Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Just now, Thiefery said:

Can someone refresh my memory on Eaton? Was he the player that Washington was seen in a video clip on twitter of showing him the Icy whites and KD backpack with an offer in it?

That's him

Everyone said we were a strong favorite when we offered. Then we backed off with other guys on the board. He's been an A&M lean since. But now that we've missed on those guys we're circling back.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Tomorrow should happily start the process of breaking that streak.

He's already set up an OV with UCLA according to OSU reporters. I'm not worried about them at all really, but what I am worried about is that a certain Top 3 school of his will seize the opportunity to get him to take the bus over afterwards for a UV. Getting Bijan Friday is great because it means we'll lead for him, but he's unfortunately not going to be one of the recruits that you can stop recruiting after he's committed.

Edited by Bam Bam Sam

1 minute ago, Bam Bam Sam said:

He's already set up an OV with UCLA according to OSU reporters. I'm not worried about them at all really, but what I am worried about is that a certain Top 3 school of his will use seize the opportunity to get him to take the bus over afterwards for a UV. Getting Bijan Friday is great because it means we'll lead for him, but he's unfortunately not going to be one of the recruits that you can stop recruiting after he's committed. 

...which is why I said "start the process."

It's much harder to get a kid to decommit than it is to flip a silent or heavy lean.

8 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

That’s a good sign. We must be pushing for Eaton now. 

I agree with Fud about preferring to wait until after his senior film, but aggy’s so desperate since they don’t have any legitimate CBs that I doubt we can stall him this long. Unless the staff thinks they can get Pouncey for sure (very doubtful), it’s probably better to push for Eaton now seeing as that we’re getting to the bottom of our CB targets at this point.  If he has a truly bad senior year, we could probably go quiet and I bet aggy would still take him.

4 minutes ago, Bam Bam Sam said:

He's already set up an OV with UCLA according to OSU reporters. I'm not worried about them at all really, but what I am worried about is that a certain Top 3 school of his will use seize the opportunity to get him to take the bus over afterwards for a UV. Getting Bijan Friday is great because it means we'll lead for him, but he's unfortunately not going to be one of the recruits that you can stop recruiting after he's committed.

That's any high profile recruit these days, though.

Bijan, by all accounts, seems like he's from a good family that are grounded and running a smart, clean recruitment. He hasn't given anyone a commit yet. I feel pretty good about our odds to hold onto the kid if he does commit to us, barring a complete collapse and dumpster fire on the field this season. Does anyone know if he's an early enrollee? I didn't see it listed anywhere on his 247 profile and google didn't give any immediate answers in the few articles I ran a CTL+F on...

Edited by SydneyCarton

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

That's any high profile recruit these days, though.

Bijan, by all accounts, seems like he's from a good family that are grounded and running a smart, clean recruitment. He hasn't given anyone a commit yet. I feel pretty good about our odds to hold onto the kid if he does commit to us. Does anyone know if he's an early enrollee?

Oh, all reports about Bijan is that he's extremely kind and a great kid. But the ideal is when you commit you shut it down, but as you said, these days it isn't like that for the big ones.

On early enrollee, I think AZ kids can't early enroll because they're on the quad system and not the semester system in their high schools. I believe neither Jake Smith nor Spencer Rattler early enrolled. I think they can if they really wanted to, but it seems it's more difficult on their system. 

42 minutes ago, Leanderman said:

Still shaking my head in amazement over Ringo, all he said and did about us then suddenly fell in love with the dawgs for some reason?

It was reported/hinted by the 995ers that UG helped his mom get a job at delta so they can get the hell out of Phoenix. She's been in the airline industry and Delta is based in atl.

Edited by Chopper

14 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

That’s a good sign. We must be pushing for Eaton now. 

I always liked him more than Watts. He is tall and fast, but raw.  He can really take it to the next level with coaching at Texas. (Think his Jr season was the first at CB, right?)

3 minutes ago, Bam Bam Sam said:

Oh, all reports about Bijan is that he's extremely kind and a great kid. But the ideal is when you commit you shut it down, but as you said, these days it isn't like that for the big ones.

It's just a part of the modern landscape of recruiting.  He does seem like a grounded player from a stable family.  I wish him all the best and he has seemingly handled this process as well as you could expect.  UCLA worries me less than others, but it's always a fluid process until NSD. 

4 minutes ago, Chopper said:

It was reported/hinted by the 995ers that UG helped his mom get a job at delta so they can get the hell out of Phoenix. She's been in the airline industry and Delta is based in atl.

UT BMD's need to offer her a job aboard it's private G5's and G6's based out of Austin.

14 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I agree with Fud about preferring to wait until after his senior film, but aggy’s so desperate since they don’t have any legitimate CBs that I doubt we can stall him this long. Unless the staff thinks they can get Pouncey for sure (very doubtful), it’s probably better to push for Eaton now seeing as that we’re getting to the bottom of our CB targets at this point.  If he has a truly bad senior year, we could probably go quiet and I bet aggy would still take him.

Of course, that’s assuming they’re even aware that he’s a true CB. 

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm not sure anyone on this site has been excited for Eaton for awhile, be it because we had to chase Kelee Ringo's tail, or he was written off as an aTm lock. I don't think anyone's going to be overly excited about him. He's raw and needs a lot of work, but he has length and athleticism. He could be a player if we stashed him for a couple years. Couple that with an aTm dick slap to the face, I'd be happy if he jumped on board. We've taken worse projects for sure. 

45 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Yeah. But he's been on the back burner for all the reasons Fud described.

You guys can all hold out for the 10s. We’re wandering the wilderness at DB here. I’ll take the raw materials at this point.  

• Like 2

Just now, closetojumping said:

You guys can all hold out for the 10s. We’re wandering the wilderness at DB here. I’ll take the raw materials at this point.  

Did I say I didn't want us to take him at this point? Given the Ringo/Rogers misses I'm all aboard the Eaton Express.

29 minutes ago, Chopper said:

The reasoning some of y’all talk yourselves into over why a recruit would choose a school like Georgia amazes me. A recruit does not need mysterious reasonings to choose Georgia over us or anyone. Give it a rest with that stupid bullshit.

And if a recruit tells your fan base exactly what you want to hear and you fall for it, that’s on you and not him.

• Like 2

Just now, The Earl of Texas said:

The reasoning some of y’all talk yourselves into over why a recruit would choose a school like Georgia amazes me. A recruit does not need mysterious reasonings to choose Georgia over us or anyone. Give it a rest with that stupid bullshit.

And if a recruit tells your fan base exactly what you want to hear and you fall for it, that’s on you and not him.

I don't doubt there are shennanigans abound with these schools - but I also think it's less pronounced at the larger, higher profile schools in larger P5 conferences.  It's a risk many have to navigate carefully.  There's also a disconnect at times between eager boosters and staff.  It's the smaller schools like Baylor and TCU that worry me more.  Smaller, private schools with less eyes on them and are more desperate for a seat at the table.  

2 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Yeah, Georgia played for the national championship two years ago and was in the discussion last year.  I can't really cry foul and assume $$ is the deciding factor if a player choses that program, especially an out-of-state player like Ringo.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Maybe you could clarify what in the fuck you're actually saying?

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Here comes Earl of Texas with his pants down again, telling us that recruiting chicanery, from a school that hasn’t won a fucking thing in 39 years, is all in our heads. 

They really didn't hire any recruiting rainmakers either. A lot of the success on the recruiting trail is coming from assistants that didn't recruit at this level at other spots. 

If there's a school cheating it's definitely Georgia. I know this is shocking coming from the Saban tree of coaches. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You guys really come across as fucking rubes when you speculate that dirty recruiting is nonexistent or dimmed down at Georgia right now. I mean, backwater, overall-wearing hayseed-level rubes. 

Remember when Kirby got the the legislature to change the state laws to make it easier to deny open records requests?

https://deadspin.com/kirbys-law-will-make-it-harder-to-report-on-georgia-a-1770500372

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

Just out of curiosity, did it raise any red flags with you back when Ole Miss began racking up five star recruits, or did that seem to be on the up and up, too?

Mark Richt just wasn't trying hard enough, and Hugh Freeze created a great family atmosphere as a Man of God™.  That about 'splains it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

I would prefer to wait but given that a lot of our top targets are going elsewhere, we may not have the luxury of waiting. Eaton is a plus athlete so it’s not like he is a reach. 

4 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I would prefer to wait but given that a lot of our top targets are going elsewhere, we may not have the luxury of waiting. Eaton is a plus athlete so it’s not like he is a reach. 

Thinking of the various sportscaster references to Eaton when he makes a notable defensive play: "He ate that receiver's lunch with that big hit" "Eaton continues to eat-on, he's having quite the game."

27 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Which fucking part of my post that said "I'd be happy if he hopped on board" reads as "holding out for a 10" you non-reading fuck?

• Haha 1

I believe programs, including Georgia, have stuff going on behind the scenes. I'm not sure which is worse though: believing that no schools play dirty, or thinking every school plays dirty except for the mighty University of Texas, who just happens to land top 5 classes despite it's self-inflicted handicap.

I mean, if that's your position, then you have to give it to Herman. Maybe the greatest recruiter ever.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Foosters said:

I believe programs, including Georgia, have stuff going on behind the scenes. I'm not sure which is worse though: believing that no schools play dirty, or thinking every school plays dirty except for the mighty University of Texas, who just happens to land top 5 classes despite it's self-inflicted handicap.

I mean, if that's your position, then you have to give it to Herman. Maybe the greatest recruiter ever.

This is a false dilemma you have created here. There are lots of clean programs Michigan, ND, UW, Stanford It’s just we never really lose recruits to them. Who do we lose recruits to OSU, Bama, UGA, Aggy and LSU. What do you think all these programs have in common?

Edited by Not a Sock

4 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

This is a false dilemma you have created here. There are lots of clean programs Michigan, ND, UW, Stanford It’s just we never really lose recruits to them. Who do we lose recruits to OSU, Bama, UGA, Aggy and LSU. What do you think all these programs have in common?

We lose recruits to Stanford regularly...

8 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

They've been better than UT in football for a some portion of the last 8 or so years?  Nevermind, aggie on the list. 

Honestly though, it happens.  Teams pay. The Georgia, Ole Miss and Oregon top ten inclusions seem to point out which players are running the circuit.  We seem to always miss on those players.

Alabama is an outlier with Saban, but you get one great recruiting class and the next one kids all seem to talk about depth charts. Except Alabama who can sign an unlimited number of elite players at every position nearly every year with very few going elsewhere due to playing time concerns.