Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

Jordan, Johnston, Thompson, Collins, and Umanmielen will do just fine.

Only need a LB and a Safety ( or 2 ).  I guess maybe Hester and Bunkley as well?

Is this class still going to go past 20?

We needed a second cornerback, we got a second cornerback. The Pouncey take doesn't affect anything numbers-wise unless you're hanging onto some inexplicable hope for Ringo.

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Only need a LB and a Safety ( or 2 ).  I guess maybe Hester and Bunkley as well?

LVBS gets a spot to the end, I'm pretty sure. He's real good. Hester... man I don't know what they're doing there.

5 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

This, plus it looks like they're going to take Hester and they will probably hold spots for Ringo (not likely) and LVBS (trending well) if they decide they want in. I'm still skeptical Princely ends up here.

6 minutes ago, satyanash said:

There's almost no separation from #9 to #14. Landing Jerrin Thompson tomorrow, for example, would instantly push us all the way up to #8.

And then aggy would instantly go from mocking our low ranking to saying we paid recruits.

• Like 2

Wait, wasn't Herman supposed to be timing these commits to dilute aggy fauxmentum?  I guess Herman has been pounding them for Price's son.  The best part about passing OU was it's like beating them twice--once in the ranking and again in the average.  As always, f'k ou.  

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

This, plus it looks like they're going to take Hester and they will probably hold spots for Ringo (not likely) and LVBS (trending well) if they decide they want in. I'm still skeptical Princely ends up here.

I don’t have anything to pass on regarding Umanlymannishman right now, but personally, I have a hard time seeing Texas pass on taking him. Maybe they do. Seems crazy if he wants to come. 

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don’t have anything to pass on regarding Umanlymannishman right now, but personally, I have a hard time seeing Texas pass on taking him. Maybe they do. Seems crazy if he wants to come. 

Yep, he’s a take.   I’m not fully dug into 2021 yet and while there still time, seems like there are only 4 top in state Dlinemen.  This might be a better year to load up especially since we lose 4 Seniors.  If he wants in, I don’t see the staff turning him away.  Plus DL seems like a place where we end up with unexpected attrition too.

1 hour ago, ausjala said:

TEXAS  <>  MECCA  . . . hmmmm, same number of letters. I'm sensing a trend here. . . .

Can anyone make one of those Avengers style intros where you have Mecca turn into Texas like Avengers turned into Infinity War and with the burnt orange logo behind it like the A logo for the Avengers?

I am really impressed with this staff's ability right now to stay on its priority targets relentlessly, but also have options ready to go if the player looks elsewhere for culture/money/better fit/whatever.  It's still early and no one has signed yet, but they are doing a hell of a job this year in recruiting IMHO.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Would love to save the Hester scholarship for a late rising Oline, LB or fourth DL spot. Receiver room is solid as is and Jordan will probably used as a poor mans whittington. Backfield, slot, out wide. Returner. Overall gadget guy

the only thing i would say here is that it is solid TODAY. almost guaranteed that we see some guys go elsewhere after this season...

• Current SO: Eagles, Josh Moore, Jordan Pouncey (RS)
  • Current RS FR: Malcolm Epps, Al'Vonte Woodard 
  • Current True FR: Kennedy Lewis, Jake Smith, Marcus Washigton

when you consider the current Seniors (Johnson/Dev Duv/Burt) that isn't a ton of snaps to go around, especially if you see Eagles establish himself at the Z and Moore establish himself at H/slot (with Smith getting snaps there as well)

going to be interesting to see how things shake out for sure.

9 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Assuming Jerrin Thompson commits, it doesn't seem like there is room for Joshua Eaton. Unless for some reason Eaton can project to the safety position.

HOPEFULLY they learned their lesson last year at the RB position regarding not keeping folks warm either for late risers or if something changes at the position.

9 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Pouncey is rated #90 in the nation on 247 and #103 in the nation by ESPN.

Rivals ranking is real low being #71 in the whole state of Florida.

Maybe some BOMC in the Rivals update coming?

Rivals hasn't had their big overall update, right? ESPN and 247 have?

Edited by NoName

Given the size of the class,  I really do not see how we can take 3 CB’s. It’s not a need and I would rather throw numbers at late rising linebackers. 

It’s going to be awesome watching Aggy claim a head to head recruiting victory with Eaton. 

7 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah you have to take him.  

I hadn’t noticed before, but it says on his 247 page that he has a scheduled commitment date, October 15th.  A little odd to have it that far out.  If you’re scheduling a commitment date, you typically know where you’re going though. 

14 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Given the size of the class,  I really do not see how we can take 3 CB’s. It’s not a need and I would rather throw numbers at late rising linebackers. 

It’s going to be awesome watching Aggy claim a head to head recruiting victory with Eaton. 

It only expands the class by one

• Like 1

Just now, satyanash said:

would we really take three corners AND three safeties? I thought the goal was 5 DBs for this class, including safety, nickel, and CTJ's box safety/hybrid LB.

Numbers probably depend on the right guys wanting in. Would they take six if Jahari, CTJ, and Washington all want in? If the info is true that they'd still take Jahari, then that seems like a yes. Texas also might not flip Jahari, so this might be moot.