Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

2 minutes ago, dilloncp98 said:

I’m at the pluckers on campus, and Zach Evans, Damien George, and Hudson Card are eating at the booth next to me. They’re with 3 adults, I don’t recognize any of them.

Sauce choice is gonna be crucial for the mental eval

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Katfid54 said:

Recognizing that Pluckers sources only the largest wings, how big do Hudson's hands look holding an average sized wing flat?

On top of this question, are any of them eating boneless wings or eating wings with two hands? Those are disqualifiers.

7 minutes ago, dilloncp98 said:

I’m at the pluckers on campus, and Zach Evans, Damien George, and Hudson Card are eating at the booth next to me. They’re with 3 adults, I don’t recognize any of them.

Is your gf with you?  Is she cute?  If so, could you send her over to chat them up and make sure they’re having a good time?

12 minutes ago, dilloncp98 said:

2 minutes ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

I know someone who works in a capacity to have seen him and says they are at football facilities 

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

Despite a highlight reel that did not include a black defensive back until about the 8 minute mark, it’s pretty clear to me what he is. He has the anticipation of Drew Brees, the accuracy of Troy Aikman, the pocket presence of Aaron Rodgers the gamesmanship of Steve Young and of course the hands of Alex Smith. 

Someone who knows football better than me. What are you able to tell me about his film when he is running by 5”7 white defensive backs with impunity? Anything else other than when we play Air Force they better look the fuck out? 

I also heard Card's left-handed and no-look passes are better than Pat Mahomes'.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

I am talking arm strength. Murray has a top 5 NFL arm today. Mayfield is a notch below that, but you don’t get drafted at 1 overall as a short QB unless you can sling it. 

I got Stafford, Rogers, Allen, Cam Newton,  Flacco, and Mahomes.  Just off the top of my head

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

Despite a highlight reel that did not include a black defensive back until about the 8 minute mark, it’s pretty clear to me what he is. He has the anticipation of Drew Brees, the accuracy of Troy Aikman, the pocket presence of Aaron Rodgers the gamesmanship of Steve Young and of course the hands of Alex Smith. 

Someone who knows football better than me. What are you able to tell me about his film when he is running by 5”7 white defensive backs with impunity? Anything else other than when we play Air Force they better look the fuck out? 

Was lake Travis’s district enriched with more black defensive backs in Baker’s day?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

You may want to avoid Jake Smith's HUDL.

• Like 3

I know the hands stuff is ripe for humor and I have no interest in dissuading that. Still, on a serious note, hand size for a QB matters and it starts to truly become a differentiator in college and plays a role in draft status in the NFL. Someone mentioned Alex Smith having small hands. He measured 9 3/8s. Fat part of the middle. Fine. Romo was 8.9, and I believe he’s the last starter in the NFL with hands smaller than 9 inches. Could be wrong, but I think that is right. Well, maybe Card isn’t done growing, but his measure an inch less than Romo’s. 

So, almost no QBs get drafted with less than 9 inch hands and it plays a role in pop, release and accuracy for a QB. Poo poo it, but it’s an indicator of risk. 

Also, while Longhorn94 predictably uses anecdotes and “Herman has told him he’s the only guy they’ve ever wanted” to make the argument that Card is a riskless recruit, my concerns on his ability to gain weight also stand. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Murray has a really good arm dude

Yes, he does, because it's accurate and he throws a very catchable ball (including deep throws). It is not ++ strength especially when compared to other NFL prospects. There's a reason his baseball scouting report had 4, below average, for arm strength.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I know the hands stuff is ripe for humor and I have no interest in dissuading that. Still, on a serious note, hand size for a QB matters and it starts to truly become a differentiator in college and plays a role in draft status in the NFL. Someone mentioned Alex Smith having small hands. He measured 9 3/8s. Fat part of the middle. Fine. Romo was 8.9, and I believe he’s the last starter in the NFL with hands smaller than 9 inches. Could be wrong, but I think that is right. Well, maybe Card isn’t done growing, but his measure an inch less than Romo’s. 

So, almost no QBs get drafted with less than 9 inch hands and it plays a role in pop, release and accuracy for a QB. Poo poo it, but it’s an indicator of risk. 

Also, while Longhorn94 predictably uses anecdotes and “Herman has told him he’s the only guy they’ve ever wanted” to make the argument that Card is a riskless recruit, my concerns on his ability to gain weight also stand. 

But there are always exceptions to the rule. Right?  

Talent, leadership, football smarts, overall athletic ability. These all parts of what makes a QB1. 

8 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yes, he does, because it's accurate and he throws a very catchable ball (including deep throws). It is not ++ strength especially when compared to other NFL prospects. There's a reason his baseball scouting report had 4, below average, for arm strength.

He’s got great arm strength. His grade for arm strength for the MLB is low because of the fact that he never gets to work on it.

“There’s still a ton of projection involved with Murray because scouts know they aren’t seeing him at his best. He has spent much of the spring splitting time between baseball and spring football practice, where he was battling for the Sooners’ starting quarterback job.“ —baseball America 

Baseball America actually has him at 30 right after the draft and mlb.com at a 40. All this goes up if he were to commit to baseball full time. The dude plays QB in Riley’s offense where he throws the ball a ton, even in the spring during baseball season. If he played receiver his arm strength would be above average due to the fact he’s not having to work on his football throwing motion practically year round along with baseball. 

He’s got great arm strength. His grade for arm strength for the MLB is low because of the fact that he never gets to work on it.
“There’s still a ton of projection involved with Murray because scouts know they aren’t seeing him at his best. He has spent much of the spring splitting time between baseball and spring football practice, where he was battling for the Sooners’ starting quarterback job.“ —baseball America 
Baseball America actually has him at 30 right after the draft and mlb.com at a 40. All this goes up if he were to commit to baseball full time. The dude plays QB in Riley’s offense where he throws the ball a ton, even in the spring during baseball season. If he played receiver his arm strength would be above average due to the fact he’s not having to work on his football throwing motion practically year round along with baseball. 
So your argument is that he has great arm strength and your supporting evidence is that he's been graded as below average and way below average on arm strength and the other supporting argument is that his arm strength isn't good because he plays football, that's how you know he has good arm strength.

Your entire post is nonsensical. Playing football didn't stop John Elway, Shea Morenz, or basically any other quarterback ever from having a cannon on the baseball field.
  • Like 3

I am talking arm strength. Murray has a top 5 NFL arm today. Mayfield is a notch below that, but you don’t get drafted at 1 overall as a short QB unless you can sling it. 

I'm starting to think maybe NFL GMs aren't actually dumber than most fans.

Also, to be clear, Murray does not have a weak arm. He has decent to good arm strength but an extremely quick release that helps tremendously. But he does not have a "++" arm in terms of velocity. Of course that's the most overrated quarterback attribute so it really doesn't matter in the end, but y'all are still either blind or nuts. Or both.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Goff has 9” hands and I can’t find anything on his hand size, but the last heisman winner was basically a fast Peter Dinklage. Kid is only 17, who knows what his measurables are by the time he is actually competing for a starting spot in 2021

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

So your argument is that he has great arm strength and your supporting evidence is that he's been graded as below average and way below average on arm strength and the other supporting argument is that his arm strength isn't good because he plays football, that's how you know he has good arm strength.

Your entire post is nonsensical. Playing football didn't stop John Elway, Shea Morenz, or basically any other quarterback ever from having a cannon on the baseball field.

Well my argument revolves around scouting evidence that says he isn’t graded well because he’s a multi-sport athlete. Like the quote said, which you totally just ignored. 

But ill go further with evidence from scouting reports for football, since I guess you won’t take a low rep opinion seriously. 

“Compact delivery really generates a lot of torque, baseball background is evident and effective to create velocity. Easy thrower, capable of pushing the ball vertically, even when his base remains unset. Ball explodes off his hand and arrives with great pace and trajectory.”

”Despite his lack of size (5-foot-10, 195 pounds), Murray has a powerful arm that he uses to rifle passes to his targets with high velocity. He doesn't typically throw into a lot of tight windows, but the velocity Murray can put on his passes lends itself well to tight-window throws in the NFL. That arm strength allows Murray to complete passes to every portion of the field.”

I could go on and on and on. Listen he’s not up there with fucking Elway or Marino but he has well above average arm strength and everyone sees but you...