Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

The top priority should be building a winning program as soon as possible. The arena opening should not play a role.

Don't disagree, but the Texas athletic department doesn't always work like that. I don't like it, but I think it's a distinct possibility. Business is business. I'm preparing for another year of Shaka, and if he gets canned, all the better.

Edited by BradInATX

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Ah we have hit the silly season for coaching changes. When Texas will dick slap the elite coaches with money and prestige of TEXAS. 

The problem is twofold:

1.) we don’t have an opening.

2.) our fan base is so removed from basketball they think hiring for this sport is equivalent to football.

3.) CDC, if you’re reading this, I can be your assistant.  This job isn’t as difficult as people make it out to be and is mostly common sense. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Living legends change jobs for various reasons. It happens in football and other sports too. You just have to do a deeper search to find out who may be attainable. We have been experimenting with up and coming coaches for a while and have nothing to show for it. It's better to take the time, explore all options, and pony up the money if you find that one coach who has a very high probability of success.

3 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Living legends change jobs for various reasons. It happens in football and other sports too. You just have to do a deeper search to find out who may be attainable. We have been experimenting with up and coming coaches for a while and have nothing to show for it. It's better to take the time, explore all options, and pony up the money if you find that one coach who has a very high probability of success.

pushing your luck little man soup nazi.gif

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

I am not here for popularity or reps. Texas athletics have been sucking for more than a decade by hiring the next flavor of the month. You succeed in anything in life by making the hard choices and going after it.

I'm not the one that stumbled into this discussion suggesting Texas could hire Tom Izzo.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, VonZipper said:

If the guy CDC is going after is in the tourney, you won't hear anything until his team is done... He won't fire Shaka until he has something definitive from the new coach. I'd like to see them go after Greg McDermott, he's taken a lot of flak for using the P word, plantation, and my be looking to get out of Omaha.

McDermott would be a terrible hire. Plays soft, limited defense. Struggles against middling teams. Flames out in March. Has to have the offense clicking to win games. Doesn’t know how to stop a team on a run. Doesn’t know how to defend strong inside play. Remember how he did at Iowa State? Worst Cyclone teams in decades until Prohm one-upped him this season.  If it was down to Smart and McDermott I would have Smart signed to an extension at a local Ferrari dealership over a surf ‘n turf dinner and apologize for even thinking about McDermott as a replacement. However, McDermott does have better hair so you got me there. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SquishMitten said:

Wat? Pretty sure they justified themselves getting a bid.

not at all. at the time they were decried as the worst at-large bid ever to be let into the tourney. 2011 VCU:

•lost by 10 to a 12-19 Georgia State team ranked #217 in kenpom

•lost by 11 to an 11-20 Northeastern team (#194 in kenpom) ranked #313 in AdjD

•finished its season 3-4 in its final 7 games

•lost their final three home games to James Madison, Old Dominion, and George Mason

•finished 4th in the Colonial Athletic Association

•did not win their conference tourney

how that team was let into the NCAA Tourney is just as befuddling today as it was when it happened, despite VCU's miraculous run to the FF. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Me so horny said:

McDermott would be a terrible hire. Plays soft, limited defense. Struggles against middling teams. Flames out in March. Has to have the offense clicking to win games. Doesn’t know how to stop a team on a run. Doesn’t know how to defend strong inside play. Remember how he did at Iowa State? Worst Cyclone teams in decades until Prohm one-upped him this season.  If it was down to Smart and McDermott I would have Smart signed to an extension at a local Ferrari dealership over a surf ‘n turf dinner and apologize for even thinking about McDermott as a replacement. However, McDermott does have better hair so you got me there. 

This. My dad went to Creighton so I follow them closely. Greg McDermott is ass my dude, and also a dick. With the talent he has had there is no reason for him not to have made a Sweet 16 yet. If his son wasn't the greatest player in school history, Creighton fans would have wanted him out by now. They're basically just Husker fans without the history to fall back on, so you can imagine how annoying that is. I can say that he recruits incredibly well to his system and at least knows how important having shooters is, but he is just as bad of in-game coach as Shaka.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShowMeALoss said:

Why not reach out Tom Izzo? I know it seems like an improbable hire but I think he makes sense for several reasons. He is already in the hall of fame and there is nothing more he can achieve at Michigan State that he already hasn't. His salary is not too high for Texas to beat (not sure about the buyout though). With the rise of Michigan, it will be harder for him to win the Big 10 and losing to Michigan more often than not won't sit well with their fanbase who might see him as someone who is past his prime ala Mack Brown. A fresh start somewhere else can do wonders for him.

he's 66

would have been a great idea 6 years ago

57 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Ah we have hit the silly season for coaching changes. When Texas will dick slap the elite coaches with money and prestige of TEXAS. 

Sure but Shaka still deserves to be shit canned, no? Let his ass walk back from the Midwest, fuck letting him back on the plane 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, achooloco said:

Sure but Shaka still deserves to be shit canned, no? Let his ass walk back from the Midwest, fuck letting him back on the plane 

Oh 100%. But we aren’t getting Tom Izzo

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, Js1 said:

What? You think Izzo, Donovan, Brad Stevens or Jay Wright would say no to us? WE’RE TEXAS!!! MAKE THEM SAY NO!!!!!

9 hours ago, Js1 said:

This. 

There’s no indication CDC will acquiesce to the “woke” crowd and not fire a guy who is 0-3 in the tournament with 3 misses, a losing Big 12 record and 2 pieces of consolation hardware (NIT and conf tournament, not regular season, trophies).

I think he just has to line up the money. I hope a basketball BMD or one of our guys in the league is making the calls today to get the check written. 

7M bucks won't be and issue.  its fucking chump change if we aren't scared or didn't expect that this could be a VERY likely outcome at the start of this season.  It's gonna be hilarious when CDC brings up the Big 12 tournament championship and 3rd place finish to keep him.

50 minutes ago, Pancho said:

The problem is twofold:

1.) we don’t have an opening.

2.) our fan base is so removed from basketball they think hiring for this sport is equivalent to football.

3.) CDC, if you’re reading this, I can be your assistant.  This job isn’t as difficult as people make it out to be and is mostly common sense. 

still waiting for your list.... make 2....

who do you want

who do you want that we can get

6 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

he's 66

would have been a great idea 6 years ago

He was at the top of the game back then and wouldn't be as attainable as he is now imo. We just need a successful coach here for 5 years to build our program. He can groom an assistant to take over once he retires.

When I look at coaching choices, I see the following:

1) Legends that are taking their teams consistently deep in the tournament. Everyone thinks we can't get any of them.

2) Mid tier coaches that have good teams but can't take their team all the way. Do people think they will suddenly take Texas all the way if hired? Most coaches underperform here, not the other way. So you have to ask, what's our goal? Do we want someone who can take us all the way or be happy with being middle of the pack?

3) Coaches that suddenly rise up and make to FF or even win it all. They are popular choices because of the recency bias. We don't really take the time to analyze if what they accomplished in one year will be sustained over the long term and at Texas. IMO these are the worst coaches to hire.

If I am the AD, I hire a consulting firm and ask them to give me 5 names from the top group and tell me what will make them consider Texas. 

• Fuck You 1

18 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

7M bucks won't be and issue.  its fucking chump change if we aren't scared or didn't expect that this could be a VERY likely outcome at the start of this season.  It's gonna be hilarious when CDC brings up the Big 12 tournament championship and 3rd place finish to keep him.

In a normal year with a coach that hasn’t flashed all sorts of ineptitude I’d be fine with considering this a fine year and saying shit happens in the tournament. It’s be a reasonable stance. 
Not for a guy that’s been this bad though. 

14 minutes ago, ShowMeALoss said:

If I am the AD, I hire a consulting firm and ask them to give me 5 names from the top group and tell me what will make them consider Texas. 

Jay Wright, Mark Few, Izzo, Pitino, Self, Calipari, Huggins, Williams, Kryzewsky. Thanks that'll be a few million dollars. Hope you have another job lined up after you get shitcanned in year 1 for wasting a ton of time, money and opportunity cost chasing guys that the University would never consider (Pitino, Huggins, Cal) or that would never consider coming here (literally everyone on the list). Most of those guys wouldn't even pick up the phone. You might have a 5% chance of getting Wright or Few to answer, but they'd almost certainly just use us to get a raise at their current school.

It might be worth calling Jay Wright. He's the only one on the list that makes sense. Izzo is a ridiculous fan fiction notion. He wouldn't even answer the phone for us. The notion that he would even give us the time of day is why people make memes about Texas entitlement. It's absurd.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Pancho said:

Pitino is 68.  He’s already said he’s at his last stop.  At Iona, he doesn’t have to travel far to recruit and Iona will let him do whatever he wants.  That wouldn’t happen at Texas.  

Sampson is 65.  He’s already said UH is his last stop.  When you’re his age and has it rolling, you’re not coming to Texas to rebuild.  UH is a perfect job for someone like Sampson because he can recruit just Houston and UH is easy to get recruits into.  He’s not coming here.

Matta has had health issues and just today has been linked to the INdiana job.  Matta is old. 

This board needs to get out of the past coaches and start thinking of good/great coaches who can build a career here. That isn’t Pitino or Sampson. 

Also, you cannot tell a hire “hey we will hire you to start but you need to hire someone like Royal to eventually pass the program along to him.”  Can you do that to a hire after they’ve been here for a while?  Sure.  But during the interview?  What fucking coach would agree to that. 

exactly.  this is just stupid.  we aren't hiring Royal Ivey and for god's sake we aren't making the coach hire him.  this HCIW shit is dumb, especially  in college.  I can see it in the pro's possibly but not in college.

of course, I'm still betting we keep Shaka.

3 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Jay Wright, Mark Few, Izzo, Pitino, Self, Calipari, Huggins, Williams, Kryzewsky. Thanks that'll be a few million dollars. Hope you have another job lined up after you get shitcanned in year 1 for wasting a ton of time and money chasing guys that the University would never consider (Izzo, Huggins, Cal) or that would never consider coming here (literally everyone on the list). Most of those guys wouldn't even pick up the phone. You might have a 5% chance of getting Wright or Few to answer, but they'd almost certainly just use us to get a raise at their current school.

That's a very defeatist way to approach life. You don't get to hire a coach you don't offer. The key is to understand their individual situation and try to make a case for Texas. Sometimes people move to warmer weather as they get older. There are many such things you can explore but it would require more than a cursory search.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

In year 3, he lost his best player to cancer.

And, it's basketball.

this but add extension and clusterfuck of an ath dept.   This Shaka dude has some epic fucking timing.  everyone needs a little bit of luck to make money.  This guy is on overload.

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

not at all. at the time they were decried as the worst at-large bid ever to be let into the tourney. 2011 VCU:

•lost by 10 to a 12-19 Georgia State team ranked #217 in kenpom

•lost by 11 to an 11-20 Northeastern team (#194 in kenpom) ranked #313 in AdjD

•finished its season 3-4 in its final 7 games

•lost their final three home games to James Madison, Old Dominion, and George Mason

•finished 4th in the Colonial Athletic Association

•did not win their conference tourney

how that team was let into the NCAA Tourney is just as befuddling today as it was when it happened, despite VCU's miraculous run to the FF. 

forgot to add that they were ranked #92 in kenpom to end the year.

i'm dead serious when i say that shit like this (the 2011 VCU team being allowed into the tourney) is some of the most compelling evidence to me of some sort of higher power existing. like, looking at all of those stats/their record, how do you get that team into the tourney, and then parlay that one run into this crazy ascension to the top of your field, without selling your soul to the devil or something? what, other than some sort of divine intervention, can explain how that team got into the tourney, then made the final four, leading to Shaka being one of the richest coaches in CBB with one of the top 5-10 jobs in the biz, despite being a terrible coach? it's unbelievable.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 2

Y'all are like a bunch of battered wives.

You severely underestimate the draw of Austin, the recruiting opportunities, our facilities, and the utter lack of pressure on the UT men's basketball coach.  This job isn't saddled with the toxicity that plagues the football program -- just the opposite.  I guarantee there are 100 D1 head coaches who are better than Shaka Smart and who look at 20+ years of stellar recruiting and think "THAT'S all they could accomplish?  One Final Four?  Hell, sign me up!"

There is no easier program in the country to sell to good coaches.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Y'all are like a bunch of battered wives.

You severely underestimate the draw of Austin, the recruiting opportunities, our facilities, and the utter lack of pressure on the UT men's basketball coach.  This job isn't saddled with the toxicity that plagues the football program -- just the opposite.  I guarantee there are 100 D1 head coaches who are better than Shaka Smart and who look at 20+ years of stellar recruiting and think "THAT'S all they could accomplish?  One Final Four?  Hell, sign me up!"

There is no easier program in the country to sell to good coaches.

cpj7Ik854pbbs6WwbFtYGNu0Mjv4vul9VglenXuS

48 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

If we wait four years, Shaka will be good according to these guys. 

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2533132-predicting-college-basketballs-best-coaches-in-2025.amp.html

What is Thad Matta doing now?

"If nothing else, we're pretty thrilled to find out what Smart can do with players who get scholarship offers from all over the country yet actually want to don the uniform he's offering them."

We found out. It wasn't exactly thrilling.

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

Jay Wright, Mark Few, Izzo, Pitino, Self, Calipari, Huggins, Williams, Kryzewsky. Thanks that'll be a few million dollars. Hope you have another job lined up after you get shitcanned in year 1 for wasting a ton of time, money and opportunity cost chasing guys that the University would never consider (Pitino, Huggins, Cal) or that would never consider coming here (literally everyone on the list). Most of those guys wouldn't even pick up the phone. You might have a 5% chance of getting Wright or Few to answer, but they'd almost certainly just use us to get a raise at their current school.

It might be worth calling Jay Wright. He's the only one on the list that makes sense. Izzo is a ridiculous fan fiction notion. He wouldn't even answer the phone for us. The notion that he would even give us the time of day is why people make memes about Texas entitlement. It's absurd.

Feels like Jay is at his dream job.  No reason to think he'd come here.

3 hours ago, Pancho said:

Iv’e already explained why Underwood isn’t happening. 

Muss?  Arkansas is equal to Texas yes, but Muss is younger.  That’s one reason. Dana can retire at Oregon.  

Why would Musselman come here if he makes a deep run? His agent may float he rumor but he will get paid there no matter what. Don’t see the huge upside to starting over when his system seems to be working at a school that does have some appreciation for basketball.