The 50 Best Sports Movies of All Time

Hagbard Celine

Make sure you are sitting down.  And for full-aggy effect, scroll down and start at the #1 spot and scroll up.  I've never seen a list with which I had such massive disagreement, not only in glaring absences, but the placements.  Fuck me.   Seabiscuit is Top 5 and this tard has it at 47.  It's like the Looch 44 of sports movies.

https://www.vulture.com/article/best-sports-movies-ever.html

17 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Make sure you are sitting down.  And for full-aggy effect, scroll down and start at the #1 spot and scroll up.  I've never seen a list with which I had such massive disagreement, not only in glaring absences, but the placements.  Fuck me.   Seabiscuit is Top 5 and this tard has it at 47.  It's like the Looch 44 of sports movies.

https://www.vulture.com/article/best-sports-movies-ever.html

I read a some of it, and just kept getting this vibe that the guy who wrote it was a self-absorbed asshole that was in love with the smell of his own farts, but that he was also deeply insecure that he might have an opinion that won't fit with what the groupthink will be next week. 

Then I noticed the site was for New York magazine. Explained everything. As with most lists, this one said more about the author than the movies. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Is The Hustler a sports movie?

If The Color of Money is, then The Hustler is.  It depends if you consider pool a sport.  I have no problem with Rocky being in the top 10, as it did win the Best Picture Oscar, but it's a pretty shitty list all the way around. 

Edited by idigTexas
because you touch yourself

3 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

None of the Top 10 should be in Top 10. Neither should Seabiscuit. 

Top 20 had 3 that should have been there, and that’s it. This is terrible, this list. 

No offense, but you couldn't be more wrong. Unless your idea of "sports films" involves guys being repeatedly hit in the nuts by a round object.

Raging Bull is one of the greatest films ever made. It's moviemaking at its highest art form. The fact that boxing is subtext to the greater story might be worthy of debate, but it's a perfect film. 

The guys is more of a movie critic than a sports fan. His list looks like it. His top 10 aren't the top 10 sports films, they are his top 10 films that are about sports.

I can't disagree with his documentaries, those are all top notch. If you haven't seen them, watch them.

Meh, whatever, guy made a list, agree or disagree.

17 hours ago, ztejas said:

Oh and Remember the Titans nowhere to be found in the top 20. 

On further look, Remeber the Titans didn't make the list. Neither did Invictus. 

Is The Hustler a sports movie?

Pool is a game. It a sport.  The Hustler is a top list movie just for being the Hustler.

2 hours ago, HornsOverIthaca said:

Tom Hanks and Geena Davis were excellent, and it's a good movie. 

Madonna and Rosie O'Donnell?  SHIT SANDWICH.

I'll say it -- that movie was so good that Rosie O'Donnell was good in it.  

And Madonna?  You have a problem with this?

madonna-a-league-of-their-own-1992-BPE3E

2 hours ago, HornsOverIthaca said:

A League of their Own is not a top 10.

Disagree.  I watched it again last month after Penny Marshall died.  That movie is nearly perfect. Everyone was good in it, there are no bad scenes, and Madonna and Geena Davis look more like baseball players than Corbin Bernsen did in Major League.  

• Like 2

On 2/2/2019 at 4:32 PM, Covri said:

The Sandlot didn’t make the top 50 so list is invalid.

Este. And Bull Durham isn't the best baseball movie,. Hell, imho it's not even a 'baseball movie' so much as a chick flick with a baseball backdrop.

On 2/2/2019 at 7:51 PM, GhostOfTomJoad said:

No offense, but you couldn't be more wrong. Unless your idea of "sports films" involves guys being repeatedly hit in the nuts by a round object.

Raging Bull is one of the greatest films ever made. It's moviemaking at its highest art form. The fact that boxing is subtext to the greater story might be worthy of debate, but it's a perfect film. 

This right here ^^^^^^^^^

Raging Bull is not only the greatest sports movie ever made but one of the best movies period in my opinion.

De Niro's finest performance.