Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

At what point, when you’re dealing with a middle of the road 4 star who might be a tweener and almost certainly won’t be an elite difference maker that you’ve busted your ass harder than anyone else to recruit, do you just tell the guy to fuck off and pursue better alternatives?  Probably after next weekend.

Then there’s the whole issue of having a choice to go to Texas in your backyard or picking to move to College Station willingly. I’ll never respect it, and guys that talk up ATM in recruiting when Texas is in power or moving there can pretty much just go fuck themselves in my book. I’m cheering for the closing of Blidi and/or Fillinger, or one of them and the continued pursuit of others that get discovered as well. The flip is that if dipshit turns around and commits to Texas, okay, I’ll take it gladly as a recruiting dork, but he’ll be high on my “first guy in the transfer portal” betting pool. 

If he is going to be that much of a prima dona, we should be choosing between Blidi & Fillinger now.  Not sure what is gained by waiting another week if this guy is always going to be a transfer threat upon his commitment.  Jmo.

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

Orlando is an absolutely terrible recruiter

I thought the conventional wisdom on him was that he's a good recruiter in general? You may be right that he's losing the specific pitch about D-line position, but hasn't he done well with LB's and DB's?

Just now, texastough said:

I thought the conventional wisdom on him was that he's a good recruiter in general? You may be right that he's losing the specific pitch about D-line position, but hasn't he done well with LB's and DB's?

He doesn't recruit DBs, and LB hasn't been very good at all.

1 minute ago, cochamps said:

If he is going to be that much of a prima dona, we should be choosing between Blidi & Fillinger now.  Not sure what is gained by waiting another week if this guy is always going to be a transfer threat upon his commitment.  Jmo.

Well, I believe CTJ said that Blidi might be a grade risk. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cochamps said:

We'll have to actually recruit Fillinger. He has plenty of really good offers and is 100% CB'd to Michigan now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, texastough said:

I know he is not assigned to certain positions, but I thought he helped close all defensive prospects

Uh, he is assigned a certain position. And that position is LB. And yes, he probably has to help close all defensive prospects. Which has been abjectly shitty except for defensive backfield where, shockingly, we have 2 of the best recruiters on staff currently residing. 

Blidi vs. Umanlyman is a tough one. One one hand, I only want true TEXAS LONGHORNS on this team and you can fuck off if you ever even think about visiting another school because no school can compare to the UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS, especially our business school because it is so highly rated and most college athletes go pro in something other than sports. On the other hand, the reason we have a football team is so that we can fill it with good kids who graduate, and if you are a grade risk well then buddy guess what, you might not graduate even if you are a good kid. This is truly a catch-22. But that is why they pay GIles the big bucks, to make tough decisions like this. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Blidi vs. Umanlyman is a tough one. One one hand, I only want true TEXAS LONGHORNS on this team and you can fuck off if you ever even think about visiting another school because no school can compare to the UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS, especially our business school because it is so highly rated and most college athletes go pro in something other than sports. On the other hand, the reason we have a football team is so that we can fill it with good kids who graduate, and if you are a grade risk well then buddy guess what, you might not graduate even if you are a good kid. This is truly a catch-22. But that is why they pay GIles the big bucks, to make tough decisions like this. 

rbb-Oscar-Giles-2.jpg

Orlando isn’t going anywhere

Regarding Orlando/Giles and recruiting, Texas needs a 5th defensive assistant to be a Brewster/Dame Craig type of bullshit used toothbrush salesman for that side of the ball to help combat the SEC veteran negative recruiters. Top shelf defensive line recruiting might be the most competitive recruiting battles, and right now we’re showing up to bazooka fights with crayons 

• Like 5

At this point, I'd actually entertain the idea for one less coach on the field and putting carrington on the road. And I think Herman might have to consider cutting lose someone else to give Samples a full time coaching position. Because honestly, I'm pretty sure some school is going to poach him this offseason if we don't elevate him to on the field coach. But in either scenario, you're going to have to let go of two coaches, minimum. 

What are the levels of difficulty in regards to the intricacies of coaching WRs versus RB? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

I am so in favor of Herman getting more players that truly want to be at Texas verses the 4-5star guys who are excessively narcissistic.  Clemson not messing with the Evans circus is a great example for what some successful programs do to build their teams.  If you pay attention during recruiting a player, they often show you their true character... a leopard can't change its spots.  

Sorry, but this is mostly horseshit. It's the coaches job to convince talented kids that they are a fit for the program. You get the occasional weirdo like Evans who it might not be worth playing their game if we can land someone of comparable talent (are we sure that's gonna happen though?). But this "if he doesn't want to be here, we don't want him" nonsense is Aggy loser talk. There's no reason we can't convince elite players that they are a fit at Texas. 

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

What are the levels of difficulty in regards to the intricacies of coaching WRs versus RB? 

Especially when we would still have another WR coach. WE HAVE TWO FUCKING WR COACHES! I feel like I'm taking crazy pills sometimes.

Edited by irishtexan
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

At this point, I'd actually entertain the idea for one less coach on the field and putting carrington on the road. And I think Herman might have to consider cutting lose someone else to give Samples a full time coaching position. Because honestly, I'm pretty sure some school is going to poach him this offseason if we don't elevate him to on the field coach. But in either scenario, you're going to have to let go of two coaches, minimum. 

Yeah comparing him to Carrington, I think Samples actually wants to coach, so he'd be harder to placate with just a raise and a meaningless title bump.

Edited by texifornia

Additionally, as much as many here bag on Drayton, myself included, what happens if we bag Robinson in this class, and get an early verbal from Camar Wheaton in 2021? If you're Herman, at that point, you probably can't part with Drayton either. That leaves you back to the Wareheim and Mehringer options. 

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I was wondering about that too. Hopefully Beaty gets released soon and he and Samples can have RB and WR covered if we let Warehime go. We can pick up a DE/OLB coach/recruiter if we let Mehringer go. Probably need to keep Meekins for his Houston connections. 

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Additionally, as much as many here bag on Drayton, myself included, what happens if we bag Robinson in this class, and get an early verbal from Camar Wheaton in 2021? If you're Herman, at that point, you probably can't part with Drayton either. That leaves you back to the Wareheim and Mehringer options. 

If Ifs and Buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry first Wednesday in February.

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah. If Drayton gets those too, he's sticking around, but would love to see Beaty and Samples on staff. 

• Like 1

focusing on dudes who WANT to be a longhorn is a great idea.  helps weed out the shitheads.  however, mack only recruited guys who wanted to be longhorns.  that's one of the reasons why we are in the shit that we are in.  

at some point, our coaching staff is going to have to consistently convince good and great players who might not want to come here to come here.  you know, recruiting.  you think anyone really wants to live 4 years in columbus fucking ohio or college shithole station?

You're all kinda talking around the issue without specifically stating it. Herman has at least 2 good candidates in the waiting for the offensive side, both of which seem likely to take off soon if not offered a coaching position. However, there is a bigger need to jettison an offensive coach in favor of a defensive one, preferably one with strong recruiting chops. It'll be interesting to see how it shakes out, but it's not exactly Herman's MO to cut 3 coaches (Wareheim, Meh, and Drayton/Meekins).

I'm not sure any major program is jumping to hire Samples as an actual assistant coach right now. Does he even have any coaching experience? I thought Herman should've jettisoned Warehime for a DL coach when he hired Hand.

Edited by Bevo14

saban loses multiple coaches every year.  i believe he lost 5 coaches from last year's staff.  bama will probably again be in the final 4.  accountability is set from the top.  doesn't matter who saban brings in as replacement, excellence and accountability are expected.

herman needs to fire the shitheads and hire coaches who deliver.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

I'm not sure any major program is jumping to hire Samples as an actual assistant coach right now. Does he even have any coaching experience? I thought Herman should've jettisoned Warehime for a DL coach when he hired Hand.

Another crazy thought....  Beaty & Samples could both work with WR/TE's (Beaty runs the group)

Samples has never coached at a big time program.  You give him a big raise and tell him to learn under Herman with a spot on the staff in the future.  If he decides to go elsewhere, so be it.  Move Meekins to a desk job, with a high salary,  fire Warehime, fire Drayton, fire or keep Meh.  Bring on Fedora as WR coach/OC.  Bring on Beaty as RB coach.  Keep Beck at QB coach.  Bring on an ace recruiter at TE .  Add an ace recruiter to be your DE/OLB coach.  He needs to revamp this staff.  Many of these assistant coaches were not qualified to work at Texas and many have limited if any experience as coaches at P5 schools prior to coming to Texas.  

Also, Robinson interest is the work of Tim Beck.  Wheaton is Samples.  If either picks us, not sure it’s because of Drayton.  

Edited by victory88
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

saban loses multiple coaches every year.  i believe he lost 5 coaches from last year's staff.  bama will probably again be in the final 4.  accountability is set from the top.  doesn't matter who saban brings in as replacement, excellence and accountability are expected.

I agree with you, but Saban is also a once in a generation type coach. Very few coaches ever can survive the turnover he goes through on an annual basis, whether or not the forces of change are internal.

If you're expecting Herman to be Saban, I have some bad news for you.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

If you landed Ingram, Brown, Whittington, Robinson and Wheaton there is absolutely no way you can get rid of Drayton. That might be the best run of RB's at Texas that I can remember. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

i mean...he had turnover but in almost every case the guys left for a better job or a higher level job

• Dan Enos - became OC at Miami (AHC/QB to OC)
  • Mike Locksley - took HC job at Maryland (OC to HC)
  • Josh Gattis - took OC job at Michigan (Co OC to OC)
  • Tosh Lupoi - left for the NFL (OC to Browns DL coach)
  • Brent Key - left for Ga Tech (from OL Coach to AHC/Run Game Coordinator)
  • Joe Pannuzino - left for the NFL (RB to Director of Team Development w/ the Eagles)

Meanwhile, Texas hasn't had a coach leave for another job, in how long? not only a better job or a higher level job (WR to OC for example) but any job, period. 

there is something to say for continuity but these guys just maybe aren't that good.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

If you landed Ingram, Brown, Whittington, Robinson and Wheaton there is absolutely no way you can get rid of Drayton. That might be the best run of RB's at Texas that I can remember. 

He had nothing to do with Whittington, but landing back to back 5*s probably gets him a pay raise 

Just now, NoName said:

i mean...he had turnover but in almost every case the guys left for a better job or a higher level job

• Dan Enos - became OC at Miami (AHC/QB to OC)
  • Mike Locksley - took HC job at Maryland (OC to HC)
  • Josh Gattis - took OC job at Michigan (Co OC to OC)
  • Tosh Lupoi - left for the NFL (OC to Browns DL coach)
  • Brent Key - left for Ga Tech (from OL Coach to AHC/Run Game Coordinator)
  • Joe Pannuzino - left for the NFL (RB to Director of Team Development w/ the Eagles)

Meanwhile, Texas hasn't had a coach leave for another job, in how long? not only a better job or a higher level job (WR to OC for example) but any job, period. 

there is something to say for continuity but these guys just maybe aren't that good.  

Orlando, Drayton, and Mehringer all interviewed for jobs last cycle but had no takers. The most realistic path to the staff upgrades that have recruitniks frothing at the mouth is winning the conference, which will open up more opportunities for advancement as other programs offer them promotions.

Herman (and maybe CDC?) also put all non-coordinators on one-year contracts, but I have no idea whether there's any teeth to that or if it's all for show.

11 minutes ago, Fud said:

He had nothing to do with Whittington, but landing back to back 5*s probably gets him a pay raise 

Point being, if your RB room is stacked with talent its hard to justifiably fire the position coach. Regardless of how much involvement you had in bringing in those players. 

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That didn’t come from me. Not sure who it was, as I also read it, but not from me and not sure it is actually true, either. 

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Someone said OB (maybe Suchomel) said it. Big ole game of telephone.

IT said it as well.

To me, the bigger data point is that Texas had him come out to camp and supposedly liked him a lot, and then didn't offer him.

Neither did A&M, a school that is much more liberal with offers, and he camped there too.

9 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Orlando, Drayton, and Mehringer all interviewed for jobs last cycle but had no takers. The most realistic path to the staff upgrades that have recruitniks frothing at the mouth is winning the conference, which will open up more opportunities for advancement as other programs offer them promotions.

Herman (and maybe CDC?) also put all non-coordinators on one-year contracts, but I have no idea whether there's any teeth to that or if it's all for show.

Herman tried his best to sell the Meh/Warehime combo to anyone who would listen 2 years ago and failed. He's trying to sell Drayton & Orlando as HC candidates and that has not worked. Giles is likely headed to an analyst or fb operations role when done on the field. 

Who knows though, we go out and win 10-11 games to go along with a top 10 class this year and we could easily be having this same conversation for a 3rd year in a row.

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT said it as well.

To me, the bigger data point is that Texas had him come out to camp and supposedly liked him a lot, and then didn't offer him.

Neither did A&M, a school that is much more liberal with offers, and he camped there too.

Huh? Didn’t Texas follow-up with an offer?

2 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Herman tried his best to sell the Meh/Warehime combo to anyone who would listen 2 years ago and failed. He's trying to sell Drayton & Orlando as HC candidates and that has not worked. Giles is likely headed to an analyst or fb operations role when done on the field. 

Who knows though, we go out and win 10-11 games to go along with a top 10 class this year and we could easily be having this same conversation for a 3rd year in a row.

Are we all just making shit up now?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Huh? Didn’t Texas follow-up with an offer?

Just now, Stampeder said:

Believe so.  If memory serves, we didn't offer immediately and speculation was grades needed vetting.  Offer came in a day later or thereabouts.

247 doesn't report an offer and neither does his Twitter. I think someone took this unclearly written TFB tweet to mean he'd been offered (unless the premium article actually says he's been offered).

• Like 1