Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

2 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Yeah, pretty sure aggy has brainwashed him.  At some point Herman needs to take a strong look at his weak recruiters.  Giles, Drayton, Warehime need to go yesterday.  Hell keep Giles but get him some help for fucks sake.

I wonder how Joyner will do at SMU. I would guess that currently he is too inexperienced for Texas, even in a limited role.

38 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Yeah, pretty sure aggy has brainwashed him.  At some point Herman needs to take a strong look at his weak recruiters.  Giles, Drayton, Warehime need to go yesterday.  Hell keep Giles but get him some help for fucks sake.

But...why?

At what point does Orlando get shit?

Just now, Neonmoon said:

But...why?

Your coordinators don't necessarily have to be rainmakers, but they really need to be good coaches, especially since Herman is an offense guy. He's a so-so recruiter, and he's been hamstrung by WR of all positions getting the extra coach on the staff. He holds up his end of the bargain by being a good coach.

35 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

But...why?

Never. As long as he keeps doing a good job coordinating the defense, then it should be, and is, Herman’s fault for not helping him and Giles recruit. A good DC is way too valuable to hold recruiting against him when Herman could easily bring in a plus recruiter on the defensive side of the ball.

Why the fuck does the offense get an extra position coach when Herman’s an offensive coach? The staff breakdown is 7-4 and we have 3 useless fucks on the offensive side with Meekins being whatever is one step above useless fuck. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 6

I think the recruiter ratings attributed to Meh are all the excuse Herman will require of himself to keep Meh around.

I would like to think that he will be critical enough in evaluating his own regime to see that he has kept some weak links well past any advantage or obligation. Senior administration may not have enough understanding of what goes into making a football program, but CDC should and is paid to be Herman's advisor and boss in this regard. Loyalty and continuity are great, but the corollary of retaining every one who desires to be retained based on the fact that the program is moving forward would be that it basically has to crash before any personnel adjustments whatsoever are made. 

The DL and RB (LB?) recruiting have been a painful exception to generally good results. CDC/Herman need to look at the recruiting dead weight and jettison at least half of it, ideally all. Even if there are some good on-the-field coaches in that group, CDC/TH need to demand that members of his coaching staff at one of the top football schools in existence bring, as a rule, more than half of the core competencies for their respective jobs to the table. I'm OK with keeping Beck for now. Perhaps no great shakes as an in-game play-caller, he does very well what nowhere near enough other guys do yet. It would be nice a year from now to be able to look at him and ask whether we want to "waste" an OC spot for a recruiter, but the time to ask is not now, especially with TH apparently a good option to run things on Saturdays.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trythisathome said:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Texas 🔮 pick for Camar Wheaton<br><br> 2021 RB / 5-11 / 190<br>✍️ By Mike Roach 🎤⬇️<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/cloUT2021?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#cloUT2021</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/HookEm?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#HookEm</a> 🤘🐂</p>&mdash; Texas Crystal Ball 🤘🔮 (@texcrystal_ball) <a href="https://twitter.com/texcrystal_ball/status/1138280087659405312?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 11, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Don't try this at home.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Magus Ossis said:

I think the recruiter ratings attributed to Meh are all the excuse Herman will require of himself to keep Meh around.

I would like to think that he will be critical enough in evaluating his own regime to see that he has kept some weak links well past any advantage or obligation. Senior administration may not have enough understanding of what goes into making a football program, but CDC should and is paid to be Herman's advisor and boss in this regard. Loyalty and continuity are great, but the corollary of retaining every one who desires to be retained based on the fact that the program is moving forward would be that it basically has to crash before any personnel adjustments whatsoever are made. 

The DL and RB (LB?) recruiting have been a painful exception to generally good results. CDC/Herman need to look at the recruiting dead weight and jettison at least half of it, ideally all. Even if there are some good on-the-field coaches in that group, CDC/TH need to demand that members of his coaching staff at one of the top football schools in existence bring, as a rule, more than half of the core competencies for their respective jobs to the table. I'm OK with keeping Beck for now. Perhaps no great shakes as an in-game play-caller, he does very well what nowhere near enough other guys do yet. It would be nice a year from now to be able to look at him and ask whether we want to "waste" an OC spot for a recruiter, but the time to ask is not now, especially with TH apparently a good option to run things on Saturdays.

I couldn’t even imagine getting rid of Beck. Sam’s developed under his coaching and he’s probably the best recruiter on staff. Herman’s got playcallung taken care of and he needs to do that no matter who’s OC. Beck’s killed it at his position and then gone out and helped other spots too. 

Realistically, every staff will have at least 1 or 2 bad recruiters, but those guys will be elite at coaching and the rest of the staff will have enough plus recruiters to make up for it. We don’t, which is why Mehringer, Warehime and Drayton need to be the first to go. 

TE and RB are the two easiest position to coach and have the lowest number of guys to recruit each year. The fact that our RB and TE coaches don’t help any other positions in recruiting is pitiful. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

I couldn’t even imagine getting rid of Beck. Sam’s developed under his coaching and he’s probably the best recruiter on staff. Herman’s got playcallung taken care of and he needs to do that no matter who’s OC. Beck’s killed it at his position and then gone out and helped other spots too. 

Realistically, every staff will have at least 1 or 2 bad recruiters, but those guys will be elite at coaching and the rest of the staff will have enough plus recruiters to make up for it. We don’t, which is why Mehringer, Warehime and Drayton need to be the first to go. 

TE and RB are the two easiest position to coach and have the lowest number of guys to recruit each year. The fact that our RB and TE coaches don’t help any other positions in recruiting is pitiful. 

I think we agree. I was not advocating dropping Beck now or later, just imagining how nice it would be not to be dependent on a non-playcalling OC as our ace recruiter.

3 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

Or it will be enough for another program to give him the OC position again. I think Samples is next up on the replacement list, and you could absolutely upgrade Warehime with Beaty.

It will be interesting to see what happens should Orlando leave, but nothing about him says he would be successful running a program, because he's not an elite recruiter. I think a head coach absolutely needs to be an elite recruiter to succeed in college football today.

I would like to add a OLB/DE coach to help both Giles and Orlando.

Not sure who you replace Drayton with as the rainmaking RB coach. Meekins is here for his relationships with the Houston area coaches.

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Meekins is here for his relationships with the Houston area coaches.

We can only hope that Herman dares to look for another human being (could one exist?) who not only knows some coaches in the Houston area but can actually recruit and develop players.

7 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

I think we agree. I was not advocating dropping Beck now or later, just imagining how nice it would be not to be dependent on a non-playcalling OC as our ace recruiter.

I don’t see the problem with it. Herman is an elite playcaller. The odds that he finds a better playcaller than himself are extremely low, so keep Beck in place. Odds are no one will poach Beck away for a HC gig and as long as he keeps developing QBs, his recruiting is a given. Locking down an elite recruiter who’s also a good coach is very hard to do. No idea why’d you like to move on from him at any point as long as Herman keeps calling plays. 

1 minute ago, Magus Ossis said:

We can only hope that Herman dares to look for another human being (could one exist?) who not only knows some coaches in the Houston area but can actually recruit and develop players.

Well if you want to talk about player development, Humphrey was coached by Meekins, and part of the relationship is coaches telling you who is good and who is not. Part of the evaluation process is the Texas coaches getting heads up about players.

4 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Collins, Fillinger, Arinze, Logan-Redding and a DT from Louisiana like Myron Warren that Ogre passes on because he is out of room for in-state kids?  We will get by we will survive.    Princely and BBQ wizard Price can enjoy the Station.  

Starting the “we’ll win with 3 stars” line in June. Not a good sign. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, HtownHorn said:

Well if you want to talk about player development, Humphrey was coached by Meekins, and part of the relationship is coaches telling you who is good and who is not. Part of the evaluation process is the Texas coaches getting heads up about players.

Fair enough. I don't pretend inside knowledge of how much each coach does. My impression, though, is that based on the "Jimmys and Joes" rule, a TE coach generally needs to bring more to the table than "developing" an electric HS RB into a receiver who runs like an RB after the catch. I will also grant that Beck really helped us with his play last year, however.

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Starting the “we’ll win with 3 stars” line in June. Not a good sign. 

Is Princely really that much better than some of our other targets that we shit ourselves?  The Utah kid is blowing up and he seems to have interest.  Last year we got Warren and Sweat.  I venture to say both those dudes are better than Bobby Brown and whomever OU has left on the DL after their recent attrition  

• Like 1

Mike at night:

I was able to see new Texas commit Quay Davis in action tonight. The four-star receiver played on both sides of the ball in 7v7 action. Davis actually had two interceptions at DB, and he showed off some incredible athleticism. Davis said afterward that the relationship with Ra’Shaad Samples and the chance to stay close to home and represent his state was huge for him. He wanted to get his commitment out of the way so he could focus on high school ball and help build the 2021 class. Davis said that his recruitment is completely shut down at this point.

—If I had to pick someone to watch to be the next member of the 2021 class, I’d say it’s Garland Lakeview Centennial running back Camar Wheaton. Wheaton is close with Davis (they play on the same 7v7 team), and he also has a strong relationship with Ra’Shaad Samples. Wheaton doesn’t say much to media, but I spoke with a source who indicated Texas had a lead in his recruitment, and it wouldn’t shock him to see Wheaton shut things down soon. The only other school mentioned for Wheaton was Kansas. In fact, Kansas is in the conversation for a lot of Dallas prospects. Les Miles is obviously playing a factor, but wide receivers coach Emmitt Jones is a former high school coach from South Oak Cliff, and he’s a made man in the metroplex. I put in a crystal ball pick for the Longhorns to land Wheaton.

—Another prospect taking notice of the Dallas to Austin movement is Kimball cornerback Ishmael Ibraheem. Ibraheem was offered by the Longhorns last week, and he’s been building a relationship with Texas cornerbacks coach Jason Washington. Ibraheem would like to visit Austin soon, and he mentioned that Davis and Ja’Quinden Jackson are friends of his. Ibraheem said that seeing them commit to Texas piqued his interest in joining them.

—2020 Bishop Dunne linebacker Brennon Scott included the Longhorns in his top five today. The Longhorns were the only in-state team to make the list, and they were included with Auburn, USC, Oregon, and Kansas. Scott is looking to fit in some official visits before the dead period, but he might have to wait to visit Austin. Scott would like to make a late July decision, but he admitted that it might be pushed back to August. My confidence is still in the Longhorns here, and I put in my crystal ball for Texas.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

His spot in the class could be, pretty soon. I am rooting against him, so I am happy to see him moving further away. 

Now Collins and Broughton, we don’t have viable fallback options. Those guys need to be closed. It’s fucking pathetic how incompetent we are at recruiting the DL compared to great recruiters can do at Texas on the DL front. 

The recruiting dead weight on this staff is absolutely infuriating. Giles, Mehringer, Warehime, and Drayton are massive governors on what should be an elite recruiting operation - and, because of the positions they handle, RB and DL in particular - on the ceiling of the program as a whole. For a guy who insists on single year deals for most of his staff, Herman doesn't seem to be demanding much at all from those four in terms of accountability.

The concern I have here (which I suspect is justified, unfortunately) is that Herman will refuse to make necessary changes because he's convinced that he's the smartest guy in CFB and can do no wrong (maybe there's a Tyrion Lannister comparison here, given the GoT theme posts a few pages back). So I'm pretty worried that Herman looks at the criticism of those four guys and basically thinks "I'm the head coach at Texas, they're not. They don't know anything and I'm keeping MY guys." It's probably true that we don't know very much at all compared to him - but you need to be in MENSA to see that those four are very obviously lead backpacks on the stellar work being done by some of the others like Beck, Samples, Carrington, and Hand. I just hope it doesn't take losing Broughton and Collins for him to figure it out.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Is Princely really that much better than some of our other targets that we shit ourselves?  The Utah kid is blowing up and he seems to have interest.  Last year we got Warren and Sweat.  I venture to say both those dudes are better than Bobby Brown and whomever OU has left on the DL after their recent attrition  

Lol. Brown was from the 2018 class. Warren was the substitute for missing on Leal, and yes, that is a big downgrade, even if Warren’s a good prospect. 

You listed a class with no Princely and no Broughton. The odds are much higher that Collins ends up at a school not named UT than UT at this point. I don’t really care about Princely specifically  but right now all 3 of this staff’s original top DL targets are trending elsewhere. It’s bad a from a talent perspective and from a recruiting ability perspective. We routinely miss out on our top targets on the DL. That’s not good, even if the staff does an admirable job finding backup plans. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Collins, Fillinger, Arinze, Logan-Redding and a DT from Louisiana like Myron Warren that Ogre passes on because he is out of room for in-state kids?  We will get by we will survive.    Princely and BBQ wizard Price can enjoy the Station.  

You’re not contending for titles with 3* stars on the line. We missed out on Leal last year and we can not miss on Collins and Broughton it  means Texas becoming an elite program gets pushed back another year.

Edited by Not a Sock
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Magus Ossis said:

I feel like Beck is worth keeping. Given the way he's recruited, the thought of losing him scares the hell out of me. With the big push for collaborative playcalling these days, I'm fine with him staying on as OC as long as Herman has plenty of input on the plays. And, hopefully Fedora and Beatty sooner rather than later. 

You’re not contending for titles with 3* stars on the line. We missed out on Leal last year and we can not miss on Collins and Broughton it  means Texas becoming an elite program gets pushed back another year.

This. In terms of the odds, 3/3 was always extremely unlikely to happen. Even if said they each started out with an 80 percent chance at going to Texas, the probability of 3/3 is still a coin flip. In reality it was always lower than that. You can survive missing one. It happens. Not all three.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

I am too lazy to look it up, but what were the star ratings for Brian Robison,  Kheeston Randall,  Frank Okam, and Derek Lokey. 

And it's also not like we're out of it with any of them either. Just a few posts above me quotes Princely with Texas at #2 with two more visits planned. Collins is visiting Texas with Dorbah. I haven't heard much about Broughton's LSU visit, which may be a good thing. If the piggy stuff were true there'd be more smoke by now.

I'm not pumping sunshine, but let it play out before going full surly reactionary.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lemonandaturd said:

I think the Fillinger offer was a strong message to Princely to shit or GTFO.  He is now aggy bound it seems.  

Maybe, let's see where things are after the pool party. If he wants to go to aggy and not play for Elko as well as get moved inside, then fine. Though, I think Texas's last 2 OOS offers are his equal if not better.

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Maybe, let's see where things are after the pool party. If he wants to go to aggy and not play for Elko as well as get moved inside, then fine. Though, I think Texas's last 2 OOS offers are his equal if not better.

I just think that there are a lot of young men hungry for an offer, hungry for a chance that are being scouted.  Bama and SECx3 does not get all the studs.  See: Tyler Owens.  aggy made fun of us on this one until he blew up and they still downplay his upside compared to Slo'neal.