School walkouts, in general

former alkie

I think this topic belongs in current events, instead of politics.

On school walkouts in general, are there any topics/subjects/movements where you would support your kid(s) participation?

I have 2 daughters (15,12), and I advised them I’d support them during a walkout against SAT/ACT’s.....and animal rights (although not really school related).

Otherwise, they need to stay in class, and see if they can get extra credit for sweeping, grading papers, etc...

Just want to see where other parents stand.

It's not my place to judge what they are passionate about but to give them the tools to decide the right way to demonstrate that passion. Sometimes it may be walking out, sometimes it may be staying put.  As long as they are standing up for what they personally believe and not just for appearances to peers/parents/etc, I would be okay with it.

Edited by CooterBrown
  • Like 1

On school walkouts in general, are there any topics/subjects/movements where you would support your kid(s) participation?
I have 2 daughters (15,12), and I advised them I’d support them during a walkout against SAT/ACT’s.....and animal rights (although not really school related).
Otherwise, they need to stay in class, and see if they can get extra credit for sweeping, grading papers, etc...
What's the deal with SATs? I haven't heard why people would be protesting.

5 minutes ago, fuggled said:
24 minutes ago, former alkie said:

Ha, that’s just an issue I wish kids would protest.  STAAR tests too.

Kind of selfish on my part.....I’m a GPA guy, not a standardized test guy.

That's all good, but you know a lot of them are going to walk just to get out of class & have fun. Those kids probably could care less what the cause is.

But if they are truly passionate about a cause, they should be well educated on both sides of the issue - and don't allow either one (adult advocates) to manipulate them with one-sided talking points.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's all good, but you know a lot of them are going to walk just to get out of class & have fun. Those kids probably could care less what the cause is.
But if they are truly passionate about a cause, they should be well educated on both sides of the issue - and don't allow either one (adult advocates) to manipulate them with one-sided talking points.
This is my thing. If my daughters want to protest something, anything, that's fine, but 1) they damn sure better believe it and work for it in some way other than just walking out (write our congressman, volunteer, give up some allowance); and 2) they're going to listen to me or someone play devils advocate when we talk about it so they can know what they believe and why.
  • Like 1

On 3/30/2018 at 12:50 PM, PatrickMcHorn said:
On 3/30/2018 at 10:02 AM, Armybrat said:

This is my thing. If my daughters want to protest something, anything, that's fine, but 1) they damn sure better believe it and work for it in some way other than just walking out (write our congressman, volunteer, give up some allowance); and 2) they're going to listen to me or someone play devils advocate when we talk about it so they can know what they believe and why.

This is fair. I don’t believe in just walking out/whining/being offended as a solution. I think encouragement and constructive argumentation through proof, debate, and face to face communication is a must. I’m very curious as to how many students are passionate about standardized testing.

On 3/30/2018 at 11:02 AM, Armybrat said:

This is exactly how I feel. I hope my kids are passionate about things, but I am not a fan of kids (99% who do not have the understanding or wisdom of a nuanced political issue) either doing it during school time or possibly being used as an emotional pawn by ideologically driven adults. 

Youth is for being passionate about sometimes stupid things. I say let them have at it. 

I don't even have a problem with people walking out just to be part of the scene. There's an education there too. They'll probably remember more from the walkout than whatever subject they would have slept through.

If a school finds kids are abusing the process just to regularly blow off class, they can find ways to discourage that, but I think that complaint is overblown and has more to the content of the protests. 

Let the kids learn the political process and the value and consequences of taking a stand.

One of my kids participated in one of the walk outs.   We had previously talked about the issue extensively so I knew he had a decent understanding of it and a clear opinion about ideas for change  he wanted to bring attention to, as well as the reasons the other side thinks his ideas are stupid.   After talking with several of his friends after the walk out I was pleasantly surprised how well informed they were as well. I’m not saying they could sit out there and win a debate on national TV about it, but they are much more aware and educated about current events than me most of my friends were in middle school.   Those of you yelling at clouds and bitching that  kids just want out of class and that they know nothing about what they’re protesting are pretty much doing the same thing unless you’ve chatted  with a few of these kids yourself. 

And even if  I didn’t like it, my kid has cumulatively missed more class while taking a shit during 4th period than he missed the day of the protests.   The missing school part is a complete non-issue.   You’d be surprised how much time in school is spent on non-academic tasks.   They didn’t miss anything that’s not easily caught up on at home that day  

The principal at our school was clearly proud of the kids who walked out that day as well as those who stayed. He made time in homeroom classes that week to have discussions about both sides of the issue. From what I heard, he spent part of that day walking through classrooms and  thanking those who stayed behind for their dedication to the classroom and spent another part of the day outside smiling next to the students who were chanting.  Kids have different opinions and he was happy to let them all exercise them that day.

4 hours ago, Whitman said:

This is exactly how I feel. I hope my kids are passionate about things, but I am not a fan of kids (99% who do not have the understanding or wisdom of a nuanced political issue) either doing it during school time or possibly being used as an emotional pawn by ideologically driven adults. 

It's laughable to call out kids for not having "the understanding or wisdom of a nuanced political issue" when virtually no adults possess those qualities either. 

I think kids should walk out for causes they support, they should be prepared to pay the consequences.  Be that unexcused absence, suspension or grades.  I don’t think those consequences should be petty or capricious.  Also, the school shouldn’t sanction/endorse or excuse the walk out.

Can be a damn fine life lesson.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

AISD students that participate in a school walk out will receive an unexcused absence as long as it’s peaceful. Staff will not supervise students when they are off campus. Staff can not promote or publicize the event but can participate. It will count against their leave balance.

Seems reasonable to me.

I fully support walkouts and I fully support the there being consequences to said walkouts. Learning to stand up for what you believe in is an important lesson, but it won't be learned if there is nothing to stand up against. If every student gets a free pass to walk out by the school administration then it's not really a walkout, it's a glorified fire drill. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I fully support walkouts and I fully support the there being consequences to said walkouts. Learning to stand up for what you believe in is an important lesson, but it won't be learned if there is nothing to stand up against. If every student gets a free pass to walk out by the school administration then it's not really a walkout, it's a glorified fire drill. 

It's a damned if you do, damned if you don't thing for administrators. There is no one solution that everybody will think is appropriate. I feel that there should be some consequence to it but lets not ruin a kids academic standing or behavior record over walking out of class peacefully for a while. 

I'm fine with my kids doing some form of protest if  ... 

-  it's from the heart, and they aren't just trying to get out of class

- they really know what they are protesting for/against and can form a cogent response when asked about it

- they're going to take it seriously and not be pussies

My kids go to Small MS. The day they had their big walkout a few weeks ago, I had to pick one of them up early for a dentist appointment. I drive up and see all these 'protesting' kids hanging out, playing, horseplaying outside the front doors. Not much sign of a protest or anything serious at all. They were just fucking off and/or trying to get on TV. I asked my boys if they had wanted to do the protest, and they both gave me answers like "No, I had work to do" or "No, I didn't want to miss class", and "Those guys are clueless and just want a way out of class". On our way out, the office personnel had to get onto the 'protestors' to keep them  from coming through the office repeatedly. The kids said they wanted to 'protest inside in the hall because it's so cold'. No shit. Office personnel basically said "In or out. If you're protesting, then stay out. If you come in, you're going back to class." /csb

They also had kids saying they were going out to protest, and then they'd just leave school, or they'd go off to some other part of the grounds and fuck off. It's a big problem for the school personnel, because they can't keep track of all the kids, yet they're held responsible if something goes wrong, and some parents throw a fit if they aren't allowed to protest. Some of the questions on the email today about the upcoming protest were beyond ridiculous, and I guarantee they came straight from parents.

Edited by wood
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I don't disagree with a student walking out, but I was their age too once and I know that if there was "walk out" where there going to be zero repercussions, I probably would have joined to just get out of a class for a day.  To pretend that all the kids walking out are passionate social activists who care deeply about the cause, is giving them a bit too much credit.  I'd also be fine with my kids suffering whatever consequences of their walk out.  

1 hour ago, Lhorn said:

I don't disagree with a student walking out, but I was their age too once and I know that if there was "walk out" where there going to be zero repercussions, I probably would have joined to just get out of a class for a day.  To pretend that all the kids walking out are passionate social activists who care deeply about the cause, is giving them a bit too much credit.  I'd also be fine with my kids suffering whatever consequences of their walk out.  

Yes, walking out should go on their permanent record.  Follow them thru life. 

It's possible kids today aren't as shitty as you were as a kid

7 hours ago, Michael Knight said:
8 hours ago, Lhorn said:

It's possible kids today aren't as shitty as you were as a kid

Possibly, but not likely.

On 3/30/2018 at 9:31 AM, fuggled said:
On 3/30/2018 at 9:12 AM, former alkie said:

Those tests are culturally biased

Talked with my 12 year old about it last month when all the walkouts were happening.  Told him if he believes in something and knows the issue then I don't have a problem with it and will support him, even if I disagree with him on the issue. Told him that he also needs to be aware of the consequences and accept them fully(unexcused absence, 0 on a grade, suspension, etc...).  I did tell him that I will get pissed is if he does it and is fucking around and not taking it seriously.  He then looked at me and said "Yeah, because if you are fucking around then you make the issue trivial and observers don't think the issue is a big deal".  Guess I have done something right, or maybe that was his mom? (no pics)

11 hours ago, Lhorn said:

That's why I took the ASVAB, just to get out of class.

On 4/1/2018 at 3:53 PM, Chuychanga said:

One of my kids participated in one of the walk outs.   We had previously talked about the issue extensively so I knew he had a decent understanding of it and a clear opinion about ideas for change  he wanted to bring attention to, as well as the reasons the other side thinks his ideas are stupid.   After talking with several of his friends after the walk out I was pleasantly surprised how well informed they were as well. I’m not saying they could sit out there and win a debate on national TV about it, but they are much more aware and educated about current events than me most of my friends were in middle school.   Those of you yelling at clouds and bitching that  kids just want out of class and that they know nothing about what they’re protesting are pretty much doing the same thing unless you’ve chatted  with a few of these kids yourself. 

And even if  I didn’t like it, my kid has cumulatively missed more class while taking a shit during 4th period than he missed the day of the protests.   The missing school part is a complete non-issue.   You’d be surprised how much time in school is spent on non-academic tasks.   They didn’t miss anything that’s not easily caught up on at home that day  

The principal at our school was clearly proud of the kids who walked out that day as well as those who stayed. He made time in homeroom classes that week to have discussions about both sides of the issue. From what I heard, he spent part of that day walking through classrooms and  thanking those who stayed behind for their dedication to the classroom and spent another part of the day outside smiling next to the students who were chanting.  Kids have different opinions and he was happy to let them all exercise them that day.

this is a good post. i genuinely think that kids today are far more woke than we were. they have their issues as well, but so did we.

I agree that teens, in general, are much more aware of the bigger picture than prior generations, but they're still kids.  And their brains are still as undeveloped as ours were at that age.  I don't adhere to the idea that kids should only speak when spoken to, but somewhere between that and the "from the mouths of babes" fallacy has to be the right spot.   

At the individual level, I wouldn't be bothered by either of my kids walking out if they felt strongly about an issue, but looking at the larger picture I think teenagers should mostly shut up and do what they're told because they're not yet physically capable of rational thought.  

I let my daughter (15) and son (14) go down to the capitol building today.  She is much more in tune with the movement, and is pretty articulate in her support for it.  He mostly wants to get out of school.

I am not worried about her, I know where she stands and that she can hold her own with just about any adult on that or pretty much any other topic.  I told my son that tonight we are going to have a long talk about what he saw, what he heard, how he feels about it.  Regardless of my feelings on the matter (I support moderate change in our laws) I plan on playing Devil's Advocate and pushing back to see where he goes.  We'll definitely take a look at the 2nd Amendment and talk about what it may or may not mean, and why there is so much debate about it.  He's a good kid, he is very empathetic, he's just an immature dumbass and I figure this is a chance for him to see what can happen if the people put their heads together.  My main concern is that he needs to see both sides of the story, which he won't get at today's rallies.

On 4/19/2018 at 1:32 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yes, walking out should go on their permanent record.  Follow them thru life. 

At Any reasonably school the consequences would be minimal.  A single unexcused absence is not going to keep a kid from getting into college (do colleges even look at attendance records?)  For skipping a class first timer will probably get a warning, maybe a lunch or afternoon detention.  That's it.  

19 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

In general, I agree but I think this one kept gun violence and school shootings in the news longer than the typical school shooting cycle. Who knows if any change will come of it. 

Which has done nothing.  Congress has done nothing.  States that weren't doing anything already, continue to do nothing.  There was a shooting at a school in Florida today even.  Barely a blurb about it.  Luckily no deaths though.  In fact, shootings are now so expected that they're only judged by their death rate.

On 4/20/2018 at 6:25 PM, FondrenRoad said:

Which has done nothing.  Congress has done nothing.  States that weren't doing anything already, continue to do nothing.  There was a shooting at a school in Florida today even.  Barely a blurb about it.  Luckily no deaths though.  In fact, shootings are now so expected that they're only judged by their death rate.

School shootings are not increasing per this article from NPR. There is increased coverage. 

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/15/593831564/the-disconnect-between-perceived-danger-in-u-s-schools-and-reality

• Like 1

It’s good to see that studied and written about. I’ve often said we are living in the safest time in history. A smartphone in every pocket with instant notification of “breaking news!!” 17 times a day can easily lead everyone to believe otherwise. 

It’s the same with other social issues too. Racism, gender bias, prejudices on sexuality, and all the other social issues being battled over are all pretty much at an all-time low.   That’s not to say there isn’t still more work to be done and improvements to be made, nor should we stop trying, but there has never been a better time to be alive on this earth. Life is good and getting better every year. 

• Like 1