Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

28 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

Ohio State 247 mod put in a crystal ball pick for Kendal Milton to them, said he is pretty confident and that Milton has his OV scheduled for this weekend with LSU the next. Hopefully they close him before Bijan even gets to campus for his OV there. 

Milton has had a few schools feel confident about landing him at different times over the last two months or so. This might just be the flavor of the week 

The fact remains, Texas is one of the Chosen Ones in college football, considered an Untouchable by the impotent NCAA. They will always seek out the lower hanging fruits (teams like Ole Miss or aggy) to slap on the wrist and make a public display of hollow castigation, while Programs like Alabama, OU, Georgia, LSU, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Texas, and a handful of others will remain comfortably above the fray. So there is really no reason to sit on the sidelines when the game is all about fat stacks (of gift cards?) and buying players and their "advisors". I guess what Herman currently means by a "program fit" is a player who doesn't have their hand out?

44 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

Since we're calling for millionaires to present themselves here without any evident avenues for verification, I too would like to volunteer my monies for this worthwhile cause. 

It’s been a rough year so far. I can only toss in $2 million.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Fud said:

Milton has had a few schools feel confident about landing him at different times over the last two months or so. This might just be the flavor of the week 

The tOSU boards also said this will be Robinson's 1st time visitng them when he takes his OV.

22 hours ago, texifornia said:

We need an RB1 in the class. Ty Jordan wouldn't really fit that, so yeah there'd be new offers.

Maybe Kevontre Bradford: https://247sports.com/player/kevontre-bradford-46041118/

Can y'all explain what RB1 is? I haven't kept up with day-to-day (or week-to-week) recruiting since the the 2017 class.

• Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Can y'all explain what RB1 is? I haven't kept up with day-to-day (or week-to-week) recruiting since the the 2017 class.

Pretty common tumour-suppressor gene involved in the cellular-division cycle.

(alternately, RB1 = workhorse, RB2 = complementary back)

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TheMailBox357 said:

Usually a bigger, tougher back who can withstand a lot of hits. Think Keaontay Ingram.

That vs a smaller, faster guy who you'd use situationally.

8 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

The fact that the Georgia shit is working when we literally just beat them shows that this SEC shit is ingrained in these kids heads. The only thing that’s gonna change that is playoff appearances and 1st round draft picks, even beating LSU won’t matter if it doesn’t come with those two things.

I believe it's the lack of NFL 1st round picks that's hurting this program right now more than the SEC thing. OU/Georgia are producing 1st round players while we're still making VY graphics. 

To not have one 1st round pick from CW, MJ, HH, KB, DE, CO, etc. was a big disappointment and it exactly what our rivals are showing recruits. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, TheMailBox357 said:

10 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Pretty common tumour-suppressor gene involved in the cellular-division cycle.

(alternately, RB1 = workhorse, RB2 = complementary back)

10 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Usually a bigger, tougher back who can withstand a lot of hits. Think Keaontay Ingram.

That vs a smaller, faster guy who you'd use situationally.

So basically:

RB1 = Featured star workhorse RB

RB2 = Flex RB/All-Purpose RB or Goalline power RB

Edited by TheMailBox357
  • Fuck You 1

24 minutes ago, horns_10 said:

So Ja'Quinden Jackson retweeted some SMU stuff, is there any way we could somehow get stiffed from him too? I think I would lose my mind if fucking SMU killed this much needed bit of recruiting momentum. 

This recruiting thing may not be for you.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, horns_10 said:

So Ja'Quinden Jackson retweeted some SMU stuff, is there any way we could somehow get stiffed from him too? I think I would lose my mind if fucking SMU killed this much needed bit of recruiting momentum. 

HahahahahahahahahahaHahahahaha hahahahaha

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

We should try to get a stud RB, obviously, but this type of offense actually doesn’t require a workhorse at all.  Urban’s Florida teams had Tebow and then 3 or 4 smallish speed backs.  

The QB, for better or worse, is the short yardage guy and the workhorse on designed power runs.  That’s why I think Jackson is actually the most important recruit in the class.

Agree on Jackson.  

If I could only take one of Jackson or Evans, I would take Jackson.  

Jackson can do a lot of things. 

Open Mike: Live recruiting chat

Any update on the meeting currently happening in California? Could Coach Herman bring Bru back with him on the plane???

I would point you to Jeff, Chip, and Taylor who are more involved in running that story down right now.

Make me feel better about everything that is going on, mike

Recruiting goes in cycles. There are down periods and up periods. This is a down period. It's always darkest before the dawn.

Does McCoy’s situation affect the 2020 Cali kids?

That's actually what I'll be most interested to learn. It's fascinating this is happening with Johnny Wilson coming into town this weekend.

If Texas beats LSU do you think that will give a moderate or huge boost to recruiting?

There should be a lot of visitors there. If it's a great win in an awesome environment, we know that those moments can carry a recruiting effort.

Anything new on Jackson, when he’s deciding and if we should be confident?

Nothing new. I spent the day talking to some folks around Jackson and sources at schools recruiting him. I know he's been talking to Lincoln Riley lately, but nobody on the OU side seems to feel that confident about him, and I don't think he's visited there recently. It sounds like LSU, Kansas, and SMU were the other schools mentioned. Everything I've heard up until now makes me confident, but he is a bit of a wildcard.

How about the most in-depth evals you can provide currently on Quay Davis and Camar Wheaton? I know you mentioned everyone is gonna go nuts for Davis next year. Big fan of the job you’re doing, btw. For as awesome as EJ was, I definitely appreciate the rigor you bring to the job with your analysis and evaluations.

Davis is a potential superstar at receiver. He's physical and explosive, he can take a screen pass the distance, and he can win 50/50 balls. He's a showman, and I love everything about his game. He needs to polish and gain consistency. Wheaton is explosive, but he was a bit smaller than I expected when I saw him. He also wasn't working out because he just had a dental procedure so I didn't get to see much from him live.

Jaquinden posted something about a commitment coming soon anything about that? Is it to the under armor game or possibly a team?

I think he's already committed to the UA game. I think it's probable he's actually planning to make his commitment. The snippet on his twitter looked like it was from a commitment video.

Did y’all really get rid of down votes?

I didn't get rid of anything. I know they are making some message board updates, so maybe it was a part of that.

Who’s all set to visit this weekend?

Johnny Wilson and Lathan Ransom are set to come in on unofficial visits. Some of the staff will be in Dallas for the SMU satellite camp.

Why don't the Duncanville kids want to play with the North Shore kids and vice versa.

I don't know that it's necessarily the case, but that game left a lot of bad feelings between both sides.

How hard is Texas recruiting the wideout from temple? When will he be in for a visit?

Quentin Johnston is a guy they are looking at for the Z position. I think they are in a bit of a holding pattern with receivers until their primary targets get sorted out. I'd expect him to visit this summer.

If Troy omire committed today where do u think he lands?

It's hard to say. He's given indications to Texas and Texas A&M that he was close to committing in the past. Right now the wind seems to be blowing towards LSU.

How big of a lead does Texas have on broughton?

I think it's a slight lead.

Commits in June? Or not until July ?

Maybe one or two in June, but I think July is probably more likely.

Give me a name that you think we have a sneaky good shot on that most people don’t really know about

I don't know that there's an under the radar guy because I feel like I laid the whole board out a few times in the last few days. I'll reiterate that right now I think Texas is in a very good position for Bijan Robinson.

If J-Whitt was considered a rb instead of athlete do you think he’s still a composite 5*? Higher or lower?

I think he'd be lower. I'm not sure it's his best natural position.

I always thought if we win we could keep the elite talent in state. We won last year and Evans basically said it a fluke win. Ringo basically agreed with the statement. Does 2020 view last year as a fluke? How does 2021 and beyond view last year? Do we have to prove on the field again that last year wasn’t a fluke?

Consistency is obviously key. Doing it back to back proves more consistency. I think the draft hurt, but we're talking about a few guys who view 2020 as a fluke vs a bunch who love what Texas did last season.

What do you think of major burns? Haven’t seen his film, but from the few clips I’ve seen he looks pretty damn good..

He's a good prospect. Better than I originally thought. I think he's growing into his potential. He wants to play corner from what I know, but I'm not sure I like him more than Crawford, Kimber, or Rogers.

I'm more interested in the trenches tbh. Win the lines as those big boys will set the physicality tone. Odds on landing Lindberg? Broughton? Odds on landing both?

I'd put Lindberg at 60% right now I'd probably put Broughton at 55%

Do you think Texas gets Johnny Wilson?

It sounds like Oregon has the lead right now, but Texas will get two shots this month to impress him.

Any update with Mookie Cooper? Do you expect for him to end up somewhere other than Texas?

He is going to OV to Texas at some point and was set to take a UOV in May.

How much did going all in on Evan's effect other RB recruits not feeling wanted and hurt us? Is it time to feel concerned about Stan Drayton ability to recruit?

I don't think it hurt any other efforts. I'd say there is concern over Drayton, but Texas is having to counter the idea that their offense relies on a running quarterback and not a traditional running back.

1 minute ago, horns_10 said:

And I was trying to say that that's stupid, politely.

Not as stupid as thinking we are going to lose an elite recruit to SMU. If thats notion is going to give you the vapors then following a recruitment like Evans is going to give you an aneurysm, or you’ll bleed out. From between your legs. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Not as stupid as thinking we are going to lose an elite recruit to SMU. If thats notion is going to give you the vapors then following a recruitment like Evans is going to give you an aneurysm, or you’ll bleed out. From between your legs. 

All I'm saying is you would have been laughed off of this site if you said 3 months ago that we'd be out of Evans' top 5, Bru would go back to USC, and Ringo would be Georgia-bound. Recruiting is weird shit my man. Or did you forget when we missed out on Ed Oliver? 

Edited by horns_10
  • Fuck You 11

2 minutes ago, horns_10 said:

All I'm saying is you would have been laughed off of this site if you said 3 months ago that we'd be out of Evans' top 5, Bru would go back to USC, and Ringo would be Georgia-bound. Recruiting is weird shit my man. Or did you forget when we missed out on Ed Oliver? 

You're out of your depth man. Lurk for a few months, then give it another go.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, horns_10 said:

Yeah man, i dont think so. I mean, the Bru shit sure because it is completely unprecedented. As was his coming here in the first place. And he played in our spring game, so im not sure his situation qualifies as recruiting anymore. 

As for the other two, im pretty sure a dozen or so regular posters here would have nodded their heads and said “yeah, i can see that” in regards to evans and ringo. You’re basically proving machinator’s point if you’re going to get this twisted over some elite recruitments that you’re hearing SMU footsteps.