Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

53 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

And it's also not like we're out of it with any of them either. Just a few posts above me quotes Princely with Texas at #2 with two more visits planned. Collins is visiting Texas with Dorbah. I haven't heard much about Broughton's LSU visit, which may be a good thing. If the piggy stuff were true there'd be more smoke by now.

I'm not pumping sunshine, but let it play out before going full surly reactionary.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The point is that we've gone from saying that all three were locks at various points during their recruitments to saying 'let's wait and see what happens, they're not gone yet' for our all of our top DL targets. Even if we manage to land 1 or 2 of them it's pretty clear that a certain position coach sucks at half of his job

20 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

I just think that there are a lot of young men hungry for an offer, hungry for a chance that are being scouted.  Bama and SECx3 does not get all the studs.  See: Tyler Owens.  aggy made fun of us on this one until he blew up and they still downplay his upside compared to Slo'neal.  

Of the 3, I'm indifferent towards Princely.  Plenty of other guys with a similar skill set.  Broughton and Collins is a different story.  There's no one else on our board with their talent.  

12 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

The point is that we've gone from saying that all three were locks at various points during their recruitments to saying 'let's wait and see what happens, they're not gone yet' for our all of our top DL targets. Even if we manage to land 1 or 2 of them it's pretty clear that a certain position coach sucks at half of his job

Who said they were locks? Dumbass 9.95ers that don't really have a clue. Shit, Texas just got a 2021 kid to commit and none of them knew anything until Carrington tweeted out a 🤫

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

And it's also not like we're out of it with any of them either. Just a few posts above me quotes Princely with Texas at #2 with two more visits planned. Collins is visiting Texas with Dorbah. I haven't heard much about Broughton's LSU visit, which may be a good thing. If the piggy stuff were true there'd be more smoke by now.

I'm not pumping sunshine, but let it play out before going full surly reactionary.

But full Surly meltdowns are so much fun....

giphy.gif

I think Herman views the set of players who are cut out for his program as pretty small relative to some other programs who will take just about anybody.  Culture fit and all that.  It has an element of hubris.  So when guys go in other directions, he doesn't necessarily see it as an indictment of a particular recruiter but tends to see it as just the natural order of things playing out.  But three cycles make a trend so it should be obvious, even in his world, that certain positions are not pulling their weight.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, campcrunk said:

The recruiting dead weight on this staff is absolutely infuriating. Giles, Mehringer, Warehime, and Drayton are massive governors on what should be an elite recruiting operation - and, because of the positions they handle, RB and DL in particular - on the ceiling of the program as a whole. For a guy who insists on single year deals for most of his staff, Herman doesn't seem to be demanding much at all from those four in terms of accountability.

look, i get what everyone is saying and how people hate on Mehringer...but he isn't on the same level of failure as the majority of the other recruiting failures on the staff. 

• Like 2

Mehringer can fuck off and die, and we literally had to move meekins to IWR to this past year to placate some players, which is arguably responsible for one of the biggest resource inefficiencies on the staff (other than herman’s decision making). 

But at least he can fall ass backwards into recruits we can win with at his position. Considering their production versus their position and expectations, Drayton and Giles are so far below the recruiting performance they need to be at their positions its fucking absurd. Giles getting outworked by Arkansas for a kid who was all Texas, and lets not forget the nearby Texas legacy that was so blown away hes slowing things down and even his mom is fine with him making his own decision.  Even wareheim landed two plus prospects at his position last year, even if he cant make it rain elsewhere. Giles and Drayton struggle to make it sprinkle during Monsoon season. 

• Like 3

Wasn’t Herman’s position that he wanted some continuity on staff? There has been a lot of coaching turnover and he didn’t want people questioning stability in the program.

If we have a standout year I could see this being the last for any deadweight staff. Personally I think Giles is a great coach so I’d like to see him stay and have someone else pick up slack on the DL recruiting.

8 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

I am too lazy to look it up, but what were the star ratings for Brian Robison,  Kheeston Randall,  Frank Okam, and Derek Lokey. 

Rodrique Wright, Brian Orakpo, Jackson Jeffcoat, and Malcom Brown were the four D-linemen who achieved Consensus All-America status under Mack in the Rivals era.

5*, 4*, 5*, and 5* respectively. THAT's the talent Bama and Georgia now bring in on their D-lines, and what we need to be bringing in.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, victory88 said:

Of the 3, I'm indifferent towards Princely.  Plenty of other guys with a similar skill set.  Broughton and Collins is a different story.  There's no one else on our board with their talent.  

Losing Broughton would be worse than losing Collins by a fair margin. This would be the second year in a row Herman took over the recruitment of an elite D-lineman, only to lose him to A&M.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Losing Broughton would be worse than losing Collins by a fair margin. This would be the second year in a row Herman took over the recruitment of an elite D-lineman, only to lose him to A&M.

Losing Collins is worse, imo 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

and the further point is that this is the second year in a row that has happened.

2 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

We’re dipping into New Mexico. That’s another country and obvious evidence of how bad things are.

It seems like there are lots of good players from Canada. How come we don't see many players from Old Mexico and New Mexico?

2 hours ago, satyanash said:

Except that Collins is good at football. Broughton is potential and projection but by all means don't let that get in the way of a quality melt. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

One is a point, two is a coincidence, three is a trend.

Even this is an oversimplification, IMO. I don't think you need to break it down to the macro level of years to define a trend. There's been about a dozen different points that we can identify for individual recruitments in different classes. 

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

While I’m not arguing a rant and a dogpile on Oscar’s “Hustle Never Sleeps” thread isn’t merited, I do think the Umanmainlymanian recruitment bears further thought irrespective of the dipshit recruiting him. 

This guy has been looking for a reason to go elsewhere during the entirety of the cycle thus far. He talked up OU to people for a while. He’s now talking up ATM. In the process he’s searched for reasons as to why Texas is a backup pick in his backyard. With OU, Texas doesn’t win enough or put guys in the pros. The winning thing, fine, we’re coming up but yeah, OU has dominated the conference while we’ve been down. But a draft history over the last 11 years goes a long way of removing illusions for defensive players about OU putting defenders in the pros. 

So then you have ATM contending that he’s apparently going to be Bruce Smith in their defense and if he comes to Texas, he’s going to be turned into the defensive version of a buttplug inside so that all of the other defenders can get the glory. The counters to this argument are, you know, facts and film footage. However, sometimes that isn’t good enough. Then you have voices in the ear saying “maybe there’s a bunch of better options out east”. 

At what point, when you’re dealing with a middle of the road 4 star who might be a tweener and almost certainly won’t be an elite difference maker that you’ve busted your ass harder than anyone else to recruit, do you just tell the guy to fuck off and pursue better alternatives?  Probably after next weekend.

Then there’s the whole issue of having a choice to go to Texas in your backyard or picking to move to College Station willingly. I’ll never respect it, and guys that talk up ATM in recruiting when Texas is in power or moving there can pretty much just go fuck themselves in my book. I’m cheering for the closing of Blidi and/or Fillinger, or one of them and the continued pursuit of others that get discovered as well. The flip is that if dipshit turns around and commits to Texas, okay, I’ll take it gladly as a recruiting dork, but he’ll be high on my “first guy in the transfer portal” betting pool. 

giphy.gif

I am so in favor of Herman getting more players that truly want to be at Texas verses the 4-5star guys who are excessively narcissistic.  Clemson not messing with the Evans circus is a great example for what some successful programs do to build their teams.  If you pay attention during recruiting a player, they often show you their true character... a leopard can't change its spots.  

Princely seems to really want to get away from home so he probably ends up an aggy.  Btw way, love the new term Ctj just created:    Umanmainlymanian 

17 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

Didn’t they start a brawl or something?

Not a brawl, but more than one player threw punches during the game I watched. One of them had already been flagged for unnecessary roughness on a play (as I recall, he was on the ground and pulled an opposing player down by his balls). He was immediately flagged, stood up, and threw a punch (at the guy HE grabbed by the balls) right in front of the ref. Of course he was ejected. But there was a lot of stuff like that in the game. It was extremely unnecessary and really impacted the flow of the game and their ability to move the ball. Seems like they had 200 yards in penalties. Seriously one of the ugliest games I have ever seen.