Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

3 hours ago, fellside said:

...that isn't a backstory.  That's an explanation of why he didn't know anything and still doesn't.

Yeah, but now that EJ's been gone a while, so I'm sure it's going to be better with the 2021 class. Lets check some recent crystal balls..

spacer.png

... never mind. @fellside is right.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Ok. Well. Fine I guess. He's not terrible but it ain't shooting for the moon.

I do hope I'm proven wrong Burton/LJH style.

I posted this on the DH commitment thread. Guess this is Mehribro's answer.

"Giles, Drayton and now TO, this is moving too fast. What's next, Mehringer flipping Demas?

Hook'em Derrick!"

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Ok. Well. Fine I guess. He's not terrible but it ain't shooting for the moon.

I do hope I'm proven wrong Burton/LJH style.

Same.  Watch his HUDL and then put on Q. Johnston's and there's a pretty big difference in athleticism.  From a class composite standpoint, it's a nice addition.  So, there's that and hoping the staff has the eval pegged.

Edited by Stampeder

From a poster on another board who was very familiar with the Bijan recruitment

A little more background about Bijan Robinson's recruitment:

I said I'd do a follow up post about Bijan once he made his announcement and I had the chance to discuss it with a few people I know back in Tucson. I knew his likely decision early in the week, but no one wanted to step on his moment, out of respect for him and his family. Salpointe is an incredible school with a reputation for integrity and honor that stretches back generations; and that reputation is well-earned.

First and foremost, Bijan is a heck of a kid by all accounts. Everyone there likes and respects him. He is smart, and he is humble. Salpointe is a rigorous academic institution, and athletes are not given a break at all. Bijan has worked hard and done well in school, and is a young man of very high character. He also comes from a religious family, and his faith is a big part of who he is. You can see all of that in his interviews.

He grew up probably wanting to go to USC more than any other school. That's why he wears Reggie Bush's number (and indeed, USC may have even suggested to him that they might "unretire" it just for him). If the coaching situation wasn't such a mess there, there is a good chance that's where he would have ended up. But the perception is buzzing everywhere that Helton will be gone almost certainly after this season (people in recruiting circles are openly suggesting he will be fired with anything less than 9-10 wins). So Bijan was obviously going to be open to other options. 

That's where Texas comes in. Bijan and his grandparents loved the visit to Austin. His grandfather was an official in the Pac 10, and seeing UT's facilities and everything it has to offer impressed him immensely. His grandmother also liked the fact that it was closer than some "other" schools. Most importantly -- and this is going to hit a few of you haters pretty hard -- Bijan really hit it off with Drayton. He loves the guy, and thinks he is a great coach that will develop him well. And, in the end, the fact that Drayton coached Elliot actually mattered more than what jersey Elliot wore when he played. In short, from what I've been told, Drayton deserves a ton of credit for this victory. Kudos to him. (The Drayton skeptics should probably put a sock in it for a while).

It's already been discussed elsewhere, but yes, Bijan got a very hard press from OSU, especially by OSU commits at the big camps this summer. It sounds like they really ganged up on him, and pressed him on how cool it will be when they all played and won championships together, etc. Texas didn't have a similar phalanx at those elite camps, and it hurt us. He probably gave in to that pressure to some extent, which is why the sense became that he would probably go there. (As an aside, Herman may already be adjusting to this problem given the size of the 2021 class this early on). 

But once he got home, that noise and pressure dissipated. And he was able to focus on what he wanted to do, where he felt the most comfortable, and what he thought was the best fit for him. (It probably helped that he had Salpointe coaches that really had his best interests at heart, and stressed to him that he needed to make the best choice for him, and not worry about what other players were doing, most of whom he didn't even know, besides Ransom). So that led him back to Texas, which was the school he liked best all along.

Bottom line: such a great kid. Loved by his coaches and peers. Perfect character fit for Texas. Awesome job by Herman and Drayton and the rest. Hugs all around.

P.S. People have asked about Ransom. It sounds like he is solid to OSU. Being developed for the NFL is important to him, and they have had a lot of success in that regard lately. (He also liked LSU, but they signed a ton of safeties right after his visit). You never know, of course, so the coaches should probably keep his number, especially if we have a big year. He's also a great student, by the way. 

P.S.S. I also heard some great stories about Harbaugh. The guy is a lunatic, but kind of a hilarious and awesome one.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

From a poster on another board who was very familiar with the Bijan recruitment

Hide contents

A little more background about Bijan Robinson's recruitment:

I said I'd do a follow up post about Bijan once he made his announcement and I had the chance to discuss it with a few people I know back in Tucson. I knew his likely decision early in the week, but no one wanted to step on his moment, out of respect for him and his family. Salpointe is an incredible school with a reputation for integrity and honor that stretches back generations; and that reputation is well-earned.

First and foremost, Bijan is a heck of a kid by all accounts. Everyone there likes and respects him. He is smart, and he is humble. Salpointe is a rigorous academic institution, and athletes are not given a break at all. Bijan has worked hard and done well in school, and is a young man of very high character. He also comes from a religious family, and his faith is a big part of who he is. You can see all of that in his interviews.

He grew up probably wanting to go to USC more than any other school. That's why he wears Reggie Bush's number (and indeed, USC may have even suggested to him that they might "unretire" it just for him). If the coaching situation wasn't such a mess there, there is a good chance that's where he would have ended up. But the perception is buzzing everywhere that Helton will be gone almost certainly after this season (people in recruiting circles are openly suggesting he will be fired with anything less than 9-10 wins). So Bijan was obviously going to be open to other options. 

That's where Texas comes in. Bijan and his grandparents loved the visit to Austin. His grandfather was an official in the Pac 10, and seeing UT's facilities and everything it has to offer impressed him immensely. His grandmother also liked the fact that it was closer than some "other" schools. Most importantly -- and this is going to hit a few of you haters pretty hard -- Bijan really hit it off with Drayton. He loves the guy, and thinks he is a great coach that will develop him well. And, in the end, the fact that Drayton coached Elliot actually mattered more than what jersey Elliot wore when he played. In short, from what I've been told, Drayton deserves a ton of credit for this victory. Kudos to him. (The Drayton skeptics should probably put a sock in it for a while).

It's already been discussed elsewhere, but yes, Bijan got a very hard press from OSU, especially by OSU commits at the big camps this summer. It sounds like they really ganged up on him, and pressed him on how cool it will be when they all played and won championships together, etc. Texas didn't have a similar phalanx at those elite camps, and it hurt us. He probably gave in to that pressure to some extent, which is why the sense became that he would probably go there. (As an aside, Herman may already be adjusting to this problem given the size of the 2021 class this early on). 

But once he got home, that noise and pressure dissipated. And he was able to focus on what he wanted to do, where he felt the most comfortable, and what he thought was the best fit for him. (It probably helped that he had Salpointe coaches that really had his best interests at heart, and stressed to him that he needed to make the best choice for him, and not worry about what other players were doing, most of whom he didn't even know, besides Ransom). So that led him back to Texas, which was the school he liked best all along.

Bottom line: such a great kid. Loved by his coaches and peers. Perfect character fit for Texas. Awesome job by Herman and Drayton and the rest. Hugs all around.

P.S. People have asked about Ransom. It sounds like he is solid to OSU. Being developed for the NFL is important to him, and they have had a lot of success in that regard lately. (He also liked LSU, but they signed a ton of safeties right after his visit). You never know, of course, so the coaches should probably keep his number, especially if we have a big year. He's also a great student, by the way. 

P.S.S. I also heard some great stories about Harbaugh. The guy is a lunatic, but kind of a hilarious and awesome one.

I know this isn’t a 9.95er because that was a fair amount of words without any ridiculous grammar, syntax, or spelling errors and it included the word phalanx which was used correctly. 

• Like 5