Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Just skimmed through the IT post.

-there is indeed a plan for a return trip this month, but no date was specified

-his sister is a 2021 basketball recruit, and we may need to offer her

-Texas still leads, but it's a close race

Close race with arky or aggy or both?  Because if it’s close with aggy right now with an upcoming OV, well that would be unfortunate. 

54 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Eh. Not sure it's meltdown worthy. But it's certainly another data point on a trend line. 

IT is beginning to hedge on Broughton for sure. I had a bad feeling when he would not commit when he was all Texas all of the time. The odds still favor us but we have left the door open for the field. 

5 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

IT is beginning to hedge on Broughton for sure. I had a bad feeling when he would not commit when he was all Texas all of the time. The odds still favor us but we have left the door open for the field. 

Thanks Obama! I mean...Oscar!! (no CR)

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Wait so the dad paid money, drove his son to the SMU campus for the camp, and waited in line to take a picture with Herman just so his son could be an asshole. That kid has no chance in life with a father like that.

I mean his dad is a lawyer with a degree from OU.  My assumption is that leads to a career largely associated with meth addicts, dead beats, murderers and prostitutes.  I actually kind of expect this from his offspring.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I can't really quibble with this staff's recruiting strategy, but it was always puzzling to me why we chose to be his first OV. Never like being in that position unless it's with a kid who is already committed 

If we cannot sign Broughton, a kid we made the top priority who he and his family both love Texas  then I will more than quibble with our strategy. That's a full on coat hanger abortion level fail by our staff. 

Edited by Newy25
  • Like 4

43 minutes ago, Ravishing Rick said:

The horns down never bothers me - in my view it simply shows the Sooner fans' insecurity with themselves.  Instead of promoting their own school, they choose to attempt to attack their rival, instead.  They have little brother syndrome.

To be fair, it’s not always easy to have a bag of dicks on you when these photo opportunities arise.

46 minutes ago, Ravishing Rick said:

The horns down never bothers me - in my view it simply shows the Sooner fans' insecurity with themselves.  Instead of promoting their own school, they choose to attempt to attack their rival, instead.  They have little brother syndrome.

While I agree with your Horns down position, I sincerely doubt they suffer from little brother syndrome when it comes to college athletics.

1 minute ago, IBuryPaul said:

While I agree with your Horns down position, I sincerely doubt they suffer from little brother syndrome when it comes to college athletics.

They do with literally every other facet of their lives, which is why the sports gloating means so much to them

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

What's funny is the grandfather is so proud, yet all it shows is grandson is an asshole, and will have problem getting scholarship offers because coaches won't put up with bullshit.

What you tell someone about to perform in a drama or musical performance to wish them well. What you don't say is "good luck".

....so....break a leg.

InsideTexas Inside Scoop (for those curious)

By: Eric, Joe, and Justin

We're talking Vernon Broughton, Bryson Washington, the Hullaby brothers, and much more. June has had a nice start for Texas recruiting. Let's discuss over some Monday Scoop.

A COUPLE OF TEAM NOTES

Some of this might be a tad redundant but I heard a little more from last week. As you know, last Tuesday the team (sans freshman) began 7 on 7. Most of the guys who were injured in the spring weren't thrust into action but that's precautionary. They know what Collin Johnson and Brandon Jones can do already.

In this setting Malcolm Epps continues to light it up. He's just too damn big. The corners struggle with the height, especially D'Shawn Jamison. That said, they really like Jamison and are moving him to field corner which makes obvious sense. With Anthony Cook out for the first half versus La Tech, Jamison and Kobe Boyce are battling to start opposite Jalen Green. Right now Jamison has that edge but that won't be solidified until August. Keeping in mind the freshmen were sequestered, Jalen Green is the fastest defensive back and Josh Moore is the fastest wide receiver. Moore did tweak a hamstring but it doesn't sound serious.

Expectations are extremely high for the offense regardless of who we talk to. That's not the easiest thing to believe given the not-so-explosive unit last year, as well as the spring game, but Ehlinger is really throwing the ball around. Devin Duvernay seems poised for a big season. Last year we knew LJH was going to blow up based on practice/7-on-7 reports. We're beginning to think the same is possible for Duvernay in his senior season.

Jake Smith has also been mentioned as a potential #2 receiver, though he has a long way to go toward earning it. He's surprised people around campus with his size. "He looks like a young safety." I was curious who the hardest workers on the team were. The names immediately mentioned were Junior Angilau and Joseph Ossai. This is a fun time of year as the beginning of the 2019 story arc. It'll be fun to hear who is progressing and pushing for playing time over the next two-and-a-half months.

DL Vernon Broughton, Cy Ridge (Houston, TX): The top target from my vantage on the Texas recruiting board took his official visit to LSU this past weekend. The sentiment in Austin seems to be they're not concerned about any one school, but they do seem to have concerns he's more open than they thought after he took his official visit to Texas in May. At that point he seemed like a formality, though that isn't to say they let their foot off the gas. Broughton was in contact with Texas briefly this weekend. UT is still definitely in it and he is enjoying his five official visits. There's a very good chance he'll make an unofficial visit this month along with his sister, who is a 2021 basketball recruit.

From September: "One aspect to watch here is Vernon's younger sister, Asia, who is a 2021 basketball player in her mother's image. She already holds a handful of offers and is receiving UT and Houston interest." Asia is a rising prospect on the court and I wouldn't be surprised if an offer from Coach Karen Aston came this summer. With Vernon's mother saying you have to recruit the whole family, Texas might start taking that literally. I'm still picking UT in the end but this recruitment has become tighter than I anticipated after talking to his mom a few weeks ago.

WR/TE DeShawn Hanika, Butler C.C. (El Dorado, KS):The Butler did it twice last cycle with defensive lineman Jacoby Jones enrolling early and linebacker Juwan Mitchell arriving last week. In its travels to Kansas the staff happened upon their teammate DeShawn Hanika. His path to Juco: "Yeah, I transferred after my freshman year and had to sit out my sophomore year and even then I was still focused on basketball. It wasn’t until the summer before my senior year I took football serious." His former teammates on Texas: "They love it. All they have to say is good things about the program." Current suitors: "UNI, Wyoming, Minnesota a little bit, and Iowa a little, and TCU just hit me up the other day."

Hanika sent me some clips from camp and he looked good. I need to find out what he measured in at. He's listed at 6-foot-6, 215 pounds. He obviously has some size to him. Him moving well is important because he does have some injury history to be concerned about. I'm hoping he can put together a great year. He has the traits to blow up this fall and could be a great early ID by the staff. Based on the clips I saw he could play X and could be another late-cycle option. He was a full qualifier out of high school and will have three years after this upcoming season of eligibility.

DE Devin Grant, Antonian Prep (San Antonio, TX): Here's an example of the staff showing intentions. From February: #28 on a defensive end? This class is out of control. If he's legitimately 6-foot-4, 245, this dude is one to watch. I like this kid. He has some basketball athleticism and change-of-direction to him. He measured in at 6-foot-2.5, 230 pounds. That would be B-backer territory and we know Texas feels good on Prince Dorbah but on Sunday he camped as a tight end. He's being recruited as a defensive end, outside linebacker, and tight end, but Texas is the only school he'd play tight end for.

If something materialized in that regard, he would be a "move" piece/Y-back rather than a traditional in-line or flex player. He also likes Tennessee, Minnesota, and Texas Tech. The takeaway here is the staff seems like it would take another Y if they find one it likes. That's good because I'm liking Hullaby at linebacker and you can't bank on Ja'Quinden Jackson playing any one position. Interesting aside on that: if Texas can get a commitment from Chris Thompson in addition to Hullaby and Jackson, they could have both zero and three linebackers committed for the class. I'll have more recruiting notes tomorrow.

LJ JOHNSON

Texas has two offers out to 2021 running backs, Lakeview Centennial’s Camar Wheaton and Georgia powerhouse Grayson’s Phil Mafah.

Cy-Fair RB LJ Johnson tripped to Nacogdoches from Cypress on Saturday to try and make a case to be offer No. 3, as well as show off his game to the double-digit college programs who traveled to SFA from across the country.

“It wasn’t too far and there were a lot of colleges here, some I have,” Johnson said. “I thought it’d be a good opportunity to showcase my skills in front of them.”

Johnson currently has 11 offers including Michigan, Baylor, Arkansas, Duke, Arizona, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and TCU.

Although the Longhorns haven’t yet offered, he remains in contact with Stan Drayton, who Johnson said he spoke with on Friday.

“They like my film, and they want me to get up for a visit soon,” Johnson said about Texas. “I’m probably going to be up there this month, definitely this month or next month.”

Cy-Fair runs an old-school offense with a significant amount of I-formation or single-setback with Johnson as the bell cow. His film showcases the way he describes his game. “I’d probably say I’m one cut-and-go,” he said.

Johnson plans to see Arkansas, Oklahoma State, Baylor, Nebraska, and TCU this summer in addition to seeing Texas.

DENVER HARRIS

2020 and 2021 aren’t the only classes at Galena Park North Shore that have talent. Just ask 2022 CB Denver Harris. Harris camped at Texas on Sunday and enjoyed his time working in Austin with Texas CB coach Jason Washington and several current Longhorns. “I got better,” Harris said. “It was very high-paced, and a couple players were helping us getting our technique right. It was good.” Harris measured in at 5-foot-11.5, 176 pounds at the camp, but joked that he took that as “6-foot, 6-foot-1 on the field.” He also told reporters he ran a 4.53 during the camp.

Harris is a phenomenal talent for a rising sophomore, but he’s yet to take a snap on varsity for North Shore. The Texas staff doesn’t offer prospects until they have taken a varsity snap, and that’s something Harris understands. “If that’s their policy, I can’t be mad at that,” Harris told Inside Texas. “I’m just going to continue to focus on getting better and when the time comes I’ll be ready. UT is a school I think highly of and definitely can’t wait for the offer.” Whenever that time comes, he’ll already have a connection to Jason Washington. “He talks a lot,” Harris said. “He makes sure I get it. He moves at my pace. If I want to take it slow, he goes slower. If I want to ask him a question, he’s very patient with me.” Harris plans to camp at LSU and Texas A&M this summer.

JORDAN CROOK

One of the benefits of college camp season is the opportunity for underclassmen to grab the attention of college coaches. 2022 Dallas Bishop Dunne LB Jordan Crook already had the attention of some colleges, but after camping at Texas he is on the Longhorns’ radar.

Being teammates with 2020 commit Jaden Hullaby means Crook already knew a little about the Longhorn program. “Everybody’s engaged over here, and it’s like a family atmosphere down here,” Crook said after the camp. “Life after football, (Jaden) mentioned that a lot with the connections and stuff like that. The fun that comes with it, every time he comes down here he always wants me and Landon (Hullaby, 2022) to come with him and get a feel for it too.”

His first visit to Austin opened up his eyes a lot more. “It was just talking about getting a feel because this is my first time down here,” Crook said. “We went in there and they showed us a lot of love, a lot of stuff like where they picture me and in their uniform, stuff like that. Different things, and how I could maybe fit into their system. They were like ‘just definitely come back’ and I told them I’d be back soon. I’ll be back with Jaden.” In fewer words, “they showed nothing but love.”

Texas made such an impression that Crook plans to return later this month. He described himself as a versatile athlete who can play multiple LB positions. He explained he even dropped back to safety at times for Bishop Dunne, showing he can play all over the field.

The camp experience was a sneak-peek for Crook at how the Longhorn football program operates. “I love the atmosphere,” Crook said. “I thought it was very intense. From the camp perspective, I stood by Coach Orlando for a long time just watching him and getting engaged. He’s pretty tough, but that’s stuff that you need and stuff that you look forward to. I definitely got a good vibe off of it. I thought it was a great experience for my first time coming here.”

In addition to visiting Texas again later this month, Crook said he wants to visit Oklahoma State, Georgia Tech, LSU, Baylor, and Southern Cal.  About that potential Bishop Dunne pipeline...

BISHOP DUNNE FOOTBALL

“It was amazing. All love.” - Texas ‘20 pledge Jaden Hullaby, on his latest trip to Austin

When Jaden committed to Texas in late March, it might've opened a door to the 2018 TAPPS Division I champs. Jaden, 6-foot-2, 205, rushed for 1,181 yards on 229 carries, added 396 receiving yards, and finished the year with 16 touchdowns. Jaden is an athlete take in 2020 with eyes on FB/Y or LB. 

His brother, Landon, is also an athlete worth watching. Landon holds 15 offers including USC, Arkansas, Georgia Tech, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, and Utah. He was on campus over the weekend. 

“Texas is just a great program,” said Landon. ”The players and coaches have a great family environment and the players are truly cared for.”

Landon can play on both sides of the ball, but defense might be his preference. 

“I’m versatile and a playmaker," said Landon. "I can play corner, safety, and nickel.”

Since the brothers aspire to be business majors, the Hullabys and Texas make sense. Getting a foot in the door to Bishop Dunne does too. Jordan Crook is a rare LB in-state that can hit andcover. 

“Like I said, Texas is just a really good program and everyone is cared for and they play good Texas football,” Landon said. 

They'll all be back on June 21st for the big OV weekend. Works for me. 

2020 SAFETY RECRUITING

With Jordan Toles (Maryland) committing to LSU last weekend, Major Burns already in the Tigers’ class, and Blinn DB Marco Domio looking Baton Rouge-bound, the spots are continuing to fill up across defensive back big boards nationwide. This bodes well for Texas and Salpointe Catholic (AZ) four-star Lathan Ransom.

While LSU still has Ransom has a top target, the secondary is getting crowded. With Lorando Johnson as their potential nickel take, they might envision Domio as a shutdown corner. Either way, it could help Texas, who gets Ransom and his family back on campus for an OV this weekend.

As for Bryson Washington, the C.E. King four-star took an impromptu visit to Austin this weekend. Texas QB pledge Hudson Card took Washington and some players out on his boat on Lake Travis. Major bonding time, Wild Hogs style.

Washington is returning on 6/21 for his OV, and Oklahoma will assuredly push to get him back on campus before his July 4th announcement date.

From speaking with sources close to both programs, I'd categorize Washington as 50/50 Texas/OU today. Coach Naivar continues to build a great relationship with the Washingtons, and the UT players/commits kicking in over the weekend only helps UT's cause.

EMEKA MEGWA 

At 6-foot-0, 200 pounds, the 2022 running back offer from Texas was back in the ATX on Sunday. The Fort Worth Nolan Catholic product has accumulated 20 offers before turning 16 years old. LSU, Florida, Ohio State, OU, and Texas A&M are among the suitors. This was the first time back in Austin since receiving a UT offer.

“It's a great city,” said Megwa. “I honestly didn’t know how great it was. I have an opportunity to play college football in that city. (Texas) was just keeping it real and they hard on academics. It's exactly what I'm looking for in a school."

What was the biggest draw after hanging out with the coaches and players? “Life after football," Megwa said. "Great alumni base and just a team that’s a family and obviously a great football team.” Megwa hopes to return in July for another UOV and catch a game at DKR this fall. Good start, UT staff.

THREE FINAL NOTES 

No. 1 -- Lewisville 2022 WR Armani Winfield is legit. I caught up with the 6-foot-2.5 pass-catcher on Saturday. Essentially, he’s very enthusiastic about Texas and is building a great relationship with Coach Samples and the staff.

No. 2 -- Pleasant Grove 2021 DE/OLB Landon Jackson is probable for an Austin UOV on 6/21. That weekend is looking large.

No. 3 -- Port Arthur Memorial 2021 DE Jordon Thomas is as advertised. At 6-foot-3, 235, he was a man among boys at Saturday's satellite camp at SFA. Even better than his dominant play was his attitude. While some prospects let the recruiting game go to their head, this kid is as humble as they get.

So I’ll have more Scoop tomorrow.

• Like 2

Just now, JFKFC said:

"The names immediately mentioned were Junior Angilau and Joseph Ossai."

Ossai led us in tackles in the Sugar Bowl. He may be our Defensive POY when 2019 ends. Straight gangster.

"Man, one of the guys in this class, he grew up in maroon pajamas"

-Tom Herman, 2018

3 hours ago, Ravishing Rick said:

I hate the sooners but this is one of the dumbest takes I've ever read on this board.  They do not have little brother syndrome. 

3 minutes ago, Luka Skywalker said:

I hate the sooners but this is one of the dumbest takes I've ever read on this board.  They do not have little brother syndrome. 

Their football program? Perhaps not. Debatable.  

Many of their other sports programs and many of their fans? Absolutely. 

• Like 1

Wait so the dad paid money, drove his son to the SMU campus for the camp, and waited in line to take a picture with Herman just so his son could be an asshole. That kid has no chance in life with a father like that.

Hold on now. Drive to the Cotton Bowl. Find Barry Switzer. And slap him upside his head. Sounds cool to me.
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

Their football program? Perhaps not. Debatable.  

Many of their other sports programs and many of their fans? Absolutely. 

Anyone debating that at this point is aggy level delusional. Maybe they are jealous of all our conference titles... and CFB playoff appearances...

6 hours ago, Ravishing Rick said:

ok, I guess.  except our little bro has like 8x as many conference championships as we do in the last 20 years.  but we’re still big bro...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

Anyone debating that at this point is aggy level delusional. Maybe they are jealous of all our conference titles... and CFB playoff appearances...

1 hour ago, futureman said:

ok, I guess.  except our little bro has like 8x as many conference championships as we do in the last 20 years.  but we’re still big bro...

But we have the most recent national championship and I guarantee you that bothers them.  And our history isn’t riddled with cheating scandals. 

Edited by GotThatFire

1 minute ago, lemonandaturd said:

He gone?  

His spot in the class could be, pretty soon. I am rooting against him, so I am happy to see him moving further away. 

Now Collins and Broughton, we don’t have viable fallback options. Those guys need to be closed. It’s fucking pathetic how incompetent we are at recruiting the DL compared to great recruiters can do at Texas on the DL front. 

• Like 5

Yeah, pretty sure aggy has brainwashed him.  At some point Herman needs to take a strong look at his weak recruiters.  Giles, Drayton, Warehime need to go yesterday.  Hell keep Giles but get him some help for fucks sake.

Edited by victory88

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

His spot in the class could be, pretty soon. I am rooting against him, so I am happy to see him moving further away. 

Now Collins and Broughton, we don’t have viable fallback options. Those guys need to be closed. It’s fucking pathetic how incompetent we are at recruiting the DL compared to great recruiters can do at Texas on the DL front. 

That Van Fillinger visit and offer must have really pissed him off.