2018 Beer

HenryJames

Mosaic hops (well hops in general) are highly variable from season to season, from grower to grower, and from region to region. Its not unfounded that a beer, particularly a SMaSH beer would be pretty far ranging in flavor. A lot of brewers are going away from listing a beer's hops and just noting the characteristics overall. 

Don't buy aged beer. 

Edited by Bottlecap

Yellow Rose, or any other IPA, the fresher the better.   Talking 2 weeks or less if you can.  YR doesn't really age well.  And the inconsistency I've seen has been more in the nose of the beer.  I can't tell if it's poor QC on the brewhouse's part, or if the hops are just differing throughout the year.  I can't imagine it's easy trying to procure quality hops year round with the same alphas from the same region, etc.

Went to Back Pew in Houston on Saturday.  Had a great time.  They had a helluva selection on tap that day, more than 20 I would guess.   The 4-5 I had were all pretty decent.  They had some funky ones though that were quirky and interesting but would not be able to finish a six pack of.  One with rye, one with rice, a bourbon barrel stout with coconut cream pie.  That last one was way too sweet for my tastes.

So they made a Gose?

TBH, i've been kinda wanting to try their summer sampler pack, but i know that everything will taste a little bit off from a good brewery. Mango kolsch sounds fucking good in theory though. Let us know when one of you inevitably buys it how average it is. TIA

Generally favor ambers and Vienna style lagers, but I’ve been on a porter kick lately. Some great ones as of late:

OHB Vanilla

512 Pecan (well, been a fav for a while now)

And this new discovery if you ever find yourself in the Carolinas.

58d97bc8c916554507ca2f4bddb4cd68.jpg

And on the amber side, St Arnold Spring Bock is a recent fav

Someone brought over La Frontera from BBB the other day, definitely getting another 6-er of that.  
And for you, [mention=882]nivek3[/mention], Yellow Rose is straight Mosaic and Pilsen hops.  I don't get the grapefruit much at all, just a damn good SMaSH IPA.  Unless you're saying you were getting Grapefruited while drinking the beer, then my hats off to you. 
I don't get grapefruit either, more of an orangy/pineapple, but definitely more sweet than bitter. These juicy style IPAs have officially won me over; I almost have to force myself to order anything else these days.

Agree about the YR consistency issues mentioned by others. I've had a couple of bottles that were decent but not mind blowing. I've had a couple of others that I could be convinced were the GOAT.

Brazos Valley High Noon at BB Rovers. Not as good as Willin' or Lost Highway but still pretty good. Would have been better if it'd been a couple or three degrees cooler. This seems to be a recurring problem at Rovers.

7231a01feed9972ca28a566868f12849.jpg

On 4/7/2018 at 10:26 PM, mdleast said:

Tastes just like I remember it tasting in the 90s.

501e7ec09c80902cf3ea3c9dcdb021ba.jpg

On 4/8/2018 at 4:44 PM, Bottlecap said:

Celis raspberry didnt used to be pink did it? I remember it being golden. But I've done a lot of beer since then, so i could be misremembering.

On 4/8/2018 at 6:20 PM, utee94 said:

Always pink

I remember it having a pinkish tone but not as dark as it looks in that picture.  But I didn't drink much of the raspberry back then and when I did it was likely from the bottle.  I haven't had one of the revivals yet.

Welp, for anyone interested, Decker Lake supermarket has 12s of Devils Backbone for 8.99 until they figure out they fucked up. Ran in on the way home from golf, had them price check it because honestly Saturday morning me didn’t want it to be true.

Edited by Hank_Hill

Phat, do you know what time teams will have crawfish ready today? Is it right when you open at 11?

Gotta coordinate nap time for the little ones. 

i can’t say with any real certainty. all the teams are kind of on their own schedules. most have already been out here a couple hours though, so i would think some crawfish should be ready to go.
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Welp, for anyone interested, Decker Lake supermarket has 12s of Devils Backbone for 8.99 until they figure out they fucked up. Ran in on the way home from golf, had them price check it because honestly Saturday morning me didn’t want it to be true.

Mi cabeza

• Like 1