot on.  OU’s D puts a lot of pressure on a QB.  The midget really excelled under all that pressure.  So did Baker.  I just don’t think Hurts is THAT good.  But he will be solid and OU has a shot at another playoff run/XII title.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

All true, but Lincoln Riley is a fucking wizard, especially with the run game and creating lots of easy conversion situations where WRs are open by 5 yards.

Hurts won't have to make complicated reads... he'll be facing tons of 3rd and 3s where he can basically do the following:

1. Is the primary receiver wide open? Yes.

2. Sweet. Throw to wide open receiver

3. Repeat.

OR

1. Is the primary receiver wide open? No.

2. Sweet. Simply run for the easy first down.

3. Repeat

Pretty easy to get 5 yards separation when Hollywood Brown is on the field  I really don't think Ceedee will have as much success without Brown on the field. 

51 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Pretty spot on.  OU’s D puts a lot of pressure on a QB.  The midget really excelled under all that pressure.  So did Baker.  I just don’t think Hurts is THAT good.  But he will be solid and OU has a shot at another playoff run/XII title.  

Right.

I really am not denigrating Hurts at all. As far as I can tell, he isn't a worthless piece of shit like Baker Mayfield, or an entitled titty baby like Kyler Murray. I think he's a very good runner who needs to improve his passing game. Lincoln Riley can help him with that a lot. I also think we can give him plenty to think about.