Jump to content
Goo Punch

Rick Barnes thread

Recommended Posts

On 1/26/2020 at 2:15 PM, CurlyDumps said:

We won the SWC 13 times between 1950 and 1955. 

Is that a lot? That seems like a lot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who still goes by Rivals recruiting rankings? 247 is universally regarded as the most accurate in that field. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Really?  Because a page ago, you got all giddy because TN beat two SEC teams that were o-fer in SEC wins.  A few days later, Barnes shits the floor against a team that even FUCKING SHAKA SMART BEAT!!! and you blame the roster...... of the coach that has been there for 5 years.  You're a caricature.

man, those are some serious mental gymnastics on display there. you take your own warped view of whatever i say and then run with it, and then try and put it on me. the post i made a page ago about was Tennessee's team defense over the course of this season *despite having such a terrible roster*. the entire post was predicated on the job they've done *with such a shitty roster*. not to mention that all i've been talking about is what an undermanned/patchwork roster they have since Turner left the team. but yeah, what a total 180 i did there when i mentioned the shitty roster again on the next page! the fuck outta here. 

Edited by Goo Punch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oh, and re the rest of your brilliant post, A)mentioning their defense in their last two games = "being giddy" over it? yeah, you invented that in your own mind.

and re: your all caps LOST TO A TEAM THAT SHAKA SMART BEAT, i thought you were being intentionally lazy and obtuse the first time you brought that up, just as a way to keep the argument going. but you're actually serious. what are you, fucking cameltoe? even after that embarrassing loss Barnes and his terrible roster are STILL BETTER THAN SHAKA AND HIS MUCH MORE TALENTED TEXAS ROSTER, all caps. So what's your fucking point?

Edited by Goo Punch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Who still goes by Rivals recruiting rankings? 247 is universally regarded as the most accurate in that field. 

okie dokie then.

247 Tennessee recruiting rankings-

2015- 

Lamonte Turner- 144 in the country 

Admiral Schofield- 251

Shembari Phillips- 261

Kyle Alexander- 362

 

Class Rank- 60 national, 11 SEC

 

2016-

Jordan Bone- 171

Kwe Parker- 173

Grant Williams- 191

John Fulkerson- 238

Jordan Bowden- 262

 

Class rank- 49 national, 7 SEC

 

Those two classes just went 57-15 over the last two seasons, won an SEC title, and reached the no.1 ranking in the country for the second time in school history. Not a single player ranked better than 144 in his senior class. And you sit here and try to refute the idea that he's been working with talent that no big programs even wanted. y'all sit in here and contend that he isn't killing it at Tennessee. laughable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

let's see what ole 247 says about Tennessee's upcoming 2020 recruiting class:

Jaden Springer- 5 star SG, #16 nationally, 0.9943

Keon Johnson- 5 star SG, #23 nationally, 0.9926

Corey Walker- 4 star PF, #56 nationally, 0.9794

Rank- 6 national, 3 SEC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

not true. well, ok, by today's standards where literally everyone gets three stars, sure. But it wasn't always like that, and the players who Barnes has been winning with are the guys who used to get 2 stars or zero stars. look at Grant Williams, the two time All American and back to back SEC player of the year. He was literally not even ranked by Rivals, but he's a "3 star recruit" now. Check out his recruiting list:

edit: amazing. apparently i've reached my image upload limit for the month on tapatalk? and now they want me to pay them to upload more images. fuck that noise.

bottom line is this- Williams was going to Hampton- that's right, Hampton, before Barnes offered him at Tennessee. He was also being pursued by Mercer, Appalachian State, and Maryland Eastern Shore. That is a zero star recruit all day long, even if they now give everyone a 3 star participation trophy. Same goes for Admiral Schofield, who was a fat tweener in HS who was headed to U of Wisconsin Green Bay before being offered by Barnes. That's another 2-star recruit at best who ended up as an All American and early entry NBA guy.

to Helobious and everyone else here who doesn't follow Barnes, Tennessee, or their players *at all*, don't go do a fucking google search and then act like you have a clue what you're talking about. you don't. 

No one "follows" Tennessee you mindless dolt. This is a fucking Texas Longhorns board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Is that a lot? That seems like a lot. 

Probably not to someone who thinks Rick Barnes massively underachieved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grant Williams is getting some run and having a great 2Q for the Celtics right now. It's unbelievable how far this guy has come since he stepped on campus in Knoxville.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Williams in 17 minutes: 4 pts, 5 reb (2 oreb), 3 ast, 2 stl. He was also +14 in plus/minus, second best in the game. I just continue to be so impressed with how far he's come. He definitely seems like he's going to have a role in this league for a very long time, and yet I probably would have picked Schofield or even Jordan Bone to be most ready/longest tenured of that group of Vols. Great stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tennessee's defense continues to be very impressive despite the team losing essentially everyone of import from last year's team followed by losing their starting back court from this season to injury. In their latest road win vs Bama they came back from down 15 to not only win, but to hold the #4 scoring team in the country to 14 points below their season average (including a meaningless Bama three at the buzzer). Despite their roster being annihilated, the Vols are:

 

•The no.1 scoring defense in the SEC

•39th nationally in AdjD

•20th in effective FG%

•15th in 2p FG%

•9th in block %

 

I've never seen a team lose so many players only to remain this competitive in a really tough conference. Never. This is easily one of Barnes' best coaching jobs of his career to this point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They're not even on the bubble, dude.

At least this year TN fans won't be subjected to Barnes's usual "do well in January/February, suck ass in March" routine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Can we talk about Shaka and how he needs to be fired on this thread?

I hope so, because we had a dedicated thread for talking about our current head coach and.... it's closed?

"Some people keep speeding on Manchaca Road, so Manchaca Road is now closed to traffic". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2020 at 10:16 PM, Goo Punch said:

Tennessee's defense continues to be very impressive despite the team losing essentially everyone of import from last year's team followed by losing their starting back court from this season to injury. In their latest road win vs Bama they came back from down 15 to not only win, but to hold the #4 scoring team in the country to 14 points below their season average (including a meaningless Bama three at the buzzer). Despite their roster being annihilated, the Vols are:

 

•The no.1 scoring defense in the SEC

•39th nationally in AdjD

•20th in effective FG%

•15th in 2p FG%

•9th in block %

 

I've never seen a team lose so many players only to remain this competitive in a really tough conference. Never. This is easily one of Barnes' best coaching jobs of his career to this point. 

Yes, Barnes can coach unlike fraud Shaka.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Goddammit Derka.  

Can we talk about Shaka and how he needs to be fired on this thread?

Haha I was going to post something similar to this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rick is currently tied with Mississippi State in conference and is one game ahead of Texas A&M and Alabama.  He is currently on a 1-game winning streak.  His team features left-handed Kurt Rambis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2020 at 10:16 PM, Goo Punch said:

Tennessee's defense continues to be very impressive despite the team losing essentially everyone of import from last year's team followed by losing their starting back court from this season to injury. In their latest road win vs Bama they came back from down 15 to not only win, but to hold the #4 scoring team in the country to 14 points below their season average (including a meaningless Bama three at the buzzer). Despite their roster being annihilated, the Vols are:

 

•The no.1 scoring defense in the SEC

•39th nationally in AdjD

•20th in effective FG%

•15th in 2p FG%

•9th in block %

 

I've never seen a team lose so many players only to remain this competitive in a really tough conference. Never. This is easily one of Barnes' best coaching jobs of his career to this point. 

Really tough conference? It's the worst of the P6.

https://www.masseyratings.com/cb/compare.htm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure there is something that is more pointless than arguing with Derka about Rick Barnes, but I can't think of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's a great coach compared to Shaka. Just don't compare him to most everybody else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Michael Knight said:

Barnes is doing an amazing job staying competitive with the shitty roster Barnes assembled 

Bingo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Which was a worse decision: @immamac locking the main Texas basketball discussion thread for a week cause he was annoyed at 5 posts or something, or Rex Kramer doubling down on his laughable Coleman take?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Really tough conference? It's the worst of the P6.
https://www.masseyratings.com/cb/compare.htm


I admit I haven't been following the SEC as closely this year, but I was basing my statement off of looking at Tennessee's schedule. 10 conference games against teams in the top 50, including five in a row to end the season. maybe the bottom of the conference sucks real bad as usual, but I believe a win in any of these ten games is a quad 1 win, yes? either way, it's a pretty tough schedule.

cd18940dc31489a6ee6169aae3b7d965.jpg





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Deej said:

He's a great coach compared to Shaka. Just don't compare him to most everybody else.

lol, yeah, uh, a guy who's going to retire with 800+ wins (might even approach 1,000) while winning 2/3 of his career games is going to compare favorably to 85-90% coaches who've ever coached at the top level, but good call. 

Edited by Goo Punch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

Barnes is doing an amazing job staying competitive with the shitty roster Barnes assembled 

as has been mentioned ad nauseam, the roster became unexpectedly shitty after an injury crisis, coupled with Barnes coaching up multiple guys who were outside the national top 150-250 and turning them into early entry NBA draft guys. Tennessee now has two five stars and a high four star committed for next year, rated as the no.6 class in the country. don't act like every single person here doesn't wish Texas was in the exact same position. 

Edited by Goo Punch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Which was a worse decision: @immamac locking the main Texas basketball discussion thread for a week cause he was annoyed at 5 posts or something, or Rex Kramer doubling down on his laughable Coleman take?

both were pretty gay, but imo it's hard to top rex flying into a thread in a totally manic state, giving constant and repeated hot takes on stuff he doesn't even follow, much less know anything about. 

Edited by Goo Punch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, look, Derka can't say what he wants to say in one post. Needs to dominate a thread by posting continuously.  Shocked.

Psycho. 

Edited by Deej

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Deej said:

Hey, look, Derka can't say what he wants to say in one post. Needs to dominate a thread by posting continuously.  Shocked.

Psycho. 

1)i merely responded to posts that had been made since the last time i visited the thread 

2)immortal made about 17 consecutive posts in the FSS thread yesterday which led to it getting locked, and you cheered him on while he did it, so again, quit pretending like you even believe the bullshit you type

3)you follow me around whining about me while never making a single substantive post, so you're just about the last person (aside from immortal, rex kramer, and herpa derpa) to talk here

4) @immamac said that he "sweatergawd" he would ban anyone in this specific thread who wasn't posting about the thread subject. that's you. here's to hoping immamac wasn't lying.

Edited by Goo Punch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you're getting @'ed because you said you would ban people who are doing what deej is doing, and because you locked the FSS instead of banning immortal for insane amounts of shit posting. if you followed through on what you said you would do/what's supposed to happen to people who serially shit-post then there would be no @'ing. just saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

1)i merely responded to posts that had been made since the last time i visited the thread 

2)immortal made about 17 consecutive posts in the FSS thread yesterday which led to it getting locked, and you cheered him on while he did it, so again, quit pretending like you even believe the bullshit you type

3)you follow me around whining about me while never making a single substantive post, so you're just about the last person (aside from immortal, rex kramer, and herpa derpa) to talk here

4) @immamac said that he "sweatergawd" he would ban anyone in this specific thread who wasn't posting about the thread subject. that's you. here's to hoping immamac wasn't lying.

200.gif

Oh, and Derka, no one is doing anything you aren't constantly doing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

you're getting @'ed because you said you would ban people who are doing what deej is doing, and because you locked the FSS instead of banning immortal for insane amounts of shit posting. if you followed through on what you said you would do/what's supposed to happen to people who serially shit-post then there would be no @'ing. just saying.

Do you realize that you are doing the exact thing you are accusing me of? Psycho

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2020 at 4:25 PM, immamac said:

Stop @ ing me. And stop talking about this shit in 3 different threads. Like wtf. 

you'd be getting a lot less signal noise if you'd have just given the specific people annoying you the week off rather than giving it to the entire thread. Barking Carnival just threw in the towel tonight on Smart's tenure, which would be a pretty good topic for discussion under the umbrella of "Fire Shaka Smart". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

you'd be getting a lot less signal noise if you'd have just given the specific people annoying you the week off rather than giving it to the entire thread. Barking Carnival just threw in the towel tonight on Smart's tenure, which would be a pretty good topic for discussion under the umbrella of "Fire Shaka Smart". 

Wait, they hadn’t thrown it in before tonight? This shit has been over for weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Wait, they hadn’t thrown it in before tonight? This shit has been over for weeks.

They're "the rationals" in case you hadn't heard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah we're talking about BitterWhiteGuy here. The only differences between him and Wescott Eberts are temperament, vocabulary, and loquaciousness. WE is an absolute moron on par with cameltoe. BWG is not a moron, however he has a serious complex when it comes to admitting that Shaka Smart might not be doing a great job, and/or that he's responsible for any of his own failures. don't forget that coming into this season BWG claimed that no other coach we could have hired would be doing better than Shaka was through his first four years. totally delusional. which is why him finally admitting that Shaka gots to go is seen as somewhat of a bad sign for Mr.Smart.

Edited by Goo Punch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Up 17 on auburn. Gave up 18-0 run. Lol

Auburn rallies past Vols; fan tossed for derogatory comment

AP     1:29 p.m. CST Feb. 22, 2020

AUBURN, Ala. (AP) — Samir Doughty scored 22 points and No. 13 Auburn rallied from a 17-point deficit in the second half to beat Tennessee 73-66 on Saturday, a game marred by an ugly incident involving a fan.

A student was ejected from the game after directing a derogatory comment toward Tennessee's Santiago Vescovi and will face a disciplinary hearing, an Auburn official said. The fan was overheard on TV calling out, “Go back to Uruguay! This is America!"

Auburn stopped a two-game skid. Led by Doughty's hot streak, the Tigers (23-4, 10-4 Southeastern Conference) scored 18 consecutive points to spark the comeback against the Volunteers (15-12, 7-7).  Jordan Bowden scored a career-high 28 points and made 3 of 4 3-pointers for the Vols. Vescovi had 10 points.  The Vols rode a 13-2 run capped by Bowden's jumper to a 54-37 lead with 14:31 left. Then Auburn scored the next 18 points, including 10 by Doughty, to go ahead 55-54.

Devan Cambridge's 3-pointer with 1:38 left gave Auburn a 67-64 lead. The teams traded baskets after that before the Tigers forced a turnover.  McCormick and Doughty each hit two free throws in the final 23 seconds and Auburn scored the game's final six points.  Doughty scored 14 points in the second half and no other Auburn player reached double digits for the game. It was the Tigers' third straight game without star freshman Isaac Okoro (pulled right hamstring), and they lost the first two by double digits on the road.  Bowden had 17 points in the first half and was perfect from the field and free-throw line before halftime. He had been 7 of 35 from 3-point range (20%) over the last seven games.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Lulz.  I saw the score at half, then noticed this thread had been bumped.  Assumed Derka was on here to gloat.

lol yeah, because bumping this thread to gloat is my MO. 🙄 what is there to even "gloat" about anyway? every time Tennessee loses to some team they're supposed to lose to one of *you* guys bump the thread to gloat. "lulz, Barnes sucks." 

Tennessee sssuuuccckkkksssss this year. i follow them more closely than all of you combined. i expect them to lose every game that isn't against Vandy. them losing on the road to Auburn moves my needle zero percent, and winning there wouldn't have meant much to me either. it's a totally lost season for Barnes. but don't let that stop you from being all concerned about me every saturday afternoon. 

Edited by Goo Punch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

lol yeah, because bumping this thread to gloat is my MO. 🙄 what is there to even "gloat" about anyway? every time Tennessee loses to some team they're supposed to lose to one of *you* guys bump the thread to gloat. "lulz, Barnes sucks." 

Tennessee sssuuuccckkkksssss this year. i follow them more closely than all of you combined. i expect them to lose every game that isn't against Vandy. them losing on the road to Auburn moves my needle zero percent, and winning there wouldn't have meant much to me either. it's a totally lost season for Barnes. but don't let that stop you from being all concerned about me every saturday afternoon. 

Calm down basketball board martyr.  I meant it in a neutral way as in, "I've been telling y'all he's done a great job with very little this year ... and bringing down Auburn on the road ... pretty impressive".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

YOU DONT TELL ME TO CALM DOWN. IM DERKA DERKA. IM A MAN. ILL CALM MYSELF DOWN WHEN I GODDAMN WELL FEEL LIKE IT. 

 

 

 

 

which coincidentally happens to be right now and has nothing to do with you telling me to calm down. i just want to make that clear. 

Edited by Goo Punch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...